Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

"Cool" I think, I finally got something worth saving on my dash c... oh... :smith:

I'm running into that a lot - my new stereo basically goes to static anytime the dashcam is plugged in (on both AM and FM), so it's been unplugged more often than plugged in. :smith:

I really need to get a decent power supply for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LloydDobler posted:

The video cracked me up because your reaction is the same as mine usually is. loving GO JESUS CHRIST.

I had one the other day where I was in a driveway waiting to enter the street, and another car was in another driveway across the street ready to do the same thing. A lady comes down the street, we're waiting for her to go by so we can enter traffic, and she loving stops to let us out. Doesn't wave, or look, or anything, just parks in the middle of the god drat road. I said the same thing then too.

Had this poo poo happen on our version of the interstate last week, except I was behind the guy who suddenly decided to stop to let the other one in. He gave me the finger for being upset about it. Really, this is fairly common and I see people in the right lane slow down, sometimes almost to the point of stopping, to let mergers in all the time and it's completely infuriating.

Also had a guy try to switch into my lane while I was still occupying it the other day, but hitting the brakes and horn was enough to avoided contact.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Fushin posted:

http://youtu.be/6yOJyc-Z7E8

I was worried I didn't get it all on camera, but I did. :)

This is absolutely amazing. It looked like it was flat asphalt on camera so I guess if you've missed your exit it looks like that too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think that excuses a maneuver like that though, exit be damned :)

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

mobby_6kl posted:

Had this poo poo happen on our version of the interstate last week, except I was behind the guy who suddenly decided to stop to let the other one in. He gave me the finger for being upset about it. Really, this is fairly common and I see people in the right lane slow down, sometimes almost to the point of stopping, to let mergers in all the time and it's completely infuriating.

Also had a guy try to switch into my lane while I was still occupying it the other day, but hitting the brakes and horn was enough to avoided contact.

Agreed, if the merging lane is close to traffic speed then it's not a big deal to slow down a little. It's when there is a huge disparity that it's ridiculous. Let the slower vehicle merge behind you so they can speed up a little more while waiting.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

some texas redneck posted:

I'm running into that a lot - my new stereo basically goes to static anytime the dashcam is plugged in (on both AM and FM), so it's been unplugged more often than plugged in. :smith:

I really need to get a decent power supply for it.

I had my G1 neatly wired in and hidden away, no FM interference, but the power supply just upped and died so now I get to rewire it all. And how do I find this out? by having the first really postable fucknut be utterly missed- a large rental van decided to cross the main road from a side street, seemingly right in front of me, making me very glad I had reasonably fresh tyres and brake pads, fucker seemed utterly oblivious. I get home, glad I had something to show, examine the card and it hadn't been recording for days.

Maybe it should go in the OP not to trust the cheap piece of poo poo PSUs they come with?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

DesperateDan posted:

I had my G1 neatly wired in and hidden away, no FM interference, but the power supply just upped and died so now I get to rewire it all. And how do I find this out? by having the first really postable fucknut be utterly missed- a large rental van decided to cross the main road from a side street, seemingly right in front of me, making me very glad I had reasonably fresh tyres and brake pads, fucker seemed utterly oblivious. I get home, glad I had something to show, examine the card and it hadn't been recording for days.

Maybe it should go in the OP not to trust the cheap piece of poo poo PSUs they come with?

For G1(+W)s:

Cigarette Lighter to 2 USB: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2-Port-Charger-Total-Output/dp/B00511PS3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411925736&sr=8-1
15ft Mini USB Cable: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-15-Feet-Mini-B-Ferrite-105450/dp/B002KL8N6A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411925748&sr=8-2
Adhesive Tape (it's outdoor type, in case that bothers anyone): http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Exterior-Mounting-1-Inch-60-Inch/dp/B00004Z4BV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411925819&sr=8-2

That was what I was using. I'm almost ready to buy a mini 0803 and move the G1W to the rear, so my new setup looks like this:

Same 15ft Mini USB cable as above
Same adhesive tape as above
(2x) 15ft Micro USB cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NLLI1E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
New G1(+W) mount for relocation: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOK1394/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4-Port USB Hub from Cigarette Lighter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H2FK7O0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Wickerman posted:

For G1(+W)s:

Cigarette Lighter to 2 USB: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2-Port-Charger-Total-Output/dp/B00511PS3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411925736&sr=8-1
15ft Mini USB Cable: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-15-Feet-Mini-B-Ferrite-105450/dp/B002KL8N6A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411925748&sr=8-2
Adhesive Tape (it's outdoor type, in case that bothers anyone): http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Exterior-Mounting-1-Inch-60-Inch/dp/B00004Z4BV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411925819&sr=8-2

That was what I was using. I'm almost ready to buy a mini 0803 and move the G1W to the rear, so my new setup looks like this:

Same 15ft Mini USB cable as above
Same adhesive tape as above
(2x) 15ft Micro USB cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NLLI1E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
New G1(+W) mount for relocation: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOK1394/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4-Port USB Hub from Cigarette Lighter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H2FK7O0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, but I bought a little 12V to 5V mini USB (looks similar to the one in the OP but with the correct connector) a few days ago, I'm going to tap power from my cig lighter or from the fusebox and run a cable behind the dash, up the side pillar, through the headliner where I can stash the component box for the 12V-5V in the light/sunroof bit, then drop the mini cable down to the rear view mirror, where I spliced in part of my mount so it became part of the rear view mirror mount. Hopefully will be doing this tomorrow so will take some pics. I tried the adapter to adapter thing before and I want to do it a bit cleaner this time.

And after being aggressively tailgated today (gently caress you buddy I was already a fair bit over the limit) I sure am considering a rear cam option too. Couldn't see the fuckheads numberplate he was so close at points :(

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I connected my G1W with a DC to USB Adapater plugged into a Add-A-Circuit in my fusebox. USB cord runs up the a pillar, along the headliner, and down to the camera. Works great, no interference at all, and it only costs around $10. I've got it going to the window/sunroof fuse which is on from the time you turn the key to the on position, until you turn the car off/acc and either open a door or wait 15 minutes. With the extra USB spot I've got a power cord coming out of my console near my phone holder, and still have the cig lighter available if it's ever needed for something.

It was easy to put in, you don't need to solder or anything, it uses crimp clips. Just make sure you've got a place near your fusebox to put the ground.

Pivit fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 28, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Caught Nissan doing some manufacturer testing the other today.

Michigan manufacturer plates, mismatched paint on the front one, no model badging on the one in the rear (the first photo above).

As far as hardwiring, I have the one above in my Grand Cherokee tapped into the ground and key-on wires feeding my EVIC, so I don't even have wires running up the pillar. The one I'm wiring into the CR-V I'm using the add-a-fuse like mentioned already, I just need to find a longer mini-USB cable since there's fuckall for a straight shot while keeping the cord as hidden as possible up the pillar.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Crosspostin' from my thread:

Forgot to take pics of the inital cable run, I tapped the cig lighter and ran power round under the gearstick trim, through under the glovebox, entirely out of sight.

Mmmmn. Torx bolts.

All the trim came off (and went back on) a shitload easier than my dearly departed mazda though. Chose the passenger side A pillar because there's an existing cable run/clips for the overhead lights, in which my cabling was tucked, then taped a bit for good measure.

The box wedged into the headliner like it was made to fit, then I duct taped the cables to the top of the headliner to try and prevent rattles. If I do have any issues, I can get into this area easily to fix it.

And it even worked first time and everything.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 29, 2014

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Just tried using my cellphone (iphone 5S) as a dashcam and it's pretty decent for the price (free...)
Any reason I should get a permanent setup, knowing I don't want to leave anything visible in the car (downtown, they steal pennies left in the cupholder).

EDIT: Phone gets hotter than the sun doing this, getting a standalone unit...

Spatule fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 2, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I tried it with my Galaxy Note 2 for a short while but recording video, running GPS, and streaming bluetooth was more than it could handle. Performance got choppy in all three apps and it actually managed to trigger the thermal battery protection.

The drunks you share the road with - watch the left-hand side of the intersection just as the light turns green in my direction. What you don't see after he goes out of frame is that he kept driving next to me until I goosed it a bit, and stayed in the shoulder behind me (seriously angry that I gave it a bit of gas) until the very end of the video when he finally turned off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttdp3jvQzSo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I tried it with my Galaxy Note 2 for a short while but recording video, running GPS, and streaming bluetooth was more than it could handle. Performance got choppy in all three apps and it actually managed to trigger the thermal battery protection.

The drunks you share the road with - watch the left-hand side of the intersection just as the light turns green in my direction. What you don't see after he goes out of frame is that he kept driving next to me until I goosed it a bit, and stayed in the shoulder behind me (seriously angry that I gave it a bit of gas) until the very end of the video when he finally turned off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttdp3jvQzSo

And you didn't call the cops why?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was driving, couldn't get a license plate (even in the video), and given that a road rage incident over here ended in a murder just the other day, was focused more on getting away than anything else.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was driving, couldn't get a license plate (even in the video), and given that a road rage incident over here ended in a murder just the other day, was focused more on getting away than anything else.

Pulling over and just calling in "Hey there's a guy in a white Dodge Ram with mismatched rims running red lights driving like an aggressive drunk" would have been worth doing

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

And you didn't call the cops why?

They don't care. I had some drunks spin out in a turn and miss me at 50mph by 2 feet. i called the cops, gave plate, followed them from a distance for 15 minutes before I gave up.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I agree with the "call the police" sentiment. Then I remember that cops are loving USELESS SHITHEADS and then I'm like "meh as long as you're not involved gently caress it"

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Unless you're near a university. Someone once drove by and threw a beer at a girl, so I called the university cops. Red Jetta with the right tail light out. They pulled him over and DUI'd.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Whenever I call someone in the provincial cops swoop down upon them in like 5 minutes. Then again its Canada so they're probably bored and my call about grandma doing 50km/h on the 401 means ITS GO TIME CALLING ALL CARS.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've had cops show up in less than a couple of minutes for similar things. And once went through 4 cities (getting transferred to each new city's dispatch center) trying to call in someone driving with no lights that was basically ping ponging off of everything they saw before anyone showed up. Finally showed up at the far north edge of the city (started talking to them 10 minutes earlier just before entering the city).

Just depends where you are. And even moreso if you're on the outskirts of a sprawling metro area, where you can pass through cities in less than 5 minutes.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Anyone have issues getting the G1W to work in mass storage mode when connected to a PC? I don't seem to get an option, I caught some fuckwad running a red (he stopped, sat at the line, then decided his people needed him and blew through) yesterday and all my card readers are too ancient to recognise the 32GB card.

Also, moral question of whether to forward that poo poo to the police, and whether they would even give a gently caress.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

8ender posted:

Whenever I call someone in the provincial cops swoop down upon them in like 5 minutes. Then again its Canada so they're probably bored and my call about grandma doing 50km/h on the 401 means ITS GO TIME CALLING ALL CARS.

What kind of road is the 401 that it has a 30 mph speed limit?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Coredump posted:

What kind of road is the 401 that it has a 30 mph speed limit?

It's a highway, and the slowest you can go is 60 kph. If you're doing 50, you can technically get a ticket for going too slow. The speed limit is 100 kph, but most do 110-120.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

a primate posted:

It's a highway, and the slowest you can go is 60 kph. If you're doing 50, you can technically get a ticket for going too slow. The speed limit is 100 kph, but most do 110-120.

Oh thank god. Okay I understand now.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Bought the highest rated model for a reasonable price at the local Amazon. Wow, how can people put up with poo poo like this.
Who wants to kickstart a non terrible dashcam ?
Speaking of which, why can't I use the 360° parking cameras of my car as dashcams ? Would be a killer option.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I've just bought an fitted a better 12V-usb adaptor for my G1W and it STILL causes radio interference.

Slightly less than the built in one in that instead of no signal at all ever I now have an occasional low signal.

Is there anything I can do? Its looking like i can have radio or the G1W at the moment.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Spatule posted:

Bought the highest rated model for a reasonable price at the local Amazon. Wow, how can people put up with poo poo like this.
Who wants to kickstart a non terrible dashcam ?
Speaking of which, why can't I use the 360° parking cameras of my car as dashcams ? Would be a killer option.

What do you consider a reasonable price?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The biggest problem with both dashcams I have had (some weird one and a mini 0803) is the loving software. its poo poo, cant be updated and the broken english just loving sucks to deal with.

a distant second is that even the lowest sensitivity G sensor still writes a bunch of locked files thanks to my fairly stiff (but not bone rattling) suspension.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

The one day I don't have my dashcam with me and some guy in an old Mercedes cuts across three lanes of traffic and gravel to make an exit.

Semi-related, but don't buy the B40/A118 until the capacitor models are out. It's a nice camera, with a great form factor and high viewing angle, but good lord the battery version is terrible. The battery can't stand the heat inside the case, which causes it to completely lose charge and not only reset the internal clock, but also improperly shut down when it loses external power, which means the last video file becomes corrupt. I'm gonna have to drill holes in the side of mine for ventilation, something that they've already started to do to revisions:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tomarse posted:

I've just bought an fitted a better 12V-usb adaptor for my G1W and it STILL causes radio interference.

Slightly less than the built in one in that instead of no signal at all ever I now have an occasional low signal.

Is there anything I can do? Its looking like i can have radio or the G1W at the moment.

Probably not better enough. If push comes to shove, build a little adapter with a 7805 linear regulator and some caps? Won't have the switching noise that cut-rate switchers do.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tomarse posted:

Get a line-noise filter for the power lead of the radio. This used to be a problem that had to be solved all the time with the early 70's cars with early high energy discharge coils.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

CharlesM posted:

What do you consider a reasonable price?

100$ or so, same as a basic P&S camera that offers so much more for the price.
Like the guy above said, it's the software that sucks. At least the included adapter does not gently caress with the radio. or anything like that.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Got a 0803 dashcam. I ordered the wrong version so don't have the hardwire till later. The stock firmware didn't work, after upgrade works pretty good. I need to clean my windshield but worked ok at night for now. My state is really bad about giving anyone who hits someone from behind a $200ish ticket and put you at blame. Drivers are really bad about pulling out in front of you on the highway or driving golf carts in the dark with no lights on roads. I think if it avoids one ticket or deductible it will be worth it. So probably going to get one for my gf's car too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0VH_I7Qn30

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I come across oblivious pedestrians all the time, but this one was special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4L2zbcjfvA

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Haha I thought it was the girl at first.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That was quite a reaction.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

NOTinuyasha posted:

I come across oblivious pedestrians all the time, but this one was special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4L2zbcjfvA

God drat dude, I would have crept through that intersection with so many people walking around and such poo poo visibility to the side.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Just like my grand theft auto!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Someone shat their pants.