Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mentos Dan posted:

Hey dorks, your poo poo's on sale on Steam right now:

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/tw_weekend_2014

What should a beginner buy?

Shogun 2 is really good, and Rome 1 is still really cool and fun despite its age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Do I want all the DLC for an extra :fivebux:?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mentos Dan posted:

Do I want all the DLC for an extra :fivebux:?

Yeah, fall of the samurai is a neat expansion because it basically completely changes the game. I'd play through the vanilla campaign, then fall after you beat it.

[edit]Wow they don't include Fall in the $12.50 package. Don't get that one, get Shogun 2 and then get the $7.50 "Fall of the Samurai" expansion for guns and bombardment.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Great, thanks.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Does that pack have FotS? I don't see it. It's still worth it though, yeah.

And I wouldn't recommend Rome 1 at this point unless you want something to play on a really old computer; it's super dated now.

edit: wait they still sell Kingdoms? I thought it was integrated into Med2 but I still see it on the list.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 26, 2014

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Koramei posted:

Does that pack have FotS? I don't see it. It's still worth it though, yeah.

Nah, that's a separate $7.50 download.

It's $7.50 for Shogun 2, $12.50 for the version with DLc including "rise of the Samurai campaign".

poo poo's worse than Civ 5.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
At least the combat isnt poo poo like Civ 5

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ugh, Rome 2 isn't even for sale.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Mentos Dan posted:

It's $7.50 for Shogun 2, $12.50 for the version with DLc including "rise of the Samurai campaign".

All three campaigns are excellent and varied though so it really is getting your money's worth. Start with basic Shogun 2, it's probably easiest to learn.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

fall of the samurai is probably my favourite total war. I actually bothered to win a campaign.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fall of the Samurai makes me wish for some sort of all-comers version of Empire that lets you also field units from Medieval 2, with the Shogun 2 UI.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Caved in and got Empire. What are the mods I should consider for a first playthrough?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well, DarthMod I guess is okay these days for it. Outside mini mods, the only other one I can think of is Imperial Splendour as an alternative?

The rest of the stuff is no longer supported because TWC.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, DarthMod I guess is okay these days for it. Outside mini mods, the only other one I can think of is Imperial Splendour as an alternative?

Thanks, that's a start. What would be the main difference between Darthmod and Imperial Splendour? Or are they both generally tweak mods and it goes to taste?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DarthMod is pretty much in general of mostly visual or gameplay improvements that make things mostly pretty neat.

Imperial Splendour is a bit more focused and more or less does it's own thing.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Mentos Dan posted:

Yeah, they used to have a Total War : Shogun 2 Gold pack that had everything in it, but I can't find it now. Odd.

Regardless, it's worth grabbing the $12.50 Shogun 2 pack with all the DLC and then $7.50 for Fall of the Samurai. It's a ludicrous amount of content for :20bux:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I see Rome II has a free weekend. Did they ever fix the terrible overworld economy problems where upgrading cities was self-defeating and expanding your empire was ruinous?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

I see Rome II has a free weekend. Did they ever fix the terrible overworld economy problems where upgrading cities was self-defeating and expanding your empire was ruinous?

It's entirely possible to manage an empire in Rome 2, however I'm like you and I just want to upgrade poo poo to the max and conquer the world. Go to the Steam Workshop and download these mods:

Iverbeth's Further Reduced Food Mod
Iverbeth's Further Reduced Squalor Mod

Both are updated for the latest version. This makes it way easier to balance food, squalor and public order so you can make lots of tiny army men with spears and shields and kill the gently caress out of your enemies. The mod is pretty pro and changes nothing else.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Meh, it's fine. They redid the building chains so you eat food starting at tier 2 (-1) and you only lose like 2 or 3 food for each tier 3 building, so you don't have this weird situation where everything is practically free for a level 2 building and then if you upgrade a single building from 2-3 you plunge your empire into crippling starvation. You really don't need reduced food/squalor mods anymore IMO.

Obviously the same with squalour penalties, they start low and don't immediately ramp up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

John Charity Spring posted:

All three campaigns are excellent and varied though so it really is getting your money's worth. Start with basic Shogun 2, it's probably easiest to learn.

Start with Shogun 2, then move on to Fall of the Samurai, then go back to Shogun 2 as the Otomo and conquer the world with Tercos and gunpowder :getin:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gently caress yeah stand alone Barbarian Invasion II :getin:

If they really make this live up to being the Empire->Napoleon transition like they are evoking, it's gonna rule.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 27, 2014

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Koramei posted:

And I wouldn't recommend Rome 1 at this point unless you want something to play on a really old computer; it's super dated now.

I'd say give it a whirl. Rome has a number of features that have been dropped from the more recent games. Spreading fires across buildings in Total War: Attila? Rome 1 did that. It also has a really awesome thing going where troops fighting on top of a wall can actually fall off or get kicked off by the push and pull of fighting. Barbarian Invasion had swimming units that made bridge battles way more dynamic. And it had sappers. I loving love sappers.

While it is definitely dated, and Medieval 2 + Kingdoms is incredible compared to it, Rome 1 is still a hell of a lot of fun and has some seriously impressive mods.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I mean I guess you can't go wrong for $2.50 and it is still good. I'd just not recommend it over any of the others.

And even building damage in sieges being persistent into the campaign was present too, wasn't it? At least all the stuff you build in a settlement would show up in it. I was blown away by being able to look around those cities back when it first came out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, that was in Medieval as well. If you didn't repair your castles or cities after a particularly brutal siege, they'd still show all the scars from the last fight, or in Rome's case, entire city blocks that were leveled by out of control fires.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The most important feature that never came back was just looking at your towns in the battle map, during peacetime.

Little civilians running all around and you can even see every building that you ordered built.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Medieval 2 is pretty cool and I'm having fun face stomping rebels/some dude right next to me who declared war on me. I'm guessing that crossbows arn't great in the early game when no one has armor right? And I should just stick to bows for the most part?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Roobanguy posted:

Medieval 2 is pretty cool and I'm having fun face stomping rebels/some dude right next to me who declared war on me. I'm guessing that crossbows arn't great in the early game when no one has armor right? And I should just stick to bows for the most part?

Crossbows are effective at all points of the campaign. Its all about target prioritization. Aim them at the heaviest armored troops you can spot. They'll still do great against lightly armored troops, but you're kinda wasting their potential chipping away at peasants.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Does Shogun 2/FotS have any must have mods or are they fine for a vanilla playthrough?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Get the artillery mod for FotS (although it isn't awful without it), otherwise no.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Deakul posted:

Does Shogun 2/FotS have any must have mods or are they fine for a vanilla playthrough?

They both play great without mods.

e: fb

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Vanilla is perfectly fine for a playthrough. There aren't really any big gamechangers other than maybe the typical Radious/Darthmod overhauls that exist, but I feel like vanilla was perfectly serviceable. Maybe a mod that adds more turns to your campaigns, but honestly you should be moving at a brisk pace anyway. In my S2 campaign I think I hit Realm Divide in under 80 turns. I think you have like 200 turns anyway to rap it all up?

I have no good ninjas and everyone else has 4+ star ninjas send help pls

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What are the odds of getting another set of games in the muskets and tall ships era? In my opinion that naval play in Shogun and Rome 2 has really suffered from a lack of tactical depth, which is something tall ships with their wind-dependent maneuvering and weak sterns provide in spades.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 27, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Did a mod ever come out that fixed the broken pike/musket behaviour in Medieval 2? I just want to play in a medieval setting again. :(

I've been replaying Rome 2 and I got to admit it's a good game right now - stopped playing like a month after the first time it went on sale, Beta 8? Or something like that. So yeah. The only thing I find unbearable are loading times for battles.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Arglebargle III posted:

What are the odds of getting another set of games in the muskets and tall ships era? In my opinion that naval play in Shogun and Rome 2 has really suffered from a lack of tactical depth, which is something tall ships with their wind-dependent maneuvering and weak sterns provide in spades.

Well it's very likely eventually. If they are making a Warhammer TW game several of the races use tallships or better technology so it might feature there. However, Tech varies wildly in Warhammer so it would be hell to balance and I could see then omitting it completely. Otherwise they'll probably return to the early modern period at some point.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I am going to say what I said before, there will not be a Warhammer TW, because CA is not cool enough to do something that fun, and I already used up my last genie wish getting an xcom remake.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I am going to say what I said before, there will not be a Warhammer TW, because CA is not cool enough to do something that fun, and I already used up my last genie wish getting an xcom remake.

Perhaps they'll use the Aliens: Isolation engine to make a third Space Hulk game variant?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Thanks, that's a start. What would be the main difference between Darthmod and Imperial Splendour? Or are they both generally tweak mods and it goes to taste?

I'd recommend Imperial Splendour over DarthMod any day. IS is an actual polished and focused mod while DarthMod is a mash up of some poorly implemented ideas and units. If you go for IS, pick up a few submods such as the battle AI one.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Can someone recommend me a game from the series? I haven't played any of them, but I recently listened to a history audiobook and thought I might like to try a history videogame. The thing is, the book made me especially fascinated with Rome, but then I looked, and Rome: Total War is pretty old, and there are prettier games. At the same time, I feel less enthusistic about Empire's historical period, for example. I have also looked at Medieval 2, and that one seems to strike a good balance, between graphics and my interests... Eh, they are on a Steam sale right now, and you can probably get the whole series for the price of a single new release, but I'm not even sure that's a type of game for me (as time goes by, I play less and less, and I think I'm turning into a dirty casual). Anyway, help?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

They goddamn better in the next decade at least. I really loved Napoleon and FOTS and some elements of Empire, hopefully we'll see something like that after they give us another Medieval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Rabhadh posted:

I'd recommend Imperial Splendour over DarthMod any day. IS is an actual polished and focused mod while DarthMod is a mash up of some poorly implemented ideas and units. If you go for IS, pick up a few submods such as the battle AI one.

One of the things that really bothers me in IS is that none of the technology unlocks have descriptions. At least in my current campaign as France.