Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wittgen posted:

Appreciate how far you've come.

She did.

It's amazing how Chiyo's voice actor make all the difference. Reading some bits of the manga series she just feels like an one-note character that nobody would really care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Saoshyant posted:

It's amazing how Chiyo's voice actor make all the difference. Reading some bits of the manga series she just feels like an one-note character that nobody would really care about.

Yeah, she's been fantastic. Mindboggling how her other roles this year have been the likes of "Little girl A" in M3, "School girl A" in GochiUsa and "School girl" in Rokujouma. Hopefully she'll blow up and we'll see her in other prominent roles soon.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Wittgen posted:

Poor Chiyo-chan. I was really rooting for her at the end.

I was kind of dumbfounded when she said their relationship hasn't progressed at all, though. At the start of the series, she was just this borderline stalker person he didn't know existed. Now they're quite close friends. He's willing to eat off the floor for you Chiyo! Appreciate how far you've come.

Chiyo's quite the little devil.

Agreed what everyone said about the VA giving life to Chiyo. Let's hope she climbs up with more roles from here!

I think what makes Chiyo's crush on Nozaki more sweet is the fact that she's willing to stick with him and help him out with his manga even though he's so stupidly engrossed with it. To her, it's another cool quality even if he's a big dork.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

what was up with kashima's voice in the last episode? was that a different voice actress or something?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Even when she was three, Seo was still the best.

I'm gonna miss this show so much. :smith: There were so many more scenes I would have loved to see adapted: the otome game, the parts that Squidster mentioned, and I guess literally everything. I'll be joining the other people in the corner praying for Nozaki s2 and Chihayafuru s3.

The wait for the manga would be so much better if it wasn't monthly, but alas.

e: actually I'd really like to see the train chapter animated.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 23, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
The mangaka tweeted an extra illustration for Ken-san's birthday yesterday. Poor Ken-san.

https://twitter.com/tubakiidumi/status/513820545243025408/photo/1

From right to left:
Nozaki: "Ken-san, look this way!"
Nozaki: "Smile!"
Maeno: "Miyamae-kun, show us the tanuki!"
Nozaki: "Ken-san, your pose needs to express the maturity of adulthood..."
Nozaki: "That tanuki's in the drat way!"
Maeno: "Yumeno-sensei, wouldn't it be better for me to pose for this picture instead?"
Nozaki: "What good would that do?!"

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 23, 2014

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
A Nozaki kun counter amount that chiyo's says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqphuw4XwXc

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
she really does have such an adorable voice.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm surprised it showed the flashback but didn't show Chiyo wearing only one ribbon being the inspiration for Mamiko's design.

I have no idea how likely a second season is, but I'm pretty glad we at least got this much!

I kind of liked the way it left it unspoken, but easy to pick up on if you're attentive. They did take some serious liberties this episode, though.

Would love to see a second season of this, and from what I'm hearing the sales have been pretty darn good. Unfortunately I don't think there's enough stock of the manga for another full cour without stretching it out a fair amount. Maybe an OVA or something though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's easily enough manga for a second series the same length as this, up to chapter 54 is translated and I don't think the anime used up even half of that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

There's easily enough manga for a second series the same length as this, up to chapter 54 is translated and I don't think the anime used up even half of that.

Wouldn't be too sure. The anime goes through at least 2 chapters an episode, and sometimes 3 (by compressing a chapter or mixing 2 together). Some chapters (Otomoe game) have also been skipped (though I suppose they could be adapted in later seasons). We've probably gone through 30+ chapters, so we'd probably need to wait a bit to have enough chapters.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Question for manga readers, does the anime follow the manga well enough that I could pick it up at the chapter where the anime ended or would it be better to read from the beginning?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Better to read from the beginning. The anime skipped or tweaked a lot of the jokes, and re-arranged the order of events.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

serebralassazin posted:

Question for manga readers, does the anime follow the manga well enough that I could pick it up at the chapter where the anime ended or would it be better to read from the beginning?

Some of the jokes work way better in the 4-koma format than animated as well. Also, it's a funny enough series that you should reread it anyway.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Thank you, will begin the manga sometime this week.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

how were the TV ratings for the show anyway? is it selling well?

that's really going to be the deciding factor behind a second season hitting.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It's actually the best selling show this season.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tamba posted:

It's actually the best selling show this season.

Maybe we should wait for actual numbers before making these bold statements. Or at least provide sources.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

darkgray posted:

Maybe we should wait for actual numbers before making these bold statements. Or at least provide sources.

Amazon blu-ray rankings

Animate sold out on the first day:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

vibratingsheep posted:

Amazon blu-ray rankings

Animate sold out on the first day:

Yeah, but Hanamonogatari has already been pre-ordered for a month, and Animate just sucks at stocking. There's next to no chance whatsoever that Nozaki will beat out Hanamonogatari in Oricon's compiled numbers when they pop up on Tuesday next week, and it seems very doubtful it'll surpass Free s2's 18k either. Would be nice, though.

(Of course it can be argued that Oricon misses sales, etc, but it seems to be the standard these days.)

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

darkgray posted:

Yeah, but Hanamonogatari has already been pre-ordered for a month, and Animate just sucks at stocking. There's next to no chance whatsoever that Nozaki will beat out Hanamonogatari in Oricon's compiled numbers when they pop up on Tuesday next week, and it seems very doubtful it'll surpass Free s2's 18k either. Would be nice, though.

(Of course it can be argued that Oricon misses sales, etc, but it seems to be the standard these days.)

It's probably true, I think that in the actual Animate rankings Nozaki is like 5th. I just wanted to show some evidence that it's selling really well, I have no interest in calling it #1 :)

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

darkgray posted:

I think the very fact that it's being compared to Hanamonogatari, which is already part of a popular established series, and Free S2, which has the weight of KyoAni behind it, shows how successful this was.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Captain McStabbin posted:

I think the very fact that it's being compared to Hanamonogatari, which is already part of a popular established series, and Free S2, which has the weight of fujoshi orgasms behind it, shows how successful this was.
ftfy

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

nehezir posted:

how were the TV ratings for the show anyway? is it selling well?

that's really going to be the deciding factor behind a second season hitting.

There's going to be a second season. I mean, really, it sells well and has lots of material to adapt.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, I imagine a second season will come out at some point. I'm coming across tons of fan art and I'd say that doesn't happen with some random anime.

And speaking of which, I love this piece with the characters going out on a Halloween night:

There's also a lot of Paras/Chiyo jokes getting around -- hope that doesn't become a meme.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, I imagine a second season will come out at some point. I'm coming across tons of fan art and I'd say that doesn't happen with some random anime.

And speaking of which, I love this piece with the characters going out on a Halloween night:

There's also a lot of Paras/Chiyo jokes getting around -- hope that doesn't become a meme.

I'm just glad to know that Mikorin's still the best heroine. :kimchi:

Also, we need a second season. I don't think I can separate the characters from their VA's anymore. Chiyo was especially good.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

That's what a meme is.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

You're about 2 months late on that one. This is a GIS for "Paras" in Japanese:

Also, before ep 12, Osawa Ari was recorded saying "I'm not Paras, dammit".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Bloody hell, I didn't think it was that bad.

vibratingsheep posted:

Also, before ep 12, Osawa Ari was recorded saying "I'm not Paras, dammit".

At least this part is funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bloody hell? It's kind of a lame joke but it's funny the first couple of times you see it, and it's not like it's built around some sort of offensive concept.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Emmy Cicerega posted some fan art.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Umm... It doesn't seem very good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CrazySalamander posted:

Umm... It doesn't seem very good.

The wrongest post.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't know what you're talking about, that's about the most accurate depiction of Nozaki I've ever seen.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Compendium posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, that's about the most accurate depiction of Nozaki I've ever seen.

... But Sakura just isn't recognizable w/o the ribbon pattern.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I always love chiyo's reaction face.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

nehezir posted:

I always love chiyo's reaction face.

I just noticed the third ribbon on the front of Chiyo's uniform and had to go back to screencaps from earlier in the thread to confirm that it was a thing that she actually wore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally caught up with the last episode...

Poor Ken-san: You suffer for our amusement. Also: God. DAMMIT NOZAKI! :argh: I know it's a parody of shoujo manga and that one of the people involved in that moment is sort of okay with the current arrangement but that felt like an emotional punch in the testicles. :arghfist::saddowns:

I really really enjoyed this show. I'm unsure whether this, Barakamon or Sabagebu! is my favorite comedy show this year.

Lay it on me, wiser goons: Did you managed to enjoy the anime just the same even after experiencing the manga? Should I venture into enjoying this sweet piece of comedy in black and white 4-koma?