Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh, it looks like the show's on late tonight (20:30). And Peter Capaldi was on the Graham Norton Show last night, apparently.

Yep, and it turns out the Producers of the original series hated him for writing in all the time and being a massive loving nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PoshAlligator posted:

I can't wait until there are five threads.

No! Not the spoiler thread.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well it'd really be three threads, three posts from a thread that was never made, and a Sliders thread in a wig.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeams of...POOOOOOOSTING!

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

So I finally got around to listening to The Light at the End. A decent story, not as good as the actual 50th anniversary special on the show. The first part was a little bit of a confusing clusterfuck but by the end everything was running on all cylinders. Colin Baker managed to steal the show while nobody was looking, I think. The scene where he's yelling at the Time Lords was the best one. Although Tom Baker and Paul McGann tricking the Master was pretty good too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I actually think it was way better than the one on TV.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

"It reads mind waves, going through your neurons, searching for a very particular type of sensory input that comes from the skin. It's hungry. Whatever you do: Ignore.That. Itch!"
"The corner of your buttcheek..."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pizdec posted:

"The corner of your buttcheek..."

You missed the obvious one.

"There's something on your back..."

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

I feel like it reflects the Cold War mentality of the time, or - since the Daleks are basically Space Nazis - is even a dig at the likes of Chamberlain for seeking appeasement. Of course this is television so yes the Daleks really are "pure" evil, but this is also their first appearance and Ian's criticism of the Daleks for "disliking the unlike" almost immediately after saying they have to be fought because they're "not human" is pretty hypocritical.

You forget, Daleks only became space Nazis constantly going on about exterminating (and, indeed, wanting to exterminate everything that wasn't another Dalek) with Dalek Invasion of Earth. In the Daleks they wanted to conquer the planet they lived on and that was about it.

Incidentally while I love The Daleks I hate most of the Dalek serials that followed it-at least for the first three doctors. They aren't particularly good or, in my opinion, even relevant as villains in modern era Dr. Who. I wish they'd re-emphasize some of the weirder aspects of early Daleks- their reliance on static electricity for power, the fact that they're so irradiated that they're ships are like little mobile Chernobyls, that they are so blase about killing (which was what made it scary, not that they liked killing everything but that they just didn't care if other beings died.) To be quite frank I think dealing with the aftermath of a Dalek invasion would be a far more interesting story than the actual Dalek invasions we've gotten in recent years.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Well it'd really be three threads, three posts from a thread that was never made, and a Sliders thread in a wig.

And a Doctor Who thread from 4chan would be brought in to rescue them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Incidentally while I love The Daleks I hate most of the Dalek serials that followed it-at least for the first three doctors.

You hate Power and Evil? Interesting

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Day of the Daleks is really good too, though admittedly the Daleks are the worst thing about it by far. It would probably be even better if they weren't in it at all, or maybe if they were entirely absent until the second episode cliffhanger.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You hate Power and Evil? Interesting

Well lets see what we have:

The Daleks: Very good, Daleks are stars of the show but even without them there is a ton to like in the serial.
The Dalek Invasion of Earth: Daleks are thoroughly Flanderized by now despite this being only their second appearance. They randomly shout about exterminating like mindless idiots and have a hilariously stupid looking pet monster that we are supposed to be scared of. There is some stuff to like about the serial but I feel that it went on a bit too long. Its been months since I watched it but I remember being quite disappointed in it.
The Chase: Awful, utter drek. In addition to being poorly done on its own it also introduces the concept of Dalek timetravel which I'm sure made things a lot easier for the show's writers but left me thoroughly disappointed. I think this might have been when the Daleks stopped needing radiation and static electricity too.
The Daleks' Master Plan (and MttU): Really bad in the parts which were similar to The Chase, that is to say about four episodes worth of it. Mavic Chen was a much more interesting villain than the sentient trash cans. If it wasn't for him and the other humans I'd say that this was almost unwatchable.
Power of the Daleks: I actually did like this one quite a bit. It suffered from having one of those 2nd/3rd Doctor stock characters who just MUST see their plan through despite the Doctor saying it was a bad idea. Perhaps the best thing about this one is that the Daleks spent most of it not acting like "typical" Daleks.
Evil of the Daleks: A serial which started weak but had a strong ending. Parts of this one were quite physical if I remember correctly so the audio over still images format I watched it in probably did it a disservice, a shame really.
Day of the Daleks: Watched this one a few weeks ago and wasn't thrilled by it. It had interesting ideas, the time loop, multiple groups traveling back and forth, the feeling that Jo was in real danger, but ultimately I just wasn't all that fond of it.
Planet of the Daleks: Sort of a retelling of The Daleks and pretty enjoyable for it.

So I liked approximately 3 of the 8 Dalek serials witha further two being mixed bags (with the Daleks themselves often being the worst part of them.) Maybe par for the course but I feel that the episodes largely fell below the quality standards set by episodes surrounding them. Especially in seasons 1-5.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The first episode of The Dalek Invasion of Earth ("World's End") is one of the best individual episodes of the original run.

The Chase is really really bad, certainly.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The first episode of The Dalek Invasion of Earth ("World's End") is one of the best individual episodes of the original run.

Thats true, but the episode's lone Dalek doesn't show up, if I remember correctly, until the cliff hanger ending (with a great scene of it emerging out of the Thames.) It could have been any sort of monster or even just plain old evil humans controlling London up until that point.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Also I just watched The Green Death today and I have to say, everyone bar the military figures and the hippies come off as a child in it. The Doctor, BOSS and especially Jo. It really left a sour taste in my mouth with Jo as she goes around repeatedly disobeying directions to stay put and stop loving things up only to wander off again and screw even more stuff up. And this is her big send off too, what a poor way to say goodbye to a character I quite liked. Oh well, onto Season 11 and what looks to be a pretty important serial to boot. Sontarans (and Sarah Jane) ho!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Been catching up since I have neglected to watch the past couple of years of Who.

I really liked the redesign of the Cybermen in Nightmare in Silver. Much more agile-looking. Warwick Davis was great, they need to hire him again somehow. The Cybermen also became a much more credible threat, with the Cyberiad and the fact that humanity in the far future can't use half-measures anymore and just straight-up detonate whole solar systems if that's what it takes to deny Cybermen victory.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cliff Racer posted:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth: Daleks are thoroughly Flanderized by now despite this being only their second appearance. They randomly shout about exterminating like mindless idiots and have a hilariously stupid looking pet monster that we are supposed to be scared of. There is some stuff to like about the serial but I feel that it went on a bit too long. Its been months since I watched it but I remember being quite disappointed in it.

Counterpoint:

Actual Content Edit - Despite the great silly scenes like the one above and the actual defeat involving breaking into Dalek Headquarters and telling the Robomen to revolt in Dalek voices :3, the atmosphere and characterization of the surviving humans is excellent. The part with the women in the shack always sticks with me. They sell out Our Heroes not out of malicious intent, but because this is the only way they know to survive, and are visibly affected by the horror of their choice.

And as JaKiri said, the first episode is easily the most nightmarishly real of early Who.

After The War fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 27, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PriorMarcus posted:

Yep, and it turns out the Producers of the original series hated him for writing in all the time and being a massive loving nerd.

So what you're saying is that the 27th Doctor is on track to be Doctor What.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Jsor posted:

So what you're saying is that the 27th Doctor is on track to be Doctor What.

All of his episodes are remakes of Six episodes with better special effects and props.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Same coat though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The 28th Doctor will be Irish Joe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Also I just watched The Green Death today and I have to say, everyone bar the military figures and the hippies come off as a child in it. The Doctor, BOSS and especially Jo. It really left a sour taste in my mouth with Jo as she goes around repeatedly disobeying directions to stay put and stop loving things up only to wander off again and screw even more stuff up. And this is her big send off too, what a poor way to say goodbye to a character I quite liked. Oh well, onto Season 11 and what looks to be a pretty important serial to boot. Sontarans (and Sarah Jane) ho!

I remember being rather saddened when Jo left the first time I saw it. I mean, how could they follow her up as a companion?

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Did someone say Jo Grant?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Muppetjedi posted:

Did someone say Jo Grant?

The Pertwee cosplay continues!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Every time I see a photograph of her I think "Oh, they're doing a Cassandra origin story"

Also, I just want to say how impressed with the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) I am. Up late tonight, I decided to see when the new episode becomes available on iview (our version of iplayer), and it's the exact moment it starts broadcasting on the BBC in Britain. Not only that, but the ABC shows new episodes at the exact same time, even compensating for time zones. Good work government broadcasting service, good work.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Also 2, was rewatching series 3 thanks to the Toxx thread, and was amused to see The Master (in his Mister Saxon persona) walking around wearing coat with a red inner lining..

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, why WOULD anyone have TWO jackets? :mad:

Edit: Oh my God he's so bad at being undercover :xd:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 27, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

"It's assembly! Go worship something."

That shouldn't have made me laugh nearly as much as it did.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

"Deep cover, deep cover!"

God drat it, Capaldi's Doctor is so good.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Do police actually give a gently caress about kids being out of school south of the border?

e: :stare: That's a bit gory

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Garrus noooooooo

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Well that was gory.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahahaha, he thinks she's in love with a Matt Smith cosplayer.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Capaldi is the gift that just keeps giving.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

One watch to rule them all...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

It's all gone a bit James Bond.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Haha, well this is awkward doctor...

Nice bow tie!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

NOT ALL ROBOTS NEED TO SPEAK LIKE DALEKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012