Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It works fine with a controller, and most games that support both can properly be played with either. Witcher 2 is not a "headshot" game, fine precision isn't actually important at all.

(W2's controls are pretty much equally bad for KB+M and controller.)

I played the game on the Xbox 360, and while the controller was fine for the most part, I tried throwing a knife once during the tutorial and then never touched them again. Bombs were fine because you don't have to score a direct hit, but the knife was a frustrating exercise in swinging back and forth between the space over my enemy's left shoulder and the space over his right while he ran at me in slow motion.

It is entirely possible that I could have improved if I had taken the time to practice, but I did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Well, okay:

a) Geralt's got a fairly large amount of momentum, especially when pivoting.
b) Attack animations are long. Very long, and there's no way to cancel out of them.
c) The dodge is slow and awkward. Generally I find it too long for a quick duck out of the way and too short for disengaging.
d) The targeting system is... well. I'm not sure I want to go as far as to say that it violates the principle of least astonishment, but it takes a hell of a lot of getting used to. As a rule, if I'm attacking and I'm not locked on to something, what I want to do to is attack in a direction, either the one I'm facing or the one I'm pushing into, not a specific person.
e) What lunatic decided to fold the lunge into the basic attack command? If I want to lunge I will tell you explicitly, game. :psyduck:

(Talking only about 2, here, and I can't remember which, if any, of these issues were fixed after release :v:. Last time I replayed it I did think it had gotten a little better, but not by a lot.)

All of which combines to make Geralt one of the stickiest and least responsive fightmans I have fightmanned with. To be fair, the Witcher isn't quite the same sort of beast as the games I'm comparing it to. It invokes a sort of... I'm going to say grittiness, for lack of a better word, that means that it just can't afford to let its characters get away with some of the poo poo that other, pulpier games do. If Geralt started backflipping twice his height or gained invincibility frames in his dodge then eyebrows would be raised.

There really is no excuse for the lunge thing though. :psyduck:

Yeah the lunge is the annoying thing I meant. Targetting a dude who I didn't want to aim at literally never happens for me, which is exactly what I meant by being able to aim precisely at dudes with the mouse (I guess not being able to attack in a direction can get kinda irritating if you're not used to it). I'm fine with the dodge because, as you said, it wouldn't make sense for him to just roll a kilometer out of the way of any enemy. I'm glad that they made it a pirouette in W3 as well, poo poo's just silly.

quote:

Never played any of the AssCreed games, so I can't speak to your specific example, but it's not something I find being a problem very frequently. Actually, I'm not sure how often I see games asking for that level of control over movement these days. I remember this one specific jump in MGR that always trips me up if I don't slow down and take it carefully, but apart from that...
Heh, MGR camera controls.

quote:

If you're playing a game where enemies will attack you from off-camera, you really shouldn't be letting them get behind you to begin with.

That's some bullshit, especially since you mentioned MGR. I'm too busy parrying the 50 attacks they throw at me, I can't possibly maneuver myself against a wall so no one is in my back as well.

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I played the game on the Xbox 360, and while the controller was fine for the most part, I tried throwing a knife once during the tutorial and then never touched them again. Bombs were fine because you don't have to score a direct hit, but the knife was a frustrating exercise in swinging back and forth between the space over my enemy's left shoulder and the space over his right while he ran at me in slow motion.

It is entirely possible that I could have improved if I had taken the time to practice, but I did not.

Does the XBox version not have knife quickthrow?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, knives should be auto-targeted when you tap the button. You only have to aim if you hold it down.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Lycus posted:

Yeah, knives should be auto-targeted when you tap the button. You only have to aim if you hold it down.

...well poo poo. Now I just feel like an idiot.

I have since sold my 360 so I could buy something that could run the next game, so it's no longer a concern, but I'll keep that in mind.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Why would you do this?
Sorry, but I can't help imagining people who prefer controller over KB+M to be like DSP who just loving sucks at aiming and then complains that the game doesn't attack the dude he wants to attack. :negative:
I just think it's so much more precise to be able to control the camera with a mouse and only having 8 directions of movement than having 360 degrees of movement but terrible camera controls IMO.

E:
Video for reference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCjzA-C647o

That guy is shockingly amateurish and ineloquent even for an LPer.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I have a friend who only recently built a gaming computer after only owning consoles his whole life. He tried out K+M for a little while, but now exclusively plays PC games with a controller, because he feels he's better at the games with it. Some people are just used to a controller and are more comfortable with it. I'm a K+M guy, but I fully understand when other people aren't.

But that guy in that old YouTube video was just the poster child for why adding a tutorial was a good idea.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

I have a friend who only recently built a gaming computer after only owning consoles his whole life. He tried out K+M for a little while, but now exclusively plays PC games with a controller, because he feels he's better at the games with it. Some people are just used to a controller and are more comfortable with it. I'm a K+M guy, but I fully understand when other people aren't.

But that guy in that old YouTube video was just the poster child for why adding a tutorial was a good idea.

The tutorial wouldn't even be necessary if people would just read the loving popup hints which basically convey the exact same things.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Going from playing Dark Souls 2 to Witcher 2 with a controller is frustrating as gently caress. Everything seems to have a bit of delay before I'm allowed to do it, and really, when you lock on they should just lift that entire concept from Dark Souls (or Zelda, I should say) of being able to circle around an enemy wholesale.

I'm not playing this game for the mashy, repetitive combat. It's just aggravating.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Firstborn posted:

Going from playing Dark Souls 2 to Witcher 2 with a controller is frustrating as gently caress. Everything seems to have a bit of delay before I'm allowed to do it, and really, when you lock on they should just lift that entire concept from Dark Souls (or Zelda, I should say) of being able to circle around an enemy wholesale.

I'm not playing this game for the mashy, repetitive combat. It's just aggravating.

Are you playing on PC or 360?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

For those wanting more responsive combat, I know it's hugely unpopular around here, but the Full Combat Rebalance mod makes things MUCH easier to handle, with you able to cancel out of a lot more animations, and use the Walk button to auto-face your locked target for maximum defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeGeF5eqhXc

It's developed by the lead combat designer at CD Projekt. The guy who made the combat engine in the first place.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Dominic White posted:

It's developed by the lead combat designer at CD Projekt. The guy who made the combat engine in the first place.

Every time this gets brought up this guy gets a promotion, it's amazing. Next he's going to be CEO.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The base of the mod is solid stuff but the extent to which it screws with quest rewards and items (like Harpy feathers, the disappearance of which makes completing a few quests impossible) made me uninstall it and restart.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Cross-Section posted:

The base of the mod is solid stuff but the extent to which it screws with quest rewards and items (like Harpy feathers, the disappearance of which makes completing a few quests impossible) made me uninstall it and restart.

Strange, since I'm using it on my Dark mode run and I have a shitload of them from grinding near that cottage.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh dumb me, I misremembered; I was able to obtain the feathers just fine, but was somehow unable to craft Harpy traps to complete the Harpy bounty. The elven guy who usually sells the schematic didn't have it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Oh dumb me, I misremembered; I was able to obtain the feathers just fine, but was somehow unable to craft Harpy traps to complete the Harpy bounty. The elven guy who usually sells the schematic didn't have it.

Did you buy a harpy book? I believe a free Harpy Trap diagram comes with the harpy book.

e: And looking at the wiki, it's apparently a different guy that sells the diagram alone in Vergen, not the elf.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 26, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ubersampling fixed most of my issues in the main game, still feels a bit janky but that may just be the movement speed.

Still have slowdown when talking to people or playing stuff like the armwrestling game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My brothers keeps insisting to me that the devs have actually said Witcher 3 will perform better than the Witcher 2 with the same hardware any player was using to play Witcher 2. That seems like a big claim since Witcher 3 looks like a significant graphic upgrade, and it's open world.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Well, okay:

a) Geralt's got a fairly large amount of momentum, especially when pivoting.
b) Attack animations are long. Very long, and there's no way to cancel out of them.

The problem is that lots of people complain of Witcher 2 combat but when asked about a good combat system they mention some arcade, faster game. Which yeah is more responsive but unrealistically responsive!
I agree that animations were long and there was no way of canceling out, which killed you, but I wouldn't want for Witcher 3 to be a game with super fast short animations and immediate cancel of animations. That provokes a totally unrealistic combat. I actually liked that you were vulnerable when you attacked and had to think when and how to do it. It seems some people want to be able to attack and in the middle of the swing, press the roll or parry button and avoid or block whatever attack you was about to receive in 0.00001 secs.

Ideally I suppose there should be a way to cancel animations but it shouldn't be instantaneous, but it should blend with the next animation of the action you do (change a sword attack into a parry movement, if you press the button fast enough).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Megasabin posted:

My brothers keeps insisting to me that the devs have actually said Witcher 3 will perform better than the Witcher 2 with the same hardware any player was using to play Witcher 2. That seems like a big claim since Witcher 3 looks like a significant graphic upgrade, and it's open world.

I wouldn't be tremendously surprised if this was the case, but I also don't think we've ever said this.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
That would be great if true, I'm really hoping my i5-2500K/6950 are up to the task.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
EGX presentation.

Of course, they talk about shagging and Geralt's beard during the Q&A (sorry for not linking while the presentation of the points of interests and the game's tools was ongoing, I forgot to do it when it started and then I was too busy watching, while right now I can just listen to it).

EDIT: Welp, done! Recording should be up soonish.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 27, 2014

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjXRPeqnODM

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Playing through Witcher 1:EE and there's something that really annoys me; when I try and auto-loot from a bad guy, if they've got a secondary weapon (torch, dagger, etc) it won't auto-loot properly, it'll loot the rest of the items but then stay in the loot screen and cough up a message about not being able to loot the weapon because I've already got one in whatever slot it needs to go in.

I get you can only have one of each "type" but is there a mod or something that either removes all weapons from NPC loot tables, or just ignores the presence of the weapon when I auto loot?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yoshimo posted:

Playing through Witcher 1:EE and there's something that really annoys me; when I try and auto-loot from a bad guy, if they've got a secondary weapon (torch, dagger, etc) it won't auto-loot properly, it'll loot the rest of the items but then stay in the loot screen and cough up a message about not being able to loot the weapon because I've already got one in whatever slot it needs to go in.

I get you can only have one of each "type" but is there a mod or something that either removes all weapons from NPC loot tables, or just ignores the presence of the weapon when I auto loot?

Obligatory "Its because you are playing the wrong game, Yoshimo. Go back to BG2, you're drunk."

I love the name/av/text combo.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Very well. Hii-yah. :(

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Secondary weapons were so weird, I think i only ever used a torch. You already have two specialized swords for all enemies but you can also use this other axe/club with worse stats!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Secondary weapons were so weird, I think i only ever used a torch. You already have two specialized swords for all enemies but you can also use this other axe/club with worse stats!

And you had the added bonus of not being able to use combat styles with them, right?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

GrossMurpel posted:

And you had the added bonus of not being able to use combat styles with them, right?

Yep. No idea what they were thinking there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yep. No idea what they were thinking there.

The senior producer's infatuation w/ Souls games?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The first game predates Demon's Souls unless you mean a different thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RagnarokAngel posted:

The first game predates Demon's Souls unless you mean a different thing.

Aye, I thought you were talking about 2.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ah, there we go. Got rid of the depth of field and vsync options (why did I have vsync on?) and that's fixed it up perfectly. Runs smooth and responsive and cutscenes don't feel like they're suddenly losing frames.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yoshimo posted:

Very well. Hii-yah. :(

I'm so sorry, I meant to [spoilers] that not [slash] that. I think its pretty great, sorry for the typo :(

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Why does GMG not have a witcher 3 preorder? :mad:

I have such a nice 25% off coupon lying around...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Go buy Mordor with it.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
So I notice the official forums (and others) are blowing up over those recently posted screenshots, which strangely appear to be downsampled PC shots using lower-quality graphical presets. I don't suppose anyone is familiar with their provenance?

One of the "offending" shots:

My guess would be that these shots were either WIP or were never intended to be released but if there's even a chance that this is more than a tempest in a Temerian teapot, well... :unsmith:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Yo Comte are you guys showing any new footage at the EB Games Expo in Australia? Im about to see the presentation in 20 minutes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I forget, is the decision on handing Iorveth his sword the deciding factor in chapter 1, or can you change allegiances at a later date in that chapter? I kind of want to avoid the whole mass murder thing going on if possible.

Edit: vvv Neat. I was hoping that'd be the case. As long as it doesn't come back to bite me in the rear end too badly later on with regards to aiding a certain flying queen I'll be happy.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 3, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

evilmiera posted:

I forget, is the decision on handing Iorveth his sword the deciding factor in chapter 1, or can you change allegiances at a later date in that chapter? I kind of want to avoid the whole mass murder thing going on if possible.

It is NOT the deciding factor. You can chose to not help him which causes good things in Flotsam and later join him for Act 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Yeah the deciding factor is based solely on the quest "at a crossroads". Whether or not you give Iorveth his sword does change things in flotsam. Plus if you don't give him his sword you have no choice but to assault the town if you side with the scoietel and if you side with Roche but gave Iorveth his sword earlier Iorveth is slightly less pissy towards you later on in the game.

• Locked thread