Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Enzer posted:

Are we talking about Wolfe or CJ here? As far as I'm aware Wolfe was already in contact with his lawyer, unless I am mistaken.

Wolfe. If he was already in contact with his lawyer, his lawyer should've advised him not to issue the takedown since he put the poison pill in the source code to begin with. If Mojang/Microsoft really wanted to, they could go back and sue for infringement. With MS legal on their side, he'd owe a bunch of money to a lawyer even if he didn't lose the case. Cue 10 different depositions, on different aspects of the case, a mountain of discovery requests, and little niggling motions left, right, and center. I've seen MS Legal at work, and they are the gold standard for technological litigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rutibex posted:

I never even bothered counter noticing him I just put the pack on MultiUpload and he gave up at the prospect of DMCAing 10 different shady hosting companies at once.

Then you did it wrong.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mechaet posted:

I've seen MS Legal at work, and they are the gold standard for technological litigation.

yeah these little notices and takedown requests are going to start biting people back real soon once MS takes over. Going to be a bad day for some of the shittier types.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

wargames posted:

Then you did it wrong.

Which is why we did counter claim when it happened to us after we stole the plus+ pack.

Good times.

KingLemming posted:

To be fair, CJ's license is basically what I did, except with a giant scoop of crazy thrown in.

So if anyone truly takes umbrage, fire away:
https://github.com/CoFH/CoFHCore

Really the only thing we're trying to do with that is make sure that minor fixes can get rolled in, and if you need to copy 50% of the codebase...then wtf are you doing? That's basically just copying the mod, which is going to lead to community fragmentation, and nobody wants it.

Also, since it's not fully open, it keeps asie far far away, which is seriously worth doing.

I don't have an issue with your licence, but the idea that no one wants to fragment the community is silly. I'd love to see it shattered, whatever comes up after can't be any worse than the poo poo show we've got now.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Light Gun Man posted:

MFR conveyors maybe?

I ended up just scrapping the whole thing, at least until I decide I really need to set up a netherrack/soul sand farm. The tangled mess of wires and machinery I had set up was lagging me down pretty hard and I don't really need it now that I have a laser drill set up.

Another question though: I just built a 9x9x9 Big Reactor, 16 fuel rods arranged 2x2 in each corner and surrounded on all sides by gelid cryotheum. Before this I had a similar setup that was only 3 blocks in height, which was hovering around 1000-1100 degrees. So why is this one, which is identical every way except the height, running so hot? Would it be more efficient to use a checkered pattern for the fuel rods instead?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yep, adjacent fuel rods are pushing up the temperature of the reactor. Checkerboard that if you want to cool it down.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Don't you WANT the reactor to run hot, to produce more power?

Even after having it tediously explained a while back BR still confuses me :(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Don't you WANT the reactor to run hot, to produce more power?

Even after having it tediously explained a while back BR still confuses me :(

If fuel consumption is not an issue, yes -- more heat = more power.

Heat increases fuel consumption greater than linearly, IIRC, so there is definitely incentive to use as much cooling as you can muster if you are concerned about fuel use.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Which is why we did counter claim when it happened to us after we stole the plus+ pack.

Good times.

I don't have an issue with your licence, but the idea that no one wants to fragment the community is silly. I'd love to see it shattered, whatever comes up after can't be any worse than the poo poo show we've got now.

Oh no, there are people that want to fragment the community, because they like watching the world burn. But it's really not beneficial in the grand scheme.

It's strange how people love the fact that we have a (mostly) unified power system, but saying that I'd like to keep my mod unified is met with any resistance at all. Having a bunch of forks and unofficial versions isn't going to help players or modpacks.

For the most part, people are reasonable, but there's always the crazies out there. I don't want to see TE-<whoever edition>-KL-sucks-lawl-4.1.jar cropping up. It could certainly happen already, but I don't want to encourage it.

ffguy
Apr 14, 2007
I'm a gopher.

KingLemming posted:

To be fair, CJ's license is basically what I did, except with a giant scoop of crazy thrown in.

So if anyone truly takes umbrage, fire away:
https://github.com/CoFH/CoFHCore

Really the only thing we're trying to do with that is make sure that minor fixes can get rolled in, and if you need to copy 50% of the codebase...then wtf are you doing? That's basically just copying the mod, which is going to lead to community fragmentation, and nobody wants it.

Also, since it's not fully open, it keeps asie far far away, which is seriously worth doing.

The crazy self-contradicting mess is what I object to, not the idea of visible-source. Just on principle I wish you could carve out a derivative work exception for private use (ie private builds of CoFHCore for use by friends) but that kind of "No use except some poorly defined A,B,C" structure is how you end up with a bucket of insanity like CJ's "license". CoFH is a good learning tool and the license facilitates that use just fine. Railcraft? Not so much.

ffguy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 27, 2014

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

mechaet posted:

Wolfe. If he was already in contact with his lawyer, his lawyer should've advised him not to issue the takedown since he put the poison pill in the source code to begin with. If Mojang/Microsoft really wanted to, they could go back and sue for infringement. With MS legal on their side, he'd owe a bunch of money to a lawyer even if he didn't lose the case. Cue 10 different depositions, on different aspects of the case, a mountain of discovery requests, and little niggling motions left, right, and center. I've seen MS Legal at work, and they are the gold standard for technological litigation.

I'm certainly curious to see how this plays out. I did finally read a summary on Slashdot which spelled everything out in such a way that I could finally grasp Wolv's rationale and get some deeper understanding as to why the whole thing went down the way it did. But throwing MS into the mix really does make this a whole new ballgame.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

EricFate posted:

I'm certainly curious to see how this plays out. I did finally read a summary on Slashdot which spelled everything out in such a way that I could finally grasp Wolv's rationale and get some deeper understanding as to why the whole thing went down the way it did. But throwing MS into the mix really does make this a whole new ballgame.

http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=5644349&cid=47840825

That is the correct view on how this whole thing works.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

KingLemming posted:

Oh no, there are people that want to fragment the community, because they like watching the world burn. But it's really not beneficial in the grand scheme.

It's strange how people love the fact that we have a (mostly) unified power system, but saying that I'd like to keep my mod unified is met with any resistance at all. Having a bunch of forks and unofficial versions isn't going to help players or modpacks.

For the most part, people are reasonable, but there's always the crazies out there. I don't want to see TE-<whoever edition>-KL-sucks-lawl-4.1.jar cropping up. It could certainly happen already, but I don't want to encourage it.

Maybe I'm just used to nothing working together so it doesn't bother me that it might. It's also easy for me to just become disengaged from the community for half a year of fall out and reorganization. That said, there's been plenty of goon forks and mod mods to circumvent dumb ideas in various mods like IC2 or railcraft (Like railfix.) and I don't see those as a bad thing at all. You're not bad like most of the other modders, but let's be honest here, you're the anomaly. Most of the modders are either children or manchildren, and having their mods shattered and them leaving in disgust would be an objectively good thing for the community. That's not wanting to see the world burn in the slightest.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Nastyman posted:

I ended up just scrapping the whole thing, at least until I decide I really need to set up a netherrack/soul sand farm. The tangled mess of wires and machinery I had set up was lagging me down pretty hard and I don't really need it now that I have a laser drill set up.

Another question though: I just built a 9x9x9 Big Reactor, 16 fuel rods arranged 2x2 in each corner and surrounded on all sides by gelid cryotheum. Before this I had a similar setup that was only 3 blocks in height, which was hovering around 1000-1100 degrees. So why is this one, which is identical every way except the height, running so hot? Would it be more efficient to use a checkered pattern for the fuel rods instead?

The more fuel you have reacting in your reactor, the higher the temperature will be and thus higher fuel consumption. Taller fuel rods means more fuel reacting. A checkerboard pattern, as Grimm suggested, is quite space-efficient and works well in wide reactors. Past 400% fertility is pretty decent though. If you want a cooler reactor, either make it wider and shorter or chop it in half and make a second reactor somewhere. You can also lower the control rods to reduce the amount of fuel reacting but that's essentially the same thing as having a shorter reactor! You'd just have a higher yellorium tank at that point.

Edit: Oh, actually if you used the same rods in a wider but shorter reactor it'd still get really hot. The fertilization would be higher though, so the fuel consumption would go down.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 27, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there some trick to getting blue slime in Agrarian Skies? There's a quest for it, and it's very tedious to chop down the trees that would yield it. MFR machines don't handle slime trees. I managed to spawn a green slime using the ex nihilo methods, but I don't see anything similar to acquire a blue slime.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some trick to getting blue slime in Agrarian Skies? There's a quest for it, and it's very tedious to chop down the trees that would yield it. MFR machines don't handle slime trees. I managed to spawn a green slime using the ex nihilo methods, but I don't see anything similar to acquire a blue slime.

They spawn from blue slime water, is there a way to get that? Blue slime balls also drop from the leaves of the slime trees, rarely.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
One of the quests gave me a bucket of blue slime water. I used that to spawn a slime, then autospawned it to get the necessary blue slime blocks. IIRC blue slimes only spawn in the slimewater if it's in a lit area. Perhaps during the day.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dunno-Lars posted:

They spawn from blue slime water, is there a way to get that? Blue slime balls also drop from the leaves of the slime trees, rarely.

So far, the leaves have been the only way. I could not pull up a recipe for blue slime as a fluid block nor in a bucket. I think online it has been implied there was a quest reward for it that I would have had to have chosen over something else. I do not know which quest it could be, and whether it can be repeated.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

The more fuel you have reacting in your reactor, the higher the temperature will be and thus higher fuel consumption. Taller fuel rods means more fuel reacting. A checkerboard pattern, as Grimm suggested, is quite space-efficient and works well in wide reactors. Past 400% fertility is pretty decent though. If you want a cooler reactor, either make it wider and shorter or chop it in half and make a second reactor somewhere. You can also lower the control rods to reduce the amount of fuel reacting but that's essentially the same thing as having a shorter reactor! You'd just have a higher yellorium tank at that point.

Edit: Oh, actually if you used the same rods in a wider but shorter reactor it'd still get really hot. The fertilization would be higher though, so the fuel consumption would go down.

Also Big Reactors dont go BOOOOOM!!! so run it hot as you like as its not going to go Kaboom unlike the IC2 Reactors.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

TheresaJayne posted:

Also Big Reactors dont go BOOOOOM!!! so run it hot as you like as its not going to go Kaboom unlike the IC2 Reactors.

What exactly happens? I'm looking to dip my toes into using Big Reactors, what's a good coolant to use? layout? etc

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

CrazyTolradi posted:

What exactly happens? I'm looking to dip my toes into using Big Reactors, what's a good coolant to use? layout? etc

Honestly, for a first time "trying it out" reactor you can't go wrong with a basic 4 core 7x7 set up cooled by water.

It's pretty easy to get going and will pump out a fair amount of RF so you can get some infrastructure going before moving to bigger and better things.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

AceClown posted:

Honestly, for a first time "trying it out" reactor you can't go wrong with a basic 4 core 7x7 set up cooled by water.

It's pretty easy to get going and will pump out a fair amount of RF so you can get some infrastructure going before moving to bigger and better things.

Per my experiments a few months ago, water is completely useless for cooling Big Reactors. Just use destabilized redstone, it has 90% of the efficiency of liquid ender and you only need 120 redstone for the above reactor.

Edit: Or energized glowstone, one quick trip to the nether gets that.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 27, 2014

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

Nothing bad happens if you screw it up. If you build a big sloppy reactor, then it's inefficient, but that's the extent of it. I think that something might go terribly wrong if you start using them to make steam to run turbines, but I am pretty sure that this is not the case, and the worst case scenario is once again a lack of efficiency.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

MechaCrash posted:

Nothing bad happens if you screw it up. If you build a big sloppy reactor, then it's inefficient, but that's the extent of it. I think that something might go terribly wrong if you start using them to make steam to run turbines, but I am pretty sure that this is not the case, and the worst case scenario is once again a lack of efficiency.

Turbine catastrophic failure isn't implemented yet. Both Reactor Meltdown and Turbine Failure are on the roadmap for later on, but for now, you can do whatever zany nonsense you want and suffer no consequences.

CrazyTolradi posted:

My current favorite "easy" design is a 7x7x5 reactor with an X of 5 fuel rods in the center, with either Gelid Cryotheum or Resonant Ender coolant. Resonant Ender is better for raw power (and is easier to make), Gelid Cryotheum is better for fuel efficiency (but you'll have to make enough cryotheum to fill the reactor, as Gelid Cryotheum blocks fall). Both will produce gobs and gobs of power. Destablized Redstone and Energized Glowstone also work well.

As long as you remember to put fuel rods primarily in direct lines to other fuel rods (not diagonal) and put something other than plain water in, there's no bad Big Reactor design. It's surprisingly easy to work with. If you're nervous, load up a test world and build some test reactors, see what you like.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

McFrugal posted:

Thanks, that's quite helpful. I was actually just sitting here thinking about how best to rebuild my reactor (after a few dissatisfying test runs and redesigns last night) when I saw your post. After a bit of research, it's starting to look like the best option might indeed be to make two or three smaller reactors and replace the outermost layer of cryotheum with resonant ender.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Serifina posted:

Turbine catastrophic failure isn't implemented yet. Both Reactor Meltdown and Turbine Failure are on the roadmap for later on, but for now, you can do whatever zany nonsense you want and suffer no consequences.

My current favorite "easy" design is a 7x7x5 reactor with an X of 5 fuel rods in the center, with either Gelid Cryotheum or Resonant Ender coolant. Resonant Ender is better for raw power (and is easier to make), Gelid Cryotheum is better for fuel efficiency (but you'll have to make enough cryotheum to fill the reactor, as Gelid Cryotheum blocks fall). Both will produce gobs and gobs of power. Destablized Redstone and Energized Glowstone also work well.

As long as you remember to put fuel rods primarily in direct lines to other fuel rods (not diagonal) and put something other than plain water in, there's no bad Big Reactor design. It's surprisingly easy to work with. If you're nervous, load up a test world and build some test reactors, see what you like.

Why do you recommend an X when you know how fertilization works? The center fuel rod isn't contributing.

Also since flowing blocks count, you don't have to completely fill a reactor with source blocks. If the inner height is 1, you can use surprisingly few buckets, regardless of what type of liquid you're using.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Serifina posted:

Well, there is the comic amounts of graphics lag a glass/"open" turbine casing produces. I'd put that under a "consequence of bad reactor design".

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Resonant Ender's a good coolant, but modifying a reactor using it is hilarious/annoying. I didn't know the properties of RE the first time and got teleported into a wall.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

Why do you recommend an X when you know how fertilization works? The center fuel rod isn't contributing.

Also since flowing blocks count, you don't have to completely fill a reactor with source blocks. If the inner height is 1, you can use surprisingly few buckets, regardless of what type of liquid you're using.

Because with cryotheum or ender you're already bypassing 400% fertility at that point, with or without the extra rod. It does significantly increase power production without increasing fuel usage unreasonably.

Cryotheum fluid blocks fall. Which I said. (As does Blazing Pyrotheum.) Which is why you have to make enough to fill. In theory, you can probably finagle it so that the flowing blocks to the side work but the difference isn't much and having flowing blocks around both looks bad and feels unreliable to me. Also, if you're doing completely flat reactors, then it doesn't matter at all anyway, but the overall power to materials gets pretty lopsided, since you'll be making two layers of casing for every one layer of fuel.

Alkydere posted:

Well, there is the comic amounts of graphics lag a glass/"open" turbine casing produces. I'd put that under a "consequence of bad reactor design".

Eh. From what I've gotten, reports on the actual lag vary. The one I had on Progress doesn't count since it suffered that desync bug, but I've tested a few others and never seen any significant lag.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Anyone have any experience with the Spice of Life mod?

I'm looking to change the configs so that food doesn't become worthless after eating it four times, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the formula he has in the config file.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Did someone mention way back a mod or mod item that would take 4 of an item and attempt to craft them together?

Would make my life so much easier right now...

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

AceClown posted:

Did someone mention way back a mod or mod item that would take 4 of an item and attempt to craft them together?

Would make my life so much easier right now...

There's an autopackager that attempts to take items from an inventory on its left and combine them in either a 2x2 or a 3x3 crafting grid to an item it puts in the inventory on its left. I know it's in AgSkies.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Echophonic posted:

Resonant Ender's a good coolant, but modifying a reactor using it is hilarious/annoying. I didn't know the properties of RE the first time and got teleported into a wall.

Mystcraft threw me a world with a few islands in a gigantic resonant ender ocean. It contains a large amount of very confused squids.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
Any tips for getting started in NST:max? I haven't played modded minecraft since the first technic pack.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Mystcraft threw me a world with a few islands in a gigantic resonant ender ocean. It contains a large amount of very confused squids.

Heh, they move by literal *bloops*.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Could someone please link me to the post from a bit ago detailing how to make obsidian using smeltery tanks and drains?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Lizard Wizard posted:

Could someone please link me to the post from a bit ago detailing how to make obsidian using smeltery tanks and drains?

I haven't seen that one, but I assume you just pump in lava and water into a smeltery via the drains.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

What are some of the good magic-y mods out there ?? Right now I have Thaumcraft and Witchery, and I tried Ars Magica but that was too easy mode

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

A lot of people seem to like Blood Magic. Botania too maybe, though that's more druid hippy poo poo :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Witchery.

• Locked thread