Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Feenix posted:

If the 6 had OIS and the battery of the Plus, I'd have been more inclined to go with it. The Plus won out for all those reasons but yes the reg 6 is the ultimate form factor.

I hope that when the 6s is released it has these improvements and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

the kawaiiest posted:

In the end though I chose not to keep it because it was such a pain in the rear end to take pictures with it -- it was just not possible for me to take pictures with one hand, which is how I do it most of the time since I'm always carrying shopping bags or walking the dog or whatever. It was just too big for that, and I was really bummed. I've heard that the 6 Plus is not quite as wide as the Note 3, though. Are you able to take pictures with it using just one hand? The answer is probably "no" but hope springs eternal. I miss having a stupidly huge screen.

To be honest, I almost always find myself taking photos with two hands, regardless of the size of the phone I'm holding, because I'm used to doing that with my DSLR.

That said, I do have I two methods for taking photos with the 6 Plus one handed. Method one is to hold the phone between my index and pinky fingers (kinda like a claw) with my middle and ring fingers on the back of the phone (my thumb works the shutter button). The other is to hold the phone by the edges and press the volume down key to activate the shutter, which is more secure feeling and a lot easier to do but obviously blocks most of the display.

Gandhi Theft Auto
May 15, 2007

Is it possible to forcibly allow Personal Hotspot without jailbreaking? I rely on tethering for work and after moving to iPhone it seems my "carrier" does not "support" it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Bought the 64 Gig 6 from an Apple store yesterday, and it's working really well for me. The space alone makes it worth it. My 5S only had 16 gigs, so I could not really put much of anything on it and had to rely on streaming. Now I through a good chunk of my music, videos, and games on there, and have so much space left over.

The physical size is good too. It looks and feels a bit like my HTC One M8, except a little smaller and thinner. Reachability mode has been working reliably for my on 8.0.2, which really does make it nicer to actually reach stuff on the top of the screen when I need to one handed (rather than slide my hand like I do on the One.), but I just have to remember to use it. The speakers are also a bit louder too, which is sweet.

Smoot
Feb 18, 2006

I'm seeing something weird on my iPhone 6.

That "CSIS OPS" Apple TV only shows up on my iPhone, and none of my other Apple devices (iPad, MacBook Air). It also comes and goes; it'll stick around for a while, then disappear for a few minutes before coming back. Is there some new way of connecting to Apple TVs in the 6 that I'm not aware of and I'm just picking up someone else's Apple TV, or should I be very :tinfoil: right now? (I'm in Canada, and CSIS is our CIA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Security_Intelligence_Service)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Smoot posted:

That "CSIS OPS" Apple TV only shows up on my iPhone, and none of my other Apple devices (iPad, MacBook Air). It also comes and goes; it'll stick around for a while, then disappear for a few minutes before coming back. Is there some new way of connecting to Apple TVs in the 6 that I'm not aware of and I'm just picking up someone else's Apple TV, or should I be very :tinfoil: right now? (I'm in Canada, and CSIS is our CIA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Security_Intelligence_Service)

Maybe a neighbor has a device named that? Depending on where you are in your house you are picking it up?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoot posted:

[/url]

It's probably one of your neighbors' Bluetooth devices. Your other devices can't see it because the iPhone 6 has wicked good Bluetooth range. My phone will connect to my car even if it's sitting in the house, which has actually resulted in my forgetting my phone at home once already.

Smoot
Feb 18, 2006

lelandjs posted:

It's probably one of your neighbors' Bluetooth devices. Your other devices can't see it because the iPhone 6 has wicked good Bluetooth range. My phone will connect to my car even if it's sitting in the house, which has actually resulted in my forgetting my phone at home once already.

That makes sense. I didn't realize you can connect to Apple TVs over Bluetooth now.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Smoot posted:

That makes sense. I didn't realize you can connect to Apple TVs over Bluetooth now.

I didn't either. That's pretty nice change.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I heard something about peer to peer for AirPlay, does that mean they don't need to be on the same wifi network now?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So if that's not your AppleTV, is there any way to get it off the list?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I am thoroughly impressed with that lovely 2 dollar Chinese case posted a while ago. Two dollars, delivered in like a week and the build quality is impressive. (For the price)

I don't use cases but I could see myself using this one at like disneyland, put my annual pass and driver license in there and just use apple pay for everything. Leave the wallet at home.

Edit to avoid being a double posting douchebag: I'm looking for a small skinny sim card holder. I need it to hold a few nano SIM cards and an ejector tool/paper clip. Thinner the better. Ideally it could fit 3-4 nano sims and the holder and can fit in a credit card slot in a travel wallet.

This is the best I've seen: http://www.amazon.com/Perixx-PERIPRO-402-Mobile-Safe-Case/dp/B00HYFE18G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411832658&sr=8-1&keywords=Nano+sim+case but it's a little thicker than what I would like.

EpicNemesis fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 27, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thanks for the advice-my wife was able to exchange the 16 for the 64.

She's back now and when I send her a iMessage message it goes to her iPad but that's it. She can send me a text, but it goes through as text and not iMessage.

Any ideas?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Dammit iphone 6, I'm about to get throttled on at&t's lovely unlimited plan.

How bad is this going to be?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

nwin posted:

Thanks for the advice-my wife was able to exchange the 16 for the 64.

She's back now and when I send her a iMessage message it goes to her iPad but that's it. She can send me a text, but it goes through as text and not iMessage.

Any ideas?

Didn't turn off messages on phone she just traded?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

various cheeses posted:

Hope you can work with dial up speeds

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

various cheeses posted:

I've had AT&T "unlimited" for 6 years and consistently am in the 4-8GB usage range (mostly Spotify streaming during long road trips), and I haven't noticed any sort of throttling ever, although that could just be because the benchmark for audio streaming isn't that high.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

That's a relief. I don't watch Netflix on my phone much. Music streaming is main thing I'm concerned about. Either way gently caress those guys. I hear it drops to 0.5mbps max.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

various cheeses posted:

I am in the exact same boat. Got my iPhone 6 and I accidentally let Spotify do some syncing over LTE and now I'm over the 5GB mark. Speed tests show me at 512k/512k. Audio streaming works, web browsing isn't awful, but Google maps is pretty slow loading.

12 days till the end of my billing cycle :emo:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Based on recommendations from these threads, I got the Spigen Ultra Hybrid iPhone 6 cover. I originally didn't want this case because it was clear (the only phone color available the morning after launch was champagne), but I really liked the rest of the design. They put a lot of thought into giving coverage to the front (raised off the surface so the glass won't be touching), and after several cases that didn't have coverage for the entire edge of the phone, that was my number one concern this time around. And then I realized, I could just slip something under the clear cover. Originally, I was thinking of doing yellow construction paper or something. Black and gold, because I'm a big Pittsburgh sports fan.

But... why not take it further?

I traced the logo design from a lower resolution design that has been sold by various outlets on t-shirts and decals. The skyline and bridge were readymade. I got this printed at CVS and the quality is kinda crappy, but my brother works at a print shop, so he's going to get me something better. And when I do that, I'll raise the bridge higher...

You can use the template that I made to make your own covers. This is sized to be printed onto 4x6 prints.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

So I went out for a friends birthday last night. Literally everyone who saw and noticed my 6 asked me "so does it bend???" Or "did you bend it yet??" :|

Also I was standing next to another guy with a 6 on the subway and we looked at each other and were phone bros for a second.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ShoogaSlim posted:

So I went out for a friends birthday last night. Literally everyone who saw and noticed my 6 asked me "so does it bend???" Or "did you bend it yet??" :|

Also I was standing next to another guy with a 6 on the subway and we looked at each other and were phone bros for a second.

Was his phone bent?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

Was his bent?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

Was his cell phone bent?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Did this really just happen

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
Oh you guys.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Did this really just happen

Get bent.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Don't know how to tell you this, but that was their way of telling you to lose some weight.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Feenix posted:

Didn't turn off messages on phone she just traded?
nope she didn't. You figure that the Apple Store would have told her this fact.

Any idea how to fix it?

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

jackpot posted:

There's nothing in the OP about it - where's that site we can go that tells us which stores have which models in stock? Or is that just a figment of my imagination? I want to get a 64gb 6 in space grey, but I'd rather wait a few weeks than drive around town all day looking for one.

They're shipping a lot more quickly from apple.com than the delivery date would imply. I ordered a 64GB 6 two days ago and its already shipped.

As an aside, this is my first iPhone in a while, jumped ship to android after my 4S. Any recommendations for a good, sturdy case? Is the official apple leather case decent?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

nwin posted:

Any idea how to fix it?
Turn iMessage off and then back on again.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

ShoogaSlim posted:

ha was his bent?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

nwin posted:

Any idea how to fix it?

In addition to turning iMessage off and back on, remove her old device from her Find My iPhone list.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

Consumer reports tested bendgazi out. I will now stop treating my phone like its a single stick of gum.

They actually found the plus to be stronger. It is a thicker phone after all.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

CoasterMaster posted:

I am in the exact same boat. Got my iPhone 6 and I accidentally let Spotify do some syncing over LTE and now I'm over the 5GB mark. Speed tests show me at 512k/512k. Audio streaming works, web browsing isn't awful, but Google maps is pretty slow loading.

12 days till the end of my billing cycle :emo:

You know what bandwidth you get here in Germany with most carriers when you get over your monthly limit? 64kbit/s...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
iPhone 6 unlocks are eventually going to come down in price to iphone 5/etcs unlocks, right?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

iPhone 6 unlocks are eventually going to come down in price to iphone 5/etcs unlocks, right?

No, they'll remain at their current price until the universe dies.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Residency Evil posted:

There's no difference in price between devices.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I'm the first one at my workplace with a 6+ and every one of these knuckleheads are all "did it bend yet? Did it bend? Don't bend it! Watch out its gonna bend!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A tomato
Aug 16, 2014

by Ralp
The antenna lines are exactly as bad as you thought they were when you saw the first leaks; before you convinced yourself they didn't matter. The non-flush camera is bad. My emails don't get pushed to my phone anymore and no, that isn't old news, I really was getting push emails two days ago on my 5S. Non-updated apps look like garbage and make me angry. I've hit a couple of weird bugs that disappear with restart, but maybe those would have presented on my old phone too. 128GB of storage is probably overkill but totally rad. The curved edges feel really nice when swiping left and right; I like that a lot. The camera takes great pictures and I love the new slo-mo video. The 6 is probably 2/10 of an inch too big and the 6+ made me actually angry when I held/tried to hold it in the store. I like the big display for pictures and a handful of websites, but it doesn't change my Twitter game and I'm using the reachability shortcut a lot. The iPhone 4 was a museum-quality piece of art and these phones are nowhere near the same caliber of design. Are you really still reading this? Sorry. I'm giving the thing another week before selling it for a new 5S.

I feel a little better now.