Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh Clara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh Clara :sweatdrop:

"Space-Dad" - the alien technology stuff etc is okay, but the best part of this episode is the ridiculous interactions between the Doctor, Clara and Danny.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jesus Christ Clara, how long did it take you to get to just coming out with the truth.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

This episode is so weird but I like it way more than I should.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No no no goddammit get rid of this girl Jesus gently caress.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If Clara leaves then I vote Courtney "Disruptive Influence" Woods as new companion.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Soldier, maths teacher, ninja.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.
Hahaha, what was that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So THAT is why that terrible tumbling show was on before Doctor Who the last few weeks :aaa:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

SiKboy posted:

If Clara leaves then I vote Courtney "Disruptive Influence" Woods as new companion.

Dont think shes got the stomach for it in retrospect...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FiftySeven posted:

Dont think shes got the stomach for it in retrospect...

Thank Christ.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Perfect way of discouraging her.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Oh loving fuckshit I might have to skip next week...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Missy being part of an organisation makes her infinitely more interesting to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Space Spiders on the Moon was a terrible movie when it was Apollo 18, so I won't be going into next week with high hopes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But now the spiders have human mouths! They're mouthspiders!

Does that last scene mean the guy behind the desk is Saint Peter?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
That was good.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I think that was a fairly solid episode? I feel agreeable but not feverish with fanglee.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Good episode, all the Danny/Clara/Doctor bickering was fun. The Doctor being her space-Dad was especially hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fun episode this week, but the alien menace stuff was the weakest part of it - it served as a great excuse to get the Doctor being awful at being undercover and lead to great interactions between the Doctor, Clara and Danny but I think I actually might have been happier if in the end the menace had turned out to be some innocuous piece of alien technology (maybe even something HE left behind) and given more room for the strain of Danny discovering Clara's double life.

I think my favorite bit was after Clara's appallingly awful lie about the secret play, when the Doctor gets confused because he thought there was really going to be one :3:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
A fun ride, enjoyable bickering, Matt Smith cosplayer, a ninja-leaping maths teacher, and yeah, the Doctor is so Clara's space dad.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
suspension of desbelief is a weird thing. the only thing that left me scratching my head was the ninja jumping Danny Pink.
also I get the impression that they decided to make the Doctor extra anti-military to create tension with Danny. that kind of annoys me.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Oh my god, I only have to remember that loving flip and I burst out laughing.

A decent episode, but THAT loving FLIP

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I was laughing my rear end off through most of this episode, god I love the Clara-Doctor dynamic they've got going. Especially the :stare: Clara does.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

That was a good comedy episode, but the drama didn't land for me at all.

Thought it was interesting that they confirmed this all thing as a The Thick of It spin-off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought it was fun. I would watch it again.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

If we were to fan wank why the Doctor hates soldiers so much now I'd say it's because the recent meeting with War and the imminent return of Gallifrey remind him of when he used to be a commander and send hundreds to their deaths. They even directly reference the War Doctor's best line when Danny says soldiers save people from fires while the Doctor lights them.

"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame."

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
My favourite part of the episode was the Doctor going all Pink Floyd, it's a song that suits him.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if the Clara teaching thing is supposed to reference the Doctor's first companions.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

I wonder if the Clara teaching thing is supposed to reference the Doctor's first companions.

She's teaching at the same school they worked at and the reason the alien robot was there this episode was the high amount of TARDIS landings over the many years.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So since the guy talking to the Cop at the end was Chris Addison, does this mean Andy Parsons is going to show up in a later episode?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Judge Tesla posted:

So since the guy talking to the Cop at the end was Chris Addison, does this mean Andy Parsons is going to show up in a later episode?

I'm rather holding out for Alex MacQueen myself

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Turns out the Master was just trying to settle in for the night to watch the cricket and maybe have some lovely biscuits with his cup of tea.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Turns out the Master was just trying to settle in for the night to watch the cricket and maybe have some lovely biscuits with his cup of tea.

This made me grin like mad. I love this thread.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

"Clara? No pissy biscuits, please."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
This episode had some (mildly) amusing moments, but it's cemented something that's been developing all season: the show's become The Misadventures Of Clara rather than Doctor Who. This week, Clara has a big date with her hunky co-worker, but her wacky time-travelling neighbour space dad friend throws a spanner in the works once again! That crazy Kramer Doctor, what will he get up to next?

Matt Smith's stories often had sitcom-esque scenes, sometimes to excess, but this year's gone all-out with it and it's getting tiresome. The Doctor's seemed less like the hero of his own show than the zany comic relief.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Payndz posted:

This episode had some (mildly) amusing moments, but it's cemented something that's been developing all season: the show's become The Misadventures Of Clara rather than Doctor Who. This week, Clara has a big date with her hunky co-worker, but her wacky time-travelling neighbour space dad friend throws a spanner in the works once again! That crazy Kramer Doctor, what will he get up to next?

Matt Smith's stories often had sitcom-esque scenes, sometimes to excess, but this year's gone all-out with it and it's getting tiresome. The Doctor's seemed less like the hero of his own show than the zany comic relief.

So we've gone from "Clara isn't getting enough characterisation" to "CLARA IS GETTING ALL THE CHARACTERISATION :byodood:"

I'm calling this a victory.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Yeah, that was pretty good and I liked it

E: also literally screamed out loud at the dude from the thick of it

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 27, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Oh I can only hope if The Master comes back, it's with either MacQueen or Gatiss. Since I kinda doubt Gatiss would want to take on a recurring role (and a well known one), I will hold out for MacQueen.

Now we get Tennant to don some make-up and he can be a secondary character as Brimmicombe-Wood. In fact, let's just start producing Big Finish stories and call it a day.

I would love an "Unbound" episode, or whatever you want to call it, where it completely changes things (like Turn Left but with less focus on "this is the correct path and if you fail to follow it BAD poo poo HAPPENS" and more on just exploring the world after the point of departure.

Hell, make it an alternate reality thing if you need a reason. Maybe just send Clara there and she gets to meet this "alternate Doctor" (who eventually sends her home, of course).

OK now I'm just writing fan-fiction, time to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

"EAT THE FUCKIN' CHEESE, MASTER!"

• Locked thread