Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

A tomato posted:

the 6+ made me actually angry when I held/tried to hold it in the store.

This was my fave part of your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

A tomato posted:

My emails don't get pushed to my phone anymore and no, that isn't old news, I really was getting push emails two days ago on my 5S.

Gmail?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I've been using the god drat Gmail app ever since it's been available and I haven't gone back since what the gently caress is so confusing about it why are there 500 "where's my push email" comments in this thread holy gently caress.

Sometimes I get email on my phone faster than when I'm sitting on my laptop with the Gmail site open.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'll have to add a line to my evening prayers where I say thanks for my normal sized hands that can hold something the size of a 6+ without bringing tears of frustration to my eyes and giving a quivery lip

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I'll have to add a line to my evening prayers where I say thanks for my normal sized hands that can hold something the size of a 6+ without bringing tears of frustration to my eyes and giving a quivery lip

Mine's being delivered a week from Monday, and now I'm afraid I'm going to be thrown into such a frothy rage I'm going to shatter my phone with a claw hammer.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gmail app is a lot better than it used to be but it still feels like a half-assed web app to me.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
Good thing if you don't like the size of your 6+ you have exactly 14 days to return it!

A tomato
Aug 16, 2014

by Ralp

withak posted:

Gmail app is a lot better than it used to be but it still feels like a half-assed web app to me.

And Gmail app hasn't even been updated for the new sizes. Stretched apps are bad. Email's a core phone function. Stop settling people you are all beautiful you all deserve better

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

withak posted:

myMail owns. Just use that. It's from a relatively new company that adds lots of functionality each update too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

spunkshui posted:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

Consumer reports tested bendgazi out. I will now stop treating my phone like its a single stick of gum.

They actually found the plus to be stronger. It is a thicker phone after all.

So the whole thing was blown out of proportion?! :monocle:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

You know... I was about to point out my most disliked flaw of the Mail app being that you couldn't add an attachment from the compose message screen. But I wanted to test the theory before I posted and I realize you can if you tap, hold, then hit the right arrow and select "insert photo or video." For something so simple I feel like that's a sloppy implementation however it actually allows you to add attachments to the body of the message without it just being added as an attachment, which I rather like.

My whole world is upside down now, you guys.

e: though Gmail auto filtering Social and Promotions has really saved my sanity since I don't get notifications from those emails at all. If I could find a way to add that functionality to the mail app I would switch back to it. All in all it doesn't really loving matter whatever

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So I have an appointment at an Applestore to (hopefully) get my iPhone 5 replaced under AppleCare+ due to the sleep/power button issue and what I think are reception issues due to a couple of drops it took. I bought a 6+ and already upgraded to it - my hope was to replace the 5 and then sell it. Is the fact I already upgraded going to have any impact on being able to replace the 5?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Mailbox was suggested by some people in here to me and it's loving dope as hell. Slick interface and feels like an app as opposed to the gmail app which just felt like gmail through safari

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SourKraut posted:

So I have an appointment at an Applestore to (hopefully) get my iPhone 5 replaced under AppleCare+ due to the sleep/power button issue and what I think are reception issues due to a couple of drops it took. I bought a 6+ and already upgraded to it - my hope was to replace the 5 and then sell it. Is the fact I already upgraded going to have any impact on being able to replace the 5?

Your warranty with Apple is separate from your cell carrier.

The only caveat: if you intend to apply for a carrier unlock on your old phone, do it before you get a warranty swap to avoid extra hassle with the device ID not matching.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Your warranty with Apple is separate from your cell carrier.

The only caveat: if you intend to apply for a carrier unlock on your old phone, do it before you get a warranty swap to avoid extra hassle with the device ID not matching.

Thanks! I'm with Verizon, so I think the 5 was unlocked already?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SourKraut posted:

Thanks! I'm with Verizon, so I think the 5 was unlocked already?

Yeah, the Verizon iPhone 5 models were not carrier locked. Actually, I don't think any of the Verizon phones since the 5 are locked as part of the agreement with the FCC for being able to purchase the 750MHz spectrum.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

SourKraut posted:

Because you have AppleCare you may have a better experience than I did but Apple basically told me to go gently caress myself when I brought my iPhone 5 in to be repaired for sleep/wake button issues.

My phone's serial number showed up as eligible for replacement on the Apple site but because I had a minor MINOR dent on the bottom end of my phone they said they wouldn't be able to replace the screen and that there was literally nothing they could do for me. YMMV though but just a head's up since you said you've dropped your phone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

rear end Catchcum posted:

Mailbox was suggested by some people in here to me and it's loving dope as hell. Slick interface and feels like an app as opposed to the gmail app which just felt like gmail through safari

Mailbox changed the way I used email. Pretty awesome.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So the whole thing was blown out of proportion?! :monocle:

Nah, consumer reports uses a 3 point bend test. Apparently, a 4 point bend test (which is basically what you do when you try to bend the phone with your hands) does a better job revealing weak points on the phone.

Another bending vid show the 4 point load:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58g-sMrkys

Explained more here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8375841

quote:

This test shows a severe lack of understanding of flexural strength testing. This test is a bastardization of the three point bending test that is commonly performed for peak bending strength analysis of materials.
Bending is a result of moments and moments are driven by moment arms. These tests should not be looking at point load required to induce deformation but rather the moment required to induce deformation. Each of these should have been converted into equivalent moments based on the size of the phone.
For example, the M8 is shown as 146.3 mm (5.76 in) H; 70.6 mm (2.78 in) W; 9.4 mm (0.37 in) D and the iPhone 6 is 138.1 x 67 x 6.9 mm (5.44 x 2.64 x 0.27 in) and both are shown to "deform" at 70 lbs.
The M8 has an induced moment of 100 lb-in while the iPhone 6 has an induced moment of 95 lb-in. The resultant bending stress by assuming a linear stress distribution across the section is then 1575 psi for the M8 and 2950 psi for the iPhone 6.
Similar analyses should be undertaken for each of the other phones.
A more accurate test for the failure mode of concern would be a four point load test in which moment is constant across a portion of the phone. The three point load test induces a moment that is maximum at the point of load application. The four point load test is more likely to show you where the point of weakness in the phone is.

quote:

Civil Engineering Grad student here. Agreed, four point load test allows for uniform bending moment distribution between the two loading point. Which can expose the weakest point in the phone (in iPhone6+ near the volume buttons). The link below is the moment diagram for both load test. http://images.slideplayer.us/5/1566057/slides/slide_20.jpg

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A tomato posted:

The antenna lines are exactly as bad as you thought they were when you saw the first leaks; before you convinced yourself they didn't matter. The non-flush camera is bad. My emails don't get pushed to my phone anymore and no, that isn't old news, I really was getting push emails two days ago on my 5S. Non-updated apps look like garbage and make me angry. I've hit a couple of weird bugs that disappear with restart, but maybe those would have presented on my old phone too. 128GB of storage is probably overkill but totally rad. The curved edges feel really nice when swiping left and right; I like that a lot. The camera takes great pictures and I love the new slo-mo video. The 6 is probably 2/10 of an inch too big and the 6+ made me actually angry when I held/tried to hold it in the store. I like the big display for pictures and a handful of websites, but it doesn't change my Twitter game and I'm using the reachability shortcut a lot. The iPhone 4 was a museum-quality piece of art and these phones are nowhere near the same caliber of design. Are you really still reading this? Sorry. I'm giving the thing another week before selling it for a new 5S.

I feel a little better now.

I'm actually interested in your weekly report, seeing as I'm about the same level of aspergian insufferability. Your concerns seem to be exactly like mine, and I'm in loving love with my current 5S (which I liked from the moment I saw it and held it). Interested to know if you'll still sell it in a week.

I always thought the sweet spot was going to be 4.5 and killing the bezels on top or something, but Apple probably would never allow the phone front face to be asymmetrical

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
That could be a bar trick. Ask super sexy smokin' ladies to bend your phone, then you do it like it's pound cake.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

A tomato posted:

And Gmail app hasn't even been updated for the new sizes. Stretched apps are bad. Email's a core phone function. Stop settling people you are all beautiful you all deserve better

Pretty much all major apps will get updated eventually? The world isn't ending.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

That could be a bar trick. Ask super sexy smokin' ladies to bend your phone, then you do it like it's pound cake.

Why would an Apple user be interested in sexy ladies? Or ladies, at all, lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Nah, consumer reports uses a 3 point bend test. Apparently, a 4 point bend test (which is basically what you do when you try to bend the phone with your hands) does a better job revealing weak points on the phone.

Another bending vid show the 4 point load:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58g-sMrkys

Explained more here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8375841

Yeah they should do more 4 point bend tests to demonstrate that the new iPhone can't stand up to a man intentionally trying to break his phone, which is shameful. This relates to the phone bending when you put it in gym shorts because

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The iPhone Thread: I'm about the same level of aspergian insufferability

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Yeah they should do more 4 point bend tests to demonstrate that the new iPhone can't stand up to a man intentionally trying to break his phone, which is shameful. This relates to the phone bending when you put it in gym shorts because

Because a 3 point bend test puts the stress on a very small focal point whereas a 4 point bend test does not. When you put your 6+ in tight jeans and it bends in your pocket, it's not a 3 point bend, the stress is applied across a larger section of the phone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've got a large focal point in tight jeans for you

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I don't know, that video really shows it cracking open like some chocolate bar

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
This whole thing is a big troll on people still waiting for their new phones and having to watch videos of people just breaking the poo poo out of them for no reason.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Does iCloud sync video between devices? I have photostream and the Photo Library beta turned on. I'm on a PC with the latest iCloud software (so I have iCloud drive). It doesn't look like videos are automatically synced anywhere that I can see.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Trip report: They didn't care about the dings/dents/removed material along the material band and said that wouldn't have caused the signal issues I was seeing (?), but they did confirm that the power/sleep/lock button was suffering the recent issue, and gave me a replacement. I was expecting to have to pay $49 but they didn't charge me anything (guessing because of the button issue?), so hey, a new/refurb phone at $0 cost that I can potentially sell for $250-300 sounds good to me.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

spunkshui posted:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

Consumer reports tested bendgazi out. I will now stop treating my phone like its a single stick of gum.

Told you they would.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

A three-point bending test isn't the right test. It basically only tests the point beneath the center point.

A four-point bending test tests every point between the two center points, in case the weak spot isn't exactly at the center of the thing.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

SourKraut posted:

Trip report: They didn't care about the dings/dents/removed material along the material band and said that wouldn't have caused the signal issues I was seeing (?), but they did confirm that the power/sleep/lock button was suffering the recent issue, and gave me a replacement. I was expecting to have to pay $49 but they didn't charge me anything (guessing because of the button issue?), so hey, a new/refurb phone at $0 cost that I can potentially sell for $250-300 sounds good to me.

My 5 is eligible for the power/sleep/lock button fix as well. My 7yo is getting it for Christmas sans SIM card, and it's be great to give him a brand new one instead. Thanks for the update!

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
if i can distroy my device with a non-ex shoryuken it is NOT fit for every day usuage

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I started a change.org petition for an updated ASTM standard D790 4-point bending test that more accurately simulates my athletic quads in 21 oz denim.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Seeing how I only wear pants so tight you can read the expiration date of my balls through them I simply don't under stand how you can put your phone in your back pocket and not realize it's there.

Otter box holster 4 life.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think girls put their phones in their back pocket because they only make 70% of what men make, but also because their front pockets are incredibly small.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Should I be installing 8.0.2 or is this the one that ruins my phone and my life sorry if I missed this discussion already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Queen Elizatits posted:

Should I be installing 8.0.2 or is this the one that ruins my phone and my life sorry if I missed this discussion already.

8.0 ruined my life entirely and 8.0.2 didn't make it any better.