Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Only one thing to do now: sick burnouts :roadkill:.

(I see now that that is a front wheel)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

StormDrain posted:

(I see now that that is a front wheel)

I think it's a trailer? It's an ST tire.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'd go get the gun

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
real narrow, real short leaf springs and no sign of steering equipment or a differential. Small axle tubes. It's probably a trailer, I'd stick a nail through a 2x4 and poke it from 8 feet away (wearing earplugs) then replace it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Never having dealt with a blistering tire, is there a reason you don't just deflate the tire at the valve?

I mean if one is willing to get close enough to take smartphone pictures of a bomb that could go off at any second, why not defuse it in a non-violent manner?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Whats the fun in that?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

xzzy posted:

why not defuse it in a non-violent manner?

I'm not following you here...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I assume the tire is still attached to something that people place value in.

If it was a bulging tire alone in the middle of a field, sure, shoot it and hoot at the destruction. But if it's attached to a car or sitting in a garage with equipment all over the place, I wouldn't want to be unleashing a high pressure burst. Though the air will escape in a more or less straight line from the hole, it's still a chaotic event and who knows what's going to get caught up in it.

Though it should be noted I'm a middle aged dude who's had "safety first" beat into his head for close to two decades. It's impossible for me to not think of this stuff. :smith:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

xzzy posted:

Well I assume the tire is still attached to something that people place value in.

If it was a bulging tire alone in the middle of a field, sure, shoot it and hoot at the destruction. But if it's attached to a car or sitting in a garage with equipment all over the place, I wouldn't want to be unleashing a high pressure burst. Though the air will escape in a more or less straight line from the hole, it's still a chaotic event and who knows what's going to get caught up in it.

Though it should be noted I'm a middle aged dude who's had "safety first" beat into his head for close to two decades. It's impossible for me to not think of this stuff. :smith:

It's just a trailer.

Get the gun Cletus.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I'm no expert but I wouldn't want to mess with the delicate balance of pressure and structural integrity in any way other than "stand far away and make it all go away"

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Make sure you let your neighbors know what pure doing with the tire. My S-10 years ago got a bulge that I didn't know about and after parking it I guess my sudden weight shift of getting out must have popped it. The noise was incredible and the police came by (the department was down the road) thinking I shot a gun off.

What I'm saying is shoot it with a gun and then if the cops ask say it was the tire popping.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

What I'm saying is shoot it with a gun and then if the cops ask say it was the tire popping.

This, this is sage advice.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Am I the only one who doesn't notice any threat from these tire blisters? If the tire is stable and stationary, it's doubtful that the rubber will rupture, especially if the pressure is released from the valve (infact, the bulge would be the first thing to deflate). Even if it does burst, the tyre itself will not blow out, so provided you're not within the bulges diameter, you're not even at risk of being hit by the flapping rubber.

Maybe I should start a side business, charging $50 "hazard pay" to deflate these tires for people.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't notice any threat from these tire blisters? If the tire is stable and stationary, it's doubtful that the rubber will rupture, especially if the pressure is released from the valve (infact, the bulge would be the first thing to deflate). Even if it does burst, the tyre itself will not blow out, so provided you're not within the bulges diameter, you're not even at risk of being hit by the flapping rubber.

Maybe I should start a side business, charging $50 "hazard pay" to deflate these tires for people.

It is likely pretty safe to deflate, especially with all of the damage pointed away from the nozzle, but all I can think of when I see that is the gif of that Chinese guy who slashes a truck tire and it blows him off his feet, his shirt off and the knife across his forearm

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The biggest thing for me with that set of photos is the slow reveal of the extensive wear marks in the blister.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Responses from the guy who took the pictures:

Devon Duguay Justin that's weird.. Mine is also on a 6 lug trailer tire lol

Devon Duguay Unfortunately we need the tire to last at least the day

Devon Duguay It actually started yesterday on way to job I could see it

Devon Duguay 2-3 min after I poked it

Guy is one brave (or stupid) motherfucker. Based on his previous post history, I'm going with the latter.

e: unfucked images

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 26, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Responses from the guy who took the pictures:

Devon Duguay Justin that's weird.. Mine is also on a 6 lug trailer tire lol

Devon Duguay Unfortunately we need the tire to last at least the day

Devon Duguay It actually started yesterday on way to job I could see it

Devon Duguay 2-3 min after I poked it

Guy is one brave (or stupid) motherfucker. Based on his previous post history, I'm going with the latter.

"and my left ear is still kind of ringing for some reason, weird, huh? :shrug:"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

2-3 min after I poked it

(and regained consciousness)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQILaGAP_R0

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Make sure you let your neighbors know what pure doing with the tire. My S-10 years ago got a bulge that I didn't know about and after parking it I guess my sudden weight shift of getting out must have popped it. The noise was incredible and the police came by (the department was down the road) thinking I shot a gun off.

I was riding my bicycle once with a worn out old tire. Right as I passed some teenager on a BMX bike the tube slipped out and exploded which isn't probably as loud as a care tire, but it's still loving loud. Poor kid got off his bike and started walking because he thought his tire blew up.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've heard dirt bike tubes blow up due to overinflation, and it sounds like a goddamn 12 gauge going off, it's amazing how loud it is.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've heard dirt bike tubes blow up due to overinflation, and it sounds like a goddamn 12 gauge going off, it's amazing how loud it is.

I did the same thing as a kid with one of these:

I used a car air compressor to blow it up and it was taking forever so I left planning to come back and check on it. Well, I forgot. 5-10 minutes later is sounded like someone shot a gun in the driveway. I was amazed something like that could be so loud when it blew up.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

We used to drill holes in 1 liter soda bottle caps so we could install valve stems and blow up bottles.
I even made a special remote filler with pressure gauge so we could see which bottles are toughest (The Dew won out). Those make some incredible noise when they let go at over 8bar.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Plinkey posted:

I did the same thing as a kid with one of these:

I used a car air compressor to blow it up and it was taking forever so I left planning to come back and check on it. Well, I forgot. 5-10 minutes later is sounded like someone shot a gun in the driveway. I was amazed something like that could be so loud when it blew up.

Ha, ha ha.

I forgot to take a steel scuba tank off of the giant compressor we used to fill the main tanks at the dive shop I used to work at. I think steel tanks were rated to like 2600 or so PSI, with a burst disk in the valve for 2600 to 2800 or so. Newer, thicker aluminum tanks are filled to 3000 max, maybe 3200 or so if it's a super 100. We had 5 huge welding tanks with two enormous steel tanks outside that were old sub ballast reservoirs. Well, we hadn't run the compressor all day so pressure in those tanks averaged a bit north of 3300. Not so bad when it all equals out if you had a new aluminum tank on there, but someone else put an 3200 PSI burst disk in the valve for that steel tank.

The next day the owner of the shop came up to me and said "hey you left that old rear end tank hooked up to the line. When i took it off it had 3150 PSI in it."

It could have killed people. Thank god it didn't.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Melted Tarp posted:

I believe he is the guy who was internet famous for awhile for letting teens drive cars and trucks like crazy people on his property. The cops tried telling him to gently caress off, which he ignored. Then, evidence surfaced that he was having sexual contact with some of the young teen girls that came along. Classy dude.

Girls always want dudes who have nice cars.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Some of these fixes are incredible. The ball joint restoration is just :psyduck:

Yeah holy poo poo, especially with a lower. I liked the whole jacking the roof back into shape on the chevy, gives it character.

I'm not sure what you'd call this, a reverse burn out? Who the gently caress does burn outs in a Tahoe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7NW-OdxmSU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Huggable Bear King posted:

Who the gently caress does burn outs in a Tahoe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7NW-OdxmSU

Not that guy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've known about this video for years and I started laughing as soon as the title loaded. I love that exploding basketball so much :allears:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

The next day the owner of the shop came up to me and said "hey you left that old rear end tank hooked up to the line. When i took it off it had 3150 PSI in it."

It could have killed people. Thank god it didn't.
A tank bursting is one of my greatest fears when I'm on a dive trip, especially if you're on a boat in the red sea or mediterranean where people have a rather lax attitude towards safety measures. On my last trip in the red sea we had a couple of 80l 200bar O2 tanks for mixing, and one of the shiphands would stand and smoke next to them. :stonk:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Father in law had a 60 gallon air compressor tank burst in his shop. Went through the roof like a Saturn V rocket and according to the neighbour, a fairly high distance into the air before cratering into the earth. Apparently it sounded like dynamite going off.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
How old was it?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I'm guessing that it had lots of rusty water in the bottom so it made one hell of a bottle rocket.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Collateral Damage posted:

A tank bursting is one of my greatest fears when I'm on a dive trip, especially if you're on a boat in the red sea or mediterranean where people have a rather lax attitude towards safety measures. On my last trip in the red sea we had a couple of 80l 200bar O2 tanks for mixing, and one of the shiphands would stand and smoke next to them. :stonk:
I saw a How It's Made on scuba tanks recently, it blew my mind that the whole thing is made from a solid piece of extruded aluminum.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

8ender posted:

Father in law had a 60 gallon air compressor tank burst in his shop. Went through the roof like a Saturn V rocket and according to the neighbour, a fairly high distance into the air before cratering into the earth. Apparently it sounded like dynamite going off.

I've started to see a few more posts around the webs talking about this sort of thing and I have to say its making me thinking twice about this old compressor I picked up off the side of the road a few years ago. Suffered some past damage in a few areas and while it was free and worked... gently caress I don't want it exploding my garage if and when it ever goes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

revmoo posted:

How old was it?

This was back in the eighties and I think it was like 20 years old then. He did purge the water regularity but yeah, it was ready to pop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8ender posted:

The mythbusters where they did this with water heaters is probably one of their best episodes. It's loving incredible how high those things go.

Makes me terrified of pressurized anything. :ohdear:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
A couple from today.
"MY car stopped running while on the highway. " (04 VW Golf 2.0)

"I think I need a battery" (Toyota Matrix)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I saw a How It's Made on scuba tanks recently, it blew my mind that the whole thing is made from a solid piece of extruded aluminum.

Deep drawing is a hell of a thing.

xzzy posted:

The mythbusters where they did this with water heaters is probably one of their best episodes. It's loving incredible how high those things go.

Makes me terrified of pressurized anything. :ohdear:

What always fascinates me is that it's not the pressure itself that causes the danger, but the compression. A scuba tank being filled with air at 3000psi is a bomb ready to go off. A scuba tank being filled with water at 3000 psi is no big deal if it springs a leak. Doesn't make logical sense but there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Deep drawing is a hell of a thing.

What always fascinates me is that it's not the pressure itself that causes the danger, but the compression. A scuba tank being filled with air at 3000psi is a bomb ready to go off. A scuba tank being filled with water at 3000 psi is no big deal if it springs a leak. Doesn't make logical sense but there it is.

When you think about it in terms of energy storage it's not that surprising. Because water is so incompressible, it doesn't take very much energy at all to build pressure. If it's air, you're pumping a lot of energy into it to cram a whole bunch of volumes into one volume.