Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

WarLocke posted:

^^^: They increased reticle shake and added falling damage to legs (so you need to reserve some jump juice for the landing or you'll leg yourself after a bit). I've seen a couple people poptart but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

It's supposed to give you more movement with the arm (not sure if it actually works because :pgi:) but mostly it's there for critical padding; if I somehow lose the armor there but the arm isn't totally blown off it's one more slot that can roll a crit before the ECM/AMS/ERML, hopefully.

The Prime variant is the one with hands, and you can move your arms from side to side and up and down with it. The other variants don't, and you can only move your arms up and down.

Not sure if those details are relevant, though. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Does that extra movement relate to having lower arm actuators as well?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

OB_Juan posted:

Does that extra movement relate to having lower arm actuators as well?

Yeah, side to side arm movement is tied to lower arm actuators. If you have none you're restricted to up/down movement. If you have one lower arm actuator then you can aim left and right but they've generally tagged those mechs with a really restrictive arm movement range.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Looked up the MechCommander OST for nostalgia and this little gem popped up on the sidebar:

Hello nostalgia/if only priapism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDrIwd_-Iw

Edit: No matter what I do it'll only link rather than embed so fuckit click buttons.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 27, 2014

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I once had an Atlas spend its last AC/20 and SRM ammo wrecking an enemy 'mech, proceed to loot a leg off its corpse, and beat in his buddy's cockpit with the leg. Kind of makes me wish you could pull off poo poo like that in MWO. Hell, close combat attacks would give IS mechs a bit of a legup, most Clan pilots are poo poo at close combat so the 'mechs usually aren't designed for it.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
It would give the Charger a reason to be in the running, especially with a high engine limit and quirks to buff melee damage.

Ah, well. We'll probably see the heat death of the universe before that comes to pass. :(

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Vorenus posted:

Looked up the MechCommander OST for nostalgia and this little gem popped up on the sidebar:

Hello nostalgia/if only priapism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDrIwd_-Iw

Edit: No matter what I do it'll only link rather than embed so fuckit click buttons.

This is unironically amazing. I can't tell if that was done with a camera hack in MWO, some of the mech movements (and the weapons fire) don't feel like they're straight from MWO. But the video is great, and that music... :allears:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pooncha posted:

It would give the Charger a reason to be in the running, especially with a high engine limit and quirks to buff melee damage.

Ah, well. We'll probably see the heat death of the universe before that comes to pass. :(

RIP knockdowns :(

http://youtu.be/4K2QF70H2hc

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Even though it was a buggy mess (collisions in MW:O), modifying the charge properties of mechs would have been another balance lever. Hello Dragon with a 100 ton bowling weight.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That's pretty much what the Dragon was good for: a 60 ton mech pretending to be a light, except you could tackle the poo poo out of large mechs, defusing a Gaussapult who got too close for comfort for example.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Usually lance or solo challenges cause a higher percentage of people to bring LRMs in order to secure assists and extra point through TAG/Narc/Spotting. I would bring an AMS until tuesday.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
They could probably circumvent the shoddy collision code if they bothered to put some hacks in place. Just put in an invisible box with Speed/Weight > Enemy = Knocks over enemy, then fashion animations for falling over and laying on the floor instead of using physics ragdoll.

It might not be the prettiest thing, but its way better than a Metal Baby somehow blocking Atlas movement.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Thor-Stryker posted:

They could probably circumvent the shoddy collision code if they bothered to put some hacks in place. Just put in an invisible box with Speed/Weight > Enemy = Knocks over enemy, then fashion animations for falling over and laying on the floor instead of using physics ragdoll.

It might not be the prettiest thing, but its way better than a Metal Baby somehow blocking Atlas movement.

That's exactly what CB collisions were, and they were still a mess.

It also meant that somehow Jenners could still knock over my Awesomes.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

aniviron posted:

This is pretty close to the board game, but yeah, not having the dice be random makes it a bit stupid to watch. I just want to see a mechwarrior game with phyisical attacks and set in pre clan era and and... :smith:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm not sure this is a good idea simply because of how small some of the maps are with 24 mechs in them. I regularly have to play mosh pit with my own team of pubbie idiots.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Frozen city was literally hell for light mechs back in the collision eras and I'm sure any other urban map would be as well, and this was back when there were just 16 people milling around two city blocks full of blind corners and narrow streets. There were some cool things about the mechanic and I would be happy to see physicals in the game but if it's done poorly it's just one more reason to never not weigh 100 tons.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

aniviron posted:

I'm like 90% sure that CB collisions were the bounding boxes hitting each other and then ragdolling and physics being switched on as a result of the collision. Mostly because if you knocked a mech down next to a lamp post or other object that mechs didn't normally interact with, the lamp post would fall down if the mech fell on it.

Fun as dragon bowling was though, turning collisions off was probably the best move until they sorted out the warping problems associated with it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Hahaha a Kit Fox with ECM/AMS/cLRM20 hanging back and bubbling other lurmboats while an ECM Raven goes forward and NARCs/TAGs targets is borderline broken. :unsmigghh:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Reinstalling gently caress you all for making me do this :shepicide:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Voyager I posted:

reinstall: realize you bought the raven as a founder pack. uninstall, cry.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Axe-man posted:

reinstall: realize you bought the raven as a founder pack. uninstall, cry.

You mean the Jenner?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Hahaha teamwork is borderline broken. :unsmigghh:

Let me fix that for you.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Voyager I posted:

Player retained. :smug:

e: I know this is probably placebo speaking, but the talk about a 'winner's bracket' you get thrown into after getting too many wins in a row is hard to disregard. The lance I was just in won 5-6 matches back to back and then the next 3 we were just completely rolled. Confirmation bias or not, it's frustrating.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I spent $240 on Clan Mechs. Please kill me.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Stanley Pain posted:

Your personal hell is knowing that CW will break your clan mechs in some way. Just wait. :patriot:

It will never happen

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

WarLocke posted:

Hahaha a Kit Fox with ECM/AMS/cLRM20 hanging back and bubbling other lurmboats while an ECM Raven goes forward and NARCs/TAGs targets is borderline broken. :unsmigghh:

Yeah we just did that and it is quite effective. Until you run into 12-mans that are fully aware of Lurm Weekend. :shepface:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Axe-man posted:

Your personal hell is knowing that CW will break your clan mechs in some way. Just wait. :patriot:

It will never happen

At this point I'm all for Paying 2 Win.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

I'm like 90% sure that CB collisions were the bounding boxes hitting each other and then ragdolling and physics being switched on as a result of the collision. Mostly because if you knocked a mech down next to a lamp post or other object that mechs didn't normally interact with, the lamp post would fall down if the mech fell on it.

Fun as dragon bowling was though, turning collisions off was probably the best move until they sorted out the warping problems associated with it.

Yeah, this is exactly how I remember it. The big issue was the ragdolls weren't syncing properly so shooting a mech that was falling/sliding would be random at best, it became really weird when two mechs would fall on each other and the arms and legs would go flying or having to roll all the way down a hill before the mech would get up.
Edit: Wasn't there an issue with Atlas ragdolls and server crashing?

The idea of an invisible bounding box that determines all that information would simplify the process. Then putting in standard fall, laying, and standing up animations that aren't ragdoll so it's no different than current gameplay animations for robots.

Tripping suck for lights, the skill-ceiling was massive because lights had the risk of tripping on each other or running into an assault's legs. But boy was it fun using the Jenner to fly into big robit faces and tipping them over like a cow.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

You're pretty much a gigantic loving idiot, and the only robot left that is pay 2 win is the timberwolf (until November). Congrats, I guess?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Drewjitsu posted:

You're pretty much a gigantic loving idiot, and the only robot left that is pay 2 win is the timberwolf (until November). Congrats, I guess?

36 cSRM Vultures can be pretty nasty too, and I'd consider them 'pay to win' right now, considering they cost $360.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Honestly, the times that I do play MWO, I really just use the stock newbie mechs, because why bother. I have like 6 million cbills, but gently caress it. Going to save until I have too. I see no real reason to really care unless you gotta win and all I do is pub :shepface:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Trip report: UI 2.0 is loving hilarious.

EDIT: 12v12 is godawful and the new maps I saw still degrade into both team funneling through tiny chokepoints only now with 50% more bullshit standing on either end, holy gently caress Paul you really have the Midas touch.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 28, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thanks Anders! Don't go killing yourself, buddy.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Voyager I posted:

Trip report: UI 2.0 is loving hilarious.

It's hard to believe this took so long to make and is somehow harder to navigate and decipher information from. It's seriously atrocious.

then again so is the fact that I, too, reinstalled :unsmigghh:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wish that you only needed one copy of each module, so I don't need to spend 5 minutes navigating menus and looking at the spinning circle whenever I wanted to switch mechs. They already cost however many thousands of GXP and millions of CBills, they should just be unlocked at that point.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Especially since modules are so ludicrously expensive that I can't imagine anyone has caved and bought duplicates so all it does is make the game more annoying to play without turning into a C-Bill sink beyond the initial purchase. If they were, like a few hundred thousand I could maybe imagine some people buying extras for their favorites just to not have to gently caress around but if PGI thinks people are going to drop like 15 mil or whatever per mech then they are beyond retarded (but I repeat myself).

Seriously though 12v12 is awful.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Been trying different setups on my Kit Fox, and the one that seems to perform best for me is the Dakkafox. cUAC/5 actually puts out surprisingly decent damage, although if you want more you can strip the AMS and ammo for another cERML and maybe another half ton of dakka ammo.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Voyager I posted:

EDIT: 12v12 is godawful and the new maps I saw still degrade into both team funneling through tiny chokepoints only now with 50% more bullshit standing on either end, holy gently caress Paul you really have the Midas touch.

You see why I don't bother buying mechs, pubbin is terrible in MWO. Honestly it feels not worth spending a money unless the matches mean something.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Voyager I posted:

Seriously though 12v12 is awful.

I prefer 12 vs 12. Only after getting used to it and understanding I couldn't play like I used to. Positioning is much more important now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drewjitsu posted:

You sound kind of mad mate. Let it out man, let it out. You should ask me how much I spent on Infinity Wars.

• Locked thread