Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Bucket Joneses posted:

Yea 787-9 power systems testing. We were ramping up for some new work but then all the budgets got cut for the rest of the year and layoff notices started coming out.

It sucks because this is literally the worst time to look for a job. No one hires until January unless you want to work poo poo retail.

That stinks badly, you have my sympathy. My family that was in the company retired recently, so I'm not as connected to the news about it, is this getting any local press or are we pretending that 8 billion parachute we gave Boeing to keep jobs in the state wasn't worth anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

RuanGacho posted:

That stinks badly, you have my sympathy. My family that was in the company retired recently, so I'm not as connected to the news about it, is this getting any local press or are we pretending that 8 billion parachute we gave Boeing to keep jobs in the state wasn't worth anything?

I don't know how relevant my job loss is to the $8 billion tax break they got. That was mostly to ensure manufacturing jobs stayed in the state but I work in Test & Evaluation.

Boeing is definitely getting out of the Puget Sound area for testing. They already decimated the Research & Technology group in my building and moved all their jobs to California.

They want to move any job they can to a non-union job market where they can offer less and demand more.

The number I was told is "500". By the end of the year, 500 Boeing Test & Evaluation (or maybe it's all of EO&T?) jobs will be permanently cut.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Bucket Joneses posted:

I don't know how relevant my job loss is to the $8 billion tax break they got. That was mostly to ensure manufacturing jobs stayed in the state but I work in Test & Evaluation.

Boeing is definitely getting out of the Puget Sound area for testing. They already decimated the Research & Technology group in my building and moved all their jobs to California.

They want to move any job they can to a non-union job market where they can offer less and demand more.

The number I was told is "500". By the end of the year, 500 Boeing Test & Evaluation (or maybe it's all of EO&T?) jobs will be permanently cut.

I find it relevant because it's a lump sum that goes directly to their financial reports, and I suspect your job is better paying than the average manufacturing job. I'm a bit of a zealot against corporations I admit but I was taught this behavior by none other than growing up with Boeing doing scummy poo poo to its work force.
It really kind of defeats the purpose of "saving" the jobs that the 8 billion supposedly bribes if they cut everything else/ship it out of state. All their "knowledge workers" have this going on, but I don't much care for that term as it implies the people not sitting at desks and in meetings don't know things that are unique and marketable.

It's basically Boeing playing both sides, they get their ridiculous corporate welfare and they get to eliminate their more expensive work force at the same time.

Way to go "liberal" Washington State. :rolleyes:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

RuanGacho posted:

Boeing is pretty much WhyMBAsarebad.txt

See also Microsoft, and I would wager Amazon too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
From what I've heard Boeing's shittiness goes beyond the usual MBA myopia and into straight-up spite at times.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The spite is specifically aimed at the unionized employees. They even recently revised the internal software that we use for job searching so that it's significantly harder to see what kind of jobs are available; under the guise of allowing better management supervision of hiring.

I dunno, even after so many years here I'm amazed that this company can hire so many stupid people, make so many poor decisions and yet it's never been more profitable.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

From what I've heard Boeing's shittiness goes beyond the usual MBA myopia and into straight-up spite at times.

Business education is shifting into valuing long term growth and fostering employee trust. Boeing is basically a case study in action.

And yeah all the Boeing engineers I talk to have me extremely concerned.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BraveUlysses posted:

The spite is specifically aimed at the unionized employees. They even recently revised the internal software that we use for job searching so that it's significantly harder to see what kind of jobs are available; under the guise of allowing better management supervision of hiring.

I dunno, even after so many years here I'm amazed that this company can hire so many stupid people, make so many poor decisions and yet it's never been more profitable.

Yeah the new job search system is so so loving bad. They outsourced it to Taleo which is what a lot of corps use for job searching... only it doesn't quite work at Boeing because of all of the Skill Management Code information that needs to be included but simply isn't included.

Using the old system, the job req would list out all of the required "competencies" and you could tailor your resume to satisfy the job description by expanding out each competency and looking at exactly what the job is.

In the new system, it's a literally two paragraphs about the job and that's it. Good luck with that!

The truth is, there's really no incentive to even try to stay here if this is how I'm going to be treated. Since I just got hired in, I'm always at the bottom of the layoff totem pole so I'm constantly in fear of losing my job regardless of how well I perform. No thanks, guys. You can gently caress right off.

I guess I'm just glad I've only been here a few years and I don't have to worry too much about my resume being stagnant. I really feel for the older folks who have been here longer than me who are getting canned.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Solkanar512 posted:

I can also see that it would be easy to leverage lower prices in exchange for efficiency improvements or shifts to off peak usage are easier to get done with a few large customers than a bunch of tiny but numerous homes. I don't know enough to say that this is happening here, but I know it's done for traffic reasons. That's why Boeing starts first shift around 5-5:30am instead of a more typical 7-8am.

Just wanted to mention that the reason Boeing starts first shift early in the morning is because if they didn't second shift wouldn't leave until 3 at night. Which would be super uncommon in any manufacturing plant I've ever heard of or been in. A study (from 85 admittedly) if you're interested.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Peztopiary posted:

Just wanted to mention that the reason Boeing starts first shift early in the morning is because if they didn't second shift wouldn't leave until 3 at night. Which would be super uncommon in any manufacturing plant I've ever heard of or been in. A study (from 85 admittedly) if you're interested.

I like how the "6 AM start time" thing is leveraged by IAM to make the labs utterly useless. The machinists all show up and start at 6:00AM sharp and they leave promptly at 2:30PM regardless of what's going on.

Meanwhile, all of the SPEEA engineers seem to roll in at 9:00AM and leave at 6:00PM. Nothing productive happens here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
One of our US Reps in Oregon is "very, very angry" at Dawson's Creek.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Peztopiary posted:

Thanks for the clarification, I was always told it was because of traffic issues. And yeah, given the crazy amount of mandatory OT I see the folks on the floor working, I can totally see that. I'm with the 787, and yeah things are rather special.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

mod sassinator posted:

I would wager Amazon too.
Speaking of...

The price of Amazon's success is worker exploitation, the destruction of local enterprise and the creation of a corporate oligarch.
http://www.alternet.org/corporate-accountability-and-workplace/4-ways-amazons-ruthless-practices-are-crushing-local

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Im leaving Boeing next week and it feels great. Screw the stress and long hours, the moneys not worth it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

bird cooch posted:

Im leaving Boeing next week and it feels great. Screw the stress and long hours, the moneys not worth it.

Everyone I know 30 or under feels the same way at this point. Its not just the TSA that makes me not want to fly anymore. Any more brain draining going on and it will just be people who can't read english engineering designs being supported by double outsourced IT (dell then India) being given stack ratings by MBAs of 30 years who can't understand why their planes keep falling out of the sky.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
http://youtu.be/8S881grl-ig

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

With a headline like this, I wonder if CNN is covering this impartially?
http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/24/news/economy/seattle-marxist-minimum-wage/
Edit: read article, not too bad, headline still hilarious.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 27, 2014

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

bird cooch posted:

Actually, if ya'll could just seize Boeing for the workers, that would be great, thanks.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
^^ Do this please.

Error 404 posted:

With a headline like this, I wonder if CNN is covering this impartially?
http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/24/news/economy/seattle-marxist-minimum-wage/
Edit: read article, not too bad, headline still hilarious.

Not bad, could have been worse.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Actually, if ya'll could just seize Boeing for the workers, that would be great, thanks.

Heres a how-to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sug7bWxTuSo

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Just read this entire thread, escaping to Bainbridge Island next week after spending 33 years in Dallas, Texas. I need a quick crash course in the differences between Dallas and Seattle (aside from "everything"). Pretty up to date on politics now, and also scared as gently caress to fly! What else do I need to know?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quantum Finger posted:

Just read this entire thread, escaping to Bainbridge Island next week after spending 33 years in Dallas, Texas. I need a quick crash course in the differences between Dallas and Seattle (aside from "everything"). Pretty up to date on politics now, and also scared as gently caress to fly! What else do I need to know?
When water fall on you its called "rain" and its perfectly safe!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

FRINGE posted:

:ohdear: if you say so...

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Quantum Finger posted:

:ohdear: if you say so...

Also this rain isn't some kind of constant downpour as portrayed in the media. It's basically one level up from mist and sticks around for months.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

FRINGE posted:

When this so called "rain" hits Seattle drivers be prepared to run for your life.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Quantum Finger posted:

People will all be friendly. They won't want to be your friend.
Traffic is generally bad, and occasionally horrible.
If you complain about the rain, people will make fun of you.
Honking is the rough equivalent of brandishing a gun.
If you like football, and bandwagon the Seahawks, everyone will be nice to you(except Sounders fans). If you are a 49ers fan, you will get lots of poo poo. Don't mention basketball.
When it comes to real estate, double the price of everything you are used to. At least.

About Bainbridge, it's only accessible to Seattle by about 50 miles driving or the ferry system. I have lived here all my life and never been there. I hear it is nice though.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Beware Google Maps can tell you to take the ferries, we sort of accidentally ended up in Bainbridge on our way to Olympia NP last year. It was fun but there was a lot more waiting involved than I would have imagined.

You could very well be the first to wear Mexican Pointy Boots in Seattle if you're lucky?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Mrit posted:

People will all be friendly. They won't want to be your friend.
To expand on this: people are nice here, but they're not friendly in the way you're used to. Many people here (and I include myself in this, although I'm not a native) find it uncomfortable to make small talk with strangers about the weather or sports or whatever. My theory is that it's some combination of historical Scandinavian stoicism and socially awkward tech types moving here.

Anecdotally, this is what I hear people from the South and Midwest complain about the most when they come here.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

sadus posted:

You could very well be the first to wear Mexican Pointy Boots in Seattle if you're lucky?

No chance. Not sure how I remember this, but I've seen them on a busker at Pike's Place.

EDIT: Yeah, people here are big on urban anonymity.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

To expand on this: people are nice here, but they're not friendly in the way you're used to. Many people here (and I include myself in this, although I'm not a native) find it uncomfortable to make small talk with strangers about the weather or sports or whatever. My theory is that it's some combination of historical Scandinavian stoicism and socially awkward tech types moving here.

Anecdotally, this is what I hear people from the South and Midwest complain about the most when they come here.

Yes, you will probably develop a "crew" to hit shows and/or bars, or whatever your thing is before too long, but you probably won't know too much (real poo poo) about these people beyond a last name and a phone number (if that).

(assuming you're young and single) If you ever see the inside of someone's home and you're not loving, or family, than you're about to be either loving or (as close as) family.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Boeing, it appears the Everett plant is experiencing massive amounts of lost time because they didn't plan their expansion at all and thought it was okay to remove half the parking spots while only moving a few thousand people to different locations. It sounds like the workers are going to riot over that poo poo.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

sadus posted:

Beware Google Maps
Google Maps is less trustworthy in Seattle than anywhere else I have ever used it.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

FRINGE posted:

Carrying an umbrella is like carrying a sign saying "I don't belong here."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

oxbrain posted:

I dont know, downtown Seattle is full of them with people having them pressed down on their head so the tines are at eye level and the umbrella-people cant see/dont care that they are blindly walking around with metal spines coming at your face.

They also walk with their umbrellas under the awnings just to be more obnoxious.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mrit posted:

Honking is the rough equivalent of brandishing a gun.

Jeez don't tell him that he said he was from Texas.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

sadus posted:

Beware Google Maps can tell you to take the ferries, we sort of accidentally ended up in Bainbridge on our way to Olympia NP last year. It was fun but there was a lot more waiting involved than I would have imagined.

At the very least, it will warn you that ferries are involved and give you alternate routes that avoid them.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Also the endless parade of medical marijuana shops and ads will seem weird I bet (since youre coming from TX).

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

FRINGE posted:

I dont know, downtown Seattle is full of them with people having them pressed down on their head so the tines are at eye level and the umbrella-people cant see/dont care that they are blindly walking around with metal spines coming at your face.

They also walk with their umbrellas under the awnings just to be more obnoxious.

oxbrain posted:

Seattle is full of people who don't belong. :stare:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

reignonyourparade posted:

Jeez don't tell him that he said he was from Texas.

So I should honk to say hi? I'm so confused. Maybe I should just fire a warning shot, as a compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of Boeing, it appears the Everett plant is experiencing massive amounts of lost time because they didn't plan their expansion at all and thought it was okay to remove half the parking spots while only moving a few thousand people to different locations. It sounds like the workers are going to riot over that poo poo.

Holy loving poo poo, don't even get me started on that mess. There are technically enough spots, but you have to take a shuttle in if you happen to come in late. They blame some 1991 environmental impact study for limiting the number of parking spots, but if they can get 9B from the state, they could get permission to build another parking tower.

Also, I wouldn't have a problem flying on anything we make.

• Locked thread