Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Since Destiny came out PSN has been completely broken for me. I cannot view notifications, invites, friends, or friend requests. If I search for someone on PSN to add as a friend it doesn't work. Say, for example, their name is Bobthebuilder. I'll start typing his name out and PSN will find users as I am still filling it out. So it finds Bob, Bobt, Bobtheb and Bobthebuild. But the moment I finish typing in "Bobthebuilder" it just can't find that person. At one point I managed to get into party chat with someone I was trying to join, but I couldn't load his profile to join his game. I used to just have to pull out my phone and use the PSN app (which I shouldn't have to), but now that's acting up as well. Sent friend requests aren't received either way and it doesn't really display all the friend requests or notifications I have.

It's just really frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

goferchan posted:

Doesn't seem bad at first glance, same usual unlock progression as a CoD game or whatever except you can pay real money to speed it up. I guess you'd need to hear from someone to sunk the hours in as to whether it's a huge grind without paying money or not, but if it's balanced around unlocking stuff at a reasonable rate through normal play I don't really take offense. Speaking of which, am I reading things wrong or in The Last of Us are there multiplayer skills that can ONLY be unlocked through micro transactions? Because if so that's waaaay worse, to me...

There are a couple. Nothing game changing. The only one that really makes a difference and I would recommend buying is a skill that whenever you successfully shoot someone, it marks them. It's like 99 cents. Everything else is like cosmetic or guns that are locked off to the pre-made classes. Kind of annoying but again, not that expensive to just buy the pack. Seeing as they released a bunch of free maps and poo poo, I can't complain.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What are you supposed to do when your PS4 locks up? Is there a special button or command like on your phone?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ufarn posted:

What are you supposed to do when your PS4 locks up? Is there a special button or command like on your phone?
I assume hold the power button down for five seconds or something, but luckily I haven't had that problem yet. My PS3 is having it more and more though...

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assume hold the power button down for five seconds or something, but luckily I haven't had that problem yet. My PS3 is having it more and more though...
No such thing, alas. Ended up flipping the power, anarchist that I am.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
Anyone here have trouble getting the PS4 to work with a 120hz monitor? I don't know why it keeps saying No Signal. I've tried unplugging and rebooting both and using Safe Mode, nothing works

e- I didn't buy it For my PS4, it's just the better of my 2 monitors and positioned more comfortably on my desk

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

Anyone here have trouble getting the PS4 to work with a 120hz monitor? I don't know why it keeps saying No Signal. I've tried unplugging and rebooting both and using Safe Mode, nothing works

Cable problems or port problems on the monitor. At launch up until 2014 I was using a 120hz ASUS monitor with no trouble at all. So what I'd recommend before giving up is getting a new cable to use. You can try and buy a new HDMI cable from Monoprice and see how it works out.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

crackton posted:

I almost dare not to ask, but what happened to the "bad" xbox one thread? Did it finally hit 1079 pages and get locked?

It couldn't reach page 1080 because that number is incompatible with the Bone.

The people who were previously posting in the thread have now taken over the 'real' Bone thread while the same 5 idiots who actually bought the loving thing are repeatedly posting the equivalent of "c'mon guys, please stop mocking us and the console. we're trying to have a serious discussion about it at a rate of 15 posts every 2 days or so"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ularg posted:

Since Destiny came out PSN has been completely broken for me. I cannot view notifications, invites, friends, or friend requests. If I search for someone on PSN to add as a friend it doesn't work. Say, for example, their name is Bobthebuilder. I'll start typing his name out and PSN will find users as I am still filling it out. So it finds Bob, Bobt, Bobtheb and Bobthebuild. But the moment I finish typing in "Bobthebuilder" it just can't find that person. At one point I managed to get into party chat with someone I was trying to join, but I couldn't load his profile to join his game. I used to just have to pull out my phone and use the PSN app (which I shouldn't have to), but now that's acting up as well. Sent friend requests aren't received either way and it doesn't really display all the friend requests or notifications I have.

I haven't had any issues.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Ularg posted:

I have the same issues. Aggravating.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I really like my PS4, like a lot, but man I hope the fall update at least brings it to feature parity with the PS3 as far as media streaming goes... even if it can't play video files through a network & only off of USB or something it would be better than nothing. Can Xbox One do that stuff? It would be AMAZING to have Plex on there, but I can't see that ever, ever happening. I also really miss HBO Go and the ESPN app, coming from a 360-- does Microsoft have exclusitivity on those this generation, or are those things I can hope to see eventually,

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

goferchan posted:

I really like my PS4, like a lot, but man I hope the fall update at least brings it to feature parity with the PS3 as far as media streaming goes... even if it can't play video files through a network & only off of USB or something it would be better than nothing. Can Xbox One do that stuff? It would be AMAZING to have Plex on there, but I can't see that ever, ever happening. I also really miss HBO Go and the ESPN app, coming from a 360-- does Microsoft have exclusitivity on those this generation, or are those things I can hope to see eventually,

PS3 has HBO Go now and PS4 is supposed to get it soon. When PS3 finally got HBO Go I pretty much unplugged my 360 and haven't looked back.

Not sure about Plex. I use it on my PS3 but right now the PS4 doesn't allow streaming with media servers as far as I know.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

goferchan posted:

Yeah. Really funny how it's a downgrade in a ton of practical manners such as this.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Plex web app works. I use it almost every day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ularg posted:

Supposedly rebuilding your database should fix this. I have had the same problems so I'm going to do it while I'm at work today since PS4 says it can take a few hours and I'll post of it works or not.

If you are interested in trying yourself,turn the PS4 off, then hold the power button until you hear a second beep, plug in the DS4 and hit the PS button. This will bring you to a menu that will let you do it.

spudsbuckley posted:

It couldn't reach page 1080 because that number is incompatible with the Bone.

The people who were previously posting in the thread have now taken over the 'real' Bone thread while the same 5 idiots who actually bought the loving thing are repeatedly posting the equivalent of "c'mon guys, please stop mocking us and the console. we're trying to have a serious discussion about it at a rate of 15 posts every 2 days or so"

I'd be annoyed if 100 nerds took over the PS4 thread and started posting endlessly about how PS4 sucks.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 27, 2014

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

G-Whizard posted:

PS3 has HBO Go now and PS4 is supposed to get it soon. When PS3 finally got HBO Go I pretty much unplugged my 360 and haven't looked back.

Not sure about Plex. I use it on my PS3 but right now the PS4 doesn't allow streaming with media servers as far as I know.

Apparently you can use Plex through the browser on PS4 since it's got HTML5 support which is potentially cool, but I have no idea how it runs, I'll have to test it out soon. If you've never used Plex on a Roku, though, I reccomend you don't-- it's so smooth and so polished that it will ruin any other media streaming interface for you forever. It automatically finds metadata for your videos, organizes your shows by season, (tastefully) automatically skins the interface while you're browsing (like, the Breaking Bad bassline plays in the background as you scroll through Breaking Bad episodes) and more. Seriously cool software, and it's nice that you can do all that on a $40 Roku but also frustrating you can't do it on a PS4 that retails for 10 times as much

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Plex web app works. I use it almost every day.

It's not choppy or laggy or anything? That's awesome & I'll try setting it up this weekend

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Yeah I've been using Plex through the browser, it works great and I've been streaming 720p video from my PC with no issues.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

I'd be annoyed if 100 nerds took over the PS4 thread and started posting endlessly about how PS4 sucks.
The difference is that it doesn't suck though.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

goferchan posted:

Apparently you can use Plex through the browser on PS4 since it's got HTML5 support which is potentially cool, but I have no idea how it runs, I'll have to test it out soon. If you've never used Plex on a Roku, though, I reccomend you don't-- it's so smooth and so polished that it will ruin any other media streaming interface for you forever. It automatically finds metadata for your videos, organizes your shows by season, (tastefully) automatically skins the interface while you're browsing (like, the Breaking Bad bassline plays in the background as you scroll through Breaking Bad episodes) and more. Seriously cool software, and it's nice that you can do all that on a $40 Roku but also frustrating you can't do it on a PS4 that retails for 10 times as much

It's something they might add later. I want to say Sony realized they horribly misjudged their audience when they released it and everybody freaked out. Sony was like "Ohhhh uhhh... we didn't realize it was such a big deal, we'll consider adding it." So maybe we'll see it in the future. Until then, I have my PS3.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I remember reading something about the HBO go app and how essentially it's Comcast holding the thing up. Otherwise, ya. I get why They wouldn't have a media server, but drat it makes things convenient.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

NESguerilla posted:

There aren't that many Bone owners in any one online community/forum.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In the last couple of days Friends List stuff on PS4 has gone wonky. Long rear end load/seek times, friends requests disappearing into the ether.

Anyone else?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

You'd be annoyed but it would be perfectly within their rights. It's not like there's been zero criticism about the PS4 in this thread. Hell, I own one, and I'm happy with my purchase, but there's some dumb things about the system even today.

The only reason the Bone got its own separate thread for hating on was because people kept whining about criticism in its own thread, but unfortunately, this meant a breeding ground for Shadow Puppet, Stux, Fame Douglas, and other weirdos to get really creepy and obsessive in the success (or lack thereof) of a gadget they didn't like. Now that there's one thread, and Shadow Puppet isn't posting anymore, all is as it should be.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

How dare you, Shadow Puppet Of is/was one of the best posters the games subforum had seen in years.

Also there are still two Xbox One threads. The new mock thread is pretty slow and dead for whatever reason, though, so that might be why you haven't noticed it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

You'd be annoyed but it would be perfectly within their rights.

It really shouldn't be. There's a serious difference between criticism and what amounts to 4chan-style invasions. For some reason they've decided that there doesn't need to be moderation anymore and it's gotten pretty goddamn bad. It's like they were told they were over-moderating so the alternate choice is just to shrug and give up.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The mock thread got boring when everything cooled down and now Xbox One is just another console now, not a spawn of Satan.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Zinkraptor posted:

Also there are still two Xbox One threads. The new mock thread is pretty slow and dead for whatever reason, though, so that might be why you haven't noticed it.

Oh. Yeah, you're right.

ImpAtom posted:

It really shouldn't be. There's a serious difference between criticism and what amounts to 4chan-style invasions. For some reason they've decided that there doesn't need to be moderation anymore and it's gotten pretty goddamn bad. It's like they were told they were over-moderating so the alternate choice is just to shrug and give up.

That's what I'm saying - it started out as legitimate criticism, but the console got better over time, and all the criticism was forced into its own thread where the obsessive nerds started to fester.

Like Ularg pointed out, the Bone isn't really a bad purchase anymore. It's the same price for a weaker toy with a dumber name, but you're still in the next-gen field if you get it.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 27, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Shadow Puppet Of was cool and the thread was fun and now everyone who didn't get in on the fun is calling fun gay whilst also posting in the new shittier xbox thread. smdh

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, it still sucks.

Haven't turned it on in 3 months. It only turned on that time because Aaron Paul said Xbox On in a commercial.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wanna know what happened to all the TV integration stuff. Did it actually happen?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rebuilding the database seems to have mostly fixed the loading issues with my friends list etc at first glance. Still some slight wonkiness with the parties. So anyone having troubles should try that. PS4 says it might take a few hours but it took about 10 seconds for me.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wanna know what happened to all the TV integration stuff. Did it actually happen?

Friends of mine who have Xbones said it was cool at first but ended up just being an irritating extra step to getting to the channel you want. They'd be screaming at their TV to change the loving channel when they could have just used the remote. Eventually they just disconnected it and use their normal cable TV set up. It's a cool thought...but if it's not completely seamless, it won't ever catch on. I do like that you can just say "Xbox record that." That's about the only thing I think would be neat on PS4. But then again our share feature is better either way so...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aphrodite posted:

No, it still sucks.

Haven't turned it on in 3 months. It only turned on that time because Aaron Paul said Xbox On in a commercial.
Why haven't you traded it in/sold it yet? :lol:

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can plug your cable box into an HDMI port on the Bone and watch TV from your cable box on the system, but you can't DVR anything and the Bone doesn't work as a Media Center Extender like the 360 does. The only reason I'm keeping my 360 around anymore is because I have an HDHomeRun and use the 360 to watch live TV/DVRed stuff through the Windows Media Center interface. But the Bone wouldn't even let me do that, so that's yet another reason I would have no use for one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why haven't you traded it in/sold it yet? :lol:

:shrug:

I don't need the money.

Something will come out eventually.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aphrodite posted:

:shrug:

I don't need the money.

Something will come out eventually.
Like Halo 2?

Get rid of it and use the money to buy a bunch of multiplat titles on PS4 because they're the superior versions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume he means something he'd like to play that won't be on the PS4.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
D4 is already out bro. Play it and trade the system.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I assume he means something he'd like to play that won't be on the PS4.

Like Halo 2? That's already been out for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Quantum Break for the XB1 looks bad rear end. Remedy are the only developers that I miss leaving Xbox.

Edit: I doubt I will ever get a XB1. What precious time I do have for games are already consumed by the PS4 and WiiU.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 28, 2014

• Locked thread