Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Looks at Smoking (MAD #329, July/August 1994)

The Lighter Side of Goofs (MAD #190, April 1977)

Don Martin Dept. (MAD #135, June 1970)

Spy vs. Spy: The Newspaper Strip (October 6, 2002)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

I like the colourist fuckup on Brad's leg so that it looks like he has both feet attached to a single leg.

Can you really blame the colorist? It's a very bad drawing.

edit: I am very bad at drawing but I don't draw a syndicated strip

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yes, they are expressive when used the right way. Can you show me some being used properly?

In the hands of someone even just a smidge better than Brooke, that could indeed be a very striking scene (though, really, does it need to be striking? Nothing's going on), as is it looks... like vaguely person shaped cutouts in reality, since I assume the yellow circle is supposed to be some kind of spotlight type thing?

Johnny Walker posted:

For comparison:

That's... actually not too bad. The facial structure didn't change, but the change in hairstyle does actually make her look younger.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

catlord posted:

That's... actually not too bad. The facial structure didn't change, but the change in hairstyle does actually make her look younger.

Except that Kelly doesn't list scissors as one of her makeover tools, and unless the old lady was sporting a fake bun this whole time, I don't believe she achieved that new hairstyle without a haircut.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Clever product placement from the OATS corporation.

Right. Ok. I just cannot not hear "Dingdong" when I read that.

Non Sequitur

Yeah, I looked that guy up. Interesting that Wiley wasn't mentioned in the article anywhere.

Heavenly Nostrils

:)

9 Chickweed Lane 9/27/2003

:regd08: Brooke, it's old. It's not funny.

Zits

I dunno, those are pretty honest questions. She should've specified.

Kevin & Kell

Christ. She's married to a squirrel?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 9/27/2003

Insurance companies are real poo poo though, he's right

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Insurance companies are real poo poo though, he's right

This is true. I was the CIO of a small health insurance company years ago, and saw it all from the inside. We used to expend large amounts of time making sure that you didn't get money from us, because, hell, we we're trying to make a profit here. The "for profit" logic applies to many other types of insurance too, but health insurance is, by far, the worst.

Anyway, Brooke had the point hammered home, countersunk, and painted over by last Wednesday, and it's just old now.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I dunno, those are pretty honest questions. She should've specified.

Yeah, but look closer, he hangs up and calls back between each question. A family of dumbos.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is why we have those dumb warning labels.

Working Daze moves from turning people into mindless inanimate objects to turning them into mindless animals.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

The Ghost Who Plants Evidence.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gorilla Salad posted:

The Ghost Who Plants Evidence.

The Ghost Who, Confident In His Status As Main Character, Doesn't Care About Snake Bites

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (July 9, 1927)

In case you were wondering...

Peanuts (September 30, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

A victory! A victory shrouded in pain and the taste of your own blood! Yay!

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (September 30-October 1, 1925)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (September 30-October 1, 1925)

J.R. I think I speak for everybody here in the future when I say get back to the cowboys! They're a lot more interesting than these common, everyday Dog Walking down the Street with Bizarre Headgear Comix.

Pooch Café

Uh gee I dunno maybe because there's a wet dog right there you idiot moron fucker????

Ballard Street

He's going to keep the thing though. He knows it makes him look badass.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze moves from turning people into mindless inanimate objects to turning them into mindless animals.

OH COME ON THIS IS THE LAZIEST BULLSHIT

Cul-de-sac Please God, please give Thompson's parkinsons to Zarkour and/or Mike Lester instead.

Heathcliff. God, I'm still pissed off.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

This is true. I was the CIO of a small health insurance company years ago, and saw it all from the inside. We used to expend large amounts of time making sure that you didn't get money from us, because, hell, we we're trying to make a profit here. The "for profit" logic applies to many other types of insurance too, but health insurance is, by far, the worst.

Anyway, Brooke had the point hammered home, countersunk, and painted over by last Wednesday, and it's just old now.

I did some medical billing once upon a time and I had it explained to me that it was their job to try not to pay on the insurance side. I had never considered it, but it made sense. Dirty, but sensible.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
God dammit, Batiuk, Bull breaking the rules to have the mascot be a player is going to be proof that he's good enough to be a college coach, isn't it?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I can attest to this. It's my job to harass, coerce, and threaten you until you pay.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Office Hours

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Hmm, don't you think this guy's alibi is a bit too good? Book him, Alfie!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

I wonder if the worried look on the bears face and all those exclamation marks were intended to make it look like it was panicking at the thought of being in Nancy's inescapable clutches all day.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Holy poo poo. That's... that's really creepy. It's the bear's face that does it. What the gently caress is wrong with you Gilchrist?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

A victory! A victory shrouded in pain and the taste of your own blood! Yay!

They just threw him in there and didn't even give him pads or a helmet or anything?

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Intelligent Life

Big Nate

Francis

:stonk:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Self-reflection is the true mark of a master.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Mister Beeg posted:

Thought I share more Patty Cake. I really love Scott Robert's drawings, especially when it's his own characters. Here's what he's capable of other than "Working Daze"

This one is a whopping 16 page story

This is good (really good) poo poo, but it stinks of Peter Bagge. Artistic homage or mid 90's coincidence?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Incredible Spider-Exposition! Excelsior!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think this is pretty good, but what difference does it make really?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

RandomFerret posted:

J.R. I think I speak for everybody here in the future when I say get back to the cowboys! They're a lot more interesting than these common, everyday Dog Walking down the Street with Bizarre Headgear Comix.

From The Time Traveling Mail Bag:

Master Ferret,

Thank you for your kind comments from beyond the veil of these modern times. Rest assured that as long as I control this 1925 vintage pen and brush, there will always be room in "Out Our Way" for cowboys and comical Negroes.

Yours in Christ,
J.R. Williams

P.S.: If you wish to write again from the future, please don't tell me how I died. I want it to be a surprise. Stock tips will be accepted, of course.

Anyway, bonus Out Our Way! With the cowboys! (October 2-3, 1925)

Not sure what to make of her tiny shoes. Foot binding in the old West?

Pogo (September 29, 1956)

Question for discussion: If the pig represents Krushchev, what does Albert's reaction here tell you about American foreign relations on the rear end-end of the 50s?

Peanuts: Year One (June 14-16, 1951)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 28, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Johnny Walker posted:

I think this is pretty good, but what difference does it make really?

As a sufferer of some pretty awful depression myself, this is almost too real.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

nthing the depression comic hitting too close to home.

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Julet Esqu posted:

They just threw him in there and didn't even give him pads or a helmet or anything?

No, the mascot was hanging around the endzone and got a pass thrown to him. The entire thing reeks of "Air Bud" level of "There's no rule that ________ can't play football!"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

This is good (really good) poo poo, but it stinks of Peter Bagge. Artistic homage or mid 90's coincidence?

I don't know Scott Roberts all that well, but it might be a little bit of both.

It should be noted that both cartoonists have the same influence. They both enjoy classic animation, Bob Clampett in particular. John K. is also a huge Clampett fanboy.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

oldman posted:

No, the mascot was hanging around the endzone and got a pass thrown to him. The entire thing reeks of "Air Bud" level of "There's no rule that ________ can't play football!"

He was hanging out there because the coach put him there:

I guess the only requirement for being an official football player is "be on the field."

So....

Apparently the guy who does Intelligent Life made a thing:

Thanks for that, Intelligent Life guy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

Apparently the guy who does Intelligent Life made a thing:

Thanks for that, Intelligent Life guy.

Yeah, Joe Giella himself did it first and better.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, Joe Giella himself did it first and better.

:eyepop::gowron::eyepop::gowron::eyepop::gowron::eyepop::gowron::eyepop::gowron::eyepop::gowron::eyepop::gowron::eyepop::gowron:

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Julet Esqu posted:

He was hanging out there because the coach put him there:

I guess the only requirement for being an official football player is "be on the field."

I missed that one, that's even worse and makes me much angrier than it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma

I think that's supposed to be a burglar.

• Locked thread