Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was pretty decent, the alien threat was underdeveloped but that wasn't really the point of the episode. I wouldn't mind having Pink as a second assistant (to be more of a dissenting voice/straight man), I assumed he was going to insist on joining them at the end of the episode.

Payndz posted:

This episode had some (mildly) amusing moments, but it's cemented something that's been developing all season: the show's become The Misadventures Of Clara rather than Doctor Who. This week, Clara has a big date with her hunky co-worker, but her wacky time-travelling neighbour space dad friend throws a spanner in the works once again! That crazy Kramer Doctor, what will he get up to next?

Matt Smith's stories often had sitcom-esque scenes, sometimes to excess, but this year's gone all-out with it and it's getting tiresome. The Doctor's seemed less like the hero of his own show than the zany comic relief.
Is that really true? Clara has had a lot more development and time this season (which I like), but I think the new Doctor has gotten plenty too. Into the Dalek explored the tensions surrounding his views on daleks, Robot of Sherwood established him as hating heroic bluster, Listen looked at his views on fear (which I liked a lot) and Time Heist was pretty much entirely about his crazy plan to save one alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Metal Loaf posted:

"EAT THE FUCKIN' CHEESE, MASTER!"

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
All that time running around Coal Hill School, and no way to work Ian into the plotline somehow?

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Okay, seriously, how are we not all going monkey brain insane over Chris Addison?

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Ms Boods posted:

All that time running around Coal Hill School, and no way to work Ian into the plotline somehow?

This :( And I'm pretty sure William Russell would be willing to reprise the role in the actual show if asked - he's been pretty busy doing Big Finish audios (Companion Chronicles mainly, and as of late actually portraying the First Doctor in some stories) so clearly he has no disdain for the series/show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Caretaker gifs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think one of the interesting things about Capaldi Doc is that he isn't the point of view character. In the new series ever since Tennant took over the role, the pov has been pretty exclusively with the Doctor, and going back to following the companion around instead of the Doctor is weirding some people out it seems.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

remusclaw posted:

I think one of the interesting things about Capaldi Doc is that he isn't the point of view character. In the new series ever since Tennant took over the role, the pov has been pretty exclusively with the Doctor, and going back to following the companion around instead of the Doctor is weirding some people out it seems.

Really the Doctor has only been the point of view character since sometime in Matt Smiths second season.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Afterlife as a hilarious bureaucracy is always fun to watch, dunno if they can pull it off though.

Really enjoyed this episode, had me in stitches really. And yeah, the dollar store Matt Smith was amazing.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I don't know if I would agree with that, you spend a good deal of time alone in the Tardis with Tennant. I understand we have had a few scenes so far with Capaldi alone, but it almost seemed more like it was as an observer rather than as a co-conspirator.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Payndz posted:

This episode had some (mildly) amusing moments, but it's cemented something that's been developing all season: the show's become The Misadventures Of Clara rather than Doctor Who. This week, Clara has a big date with her hunky co-worker, but her wacky time-travelling neighbour space dad friend throws a spanner in the works once again! That crazy Kramer Doctor, what will he get up to next?

Never mind, Clara is going away. There's some sledgehammer-like foreshadowing going on in an ep that had so much heavy-lifting that on first watch really detracted from the silly dialogue for me. Perhaps it will then become Tales of Mr Pink, but personally I'm more worried that we're going to get hand-waved some new TARDIS feature that saves nearby Companions or others. You know what that means. Adric.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Sober posted:

Afterlife as a hilarious bureaucracy is always fun to watch, dunno if they can pull it off though.

Really enjoyed this episode, had me in stitches really. And yeah, the dollar store Matt Smith was amazing.

Afterlife as a bureaucracy is incredibly cliché and now thus always boring.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dabir posted:

Jesus Christ Clara, how long did it take you to get to just coming out with the truth.
This was the most agonizing thing. For a character who's really assertive a lot of the time, Clara's efforts to avoid confronting any of that two-lives problem has been infuriating to watch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PoshAlligator posted:

China will be disappointed to hear that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

This was the most agonizing thing. For a character who's really assertive a lot of the time, Clara's efforts to avoid confronting any of that two-lives problem has been infuriating to watch.

Keep in mind that her other life is INSANE. We're used to it because we're watching the show, but imagine telling the guy you've just started dating that the reason you're always so distracted and out of sorts is because you know a nigh-immortal time traveller who takes you on adventures through time and space every other day. Sure Danny had just seen some weird poo poo happen in the assembly hall, but most people aren't going to just naturally accept that there are aliens and temporal vortexes (keep in mind Moffat did away with RTD's "everybody knows about aliens but somehow society remains unchanged!" stuff). So she rather naturally tried to cover it up with yet another story, only this one was even more ridiculous than the alternative, and Danny is clearly somebody willing to accept the proof of his own eyes.

I did laugh that the Doctor got confused and thought there really was going to be a play, though :3:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I really, really liked the scene with Danny using the cloaking watch in the TARDIS. Him being less concerned that the Doctor's a mad alien spaceman, and more that he's a toff is fantastic, and the mocking "SAH, YES SAH!" thing warmed me up to him more in that one scene than all his bits previously. I hope they keep a bit of that once he inevitably starts travelling with them.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

PoshAlligator posted:

I didn't even know it was big enough of a thing to be cliche.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

I didn't even know it was big enough of a thing to be cliche.

The afterlife as bureaucracy? Oldest joke in the book.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Potsticker posted:

Can the tv show use characters created by Big Finish? Paul McGann said some names for a web thing, but Thomas Hector Scofield showing up would be beyond amazing.

Pages and pages ago, but I'd love to see Twelve and Evelyn Smythe go back and forth.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stop playing 11's theme on the previews, you jerks. :mad:

Dug this ep quite a bit. Capaldi's amazing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I strongly suspect it's a sham afterlife. In Into the Dalek we had The Doctor pick someone up just as they were about to die, and in Time Heist we had people getting teleported instead of killed as well. They might just be collecting Doctor "victims" and no-one else.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was my favourite Capaldi episode yet. I liked the jokes and bickering, a bit of character drama, it didn't feel rushed and the concept wasn't too silly for me to roll with. If the rest are half this strong this could end up being a pretty good season.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I thought there was a lot of fun character stuff from everyone in this one.

Capaldi's Doctor is clearly one that could hang with Rick from Rick and Morty.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

LividLiquid posted:

Stop playing 11's theme on the previews, you jerks. :mad:

God yes, that's such a tease.

I liked the episode well enough, but the sound was wonky on my tv or something, so I think I'll have to rewatch to get a better handle on the dialogue.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Signs and Wonders was really, really good. The whole Hector storyline is really good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Doctor Who as screwball comedy. I love it. Gareth Roberts's episodes tend to be a bit hit or miss for me, but this one worked so well.

Danny's I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO HELP YOU attitude there at the end was pretty drat off-putting, but that's not a criticism of the episode. Quite the opposite. As long as the show doesn't leave it there, and I'm fairly certain it won't, just judging from Clara's reaction to it.

Between that, though, and the way he interacts with and talks about the Doctor, I do feel like I have more of an idea of broadly what must have happened in his soldiering past now, and it's all developed rather more subtly than the HELLO NEW TEACHER DID YOU EVER KILL ANY CIVILIANS classroom scene we got a few episodes ago.

The show's not been perfect, but the writing's been really smart this year, and I hope it continues.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Best episode of the season for sure, and in my top few in the history of the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really liked 12's personality in the first half. I really hated 12's personality in the second half.

One step forward, two steps back. C'mon show.

I really want the show to move past this idiotic "scorned ex" thing they're doing with 12. I don't care what Capaldi, Coleman, and Moffat say, even if that isn't what they're trying to do with the character (it is) that's definitely the way it comes across. The first 15 minutes of this episode were great because they finally allowed Capaldi to give the character some characterization that wasn't "friendzoned redditor". I mean goddamn.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 28, 2014

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I could've watched that episode all night.

THE FLIP was rather silly though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Bad news for DoctorWhat: Lynda Bellingham, the Oxo mum and the only watchable character in Trial of a Time Lord other than Brian Blessed, has terminal cancer and expected to die within weeks. :smith:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
What i'd really like to see (hoping jerusalem has some kind of catalog) is the .gif of "The flip" (Which was goofy but didnt really bother me) right next to Rory Ponds famous "The slide" from "Asylum of the daleks". (You know, for contrast or something)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

What i'd really like to see (hoping jerusalem has some kind of catalog) is the .gif of "The flip" (Which was goofy but didnt really bother me) right next to Rory Ponds famous "The slide" from "Asylum of the daleks". (You know, for contrast or something)

Sure why not v:shobon:v

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

TinTower posted:

Bad news for DoctorWhat: Lynda Bellingham, the Oxo mum and the only watchable character in Trial of a Time Lord other than Brian Blessed, has terminal cancer and expected to die within weeks. :smith:

I finished the third season of Gallifrey earlier this week. She was fantastic through the entire series, and had some great JNT stories on their "behind the scenes" filler disc. This is really sad. :(

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Fun episode this week, but the alien menace stuff was the weakest part of it - it served as a great excuse to get the Doctor being awful at being undercover and lead to great interactions between the Doctor, Clara and Danny but I think I actually might have been happier if in the end the menace had turned out to be some innocuous piece of alien technology (maybe even something HE left behind) and given more room for the strain of Danny discovering Clara's double life.

I think my favorite bit was after Clara's appallingly awful lie about the secret play, when the Doctor gets confused because he thought there was really going to be one :3:

This was the same technique used in the The Power Of Three - the threat is a sideshow to focus on the main characters.

Ms Boods posted:

Wasn't he listed as the headmaster on a sign in the 50th? But besides that, true, I'm really surprised he hasn't done a cameo.

Other random thoughts:
I was a little annoyed that Clara had the finger-snapping-door-opener technique. I personally think that should be Doctor only. I don't think even River could/did do that?

Were they foreshadowing a lot of death to come "soon"? All the other scenes with Missy were in comfortable surroundings, this time it was in City Hall. And her assistant said she was "busy"...

I wonder if they will all pool their knowledge of Future Pink, now that all the coverups are done with.

I'm really glad it appears that 12 has a consistent personality now. (Yes, I still hate his pointless bickering in Sherwood.)

Really hated that the War Machine couldn't hit moving targets worth a drat. Not even someone doing The Flip Maneuver at point blank range. I know, I know, I said before this episode wasn't about the Threat, but still...

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 28, 2014

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
They managed bringing Abslom Daak into TV canon from the Marvel Doctor Who series from the 1980s. I am vaguely disappointed that Courtney Woods wasn't named Sharon Davies from the same series:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

What a disappointing, wretched pile of kack in this episode. I really like Capaldi and I like Clara as his conscience and companion but the ghastly sitcom poo poo with her new boyfriend and the doctor being a complete dick to him because "he doesn't like soldiers" is awful writing and I hope they'll drop that crap moving forward. Last week's Time Heist is the show I want to watch - adventures in wonderful places with the Doctor, not lovely retcons of the series.

The whole new series has hammered home that the Doctor wasn't some bystander or last remaining watcher of things, he was a soldier in the Time Wars and Eckleston, Tennant and Smith all make mention of that. Now, Capaldi suddenly forgets that he was on the front lines himself? Way to poo poo all over your own storylines you jerks.

The afterlife story arc for this season is not terribly compelling to me. Ho hum, mysterious lady and a bunch of dead folks in The Promised Land. Whatever. Move on to more actual adventures not a loving rehash of a plot that was stale when Three's Company did it.

The grumpy, bickering, fairly rude Doctor is really making me laugh. His utter obliviousness to Clara is a decent source of comedy and fits in decently with the series as a whole. Here's hoping they will focus on telling adventure stories and gadding about the galaxy instead of writing more drivel like this week and the season opener.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure the Doctor knowing he was a soldier plays into his mistrust of them. Remember he's still not sure of being a good person.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ian was listed as the Chairman of the School's Governors in Day of the Doctor. I would have loved to have seen him to but I don't know where it could have really been jammed in without doing the old boy justice. I do have high hopes that he'll make a cameo at some point though, if only to marvel at seeing Danny Pink filling in for his old role as somehow having incredible martial arts abilities for a schoolteacher :3:

RunAndGun posted:

This was the same technique used in the The Power Of Three - the threat is a sideshow to focus on the main characters.

That episode wasn't quite as good as this one, but it had the same "problem" where the interactions between Doctor, companions and other humans is really strong and interesting and the requisite alien menace stuff is not only sidelined but poorly executed to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

That episode wasn't quite as good as this one, but it had the same "problem" where the interactions between Doctor, companions and other humans is really strong and interesting and the requisite alien menace stuff is not only sidelined but poorly executed to boot.

The Van Gogh episode had a similar problem, where there was clearly only a monster because There Has To Be A Monster.

To say nothing of:

• Locked thread