Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vasudus posted:

You can't transfer benefits if you're not 100%, I just looked it up. He transferred 18mos to each child, which is paid out the same as any service member. They just have 18mos of bennies and not 36.

He thought that each child was getting 50% benefits. He does have 100% eligibility. Each getting 18 months makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Chriskory posted:

Yes, it must be my weird blocked schedule. I am taking 7 roughly two week courses stacked in order across the semester. So the two $83 are two credit book stipends, the $41 is a one credit and the $484 is prorated August BAH $40.40 x 12 enrollment days.

I thought BAH paid on the first of the month for that month, I guess it's for the previous month?

You always get paid for the month that just passed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

You can't transfer benefits if you're not 100%, I just looked it up. He transferred 18mos to each child, which is paid out the same as any service member. They just have 18mos of bennies and not 36.

Could you link me where it says so?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Could you link me where it says so?

You need 6yr of active service to qualify for any transfer options, with additional obligations. Even if you took SLRP or any other incentive that pushes out your eligibility, you would be at 100% when it came time to transfer.

I'm on my phone but if you look at the criteria for transfer vs the criteria to be 100% Post 9/11 (even with SLRP/ADSO) it's impossible to not be 100%.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

You need 6yr of active service to qualify for any transfer options, with additional obligations. Even if you took SLRP or any other incentive that pushes out your eligibility, you would be at 100% when it came time to transfer.

I'm on my phone but if you look at the criteria for transfer vs the criteria to be 100% Post 9/11 (even with SLRP/ADSO) it's impossible to not be 100%.

benefits.va.gov says

quote:

Has at least six years of service in the armed forces (active duty and/or Selected Reserve) on the date of approval and agrees to serve four additional years in the armed forces from the date of election.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

How long should it take from the start of the semester for the VA to certify my enrollment?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

MancXVI posted:

How long should it take from the start of the semester for the VA to certify my enrollment?

Depends on your certifying official at your school and when they decide to send your paperwork off. After that the VA will tell you two weeks or so, but mine was certified a week after it got sent off.

If you turn the paperwork in to your VA rep and nothing has happened, ask your VA rep first to make sure it's been sent off before you call the VA and deal with that nonsense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You should also receive an email from the VA when they receive your certification from your school official. The start of the fall semester is always rough and it can take a bit for the VA to get everything squared away.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A guy in the local jeep group on facebook just posted that he's starting classes in a couple of weeks. 18 credits on top of his 40 hr/wk job. I assumed it was online because of the timing and posted something like "Too bad BAH is gimped for online." He was unaware.

Did that change this year, or is it still 1/2 the national average? Because if he got out and went through enrollment and poo poo without being told or reading it, :stare:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Godholio posted:

A guy in the local jeep group on facebook just posted that he's starting classes in a couple of weeks. 18 credits on top of his 40 hr/wk job. I assumed it was online because of the timing and posted something like "Too bad BAH is gimped for online." He was unaware.

Did that change this year, or is it still 1/2 the national average? Because if he got out and went through enrollment and poo poo without being told or reading it, :stare:

It pays MUCH less.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
1/2 the national average for E-5.

Turns out he was misunderstanding things sort of. He's still an idiot for loading up that much, but he's taking a class on campus so he's good for BAH.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Is that if you're doing all online classes only? Because I took a bunch of online courses when I was in and still got the full amount.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Is that if you're doing all online classes only? Because I took a bunch of online courses when I was in and still got the full amount.

As long as you take at least 1 class on campus, you're good.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

As long as you take at least 1 class on campus, you're good.

I got it taking a practicum, and a bunch of online classes, too. If you have to regularly go to a specific place for credit, it counts, apparently.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Stupid question I know but I can't figure it out - how does the 9/11 GI Bill actually pay out? I have submitted all my eligibility forms to the school's VA office, they have said "great" and that I'm good, and now tuition is due in a few weeks. The VA does not know my bank account, so what happens here? Do they just credit my tuition? Have I missed some critical step (probably)?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Best Friends posted:

Stupid question I know but I can't figure it out - how does the 9/11 GI Bill actually pay out? I have submitted all my eligibility forms to the school's VA office, they have said "great" and that I'm good, and now tuition is due in a few weeks. The VA does not know my bank account, so what happens here? Do they just credit my tuition? Have I missed some critical step (probably)?

BAH pays out directly from VA to your bank account

Additional refund money goes from VA to your school, then you get the refund in the method that you set up through your school.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Thank you!

So, what is the process by which the VA learns what my bank account is?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Best Friends posted:

Thank you!

So, what is the process by which the VA learns what my bank account is?

https://eauth.va.gov/ebenefits/

My Personal Dashboard
> (Bottom Left) Education
>> Update Direct Deposit and Contact Information for Compensation & Pension and Post-9/11 GI Bill Education
>>> Payment Information For Compensation & Pension and Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Awesome, thanks.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
VA payments for the GI bill can be kinda screwy. I get $1671 BAH in my area. This last pay out instead of $1671, I got $600, $312, $500 all within a couple days of each other. . They have nothing identifying exactly what they are on the website and only say Post 9/11 GI Bill. I called and two were BAH and one was my book stipend.

I was out of school for a week in August between semesters and it cost me a good chunk of my Gi Bill. So don't think you're just automatically going to get the full BAH every month.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I called the VA on Thursday to ask about my enrollment certification (which still hasn't shown up on ebenefits) and they were able to pull up all the details but said it's still in the processing queue. Not sure why it's taking them over a month to pres butan on it but whatever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MancXVI posted:

I called the VA on Thursday to ask about my enrollment certification (which still hasn't shown up on ebenefits) and they were able to pull up all the details but said it's still in the processing queue. Not sure why it's taking them over a month to pres butan on it but whatever.

Because it's the fall semester and they have all the new vets starting school plus all the ones returning. It will get done and you'll get all backpay. It just takes time the first time.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Voc Rehab payments are so much faster and more reliable

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tautologicus posted:

Voc Rehab payments are so much faster and more reliable

I'm still getting mailed voc rehab checks even though I had direct deposit on my gi bill payments and I have direct deposit set up for my broke dick money as well. I can't find another spot on the ebenefits site to change it for that since everything is already set to direct deposit. Hell, even my voc rehab counselor has put in the info on her end. The checks are pretty timely, though, so I can't complain.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think the same thing happened to me, it takes a couple months to change over, voc rehab uses a different address system from gi bill/va hospital system. The worst is when a check gets lost because it takes forever to find it and cancel/reissue it. They have a whole process it goes through. I moved 3 times while in school which always threw their system for a loop even when i told them promptly. Mostly for the appointment letters, i got on dd pretty quick.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

GI Bill update: money fairy came this morning. The dream is alive, getting paid to go to school owns.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

MancXVI posted:

GI Bill update: money fairy came this morning. The dream is alive, getting paid to go to school owns.

Now spend it all on weed and booze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBXyB7niEc0

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
From what I understand if you have partial eligibility for the GI Bill like 50% or 60%, it means that you get 50% or 60% of the BAH and tuition fees over the course of 36 months as opposed to full tuition and full BAH over 18 or 21 months, respectively, correct?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You get 4 years of VA educational benefits (determined by time spent in school)..your percentage doesn't change how that is deducted. aka with 50% GI Bill you really are getting half as much money over the 4 years. Best to try to get Voc Rehab in that situation (that's what I did).

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

Tautologicus posted:

You get 4 years of VA educational benefits (determined by time spent in school)..your percentage doesn't change how that is deducted. aka with 50% GI Bill you really are getting half as much money over the 4 years. Best to try to get Voc Rehab in that situation (that's what I did).

So if I'm only going to get partial GI bill, it's better to just try to use the VR&E instead to maximize benefits?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ideal Paradigm posted:

So if I'm only going to get partial GI bill, it's better to just try to use the VR&E instead to maximize benefits?

Yes, also they will recapture any benefit time for you that you've lost, well at least they did for me. I think it is standard though. VR&E is better in every way anyway, they will pay for a professional degree too if you can convince them that your career path is employable.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

Tautologicus posted:

Yes, also they will recapture any benefit time for you that you've lost, well at least they did for me. I think it is standard though. VR&E is better in every way anyway, they will pay for a professional degree too if you can convince them that your career path is employable.

How do I know if I've lost any benefit time? I'm still AD right now.

And as for a professional degree, do you mean stuff like MD, JD, DPT, etc.?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ideal Paradigm posted:

How do I know if I've lost any benefit time? I'm still AD right now.

And as for a professional degree, do you mean stuff like MD, JD, DPT, etc.?

I think you can call and ask and it comes on your benefit letter occasionally, but if youre still active i doubt you've used any.

Yea, but they won't do a medical degree and they don't like law degrees. Plenty of masters programs though. Im approved for a master of divinity but i havent gone back yet after my bachelors.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also you need to be at least 30% disabled by the VA (not DoD) for voc rehab

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

Tautologicus posted:

I think you can call and ask and it comes on your benefit letter occasionally, but if youre still active i doubt you've used any.

Yea, but they won't do a medical degree and they don't like law degrees. Plenty of masters programs though. Im approved for a master of divinity but i havent gone back yet after my bachelors.

Oh, I see what you mean by benefit time. No, I shouldn't have any lost, I haven't used anything at all.

Do they pay for an MBA? Or a Masters in something like the fitness industry (nutrition, exercise science, etc.)?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ideal Paradigm posted:

Oh, I see what you mean by benefit time. No, I shouldn't have any lost, I haven't used anything at all.

Do they pay for an MBA? Or a Masters in something like the fitness industry (nutrition, exercise science, etc.)?

You give them a career goal and what education you would need to do that job and they look at bureau of labor statistics to determine if there is a market for that job. Its kinda by the book but you can use your sweet words here and there probably. Just make a good case. I don't know about those specific degrees but that's not how it works.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

Tautologicus posted:

You give them a career goal and what education you would need to do that job and they look at bureau of labor statistics to determine if there is a market for that job. Its kinda by the book but you can use your sweet words here and there probably. Just make a good case. I don't know about those specific degrees but that's not how it works.

Alright, got it. So it's dependent on the occupation being something that is in growth according to the DOL. Thanks for all of your help!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ideal Paradigm posted:

Alright, got it. So it's dependent on the occupation being something that is in growth according to the DOL. Thanks for all of your help!

Np man

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I am considering accepting a direct subsidized student loan to cover some expenses in order to maintain my mutual fund intact as I await my VA C&P judgement. I'm wondering if / how stupid an idea this is and whether there are any available alternatives.

It'd basically be 3 grand to repair my truck, which would ideally I would be able to repay in its entirety either A) When my C&P backpay arrives after my judgement or B) By liquidating a portion of my mutual fund at the completion of my education, when the loan would start accruing interest.

Anyone got any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I took a subsidized loan and used it for the lower interest rate to pay off my debts. So basically my $3k loan was just debt consolidation for me. Best financial decision I've made in a long time. Went from something like 20% interest (among credit cards, mostly) to less than 5%. I paid it off early with no penalty and saved myself a shitload in the long run.m

I guess my point is loans for college are stupid unless you have a specific plan for them like I did. Or you're just flat rear end broke.

• Locked thread