Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Aphrodite posted:

Can I go to a Rogers store and buy a SIM without activating it?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

If not, try a Future Shop or Best Buy. I wouldn't at all be surprised if a Rogers store won't sell them outright without activating, if only to be dicks.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Dealers will sell you the SIM card for :10bux:, but a corporate store should give it to you for free if you ask nicely.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Apple gives out free sims for Robelus. Just ask in the store if you have one handy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Do you have an Apple Store nearby? They will give you a sim for free if you show them your order receipt.

E: whoops new page

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The closest Apple store is over a bridge with closed lanes for the weekend, so that's out.

I'll try Rogers and if not I'll find an excuse to go to an Apple store before Thursday or something.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You don't need any special cutting tools for SIM cards. Just print out a template, then scissors or a knife.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

ante posted:

You don't need any special cutting tools for SIM cards. Just print out a template, then scissors or a knife.

I don't think you can cut a regular or micro down to a nano though, the nano sims are thinner I think.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
http://www.gosoftworks.com/GoSoftWorks/NanoSIM_files/nanosima4.pdf

?

I have only done it to get a microSIM, though.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
The reason I say that is because we get simcards 30 or 60 at a time. A stack of 30 regular and micro sims are exactly the same height, but 30 nano sims are a bit shorter. They may still fit, but I wouldn't try it in my own $800 phone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Micros are thicker than Nano. It wasn't a problem with the iPhone 5S, but I haven't seen any confirmation that it will still fit in a 6 since they're thinner now.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I upgraded my iPhone 5 to a 6 at Best Buy on Friday, but they were unable to keep my old plan. They suggested calling Rogers Loyalty to see what they could do.

They confirmed that my plan (an old loyalty plan with something like 250 daytime minutes, unlimited evening/weekends starting at 6, unlimited text/mms, enhanced call display, enhanced vm and 6GB @84/mo) was not eligible to keep going forward on two year contracts. The whole thread is probably aware that a share everything plan with 6GB is $125/mo on all three big providers.

Loyalty gave me two options:

Share everything 3GB $90/mo ($80/mo for the first year)
Or
Share everything 6GB $95/mo

I checked my usage and I used over 3.5GB this month with two days left in my billing cycle - I don't want to start managing my data. These plans drop from enhanced cd and vm to basic, which isn't a big deal I guess. So Canadian wireless is in a state where I pay $10/mo more for the same data, more minutes I won't use and more basic features - and this is a "good" deal :(

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

WienerDog posted:

I don't think you can cut a regular or micro down to a nano though, the nano sims are thinner I think.

Still need a new SIM if the one he has isn't NFC ready, if Apple Pay ends up rolling out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guy gave me the SIM for free so no loss if I ever need an NFC one.

I don't see myself using Apple Pay though. We have Interac here, so what's the point?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Shoota_McG posted:

I upgraded my iPhone 5 to a 6 at Best Buy on Friday, but they were unable to keep my old plan. They suggested calling Rogers Loyalty to see what they could do.

They confirmed that my plan (an old loyalty plan with something like 250 daytime minutes, unlimited evening/weekends starting at 6, unlimited text/mms, enhanced call display, enhanced vm and 6GB @84/mo) was not eligible to keep going forward on two year contracts. The whole thread is probably aware that a share everything plan with 6GB is $125/mo on all three big providers.

Loyalty gave me two options:

Share everything 3GB $90/mo ($80/mo for the first year)
Or
Share everything 6GB $95/mo

I checked my usage and I used over 3.5GB this month with two days left in my billing cycle - I don't want to start managing my data. These plans drop from enhanced cd and vm to basic, which isn't a big deal I guess. So Canadian wireless is in a state where I pay $10/mo more for the same data, more minutes I won't use and more basic features - and this is a "good" deal :(

Holy hell that's awful. Lazy BBY employee could have (and should have) called into loyalty his or herself, it isn't that hard to do. Rogers is the worst loyalty department to deal with but still part of their job.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Godinster posted:

Holy hell that's awful. Lazy BBY employee could have (and should have) called into loyalty his or herself, it isn't that hard to do. Rogers is the worst loyalty department to deal with but still part of their job.

She said that Rogers loyalty would just tell them no - which is plausible.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Shoota_McG posted:

She said that Rogers loyalty would just tell them no - which is plausible.

With Bell loyalty offers usually don't come into effect now until 6 months or less of service. You mentioned you had an iPhone 5, so I'm guessing you probably weren't that far into your contract yet.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

OilSlick posted:

With Bell loyalty offers usually don't come into effect now until 6 months or less of service. You mentioned you had an iPhone 5, so I'm guessing you probably weren't that far into your contract yet.

I got the 5 on launch day, so about two years into a 3 year contract. Got the new loyalty plan before signing my 2 year contract. The new plan is more expensive but at least I can get an iPhone 7 without the hassle of changing plans or paying my ETF!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was just looking at the new Rogers (TM) NHL (R) GameCenter Live (TM) page and lol at each game will be ~1GB of data transfer on a phone or 2-5 GB on anything else.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Rogers doesn't even have a cell phone plan that gets you 1GB of data, just share everything plans with ridiculous prices attached to them.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Joink posted:

Rogers doesn't even have a cell phone plan that gets you 1GB of data, just share everything plans with ridiculous prices attached to them.

My plan isn't particularly great ($65 for 200 minutes and 1GB from when I got a smartphone two years ago) but after seeing Rogers' share everything prices, I plan to stick with it for a long while since Wind isn't available where I am.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

eXXon posted:

I was just looking at the new Rogers (TM) NHL (R) GameCenter Live (TM) page and lol at each game will be ~1GB of data transfer on a phone or 2-5 GB on anything else.

If it's anything like bell their "service zone" or whatever doesn't go toward your monthly usage.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PS. Love the cabin posted:

If it's anything like bell their "service zone" or whatever doesn't go toward your monthly usage.

Ha ha nope!

1 Includes subscription only. Standard data overage/roaming charges apply. My Rogers account registration required. Some blackouts and other restrictions apply based on your location at time of viewing. Other conditions apply. Visit rogers.com/terms for full terms and conditions. Data consumption is approx. 1GB/game when streamed to a smartphone and approx. 2-5GB/game when streamed to a tablet, computer, gaming console or TV (varies based on length of game, stream quality, device and other factors). Data usage exceeding your plan allotment (overage) is charged in increments rounded up to the next MB or GB (as applicable based on your plan). Standard roaming charges apply when not on the Rogers wireless network.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Posting from Vancouver here. I just dumped my three year old $85/mo Rogers plan (unlimited local calling, unlimited Canada text, NO long distance, 500MB data, voicemail etc.) for Wind's $40/month plan at last month's discounted $35 back to school rate. Haven't had any major issues with coverage in the downtown area yet, but day two of the new plan I ran into my first roaming area inside the Deer Lake park conference center. Data is noticeably slower than Rogers, but 90% of the time I'm on a wireless network at home or work anyways, so it doesn't really bother me. So far, so good.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I may be working in Seattle next year for a few months and want to bring my phone with me. Would Wind's free US roaming be a good idea?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Acer Pilot posted:

I may be working in Seattle next year for a few months and want to bring my phone with me. Would Wind's free US roaming be a good idea?

I believe US roaming was only included with one of the promo plans that has expired. It's normally a $15 add on, but yes it seems like it would be worth it. I haven't personally used the roaming in Seattle so I can't speak to its quality.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Evis posted:

I believe US roaming was only included with one of the promo plans that has expired. It's normally a $15 add on, but yes it seems like it would be worth it. I haven't personally used the roaming in Seattle so I can't speak to its quality.

Ah, OK. I guess there's also google voice.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

eXXon posted:

1 Includes subscription only. Standard data overage/roaming charges apply. My Rogers account registration required.

why do people even use rogers

Seriously, the one consolation we have in Canuckistan is that we don't have the ridiculous local monopolies that the States do. Why would you ever pick Rogers when there is Telus/Bell/Videotron/Cogeco/Teksavvy/Distributel/EletronicBox/literally anyone else to choose from?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jan posted:

Seriously, the one consolation we have in Canuckistan is that we don't have the ridiculous local monopolies that the States do. Why would you ever pick Rogers when there is Telus/Bell/Videotron/Cogeco/Teksavvy/Distributel/EletronicBox/literally anyone else to choose from?

I've never had any problems with Rogers besides the price. Great reception, 50Mb/s LTE and near perfect service. Bell has never been able to beat my current corporate plan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

3 of those cost the same as Rogers.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Jan posted:

Because only Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec have legitimate cellular competition (I.e not poo poo coverage)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'm a big retard, the talk of NHL/TV threw me off for a minute and I hadn't noticed this was the cellular thread, not the ISP thread. :downs:

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I'm looking to go from Rogers contract to Koodo prepaid. My Rogers contract ends Nov. 24. From what I understand, once I activate the Koodo SIM, my Rogers service is automatically cancelled. Does "cancelled" means Rogers is given 30 days service notice as per the TOS, or does it mean completely cancelled/I get early cancellation fees?

Basically should I activate Koodo in late October or November 24?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

reflex posted:

I'm looking to go from Rogers contract to Koodo prepaid. My Rogers contract ends Nov. 24. From what I understand, once I activate the Koodo SIM, my Rogers service is automatically cancelled. Does "cancelled" means Rogers is given 30 days service notice as per the TOS, or does it mean completely cancelled/I get early cancellation fees?

Basically should I activate Koodo in late October or November 24?

If you want to keep your phone number, don't tell Rogers. Do the port, and then fight the extra 30 day charge via the CCTS. I've done this successfully in the past.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Is the early termination fee just what's remaining of your phone lease?
Because I'm seriously considering scrounging up the $120 to buy it out and go the $55 koodo route.

So for upfront costs what am I looking at?
$120 To buy out Bell.
$55 For the Koodoo bill (Does this get charged right away? Activation fees?)
$80 For the last Bell bill?

I'm tempted to find a koodo kiosk and ask for more info, are there any known good locations in the GTA?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Is the early termination fee just what's remaining of your phone lease?
Because I'm seriously considering scrounging up the $120 to buy it out and go the $55 koodo route.

So for upfront costs what am I looking at?
$120 To buy out Bell.
$55 For the Koodoo bill (Does this get charged right away? Activation fees?)
$80 For the last Bell bill?

I'm tempted to find a koodo kiosk and ask for more info, are there any known good locations in the GTA?

The ETF is supposed to be that, but it's been defined differently in previous years. Best to phone and ask them what the cost would be. There's also this nasty trick of billing for one final month of service that was alluded above. Work out your billing cycle, and don't pay for something they can't provide.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Lexicon posted:

If you want to keep your phone number, don't tell Rogers. Do the port, and then fight the extra 30 day charge via the CCTS. I've done this successfully in the past.
Fair enough. Are you suggesting I port before my contract is up or on that day?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

reflex posted:

Fair enough. Are you suggesting I port before my contract is up or on that day?

I can't say for sure what would be best, but personally I'd initiate the port on Nov 22nd. You won't owe an early termination fee, as you'll have paid the previous month up until Nov 24th - thereby satisfying your obligation. You'll probably have an argument on your hands to avoid the final month of service, but you can fight this on the grounds that they cannot deliver that service.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Does anyone know what the gently caress is up with Fido's iPhone 6 queue? I reserved right before the release, and since I've been in line maybe 200-300 have received phones, I'm still hovering around 750th in line and it's driving me nuts. I could walk into an Apple store and buy one tomorrow, but I already paid to reserve so I guess I'll tough it out. You'd think they'd get a few loving shipments though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shoota_McG posted:

I'm in Montreal, so the rates might vary, but when I called about the iPhone 6 and inquired about the plans (keep in mind that I had almost the exact same plan as you), they offered me 6 gigs of Data, Unlimited Calling across Canada and Unlimited texting worldwide, for 80$ a month. If I go down to 3 gigs, it would cost me 70$ I think