Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
It should probably also be pointed out that outputting the Wii U to a computer monitor will lead to some loss in color range, because the Wii U only supports limited mode HDMI, whereas computer monitors usually expect their input to be in full range RGB. This will lead to washed out colors with dark areas appearing too bright and bright areas too dark, and blacks displayed as a dark grey and whites as a very light grey instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

It should probably also be pointed out that outputting the Wii U to a computer monitor will lead to some loss in color range, because the Wii U only supports limited mode HDMI, whereas computer monitors usually expect their input to be in full range RGB. This will lead to washed out colors with dark areas appearing too bright and bright areas too dark, and blacks displayed as a dark grey and whites as a very light grey instead.
If you're using a HDMI to DVI adapter or something yeah, but most monitors with native HDMI support will let you adjust the black level.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

They still haven't deleted my post from last night. :laugh:

Oh SURE they leave this up but they delete my post from when I was playing Shovel Knight in butt mode. :mad:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

the truth posted:

Holy poo poo, really? If so I will wait for an inevitable B2G1 deal.

Why wait? It's not like Bayonetta 1 gets sold for full price or anything.
Over here in Europe you can buy Bayonetta 2 for 33£, or the Special Edition of Bayonetta 2 which contains Bayonetta 1 in addition, for 45£.

I doubt Bayonetta 1 will be sold separately anywhere other than the eShop.

Of coruse, the whole Bayo2+1 thing seems to vary per region.

e: or derp, I guess you meant a normal sale. :doh:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

SubNat posted:

Why wait? It's not like Bayonetta 1 gets sold for full price or anything.
Over here in Europe you can buy Bayonetta 2 for 33£, or the Special Edition of Bayonetta 2 which contains Bayonetta 1 in addition, for 45£.

I doubt Bayonetta 1 will be sold separately anywhere other than the eShop.

Of coruse, the whole Bayo2+1 thing seems to vary per region.

To get both cheaper. Like a buy 2, get 2 free, if you would like.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moriatti posted:

To get both cheaper. Like a buy 2, get 2 free, if you would like.

Yeah, that's what I gathered after making the post.

In other news, Hyrule Warriors is pretty rad. :toot:

SuperSpy
Apr 7, 2011

Jobs done, questions none.
For some reason both Amazon.com and .ca each sent me a Twilight Princess costume pre-order code, so here's the unused code for anyone who wants it: A05N80MS2SKNGXW4

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SuperSpy posted:

For some reason both Amazon.com and .ca each sent me a Twilight Princess costume pre-order code, so here's the unused code for anyone who wants it: A05N80MS2SKNGXW4

I got it, thanks! I'm never the first person to get one of these I'm so excited! If you'd like anything up for download currently on Club Nintendo let me know and I'll spend the coins and send you a code as thanks.

Also, if anyone has a Skyward Sword one they don't want I'd do the same trade.

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 27, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Silver Falcon posted:

I use a computer monitor for my Wii U and it works fine. The only annoying thing about the one I have is that the speakers are in the back of the thing. A lot of the time, I can barely hear a game but it's painfully loud for my husband. (His desk is behind the thing.)

If you've still got a Wii composite cable and some speakers that take LR as input then you can solve that problem. The Wii U lets you turn off HDMI audio output and send it to composite/component instead. I've got HDMI to DVI to my monitor and composite to my speakers since I have no room for a TV right now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

the truth posted:

Holy poo poo, really? If so I will wait for an inevitable B2G1 deal.

I would be worried about stock. :shrug: Nintendo has to know :laugh: that this game will not sell gangbusters and as such I expect fire emblem levels of availability.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fritzler posted:

I found this, which is Nintendo recommended hard drives.

I have amazon credit, so I think I may with this. It isn't much more from 1 TB to 2, and the Wii U apparently can't handle more than 2 TB of info.

Does this need a Y cable?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Every level in Tropical Freeze is a unique and beautiful spectacle.

That said, why are there water levels in this game? I had hoped the game industry as a whole was past water levels. Anyone advocating water levels in The Year of Our Lord 2014 should be picked up and thrown out the office window.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

elf help book posted:

Does this need a Y cable?

No, That HDD has a separate power adapter, so only 1 USB plug is required.
However, that also means that you'll need to have an extra outlet available.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I haven't played tropical freeze, but I actually missed water levels in Donkey Kong Country Returns.

But generally, water levels are awful and should be exorcised. Why every 2d Mario game thinks they need them is beyond me - those nostalgia glasses are mighty powerful

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Suspicious Cook posted:

That said, why are there water levels in this game? I had hoped the game industry as a whole was past water levels. Anyone advocating water levels in The Year of Our Lord 2014 should be picked up and thrown out the office window.

Because people apparently complained when they didn't put water levels in Donkey Kong Country Returns. My only problem with the water levels in Tropical Freeze is the oxygen meter.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I loving love water levels.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Suspicious Cook posted:

The water levels, like everything else in Tropical Freeze are very good.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Tropical Freeze is perfect, a game carved by the hand of gods. We don't deserve it.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Tropical Freeze is probably my favorite game at the moment. It was pretty much the main reason I got a Wii U.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The water levels are bad and are a black mark on an otherwise stellar game.

Only Rayman has done water levels well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Rayman only does water levels well because you are a shooting star underwater that obliterates everything and can turn on a dime.

Dk does not do this and also gives you a dumbass oxygen meter. Far and away the worst level in the game is a water level where you need to collect colored keys, it is mostly empty and the only real hazard is your oxygen running out. Whoever tested that and thought it was fun should seek a different career.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 27, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
^^^That's Shoal Atoll. It's the one explorative level in the game and it works really well, particularly because it allows the game to have a more relaxed pace with the light pressure of the air meter running out. It works especially well in Time Trials, where you plan a route and take it as quickly as possible. It's fun.

Regy Rusty posted:

They're exactly the same thing, just that Rayman offers slightly more control when it comes to turning, and DK has some more interesting underwater interactions. The only problem I have with them is that the hitboxes occasionally seemed kind of iffy on certain things, but I think that they change up the game in a way that offers a significant amount of variety, and I enjoy a lot of the game's amphibious levels quite a bit. The full-on water levels at least had some variety to them in how they played out, too, unlike the rocket barrel levels, only 2 of which make the concept feel remotely entertaining.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 27, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Regy Rusty posted:

no, they're actually good

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I like the water levels in DK, but if they were removed in favor of more real levels the game would be stronger for it. Shoal Atoll is just loving terrible, though. A chill exploration level doesn't have a place in DK.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Going to beat Tropical Freeze as soon as I finish up unlocking most of smash bros brawl.

Which might be never, because the final boss is loving ludicrous in subspace emmisary. After being able to bash my way through the entirety of the game with light challenge (i'm playing on normal), the final boss somehow demands near perfect use of the shield and dodge functions - including a one hit kill attack that all but the most accomplished of players are going to get wrecked by.

gently caress you, game.

EDITED: On my tenth try now. Just came within a sliver of beating him - four of my six characters were killed with the same red circles of death move. Jesus H Christ.

ETA: Finally beat him after realizing I could exit out and pick new characters, trod across the map and try again. Was able to cheese over half his health his donkey kong.

I've beaten my fair share of 2d platformers over the years - just 100%ed new super mario bros.

And that smash final boss was spectacularly poor design. Apparently you can dodge the red circles of death by pressing shield and down at just the right time.... a skill the game never once teaches you.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 27, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I like the water levels in DK, but if they were removed in favor of more real levels the game would be stronger for it. Shoal Atoll is just loving terrible, though. A chill exploration level doesn't have a place in DK.

That's really not true at all, unless you're considering only Returns and TF as "DK" (the only really great thing about the first DKC was its strong, "chill" atmosphere, and DK64 is entirely an explorative game). But if that's that standard we're using, then the majority of the bosses and the all of the railed levels are even more out of place compared to the average level.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DK64 is not canon.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Now that's really not true at all.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Narcissus1916 posted:

And that smash final boss was spectacularly poor design. Apparently you can dodge the red circles of death by pressing shield and down at just the right time.... a skill the game never once teaches you.

I'm sure they teach that to you in the How to Play video.

They did in Melee at least. Dodging like that is extremely helpful for Boss Battles on Intense.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Narcissus1916 posted:

Going to beat Tropical Freeze as soon as I finish up unlocking most of smash bros brawl.

Which might be never, because the final boss is loving ludicrous in subspace emmisary. After being able to bash my way through the entirety of the game with light challenge (i'm playing on normal), the final boss somehow demands near perfect use of the shield and dodge functions - including a one hit kill attack that all but the most accomplished of players are going to get wrecked by.

gently caress you, game.

EDITED: On my tenth try now. Just came within a sliver of beating him - four of my six characters were killed with the same red circles of death move. Jesus H Christ.

ETA: Finally beat him after realizing I could exit out and pick new characters, trod across the map and try again. Was able to cheese over half his health his donkey kong.

I've beaten my fair share of 2d platformers over the years - just 100%ed new super mario bros.

sounds like you're just bad and didn't watch the how to play video

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, seriously, why the HELL doesn't Hyrule Warriors support the Wii Classic Controller? I thought I'd be good without having to get a pro Wii U one to play co-op but NOPE, for no real reason the only control type supported through the wiimotes is waggle.

The game itself seems pretty cool, if not terribly special. I recently played the One Piece Musou game and so far I like that one more, but this is still pretty cool.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh christ, there's a how to play Smash video?

*goes into the nest of menus*

Huh, I'll be damned. I remembered that I could shield and dodge to the left and right from the n64 days, no idea that I could just dodge in place. Still a bad piece of final boss game design, with an ugly spike in difficulty.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Am I hilariously bad at Super Luigi U or are the levels designed with a certain 'get your rear end to the end asap' feel that I'm missing.

Because holy hell am I usually pressed for time.

I guess it doesn't help that the Wiimote doesn't feel particularly comfortable for that game to me...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well they only give you 100 seconds.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Am I hilariously bad at Super Luigi U or are the levels designed with a certain 'get your rear end to the end asap' feel that I'm missing.

I guess it doesn't help that the Wiimote doesn't feel particularly comfortable for that game to me...

You're supposed to be pressed for time. That's Luigi U's main gimmick.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

FilthyImp posted:

Well, then don't use the Wiimote, you butt. Use the Gamepad or the Wiimote and Nunchuk (you can use the W+N with NSMBU, right?).

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm trying to decide if Smash Bros is worth buying a Wii U or if the 3DS version (I have the XL) should suffice, and so I'm posting this in both threads. The obvious trade off is the greater expense, but then those graphics are sumptuous, but I don't have a lot of trouble seeing the 3DS version graphics and it comes with that extra mode or two, but the portable one seems to have connectivity issues. I just can't decide

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Pegged Lamb posted:

I'm trying to decide if Smash Bros is worth buying a Wii U or if the 3DS version (I have the XL) should suffice, and so I'm posting this in both threads. The obvious trade off is the greater expense, but then those graphics are sumptuous, but I don't have a lot of trouble seeing the 3DS version graphics and it comes with that extra mode or two, but the portable one seems to have connectivity issues. I just can't decide

A refurbished Wii U for $200 and the quality of the Nintendo first party games out for it already, not to mention the ones coming out in the near future, makes the Wii U the best deal in this generation of consoles right now. When Sony and Microsoft's libraries get bigger and the consoles come down in price, that may change, but as of right now, you absolutely should get a Wii U if you are thinking about it, and Smash is just one of a dozen reasons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd get a Wii U for it and other games. The 3DS version is great but the 3DS itself just feels a bit awkward/painful for Smash and I can't imagine playing it much once the Wii U version is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

FilthyImp posted:

Super Luigi U is meant to be a more challenging game, with less time to set yourself up during a run. One thing that bugs me about the Club Nintendo surveys is how they ask if a game is hard or easy or "just right," but sometimes I want a game to be hard, you know?

• Locked thread