Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, I think of shotgun mods as Carrier mods. Which is pretty useful because why would you go into battle with a robot buddy besides Carrier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Baby Babbeh posted:

Yeah, I think of shotgun mods as Carrier mods. Which is pretty useful because why would you go into battle with a robot buddy besides Carrier?

I haven't taken my Carrier anywhere since I got my Kubrow. gently caress robots, ugly bat-dogs is where its at. They can actually take a hit instead of violently exploding as soon as someone looks sideways at them, for one :v:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Baby Babbeh posted:

I find it hard to use any other pet. "What do you mean I have to walk onto that mod to pick it up? This is bullshit."

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I haven't taken my Carrier anywhere since I got my Kubrow. gently caress robots, ugly bat-dogs is where its at. They can actually take a hit instead of violently exploding as soon as someone looks sideways at them, for one :v:

To be fair, I haven't played much since school started back up, but I feel like I don't lose my carrier all that often unless I'm doing high-level void stuff, since Corrupted Heavy Gunners seem to enjoy targeting my poor vacuum cleaner.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

hooah posted:

To be fair, I haven't played much since school started back up, but I feel like I don't lose my carrier all that often unless I'm doing high-level void stuff, since Corrupted Heavy Gunners seem to enjoy targeting my poor vacuum cleaner.

Probably because of the gunner's high hp the Carrier get to unload a lot of damage to it and out-dps you so it got the aggro.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, but if you counteract that in any useful way people will just abuse it. For instance if the falloff stays the same but the damage is finally attractive people will just stack enemies up at choke points or black hole them and murder them point blank. It would basically be used like the launchers without the exploding your face part. Which they already nerfed for being too useful.

Literally everything else is useful for that too, except better because there's no falloff.

And launchers having 20-ish ammo is not a meaningful nerf. They still dominate, you just can't macro ODD any more without also burning ammo packs.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Denzine posted:

Literally everything else is useful for that too, except better because there's no falloff.

And launchers having 20-ish ammo is not a meaningful nerf. They still dominate, you just can't macro ODD any more without also burning ammo packs.
Well, I was trying to get into DE's head and find some tortured logic they might use for it. I figure they don't want people to have an easy time farming with their brains shut off and I also figure they're completely in denial about where they're successful on that front. You're absolutely right though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Well, I was trying to get into DE's head and find some tortured logic they might use for it.

There's your problem.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CrashCat posted:

I was trying to get into DE's head
When you look at Steve, Steve looks back at you.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

CrashCat posted:

Well, I was trying to get into DE's head and find some tortured logic they might use for it. I figure they don't want people to have an easy time farming with their brains shut off and I also figure they're completely in denial about where they're successful on that front. You're absolutely right though.

The launcher ammo thing had been suggested by the forums for months. My guess is they just gave people what they wanted and didn't bother thinking further than that.
It shut them up fairly effectively, even.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I just don't think that the Kubrow fit the weird shiny pseudo-organic aesthetic thing the Tenno have going on :shrug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kubrow are unstable masses of protoplasm just barely held together in the shape of a dog. This sort of orokin bullshit is how the infestation got started.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
God drat it feels like T4 stuff is incredibly unstable. Last couple days I've only had one successful T4D run out of like 8 attempts, the rest were failed due to Vor not taking damage, Stalker showing up and breaking spawning, and Vor breaking spawning either after being killed, or after he got lost and didn't show up at all.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

"I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Sechura!"

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So what sectors do people usually farm stuff on? I'm looking to group with people (not right now, obviously) and it seems like all the mid/high planets are completely empty.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

vOv posted:

So what sectors do people usually farm stuff on? I'm looking to group with people (not right now, obviously) and it seems like all the mid/high planets are completely empty.

Depends what you're farming, really. I've been using this guide as a reference:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/2er6ul/current_popular_farming_spots/

Kappa on Sedna is pretty good for getting some early levels and it usually has a bunch of parties going. After that, Void and Dark Sectors.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kyte posted:

The launcher ammo thing had been suggested by the forums for months. My guess is they just gave people what they wanted and didn't bother thinking further than that.
It shut them up fairly effectively, even.
Oh, so it's not even DE logic, it's forum logic. :doh:

I'll never understand people who want to nerf their own drat game for everyone.
This is beautiful.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

CrashCat posted:

Oh, so it's not even DE logic, it's forum logic. :doh:

I'll never understand people who want to nerf their own drat game for everyone.
Some people just want to watch the world burn and are willing to supply the gasoline.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
launcher ammo is almost meaningless. you'd need even less to make it truly matter.

and eliminate ammo mutation mods.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Akoogly Eyes posted:

Depends what you're farming, really. I've been using this guide as a reference:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/2er6ul/current_popular_farming_spots/

Kappa on Sedna is pretty good for getting some early levels and it usually has a bunch of parties going. After that, Void and Dark Sectors.

Putting the content of that link (or an approximation thereof) in the OP or second post somewhere for clueless fucks like myself would be :krad:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Holy poo poo, the Prova Vandal copters amazingly well.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
In slight response to this:

OpinionCushion posted:

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with the damage thing if you're getting one-shot at lower mob levels, but you have to be in a Shock Eximus's aura for a certain amount of time before you get disrupted. If you move in and out of the aura range or kill them fast enough, you won't be affected by it.

Good news, guys! I figured out what it was that kept getting me suddenly killed in Orokin Void Towers seemingly regardless of enemy level!

Apparently, Corpus throw grenades.

Turns out I just had an odd irrational fear of Shock Eximus because of incidental occurrences involving seeing the purple aura on me and then suddenly dying from full HP, when I'm fully aware of how much damage a single bullet does to me across a wide spectrum of enemy levels. Instead, it's just these Corrupted Corpus throwing what I can only assume are totally invisible nuclear bombs that have a special affinity for targeting me because I swear I've never seen anything to so much as tip off the idea of a Corpus grenade.

:downsgun:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Yeah both Grineer and Corpus toss plasma grenades every now and then. They explode with a characteristic sound effect and blue fire.

They are also very prone to being missed in the middle of the firefight and there's no further indication of their existence after the enemy throws them.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
They're also generally harmless, because when would you ever stay in the same place for more than two seconds?

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Prob been close to a year since I played this game. So much catching up to do but I gotta do it. I need that nyx prime so bad

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Goddamn max range Disarm Loki with Amprex is great for soloing defence.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I haven't played this since Oberto came out, is the game still growing in players and are there any meaningful changes?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Wheeee posted:

I haven't played this since Oberto came out, is the game still growing in players and are there any meaningful changes?

Yes and yes.

General UI overhaul happened; good and bad. Melee redesign happened, and melee is awesome now. PvP redesign happened, and still mostly sucks. New players now get a huge tutorial that gives them basic mods and a simple learner's version of every map type.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

ullerrm posted:

Yes and yes.

General UI overhaul happened; good and bad. Melee redesign happened, and melee is awesome now. PvP redesign happened, and still mostly sucks. New players now get a huge tutorial that gives them lovely basic mods and a simple learner's version of most map types.

Fixed a few problems for you.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Seriously, don't make me lose my poo poo again about the damaged mods. They're a loving good thing, and while they aren't the ideal scenario for introducing a player to the game, they will carry you well without loving you over in the long run.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

DelphiAegis posted:

Seriously, don't make me lose my poo poo again about the damaged mods. They're a loving good thing, and while they aren't the ideal scenario for introducing a player to the game, they will carry you well without loving you over in the long run.
Yeah, when you have nothing they're a good boost for the early going. Obviously if you have friends to do all the work and get you better poo poo you're gonna discard them quickly, but it's a start at least.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So why aren't they just regular versions of those mods?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

vOv posted:

Because gently caress you that's why - Love, DE.

I would hate them less if the game would stop loving giving them to me; the drop tables are saturated as it is, let's throw more horseshit into the pile! Every time I get rid of all the broken mods shoved into my inventory, five more show up.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 28, 2014

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

vOv posted:

Larger boost w/fewer points used, but with a lower cap. Easier to get going with.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Because gently caress you that's why - Love, DE.

I would hate them less if the game would stop loving giving them to me; the drop tables are saturated as it is, let's throw more horseshit into the pile! Every time I get rid of all the broken mods shoved into my inventory, five more show up.

The gently caress? Damaged mods literally never drop outside tutorial missions. I haven't gotten a single damaged mod since I finished it.

Magus42 posted:

Larger boost w/fewer points used, but with a lower cap. Easier to get going with.

Actually they give less bang for more buck.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Kyte posted:

Actually they give less bang for more buck.

Actually, actually there are at least 2 (I think it's 3, but can't remember off the top of my head), different types of damaged mods. Some give less stats per level than the regular mods, while some simply have a lower cap.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Kyte posted:

The gently caress? Damaged mods literally never drop outside tutorial missions. I haven't gotten a single damaged mod since I finished it.

Then where the gently caress are they coming from?! :psyduck: I know for a fact I've fused away the broken Serration half a dozen times and it keeps coming back.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

There are three types of damaged mod:

1. Lower cost, max rank 3, lower bonus per level. Serration is the most notable example here, as a maxed out damaged Serration (rank 3, 5 points, 40% damage bonus) will beat out an equivalent cost non-damaged Serration (rank 1, 5 points, 30% damage bonus). Obviously this is only useful for the first few levels of a piece of equipment, but it is useful.

2. Max rank 3, lower bonus per level. A good example here is Vitality, and yes, this type of damaged mod is crap if you have a non-damaged version available. Thankfully, non-damaged versions of these tend to be common as dirt.

3. Max rank 3, otherwise unchanged. Apparently these exist, but I don't think I've ever seen one. Could be mildly useful if you just wanted an unranked copy of something to keep around for some reason, I guess.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

There are three types of damaged mod:

1. Lower cost, max rank 3, lower bonus per level. Serration is the most notable example here, as a maxed out damaged Serration (rank 3, 5 points, 40% damage bonus) will beat out an equivalent cost non-damaged Serration (rank 1, 5 points, 30% damage bonus). Obviously this is only useful for the first few levels of a piece of equipment, but it is useful.

2. Max rank 3, lower bonus per level. A good example here is Vitality, and yes, this type of damaged mod is crap if you have a non-damaged version available. Thankfully, non-damaged versions of these tend to be common as dirt.

3. Max rank 3, otherwise unchanged. Apparently these exist, but I don't think I've ever seen one. Could be mildly useful if you just wanted an unranked copy of something to keep around for some reason, I guess.

And since they're all max rank 3, you use about 10 cores total completely maxing them, so they are not a loving huge money sink. I know people think Serration is a huge money sink and tend to associate that with the damaged version, but the bottom line is that the money sink only comes in when you're past rank6 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Playing Destiny has pretty much made me want to play Warframe instead and I figure I'll go back into grinding out Serration and trying to get a Hammer Shot.

Is that still the recommended path to glory with a Soma?

Oh, my Vanguard Helmet for my Rhino is now an Arcane Vanguard Helmet and I think that means the speed bonus is gone, right? Because my Rhino still feels fast as hell, even with Iron Skin on.