Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Mukaikubo posted:

It would be really helpful if they'd release the Chart Of Doom with a log axis so we could visually see just how close the outbreak's staying to strictly exponential growth.
Looks pretty close to me

e:(this was done quickly and without any real effort from the wiki tables; no guarantee of accuracy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mukaikubo posted:

It would be really helpful if they'd release the Chart Of Doom with a log axis so we could visually see just how close the outbreak's staying to strictly exponential growth.

There's one maintained on wikipedia:

:thumbsup:

E: beaten

If ebola was a commodity, I'd buy now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The worst case of 1.5 million total cases by January assumes no intervention, realistically I think the middle scenario is most likely.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

etalian posted:

The worst case of 1.5 million total cases by January assumes no intervention, realistically I think the middle scenario is most likely.

If the current count of 6000 cases is actually doubling every 20 days, we will have 400k cases by the end of January, but if it is really 14 days then we will see 3 million cases by the end of January (or 1.5 billion with 7 day doubling)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pillowpants posted:

It's worth noting on the chart I keep posting (Because My Imaginary GF asked for it) that "New Listings" have shot up to over 100 per day in the last week after hovering around 60-70 for two weeks, in Sierra Leone. I tried to keep the same tally for Liberia, but they're not posting SitReps much anymore.

They are very insightful graphs which allow one to tell of discrepencies in reporting.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0HM0K920140927?irpc=932

More bad news from Liberia. Situations like this are indicative of EVD worsening in the region; members of government, despite what some may say, are still human.

E:

I've seen a doctor in Sierra Leone's emergency operations centre hint that the numbers reported are only for one district. Now that is an insightful, and scary, thought.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
How likely/unlikely is this to basically become the next Black Death/Spanish Flu of the 21st century? Given the rate of infection and inevitable spread.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

SkySteak posted:

How likely/unlikely is this to basically become the next Black Death/Spanish Flu of the 21st century? Given the rate of infection and inevitable spread.

I'm not medical professional, but I see the worldwide problem being an economic depression when this spreads to a country with mostly white or Asian people in it and everyone freaks out.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
New WHO Roadmap is out:

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/135029/1/roadmapupdate26sept14_eng.pdf?ua=1

Read the color coding at the last page, count how many green 'S's there are

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

hobbesmaster posted:

Tenure basically means you have to go to the very top to be fired.

I know this is a bit of a derail, but the spokesman quote I was referring to a tenured professor committing mass murder and them not doing anything?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mitztronic posted:

I know this is a bit of a derail, but the spokesman quote I was referring to a tenured professor committing mass murder and them not doing anything?

Its a political issue, what with the attention paid to Salaita. They want to fire him, they would normally fire him; however, due to the Salaita issue, they can't take the risk of firing him at this time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SkySteak posted:

Likelihood of global epidemic: pretty much zero.

Likelihood of being the Black Death for West Africa? Higher than anyone would like. Especially Africans.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its a political issue, what with the attention paid to Salaita. They want to fire him, they would normally fire him; however, due to the Salaita issue, they can't take the risk of firing him at this time.

It's crazy- I have colleagues defending this guy's "academic freedom" on facebook. He fabricated sources in the column, and includes his status and university affiliation in the byline.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

New WHO Roadmap is out:

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/135029/1/roadmapupdate26sept14_eng.pdf?ua=1

Read the color coding at the last page, count how many green 'S's there are

It's weird how many of them are in regions that are supposedly not even dealing with the disease at the moment. That might be related to the fact that other deadly infectious diseases are largely going untreated now, and diagnosis and autopsy are unavailable for the sick and recently deceased.

The section on health care workers really stood out to me. So far, 184 HCWs have died in Liberia; apparently, before this happened, there were only about 1300 HCWs in the country (51 doctors; 978 nurses and midwives; 269 pharmacists, according to http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29324595). It's quite possible that not all those dead were Liberian (most, surely, were) but if nothing else it means Liberian healthcare has been decimated.

It also lends credence to problems with reporting. From the numbers - just over 1 doctor per 100,000 population - most Liberians probably only knew about doctors from rumors. Now, with reports of nurses on strike, it seems plausible that in Liberia the healthcare infrastructure has degraded from woefully inadequate to practically nonexistent.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ma i married a tuna posted:

It's weird how many of them are in regions that are supposedly not even dealing with the disease at the moment. That might be related to the fact that other deadly infectious diseases are largely going untreated now, and diagnosis and autopsy are unavailable for the sick and recently deceased.

The section on health care workers really stood out to me. So far, 184 HCWs have died in Liberia; apparently, before this happened, there were only about 1300 HCWs in the country (51 doctors; 978 nurses and midwives; 269 pharmacists, according to http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29324595). It's quite possible that not all those dead were Liberian (most, surely, were) but if nothing else it means Liberian healthcare has been decimated.

It also lends credence to problems with reporting. From the numbers - just over 1 doctor per 100,000 population - most Liberians probably only knew about doctors from rumors. Now, with reports of nurses on strike, it seems plausible that in Liberia the healthcare infrastructure has degraded from woefully inadequate to practically nonexistent.

The plan for 2015 is to train 500 HCWs/month in Liberia. Capacity to do so is under construction and won't be fully and efficiently operational until January.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
This explains why the cases appear to be slowing down in Guinea

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/09/guinea-residents-refusing-ebola-treatment-201492751955453636.html

quote:

Residents of the Guinean capital Conakry, hit hard by Ebola, say they are afraid to seek treatment at hospitals for fear of being poisoned by doctors, as the death toll across West Africa passed the 3,000 mark.

Local resident Tairu Diallo said on Friday that people living in his neighbourhood refused to seek medical help and instead stayed at home, trying to alleviate their symptoms with drugs bought at a pharmacy.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Sad as it is, that may actually help in the long run: In Liberia people have been ferrying the sick by taxi all over Monrovia trying to find beds that did not exist in hospitals that were overburdened. People remaining home are essentially in self-imposed quarantine. Their chances of survival are bad, but their chances of propagating the virus further are low as well. It may be the best hope for Guinea to finally end the outbreak locally, because they need to face the fact that timely international help is not in the cards.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It really feels like we're looking at whole governments eventually collapsing in West Africa before enough help can be trained.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mukaikubo posted:

They do

:suicide:

E: oops didnt see this page

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Do you have the one projected out to January on hand? It continues with something like, 10,000; 20,000; 50,000; 100,000; 200,000; 500,000; 1,000,000; 2,000,000

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Now, show me a graph with 17% weekly growth.

http://www.usaid.gov/ebola/fy14/fs07

E: Back-of-hand calculation: 44,695,966 cases.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 27, 2014

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

It's following the lines :stare:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

Many Guineans say local and foreign healthcare workers are part of a conspiracy which either deliberately introduced the outbreak, or invented it as a means of luring Africans to clinics to harvest their blood and organs.

It would be interesting to know what they think said "conspiracy" is going to do with blood and organs saturated with Ebola, especially seeing as many of the infected probably weren't in peak condition before they contracted the virus. Did conspiracy theories like these exist before the current outbreak in connection with more mundane ailments (eg: "If you go to the hospital for malaria they will steal your organs!")?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 27, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kopijeger posted:

It would be interesting to know what they think said "conspiracy" is going to do with blood and organs saturated with Ebola, especially seeing as many of the infected probably wasn't in peak condition before they contracted the virus. Did conspiracy theories like these exist before the current outbreak in connection with more mundane ailments (eg: "If you go to the hospital for malaria they will steal your organs!")?

Yes. There have been cases of organized organ harvesting and smuggling operations in the region. Its an issue, and not an irrational fear.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mitztronic posted:

If the provost, president and board of trustees or whatever equivalent wants him out he's out. Tenure is about making it hard to fire someone, not impossible. This would be a good case, but a bunch of people at the top of the university would have to agree.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
New report up, on needs and requirements for the outbreak:

https://docs.unocha.org/sites/dms/CAP/Ebola_outbreak_Sep_2014.pdf

Keynote so far: 2 suspected cases Senegal, 1 suspected case Nigeria

Locations with new cases: Rivers County, Nigeria

E:

A firm number on PPE requirements: 7 sets per patient per day.

"WHO estimates up to seven flights per month for foreign medical evacuation will be needed" -- How many has September had?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 28, 2014

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

If the provost, president and board of trustees or whatever equivalent wants him out he's out. Tenure is about making it hard to fire someone, not impossible. This would be a good case, but a bunch of people at the top of the university would have to agree.

Yeah, but another university is taking a lot of poo poo for firing/unhiring a dude for one or two Tweets about I/P, so I think these guys are hoping it blows over and they don't get more pushback.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

My Imaginary GF posted:

A firm number on PPE requirements: 7 sets per patient per day.

Would hiring survivors as medical assistants help reduce their amount of protective equipment needed? Or does doing so cause people outside quarantine to get infected more easily?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

tentative8e8op posted:

Would hiring survivors as medical assistants help reduce their amount of protective equipment needed? Or does doing so cause non-helpers to get infected more easily?

WHO staff requirements based on 20,000 caseload: 656.

Estimated tons of equipment per month for 20,000 caseload: 3,242

Monthly airtravel from 3 infected countries to Europe: 81,000

This is why I say WHO's response has been inept: it is far too conservative for the reality on the ground. See also the Lancet editorial I linked a few posts back.

E: Oh hey, CDC is developing a 'National Ebola Contingency Plan'

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 28, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

My Imaginary GF posted:

New report up, on needs and requirements for the outbreak:

https://docs.unocha.org/sites/dms/CAP/Ebola_outbreak_Sep_2014.pdf

Keynote so far: 2 suspected cases Senegal, 1 suspected case Nigeria

Locations with new cases: Rivers County, Nigeria

Sounds like one of the doctor's contacts (other than his wife) finally became symptomatic. So that number will probably grow then.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Cuba says it will send nearly 300 more doctors and nurses to West Africa to help fight the Ebola epidemic.

The Cubans will work in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia, Regla Angulo, head of the Cuban medical relief agency, said in a statement on Friday.

The announcement means that up to 461 Cuban medical personnel would have been sent to help address the epidemic spreading across West Africa.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/09/cuba-sends-300-more-doctors-fight-ebola-201492692422678186.html

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Sad as it is, that may actually help in the long run: In Liberia people have been ferrying the sick by taxi all over Monrovia trying to find beds that did not exist in hospitals that were overburdened. People remaining home are essentially in self-imposed quarantine. Their chances of survival are bad, but their chances of propagating the virus further are low as well. It may be the best hope for Guinea to finally end the outbreak locally, because they need to face the fact that timely international help is not in the cards.

Well, yeah, the person themselves is in quarantine, but they're still transmitting disease to people who aren't in quarantine.

Random family members are not trained or equipped to handle highly infectious diseases. And the people who think it's just doctors trying to poison them seem especially unlikely to be properly wary of possible transmission and early symptoms and so on.

On the last page a chart gave the reproduction number as 0.12 for proper treatment in hospital, 0.18 for isolated treatment at home, or 1.8 for non-isolated treatment at home. So potentially those people could be infecting roughly 10-15x as many people as if they were properly treated. For the record 1.8 is about what a pandemic strain of flu would have. Maybe even a bit higher.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 28, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...b92f_story.html

MONROVIA, Liberia — While the terrifying spread of Ebola has captured the world’s attention, it also has produced a lesser-known crisis: the near-collapse of the already fragile health-care system here, a development that may be as dangerous — for now — as the virus for the average Liberian.

Western experts said that people here are dying of preventable or treatable conditions such as malaria, diarrhea, pneumonia and the effects of high blood pressure and diabetes, such as strokes. Where services do exist, Ebola has complicated the effort to provide them by stoking fear among health-care workers, who sometimes turn away sick people or women in labor if they can’t determine whether the patient is infected. And some people, health-care workers said, will not seek care, fearful that they will become infected with Ebola at a clinic or hospital.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Cuba says it will send nearly 300 more doctors and nurses to West Africa to help fight the Ebola epidemic.

The Cubans will work in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia, Regla Angulo, head of the Cuban medical relief agency, said in a statement on Friday.

The announcement means that up to 461 Cuban medical personnel would have been sent to help address the epidemic spreading across West Africa.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/09/cuba-sends-300-more-doctors-fight-ebola-201492692422678186.html

Aren't most Cuban doctors basically trained to the level of a US EMT-P? I could be easily wrong about this, but I've heard that before.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

suboptimal posted:

Aren't most Cuban doctors basically trained to the level of a US EMT-P? I could be easily wrong about this, but I've heard that before.

No, they're quite well trained. Their access to medicine and equipment on the other hand, that'll often be closer to what you'd have available to the paramedics in a standard ambulance than what a doc might have access to at a full hospital.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

suboptimal posted:

Cuban doctors are world-renowned. The equipment will be an issue, as mentioned.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

WHO staff requirements based on 20,000 caseload: 656.

EH, you leave off a couple of zeros? At 230 health care workers needed for a 70 bed facility the staff requirements for 20,000 cases would 65,714.

Last I saw in the NY Times only 1,600 are pledged, and they probably won't all be in place until November. :(

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Likelihood of global epidemic: pretty much zero.

Likelihood of being the Black Death for West Africa? Higher than anyone would like. Especially Africans.

Look on the bright side: it probably won't be as bad as contact-era smallpox in the Americas :smithicide:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So uh, look at the Press Release on this update:

http://health.gov.sl/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Ebola-Update-September-19-2014.pdf

Oops. Thats a bit of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

So uh, look at the Press Release on this update:

http://health.gov.sl/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Ebola-Update-September-19-2014.pdf

Oops. Thats a bit of a problem.

The confirmed death's have dropped below five hundred is the first thing I noticed :rolleyes:, but yeah, that press release is a doozy! :staredog:

quote:

The Incident Management Committee of the Emergency Operations Centre(EOC)have received information that some volunteers who were trained for the three days stay at home “Ose to Ose Ebola Tok” were replaced by family members and friends of the District Health Management Team (DHMT)staff in the Western Area.

The EOC is encouraging volunteers who have been victims of such to report to the EOC for appropriate action

• Locked thread