Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Wark Say posted:

Lay it on me, wiser goons: Did you managed to enjoy the anime just the same even after experiencing the manga? Should I venture into enjoying this sweet piece of comedy in black and white 4-koma?

Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Wark Say posted:

Lay it on me, wiser goons: Did you managed to enjoy the anime just the same even after experiencing the manga? Should I venture into enjoying this sweet piece of comedy in black and white 4-koma?

I think I've said this a lot in the thread, but it bears repeating: Yes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Read the loving mango people.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the first 12 chapters or so have a pretty bad translation. So if that's not your thing, the anime covered those pretty well while excising a few jokes here and there.

Another group picked up the manga afterwards, so everything from 12 on is fine.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Taniguchi Jun'ichirou, the character designer and animation supervisor for the Nozaki anime, put up his weekly Nozaki illustration anyway:

"Thanks for watching Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun! 1 season was not enough! >_< I want to work on season 2 soon! Keep on cheering for us!"

https://twitter.com/syaorin_2009/status/516189795765063680

Also, Seo is still the best.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I am sad that I discovered Nozaki-kun on episode 10 so there wasn't much left for me to see after watching up to that point. I read through the manga though and it's just as fun I think. Though now I'm stuck waiting for new chapters of it too. :nyoron:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Got around to watching the last episode. Do they explain why Nozaki is covered in bandages during the flashback? If it's not explained I'll just assume "swarm of cats."

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

StandardVC10 posted:

Got around to watching the last episode. Do they explain why Nozaki is covered in bandages during the flashback? If it's not explained I'll just assume "swarm of cats."

They're pads and compresses for muscle aches from sleep deprivation. Something like IcyHot patches.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Seeing Ken-san react to Nozaki's continuing desire to have some more action in his manga was great. Poor guy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nondevor posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the first 12 chapters or so have a pretty bad translation. So if that's not your thing, the anime covered those pretty well while excising a few jokes here and there.

Another group picked up the manga afterwards, so everything from 12 on is fine.

Isn't there a legal way to read this online? Like with Nichibros?

e: vvvv I meant in Japanese. vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 29, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wark Say posted:

I haven't heard of it being licensed just yet. Wouldn't be surprised if someone's trying at least, with how well the anime did though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Wark Say posted:

e: vvvv I meant in Japanese. vvvv

Yep, right here.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sweet! Now I can enjoy the dorkiness while on the bus! :allears:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Reading the manga gives me the deepest sympathies to Ken-san. Dude has to worst luck. Especially when his annoying co-worker was also the annoying classmate he went to high school with and all of that stress makes him gain weight.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

nftyw posted:

Seeing Ken-san react to Nozaki's continuing desire to have some more action in his manga was great. Poor guy.

I love that he still managed to slip in a "Suzuki-kun.... :swoon:" I think Nozaki is a little too good at shoujo manga.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
A new chapter, in which Waka and Seo remain the best couple.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

dordreff posted:

Dude, you gotta stop polishing those balls!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would totally read a manga about alternate Waka and alternate Seo. They are the best alternate characters.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That was a pretty clever localization on that last bit. I didn't notice till they pointed it out, but pretty neat regardless.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I'm only 3 episodes in and this show is fun as hell, hilarious too.

Thank god for that OP otherwise I'd never have checked this out.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Allarion posted:

That was a pretty clever localization on that last bit. I didn't notice till they pointed it out, but pretty neat regardless.

Honestly, I think they read way too much into someone writing "suki" in katakana...

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

John Carstairs posted:

Honestly, I think they read way too much into someone writing "suki" in katakana...

The kanji for it is super basic though, I have never seen a manga that didn't use it except when stuttering. Also it's an awesome joke :haw:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Sales numbers are out for most summer show vol 1s now. Nozaki sold a lot more than I'd expected, and one of the highest comedy numbers I can remember ever seeing.

18,971 Free! - Eternal Summer
13,836 Persona 4 the Golden
11,776 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
9,204 Kuroshitsuji - Book of Circus
8,293 Aldnoah Zero
5,711 Barakamon

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Sales numbers are out for most summer show vol 1s now. Nozaki sold a lot more than I'd expected, and one of the highest comedy numbers I can remember ever seeing.

18,971 Free! - Eternal Summer
13,836 Persona 4 the Golden
11,776 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
9,204 Kuroshitsuji - Book of Circus
8,293 Aldnoah Zero
5,711 Barakamon

13,835 people watched Persona 4 the Golden and thought "Yes, this is worth money".

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
The real question is, how does its sales numbers compare to Haikyuu?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Omniphile posted:

The real question is, how does its sales numbers compare to Haikyuu?

Not sure how Haikyuu comes into it, but the first volume of Haikyuu sold 24,711 copies in its first week (rising to 34,065 over time).

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I would totally read a manga about alternate Waka and alternate Seo. They are the best alternate characters.

I would too. It's amazing how Nozaki can actually make the couple workable in his manga; the second to last page got me really badly...

Nozaki and Seo work surprisingly well when they're together in scenes.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Man, now I want Chiyo to see (the real) Seo and Wakamatsu interact just for what her reaction would be.

Also, remember: Seo is Seo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Man, now I want Chiyo to see (the real) Seo and Wakamatsu interact just for what her reaction would be.
Ah, shy boy!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dordreff posted:

The oblivious pair of Nozaki and Seo doing stuff together is fantastic.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Oh yeah, apparently the BDs come with some extra animated content covering part of chapter 45 (aka the beginning of the beach arc).

I don't think anyone has subbed them though.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 30, 2014

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

DoubleDonut posted:

She saw them together during the beach arc.

This series is great! Put me down as another fan of Waka and Seo!

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice

Nondevor posted:

Oh yeah, apparently the BDs come with some extra animated content covering part of chapter 45 (aka the beginning of the beach arc).

I don't think anyone has subbed them though.

I just watched this, so someone has subbed it, I wanna see the rest of the arc sooo badly though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Some twitter dude has posted a series of "Nozaki and Chiyo 5-6 years later" strips that are pretty funny. Here's an album. Maybe there are translations floating around somewhere.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Those were pretty good. Thank you for the link. It makes me feel bad for Sakura all over again to consider how I could really see that happening to those two.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Speaking of fanart, Gigi D.G., author of Cucumber Quest, posted this yesterday:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Robert Denby posted:

I really love the facial expressions he (she? I have no idea) draws, and they fit the characters really well here.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Robert Denby posted:

That Hori and Kashima are great!

Also, this manga owns and I really hope we get a second anime season sometime.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Yuko Ota of Johnny Wander fame seems to also be a fan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Just watched the entire series over the weekend, I really hope it gets a second season too but I guess I'll make do with the manga.
Seo is amazing but I think Kashima was my favorite character.