Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
See you later, Space Cowboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I liked the episode. I'm glad I clicked on this thread on a whim and watched this series.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I really hope they get to do a follow-up someday.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
So, is it important that Dandy says that it is all about the leg because I thought he originally said it was the booty.

So, is the universe slightly different now? Is this one of many possible universes? I'm guessing Dandy somehow remembers what happened

Either way, great show. Don't fully understand it all the two red and blue dragon things near the end fighting the liberty ship but hey it was fun.

Cosmic String Bang!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Stay dandy baby,

what better way to go out with a bang....

Spectacle Rock posted:

So, is it important that Dandy says that it is all about the leg because I thought he originally said it was the booty.

So, is the universe slightly different now? Is this one of many possible universes? I'm guessing Dandy somehow remembers what happened

Either way, great show. Don't fully understand it all the two red and blue dragon things near the end fighting the liberty ship but hey it was fun.

Cosmic String Bang!

Leggins + booty = heaven.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Not understanding what happens is one of the central themes of Space Dandy.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, that was just amazing. I really hope we get another season somehow sometime.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Adios, Dandy.

Way to out-Gurren Lagann Gurren Lagann.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I really love this loving stupid show.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Man, that was just amazing. I really hope we get another season somehow sometime.

Maybe a comic or something.

Wait, wasn't there a Cowboy Bebop manga that ran for a bit after the show?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

IMO this could be me, but Dandy refuting god hood and going back to "normal matter" tops any 'bang'

Sorry spike, in my book you got out done.

Cerony posted:

Maybe a comic or something.

Wait, wasn't there a Cowboy Bebop manga that ran for a bit after the show?

CB had a movie a year or two after the anime ended because sales figures reflected $$.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Honestly the thing with the dragons might not mean anything in particular; its an homage to one of the most well-known and loved fx animations among anime animator circles (the Kanada dragon). We've heard from some of the staff who worked on it that a lot of the action wasn't storyboarded and the animators were allowed to do what they wanted.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Anime of the year.

gently caress literally everything else that aired this year and will air this year.

(Jojo doesn't count because it's not gonna end til next year.)

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

aers posted:

We've heard from some of the staff who worked on it that a lot of the action wasn't storyboarded and the animators were allowed to do what they wanted.
Definetly got that vibe from the Mini-Aloha-Oe making its way through the planet.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

I will miss this dumb show.

Dandy will always be a person that holds true to his namesake.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
The guys at Toonami made a goodbye video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9lp7setAq8

bondster
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Anime of the year.

gently caress literally everything else that aired this year and will air this year.

(Jojo doesn't count because it's not gonna end til next year.)

Yea with the rest of Jojo not airing until 2015 I can safely say that Space Dandy is my anime of year.

Hot drat that was a fun ride.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Dandy. :(

That was a great finale. Goddamn it why can't they make more.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Space Dandy is great and will be missed :( At least it ended well. What a great ride.

I'm fine with it ending here because there's been a lot of things ruined by unnecessary sequels / extensions lately.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 28, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, if it has to end here, at least it's in a good place.

Farewell Dandy, you will be missed.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm reminded of World's End confrontation with the Network. Someone needs to gif Cosmic Dandy kicking the god-chair.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Squidster posted:

I'm reminded of World's End confrontation with the Network. Someone needs to gif Cosmic Dandy kicking the god-chair.

Not mine.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
An excellent ending to an excellent series, as an overall package I would say that space dandy is my anime of the year followed by kill la kill. But space dandy definitely wins as an overall amazing show.

IshmaelNemo
May 14, 2013
Seafaring magician.
I think Space Dandy is the only show in a long time I've actually watched (well, DVR'd) from start to finish. I appreciated the return of the original jazzy theme for the finale. That sure was quite the ride.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zorak posted:

Space Dandy is great and will be missed :( At least it ended well. What a great ride.

I'm fine with it ending here because there's been a lot of things ruined by unnecessary sequels / extensions lately.

Yeah outside of a one-off movie or something I'd rather have fond memories of Dandy.

Instead I'd love to see another project in a similar vein where they grab a large variety of talented people and have them make whatever. Watanabe did a great job at coordinating this stuff and hopefully someday he'll get the opportunity to do it again.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Space Dandy was some of the most fun I've ever had watching anime or any other tv show for that matter. Not knowing what to expect beyond the episode preview every week made me so eager for Toonami each time. I've said it after pretty much every episode but I can't wait for the box set to come out so I can show people the craziness that was this show. Favorite new anime in a long time.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Srice posted:

Yeah outside of a one-off movie or something I'd rather have fond memories of Dandy.

Instead I'd love to see another project in a similar vein where they grab a large variety of talented people and have them make whatever. Watanabe did a great job at coordinating this stuff and hopefully someday he'll get the opportunity to do it again.

Yeah agreed, I'd love for more things like Dandy, though I get the feeling these sort of things are too expensive for little financial benefit since they don't appeal to a core otaku demographic. I mean, is Dandy doing particularly well in the US even?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zorak posted:

Yeah agreed, I'd love for more things like Dandy, though I get the feeling these sort of things are too expensive for little financial benefit since they don't appeal to a core otaku demographic. I mean, is Dandy doing particularly well in the US even?

Looks like it was doing around a million viewers each week and was pretty much always in the top three for Toonami. Before getting pushed back to 12:30 it looks like it was going at close to 1.5 million a week.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

Looks like it was doing around a million viewers each week and was pretty much always in the top three for Toonami.

Oh dang, that's legit then. Wasn't paying attention enough to any coverage on their ratings.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zorak posted:

If it's not, I'll definitely punch as many nerds as it takes to make it popular.

Overall, the finale was good, but... I guess I feel the last two episodes kind of suffered from not having enough... well, Dandy. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I don't have a strong feeling for Dandy's friends as a unit. I mean, Meow and QT's feature episodes were some of my favorites from the series as a whole, but that's not what I was getting here.

That said, turning down godhood because he wouldn't get to go to Boobies' anymore is pretty much peak Dandy.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Overall, the finale was good, but... I guess I feel the last two episodes kind of suffered from not having enough... well, Dandy. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I don't have a strong feeling for Dandy's friends as a unit. I mean, Meow and QT's feature episodes were some of my favorites from the series as a whole, but that's not what I was getting here.

That said, turning down godhood because he wouldn't get to go to Boobies' anymore is pretty much peak Dandy.

I think this is my feeling, but I have a sense that whenever I get around to rewatching the series I'll like the finale better.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Ha, didnt realize each thing in the credits was a scene from an old episode

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Gyges posted:

Looks like it was doing around a million viewers each week and was pretty much always in the top three for Toonami. Before getting pushed back to 12:30 it looks like it was going at close to 1.5 million a week.

Dandy was the highest grossing views aside from AoT. Problem is revenue for bones was not a great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

If it's not, I'll definitely punch as many nerds as it takes to make it popular.

Honestly I never thought the core trio did that great a job of carrying the show. I think if Scarlet or Honey started travelling around with them they might've helped pick up the slack a little bit.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly I never thought the core trio did that great a job of carrying the show. I think if Scarlet or Honey started travelling around with them they might've helped pick up the slack a little bit.
Nah, you'd just have had two straight men. QT was already the token logical thinker frustrated with the wackiness of the other two, and so there would have been overlap in comedy roles.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Squidster posted:

Nah, you'd just have had two straight men. QT was already the token logical thinker frustrated with the wackiness of the other two, and so there would have been overlap in comedy roles.

Honey wasn't really much of a straight man, you have a good point wrt Scarlet though.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Tumblr, you sons of bitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmd1qMN5Yo0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

IMO this could be me, but Dandy refuting god hood and going back to "normal matter" tops any 'bang'

Sorry spike, in my book you got out done.

Dandy's ending was perfect, but to be fair Cowboy Bebop had way more side stories and continuity, there was no way to end it in a satisfactory way. I remember getting killed by Faye's side story reaching no conclusion whatsoever, but in retrospect there wasn't anywhere to go with it once the series reached it's end. Making everyone mad with a Sopranos sort of ending was really the only choice.

• Locked thread