Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Regeneration. Effective physical immortality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jumplegs forever. Not even particularly athletic, I just think being able to go "Nope, going over it" would be neat.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

quote:

[6:08:42 PM] Yasahiro: Adrenal Neurosympathy... Honestly, it only makes sense if you are a leader or you have to get people pumped. Get them hyped.

Second Heart is useful but situationally, unless I use it to its fullest extent. Like, instead of just relying on it as a backup, rely on it like extension... Hm. More oxygenated blood, maybe?

Bioelectric Skin would be nice, but Mimetic Skin... Bitch, let's be Predator... But I am not sure how it would work regularly since armor and clothes wouldn't adapt, and it isn't perfect invisibility so just going naked... I might get arrested, eh?

Jumpy legs, best parkour, but it can be overall muscle fiber density. Since if it's overall thing. I would use it to its fullest. Like I said, Adaptive Bone Marrow though.... Think about it this way.

Adaptive Bone Marrow, not only you have a healing factor but, you can rest less between trainings... Hell, possibly the torn or such muscle fibers would be fixing themselves AS YOU TRAIN other stuff. So it allows for faster and better training of muscles, while also you being able to heal yourself

Muscle Fiber Density already gives enhanced leg strength and stuff, possibly would affect rest of body but not sure. So no need to train to reach that level, but Adaptive Bone Marrow guy has a chance to get better than the Muscle Fiber Density guy.

Hyper Reactive Pupils... I'd say yes, but I don't use things that would have it a lot. Depth Perception, however, would fix any problems with eyes one would have, Perfect Vision, guys.

And the Neural Feedback... No way to use it here. Neural Damping possibly could help with anxiety and stress issues, as it provides immunity to panic attacks and mind control

Well a friend of mine wanted to chime in on the poll with uses for the various things. Frankly I'd just go for the bone marrow. Most of them wouldn't be that useful in everyday life for me, but it seems like it'd be the most useful if things somehow went badly.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

If Depth Perception counts as a general vision improvement, I would love to never have to deal with glasses or contacts again.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Zack Ater posted:

If Depth Perception counts as a general vision improvement, I would love to never have to deal with glasses or contacts again.
I thought about that too, but I've become rather attached to my glasses. Think I look better with them. It's weird, if given a choice of these ten things, that would be the first thing I cross off the list, while some people would leap straight for the chance.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Would the bone marrow regeneration cover dental work?

See the previous posts why why I was considering the eyeballs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ghostwoods posted:

Muscle Fiber Density. Because I have auto-immune arthritis, and miss going for long walks. :smith:

Exact same reason, though mine has gotten much better with injectable treatment.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Adaptive Bone Marrow. Faster healing, and better health in general? sign me up!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

As much as I'd love jumpy legs and mimetic skin, probably secondary heart, because of reasons.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I never meant for Watkins to get thrown into the wood chipper as often as it happens in the LP. But I guess it's like 3X3 Eyes: Guy turns immortal, then suddenly gets an enormous string of bad luck that makes him GLAD to be immortal, like being regularly run over by a bus, melted by acid and so on.

Certainly keeps Watkins in circulation and out of the hospital for my convenience.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Speedball posted:

I never meant for Watkins to get thrown into the wood chipper as often as it happens in the LP. But I guess it's like 3X3 Eyes: Guy turns immortal, then suddenly gets an enormous string of bad luck that makes him GLAD to be immortal, like being regularly run over by a bus, melted by acid and so on.

Certainly keeps Watkins in circulation and out of the hospital for my convenience.

Unlike 3x3 eyes, at least Watkins kept his soul, and isn't metaphysically bound to someone :shrug:

(yet)

I should go re-watch that

or read it for the first time.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Krysmphoenix posted:

I thought about that too, but I've become rather attached to my glasses. Think I look better with them. It's weird, if given a choice of these ten things, that would be the first thing I cross off the list, while some people would leap straight for the chance.

Yeah, I can understand that. I suppose I misspoke, it's not really the glasses themselves I dislike. I do actually like them, and do think I look better with them (though, then again, I can barely see myself without wearing them); but I hate having terrible peripheral vision, and being all but blind any time I don't or can't wear my glasses. Contacts help, but I've had (very painful) issues with them before, and don't wear them anymore. Prescription goggles help for one of the most prominent situations I can't wear my glasses for - swimming - but they tend to be expensive or of fairly poor quality.

I'd probably wear non-prescription glasses, though, were my eyesight to be fixed.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Jumplegs. If I could jump a river without getting tired I'd never ride the city bus again. :stonk:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd say depth perception, because I've been stereoblind since birth and want to know what it's like to be able to turn left at a stop sign without being utterly freaked about about how close that car is or isn't. :smith:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

If jumpylegs also fixed my bad knee then it seems like the most fun option.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Jumpylegs would be the most fun, but I'd probably kill myself jumping over my apartment building when I land on my head.

so regeneration it is!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rather Watch Them posted:

Jumplegs. If I could jump a river without getting tired I'd never ride the city bus again. :stonk:

See, I'd still be worried about landing on the other side.

Gimme redundant organs any day.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm of the opinion that the bone marrow is the superior choice. Ability to recover from basically anything? Yeah, sign me up for that.

One thing to consider with these though, is that to have them is to change who you are. Not just physically, but mentally. Having these sorts of extra abilities gives you extra options in any given situation, which means you may choose to make a different choice that old you would not have made. In fact, we can already see the effects of something like that.

Speedball posted:

Watkins keeps getting the poo poo beat out of him, but he survives thanks to his healing factor.

But, Speedball, if he didn't have that healing factor, would you be putting him in those situations at all, or would you be more conservative with his unit?

Because he's capable of surviving more dangerous situations, he gets put in more dangerous situations. Funny that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, was that mission all Thin Men? Really more of a victory lap, isn't it?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Glazius posted:

And two seekers.

It's sad really, that once they're introduced, every mission that isn't a plot mission has two Seekers, like clockwork. No more, no less. Every time.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Part of the reason I joined Something Awful was due to the awesome Let's Plays of the X-Com series. Couldn't read them without an account. I'm glad I did. This LP is especially entertaining.

As for power, I'd pick Bone Marrow. Being able to heal quicker after an injury is always nice.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I had an abduction mission that was just eight seekers once. I had no bioelectric skin. or battle scanners. :suicide:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

Five thin men, three sectoids, two seekers. No mutons this time, but they're still around. We had three Thin Men surrounding, shooting, poisoning and suppressing Cammy, but Lightning Refkexes let us slip out of the suppression and blow two up with Hilda sniping the third. Eva blew up two sectoids and Hilda shot the third. Leroy revealed two seekers and shot one while Cammy hit the other, and this is where bioelectric skin really earned its keep as it makes seekers so much less of an issue.

The last two thin men were in the bookstore, but one took cover ouside as we approached. Dr. Gomez missed her shot but Bar-lev is horiffically accurate and basically hundred percents anything in low cover. Princess's invsibility let her slip inside the building before the last Thin Man could react, and she has Gunslinger which makes basic pistols lethal on Thin Men.

While all that was going on Cammy was taking a well-deserved break by hanging back and getting the last of the meld.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I have to say I would choose bioelectric skin. Having an entirely new sense organ, plus electric-shock skin, would be pretty boss. I've been scuba diving a few times and it's awesome but you're so out of your element it's hard to appreciate everything. Being able to literally feel the life around you... that's the stuff of dreams.

PS that was an excellent update Speedball :)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of The Thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faq5amdK30

spbwf7
Nov 1, 2012
I would have to second the bioelectric skin choice. As a civil engineer, this would be incredibly useful during inspections/checking for defects. Currently, devices (which are typically large and/or unwieldy) are used to achieve what the bioelectric skin does, that is to say, generate an electromagnetic field/current that is run through metallic objects to detect these defects. To be able to do this without said equipment could make field inspection of large metallic structures easier and cheaper, allowing for more frequent analysis of structures that may be suspect, such as steel bridges approaching the end of their design life, or structures damaged by seismic activity, a significant issue here in the US.

Likewise this could be extremely useful for mechanical engineers.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
I'm gonna be the odd one out and go with Adrenal Neurosympathy. I'm going to assume that, if it were a thing in real life, it would trigger off of basically anything that gives you an adrenaline surge or endorphin rush, rather than just from blowing a hole in a Muton. You'd be very fun at parties, concerts, conventions, etc.; everyone there is automatically feeling better if you are. You could be one of the most valuable players of any sporting team, just by virtue of you making everyone else play that much better. And you'd get one hell of a reputation for your sexual prowess.

If we were to go with the assumption that the only biological method of triggering it would be to kill something, then I'll go with Secondary Heart instead. Preferably one that's transplanted from someone else rather than made from my own tissue; I've got a history of heart disease on both sides of the family.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So ideally Adrenal Neurosympathy would mean you'd never need coffee again?

I would enjoy that.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
By the way the person asking the chicken and egg question as far as whether the regen gene mod is causing him to use his Assault more aggressively and thus putting them in situations where they need it, that's just what you do with Assaults and sometimes they get shot to poo poo for it. Assaults are for running into the face of aliens and making them dead regardless of what else they have.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Feinne posted:

By the way the person asking the chicken and egg question as far as whether the regen gene mod is causing him to use his Assault more aggressively and thus putting them in situations where they need it, that's just what you do with Assaults and sometimes they get shot to poo poo for it. Assaults are for running into the face of aliens and making them dead regardless of what else they have.

And sometimes this gamble does not pay off. RIP Allen.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Speedball posted:

I would enjoy that.

Need, no. want, on the other hand.....

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I don't think I'd actually pick it for that reason, but I imagine a Secondary Heart would grant you a (slightly) longer lifespan despite chowing down on Big Macs daily. It wouldn't be GOOD for you, and you'd still be an unhealthy fat gently caress, but if you desperately want to spend a few more years slurping up fried foods a Secondary Heart is probably a good investment.

Also, you know what I'd like to see? A soccer match where everybody has Muscle Fiber Density...and probably some body armor so that trying to stop a ball with your chest doesn't leave a smoking hole in your torso. Shaolin Soccer come to life!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Speedball posted:

I would enjoy that.

I think it's more that so long as you maintain a steady diet of coffee, none of your coworkers will ever need caffeine again.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Neural Dampening. Entirely because I have anxiety issues. If I didn't, jumpylegs 4 evar. :sparkles:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Jumpylegs or Bone Marrow for me. Either would be incredible fun.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Neural Feedback, because it might be fun than my current neurology and even if it isn't it might be less un-fun. v:geno:v

Or mimetic skin if it lets the user choose colors/patterns other than camouflage, to go streaking in technicolor.

There seems to be a pattern among these responses...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

silentsnack posted:

Neural Feedback, because it might be fun than my current neurology and even if it isn't it might be less un-fun. v:geno:v

Or mimetic skin if it lets the user choose colors/patterns other than camouflage, to go streaking in technicolor.

There seems to be a pattern among these responses...

People getting old and broken and wanting to fix it? :corsair:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Bone Marrow, don't really find myself having much use for the rest but some improved healing would be nice. Maybe it'd even cure my diabetes.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

AJ_Impy posted:

Ding ding ding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

AJ_Impy posted:

You probably still age even with regeneration. You might age slower though, because the cellular breakdown is delayed or more efficient.

I'd probably pick regeneration too though, it seems like it would improve your health the most overall.

• Locked thread