Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Likpa is good.

My first reaction was to find it the horrible product of a demented mind. But then it turns out to be about anarcho-syndicalist hippie penis smurfs who speak in an adorably broken English (I'm talking about the clumsy translation work, not the smurf language ripoff) and it ends up being kinda cute. You know, for a comic about penis smurfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
To my mind Octopus Pie is one of the better slice-of-life webcomics around. It can get a bit "silly" sometimes though, which I don't think works as well, but as a look at mid to late 20's life I think it's great. But I'm also fascinated by Likpas _weirdness_ so what do I know.

I'm enjoying the transitional phase the characters are going through at the moment. Mirrors some stuff that is going on in my own life. Sad too, I like the blunt reference in the current page to Hanna and Marek's silly dreams (that 2nd page is slightly NSFW) and Marek's general love of ducks.

I impulse bought Emily Carroll's book Through the Woods when I saw it at a bookstore the other day. Has anyone read it? Not knowing anything about it I assumed it would be republishing the comics on her website, but aside from His Face All Red it's all new stuff. I don't think any of it reaches the highs of His Face All Red or Out Of Skin but its still quite good. Our Neighbors House is the weakest, too uneventful. It's a victim of too great a degree of ambiguity, which is usually what make these stories work. A Lady's Hands Are Cold is good, has a really great dream vibe and more lurid colouring which I really enjoyed. My Friend Janna was ok. The Nesting Place was probably the best of the new stuff, I feel like it was a bit longer and had a much more defined horror element. But my favorite piece was In Conclusion. As a kid I had a real fear of wolves (I'm Australian, it makes absolutely no sense), and the conclusion bought that back up.

It's interesting though, but I preferred His Face All Red as a webcomic. As a whole Emily Carroll's uses experimental page layouts really well. Links in unusual places, differently structured pages. Really taking advantage of the nature of webcomics, in a way that having a defined page size doesn't allow. His Face All Red doesn't do anything too experimental but for instance splitting this page weakens the horror of the descent and for some reason I found that putting this scene and the next on two different pages (over-leaf) was weaker than making me click a link. Not sue why. It also doesn't end nearly as bluntly when you see across the page of the final scene a big white title page for the next story as opposed to clicking on the Next link and getting "by Emily Carroll".

If you like her comics, I recommend checking out Through the Woods. For some reason I'd love to see her do something set in the modern day in her style.

Ruptured Yakety Sax fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 28, 2014

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Was it someone in this thread who suggested Brainchild (http://brainchild.suzannegeary.com)? If so, great call, thanks, if not y'all should read it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cat Mattress posted:

Likpa is good.

My first reaction was to find it the horrible product of a demented mind. But then it turns out to be about anarcho-syndicalist hippie penis smurfs who speak in an adorably broken English (I'm talking about the clumsy translation work, not the smurf language ripoff) and it ends up being kinda cute. You know, for a comic about penis smurfs.

I had to go look and all I can say is

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 28, 2014

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Cat Mattress posted:

Likpa is good.

My first reaction was to find it the horrible product of a demented mind. But then it turns out to be the amazing product of a demented mind.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

fritz posted:

Was it someone in this thread who suggested Brainchild (http://brainchild.suzannegeary.com)? If so, great call, thanks, if not y'all should read it.

yeah that was me.

like i said it looks pretty cool but i feel like its gonna take years to make any significant plot headway with its update schedule so i'm just going to do my best to forget it exists for months at a time

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Meanwhile, in K6BD, the girl picks up a sword.. :getin:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

And it appears to be this one.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meanwhile the beggar knight is still just lounging there with some food in the middle background watching the carnage :allears:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oh boy, Kill Six Billion Demons updated and I could not be happier about the direction it appears to be going.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That alt text is amazing on several levels.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Im gonna read this to the end just so I can see what Allisons boyfriends reaction is to her killing demons and poo poo with a huge rear end sword and no fucks to be given.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Cio and the Gunwitch are still alive so we're still good man, we're still good.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't forget the beggar knight :munch:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I hope my special snowflake Hindu warrior dude survives :ohdear:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You would prefer shameful survival to a glorious death and a thereby exalted reincarnation?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
There was a monk who got a severe haircut at the start of the fight, you may be out of luck!

I hope we're one step closer to this concept because I can't wait.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Don't forget the beggar knight :munch:

When that bowl of noodles is finished things are gonna get serious heaven's gonna get reached through violence.

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!
I hope that the dour green-skinned lady(?) in the red and orange robes is alive. Also the grimacing guy with the big metal fists and shaved head, last seen punching the red-skinned six-armed snake-woman in the skull.

Goddamn even incidental characters have such great designs.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ktzi posted:

I hope that the dour green-skinned lady(?) in the red and orange robes is alive. Also the grimacing guy with the big metal fists and shaved head, last seen punching the red-skinned six-armed snake-woman in the skull.

Goddamn even incidental characters have such great designs.

I'm torn between hoping that Ingvsld's managed to hold onto his head, and hoping that Cio took the time while chasing after Allison to steal his still-living head from his shoulders. Either way, I hope he shows up more.

But yeah, the designs really are amazing, it's fun picking out user submissions; I'm pretty sure that three-floating-skulls-in-blue-flame dude is one of them.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if the dude with a harp for half of his head is one.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
And so we come to the end of Nimona. I can't say I won't miss it, but I can appreciate a comic that knows when to conclude.

Good comic.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hooray, I can finally start reading Nimona! :toot:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gingerhaze posted:

Please stay tuned until May 2015 when NIMONA will be out in print from HarperCollins, including extra pages, sketches, and an exclusive book-only epilogue.

Well, that's one way to guarantee sales :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Renaissance Robot posted:

Hooray, I can finally start reading Nimona! :toot:

You might want to wait for the book actually, since it will have the epilogue and it's a bit of a cliffhanger right now.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Pick posted:

and it's a bit of a cliffhanger right now.

What? That's a perfect ending.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, in Max Overacts, I can't help but notice that this is the second time Max has found himself in possession of a potentially very valuable object, and elected not to do anything about it for sentimental reasons.

Meanwhile, he's guilting his father, who had to give up going to college after he got his girlfriend pregnant, for spending time at work and not with his son.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

fritz posted:

Indeed. I have no complaints at all with Nimona's ending.

It ended on a far more upbeat note than I was expecting, given the last act.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

fritz posted:

I agree, it ended pretty nicely I feel. All the main characters are alive, Ballister knows she's alive and Nimona knows how Ballister feels. It's time for them to all move on.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 30, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fritz posted:

Some people like that kind of ending, but heck, I didn't like Lost in Translation either. It's a personal preference thing but I'm going to be a lot happier once we get the epilogue.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In other news, I suddenly sympathize enormously with Hanna :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The ending to Nimona is fine, but holy hell is it abrupt. An epilogue seems very much in order.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I gotta imagine the epilogue to Nimona will not feature Ballister and Nimona interacting in any way. This is the end of the story, this is the end of their time together.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hahaha, Octopus Pie is proving you don't actually need audio to be a musical.

And now we're going to get color comics! The previews looked fantastic, I'm stoked for every page to be like that now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another good comic updated too

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bobulus posted:

I gotta imagine the epilogue to Nimona will not feature Ballister and Nimona interacting in any way. This is the end of the story, this is the end of their time together.

True, it will probably feature Blackheart and Goldenloin making out, which is more important thematically anyway.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The ending to Nimona is fine, but holy hell is it abrupt.

"And that is the story of how Nimona murdered a bunch of people and burnt down half the town, and got away without any consequences."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

True, it will probably feature Blackheart and Goldenloin making out, which is more important thematically anyway.

To hell with Goldenloin, "yeah sure I blasted off your hand and then supported the organization that drove you into a life of villainy and lets be honest would STILL be supporting that organization if it hadn't been destroyed, but on the other hand I finally apologized for exactly one of those things."

Blackheart could do better, because literally anyone else would be doing better.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pavlov posted:

"And that is the story of how Nimona murdered a bunch of people and burnt down half the town, and got away without any consequences."

Sometimes when people get put in incredibly lovely situations they do bad things. Thankfully, most people aren't capable of turning into terrifying shadow dragon monsters.

reignonyourparade posted:

To hell with Goldenloin, "yeah sure I blasted off your hand and then supported the organization that drove you into a life of villainy and lets be honest would STILL be supporting that organization if it hadn't been destroyed, but on the other hand I finally apologized for exactly one of those things."

Blackheart could do better, because literally anyone else would be doing better.

He'll have plenty of opportunity to do so now that he's not under the thumb of the Institute and the city isn't burning to the ground :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I haven't read OP in forever, but that was really very good.

• Locked thread