Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
C. Support Clan Ice Hellion’s right to invade the Inner Sphere.

Abjuration of the Ice Hellions will lead to all the Clans fighting a single Clan. Letting the Ice Hellions invade if they damned well want to will lead to all the Clans fighting all the other Clans.

Anything that maximizes Clan infighting is okay by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

1) Abjure Clan Ice Hellion

The clans need to set a precedent. If a trial of abjuration succeeds now, it might lead to trials of annihilation later.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
1) The IlKhan is a dick and needs to keep the clans in line, Option A.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Option 1. Seriously, gently caress the Ice Hellions, they've been useless in two timelines now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You know, I kinda want to see the chaos that would come from the Smoke Jaguars getting their Trial of Abjuration on the Ice Hellions and losing. The Abjuration of the ilClan would be the most hilarious thing.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 28, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

The clans are the worst, and should conduct themselves in the manner of the worst - A, murder a bunch of innocent serfs, indentured craftsmen and captive scientists due to the bruised egos of gene-enhanced jocks in Space Highschool.

It strikes me as odd that you say the Clans are horrible monsters, and then choose the option for them to act more like horrible monsters. This is a chance to make them be less assholes. If you don't like them being this way, why not take this opportunity to try and make them a way you do like?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shoeless posted:

It strikes me as odd that you say the Clans are horrible monsters, and then choose the option for them to act more like horrible monsters. This is a chance to make them be less assholes. If you don't like them being this way, why not take this opportunity to try and make them a way you do like?

Because gently caress the Clans.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Political Vote 16
3) Support Clan Ice Hellion’s right to invade the Inner Sphere

Let's just move the entire clan cluster into the IS. Sounds like a good time.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

C Let's do something CRAZY.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Everyone into the Inner Sphere!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ardlen posted:

Everyone into the Inner Sphere!

Meanwhile, back in the Clan Homeworlds, Clan Blood Spirit looks around and says "Huh, look at all this empty space. Welp, ours now, I guess."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Shoeless posted:

There isn't an option to abandon their ludicrous caste system, warrior aristocracy and massive invasion, so there isn't really a way to "fix" the clans here. So if they're going to be monsters, they should be unambiguous and bloody-handed ones - it makes it easier to root against them. Besides, this way they waste their strength and attention on infighting, historically the way the Inner Sphere survives the clan invasion.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

There isn't an option to abandon their ludicrous caste system, warrior aristocracy and massive invasion, so there isn't really a way to "fix" the clans here. So if they're going to be monsters, they should be unambiguous and bloody-handed ones - it makes it easier to root against them. Besides, this way they waste their strength and attention on infighting, historically the way the Inner Sphere survives the clan invasion.

So rather than take the option that could lead to what you want, you'll just continue to demonize them and feed your bias, gotcha.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

But the things Dolash hates about the clans are all fundamental parts of their core identity. That's not going to change without huge out-of-context revelations, centuries of time, or massive amounts of bloodshed. And even if they did, the end result would not be recognizable as the clans anymore, the same way almost no one realized the training mission was a twisted trial of position until PoptartsNinja told us.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

golden bubble posted:

That's not going to change without huge out-of-context revelations, centuries of time, or massive amounts of bloodshed.

We're already well on the way towards that last one!

Also, a friend of mine made this.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 28, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
No the training mission was pretty obviously a trial analogue as soon as they explained the part where the cadets to prove themselves to the not-clanners-anymore through live-fire combat.

Also A Maximum Genocide

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 28, 2014

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Don't abjure the Ice Hellions.

The Smokes already gave them a slap on the wrist; there's no need to bring out the belt unless they misbehave again. Khan Taney could use a personal reminder, though. Probably with her in some crappy-rear end Clan 'Mech in a bullshit Trial.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

berryjon posted:

Some quick research indicates that a 4/5 majority is required here. So, I'll go with 2, Do not Abjure Ice Hellion. A rotten leadership doesn't mean that the entirely of the Clan must be punished.

Clearly you don't understand Clan law. That is exactly what it means. If the leadership of a Clan does sufficiently bad things, they not only get thrown out, they get served a big plate of ethnic cleansing, complete with mass sterilization of their lower castes. The answer is to Abjure the Ice Hellions.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Is there a option to send the Ice Hellions towards the IS armed with paper machete version of their mechs?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Shoeless posted:

So rather than take the option that could lead to what you want, you'll just continue to demonize them and feed your bias, gotcha.

Not abjuring the Hellions isn't going to lead to any of the things I mentioned, but the Clans wasting time massacring each other to help their enemies overcome them might.

Also demonize isn't the right word for people who make space-feudalism seem tolerable by comparison.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I vote
2) Do not Abjure Clan Ice Hellion

Why?
Because the clans are always gonna backstab each other, and I'd rather see some IS battle action over Clan versus Clan dance-off fights.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

Not abjuring the Hellions isn't going to lead to any of the things I mentioned, but the Clans wasting time massacring each other to help their enemies overcome them might.

Also demonize isn't the right word for people who make space-feudalism seem tolerable by comparison.

I might agree with you if the clans were real. As a fictional faction in a game about giant stompy robots and where systems have names like "Butte Hold" though? Not so much.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shoeless posted:

I might agree with you if the clans were real. As a fictional faction in a game about giant stompy robots and where systems have names like "Butte Hold" though? Not so much.

I guess the question here is "do we vote based on how we personally think things should go" or "do we vote by trying to get into the characters' heads?" They are very different approaches and I think you do one and I the other.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

I guess the question here is "do we vote based on how we personally think things should go" or "do we vote by trying to get into the characters' heads?" They are very different approaches and I think you do one and I the other.

True, true. I suppose I see it as, if we vote for what we think the characters would do in the canon universe, then why have it be a choice at all? It's just them reacting as they would, but to a different set of circumstances than in canon. So I tend to go more towards what I think makes for a more interesting story, which sometimes intersects with your (and probably Dolash's) choices, and sometimes does not.

I apologize for being rude, Dolash.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Abjuration of the Ice Hellions will lead to all the Clans fighting a single Clan. Letting the Ice Hellions invade if they damned well want to will lead to all the Clans fighting all the other Clans.

Anything that maximizes Clan infighting is okay by me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shoeless posted:

True, true. I suppose I see it as, if we vote for what we think the characters would do in the canon universe, then why have it be a choice at all? It's just them reacting as they would, but to a different set of circumstances than in canon. So I tend to go more towards what I think makes for a more interesting story, which sometimes intersects with your (and probably Dolash's) choices, and sometimes does not.

I apologize for being rude, Dolash.

I find that, since PTN is a much better author than Mike Stackpole and he refrains from having characters explain their feelings and motivations constantly, trying to figure out what is consistent with the characters as PTN has written them thankfully has a little more wriggle-room. If we were constantly using our telepathy to see into Hanse Davion's mind and know he's not interested in punishing the people who killed his brother or getting revenge on the people who tried to replace him with a double, he only fights offensive wars to protect and/or give FREEDUMB to HIS PEOPLE, and thus eliminating any ambiguity or room for interpretation with the characters, I would probably look more for "HAHA SWERVE!" in my voting, too.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

I find that, since PTN is a much better author than Mike Stackpole and he refrains from having characters explain their feelings and motivations constantly, trying to figure out what is consistent with the characters as PTN has written them thankfully has a little more wriggle-room. If we were constantly using our telepathy to see into Hanse Davion's mind and know he's not interested in punishing the people who killed his brother or getting revenge on the people who tried to replace him with a double, he only fights offensive wars to protect and/or give FREEDUMB to HIS PEOPLE, and thus eliminating any ambiguity or room for interpretation with the characters, I would probably look more for "HAHA SWERVE!" in my voting, too.

Mm, very good point. And it is that ambiguity which can and does lead to disagreements over what people think a character would do in a situation too, which can give rise to different votes.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I choose A - Abjure the Ice Hellions. Inter-Clan atrocities are the best Clan atrocities.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I always vote for the worst option so A maximum murder.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

C for Crazy. Clans are crazy. Send them to the moon, by which I mean the most dangerous thrust towards the NRWR imaginable!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Reducing the number of Clans seems to be a good move. We need more Clans not being part of the Clans. A)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How the clans act overall is still mostly in the writer's hands, either options could lead to massive infighting depending on future events. If you want clanner death, vote for the now. Voting A.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Abjuration is more like clanner exile than straight up clan on clan murder. Get out of clan space in a month (a week if it's against a person or smaller organization) or be run out. You're still considered clanners and might even be let back in should you choose to suck enough dicks once tempers cool off.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Option 3 . I want chaos and insanity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
A. It's just abjuration, it's not like the ilKhan declared a Trial of Annihilation or Rite of Absorption or anything.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 28, 2014

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
Abjure the Ice Hellions, or any of those other A words, whatever.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What exactly is abjuration?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Affi posted:

What exactly is abjuration?
Abjure. Verb. To renounce, repudiate, or retract, especially with formal solemnity; recant.

A Trial of Abjuration can result in the complete removal of the bloodname of a single person who has committed a particularly great dishonor from the rolls, the destruction of all genetic material related to that bloodname, and, in particularly severe cases, the deaths of all sibkos bearing genes from that bloodname and warriors bearing that bloodname.

It's pretty intense. Instead of doing it to a particular bloodname the proposal here is to do it to an entire clan, effectively stripping them entirely of their honor and telling them to get out until they're worthy of coming back, if ever. Obviously the death part won't apply... yet. Then it'd be a Trial of Annihilation, or "we're going to kill every last one of you."

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Naah, it is:

DnD posted:

Abjurations are protective spells. They create physical or magical barriers, negate magical or physical abilities, harm trespassers, or even banish the subject of the spell to another plane of existence.
The dude is calling for an "Aburation" which I don't know what it means, but according to the voting alternatives it's comlang for abjuration anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought it meant the clan would cease to exist and they'd try to absorb all its members?

• Locked thread