Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MGS3 on the go. That's all I need to justify my Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

What if you spend $200+ to play Golden and Dancing All Night.

Please do spend 200+ bucks to play Dancing All Night.

MrAristocrates posted:

MGS3 on the go. That's all I need to justify my Vita.

Gross

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 27, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Vita is a nice system but it really isn't worth buying unless you've got a super hard-on for a very very specific type of game. (read: Monster Hunter clones or incredibly anime Compile Heart JRPGs.)

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The Vita is a nice system but it really isn't worth buying unless you've got a super hard-on for a very very specific type of game. (read: Monster Hunter clones or incredibly anime Compile Heart JRPGs.)

It depends what you want out of it (and how cheap you can get one). For me, it was a way to play a bunch of PS1 and PSP games I haven't played before at Uni without having to bring my PS3 up, and it's been well worth it for just that. Add on to that all the indie games (which are available elsewhere, but you can play them on the go with a Vita) and the other obvious picks (P4G and the like), and a Vita becomes a pretty attractive prospect for a certain market. In addition, most of the games I want to play with it were given to me on PS Plus, so that's pretty awesome. Anybody who's been keeping up a subscription for a while ought to have a nice bundle of games to play immediately if they were to get a Vita.

Memory card prices remain utter bull, though. :colbert:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
LITMUS TEST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-grhMSws4

MysticArksRevenge posted:

That's all good with you, and everyone else in this drat country, but as for me, I want everything to be dark, violent and chaotic. If Persona 3 and 4 were never made, then maybe SMT can finally go back to its roots instead of having all of the bullshit I HATE (Dating simulations, lighthearted storylines, comedy) be a part of the series. The SMTs are supposed to be sad and to have an apocalyptic, controversial and heavily religious storyline. (Continued)

(Continued) ATLUS created the Devil Summoner series for people who liked the SMT storyline, but wanted an action-oriented battle system. ATLUS created the Majin Tensei series for people who like strategy and tactical games, but have the same dark storyline as SMT. And what ATLUS wanted for Persona before they ruined it with Persona 3, they wanted an RPG for people who have just gotten a little bit into the MEGATEN franchise, with an easy to follow, but dark storyline.

(Continued from last comment) ATLUS created the spin-offs for a reason- for different people to get into the MEGATEN series. If people wanted the same system as SMT but light-hearted, and more fantasy based, they had the Last Bible series, (which should still continue). If children wanted to get into the MEGATEN series, they had Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children, or Demikids as known here in the States. But unfortunately, those games WERE NOT as well-liked and didn't give them enough money.

(Continued) So what does that all mean? Well, it means that if you wanted something light hearted in the MEGATEN series, you had to go with DemiKids or Last Bible. Everything else was all dark and chaotic before Atlus hosed up everything that the first 2 Personas did when they created the 3rd one, by making it into a more mainstream series accessible to all.

That is EXXACTLY WHY Persona 3 and 4 suck in my eyes, and why they are and forever will be considered the worst in my eyes. Persona 1 and 2 will always be the best.

BONUS ROUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr1OApK3nvQ

Here is a good soundtrack that I especially like- it uses the kind of music I love- a hard-rock/metal styled soundtrack. If only more games nowadays used the kind of music used in this game. I am a fan of the PC Engine, and this game is one of my all time favorites. I feel that both the PC Engine (TurboGrafx-16) and the Sega Genesis should've been the most popular while Nintendo was dead last, and ended up failing.

The NEC TG16 and the Sega Genesis are the 2 best systems of all time, and I feel that either one of those 2 systems, or especially the TG16 should've saved the video game industry instead of the NES, made by a company that severely hoards all of the 3rd party developers to themselves, who does not let the 3rd party developers make games for other systems and wants the other systems to fail, who are always innovative while the others FAIL, who loves to hog the spotlight and have all of the cameo appearences and references in cartoons and TV shows, and who has a pasta-slurping Italian plumber and his brother as mascots. No wonder why I hate Nintendo so much, and anyone who likes them.

I've made this video because there was no music to this game on YouTube, so I figured I would do one.

This video is dedicated to BabyPoof08, MiniMoon10, ZeoLightning, ThunderLizardsRule, KANDA8492, superdeadite and GamerDudeIsh.

Enjoy the video!

One more thing- do not- I REPEAT: DO NOT see Disney's Wreck-It-Ralph. It is the worst movie ever made, and I feel that the person who created it and had the idea for it over at Disney needs to be bludgeoned to death. That movie is precisely why geeks and nerds, and gamers shouldn't be in the animation industry, because they only honor, respect, and appreciate the games and game companies that everyone knows about and loves, such as Mario, Nintendo, Sega, and Capcom, and Square-Enix.

So, for the love of God, please do not see it, and try to appreciate the unknown and obscure game companies a lot more. It's not that hard to do.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 28, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There's something annoying about fans who insist that they know what a (game, movie, TV series, etc.) is "supposed" to be.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
persona 3, a game whos main theme is death and peoples reactions to it, is light hearted

persona 4, a literal murder mystery, is also light hearted

NO megaten games EVER had even the slightest amount of humor in them before stupid babby for kids persona 3 and 4 showed up

there is not enough :spergin: to go around in that dudes favorites section or even to describe him

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 28, 2014

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

It's funny how his opinions on things are based on whether those things are mainstream and well known or not. I bet he would love Persona 3 and 4 if they were exactly the same but less popular.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
still cant wrap my head over why sperglords feel the need to grimdark the gently caress out of things

you can tell the dude is only basing his opinions on videos rather than actually playing through them. Other wise he'd know about the dancing

the wreck it ralph hateboner is an unforgivable sin though. seriously

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 28, 2014

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Race Realists posted:

you can tell the dude is only basing his opinions on videos rather than actually playing through them. Other wise he'd know about the dancing

Or how the original Persona was littered with anime-rear end sweatdrops and at least one boss battle set to music off a Jingle Cats CD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PycUlM-cu0

And I think in Persona 2 you could restore HP by visiting an aromatherapist. So that was pretty hardcore.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Innocent Sin has a subplot about how Lisa is a school idol and with her friends they form an idol group and have an anime song.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
yea but you fight hitler you guys

that instantly makes it :black101: as gently caress

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
And more than half the Demon Negotiation (Did someone said it was in this game? Because it is, and it's annoying as hell in an already boring gameplay) were about as wacky and cliche as P4's worse moments.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eikichi's family and school life is literally a Nickolodeon Sitcom.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
How DARE you all imply something new is better than something old!

You must like Micheal Bay movies, uncultured swine! :smug:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
From almost a year ago, but it's probably still relevant today, maybe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Znh1o1rJk

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess I shouldn't have been running through Overclocked on NG+ with only a fifth of my attention span, but on the other hand I learned there's actually a decent number of unique lines in Yuzu's route if you let Haru die, and I got another chance to record the best line in the game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Thanks for posting a bunch of youtube comments, I guess?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Innocent Sin has a subplot about how Lisa is a school idol and with her friends they form an idol group and have an anime song.

Her subplot is that she's a blonde american japanese girl who doesn't know english and is expected to sing a solo piece totally in english.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 28, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

cdyoung posted:

Her subplot is that she's a blonde american japanese girl who doesn't know english and is expected to sing a solo piece totally in english.

Being raised by Steven Seagal will mess you up.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

Ehh... I disagree. It's not just for Compile Hearts like stuff and MH clones on the system (some MH clones are great, try Toukiden). You can play all Persona games on the system and P3P/P4G are excellent. Atelier games are pretty good for crafting RPGs. If you want some good fighting games (on the go), its a great system. If you want indies on the go, it's a great system. Muramasa and Dragon's Crown are great action games. There are also couple Ninja Gaden which are great. There are a ton of games, but people keep bringing up "no gamez" thing. There are some nice platformers and most of other genres are represented decently enough.

For some specific genres there is not that much, but overall, the library is quite rich. And yeah, if one likes some "anime" JRPGs, there are a ton of them on the system (a lot aren't great admittedly).

Edit: Megaten fight video and that dancing video. Dying.
Edit2: There are going to be 48 Megaten games released including stuff next year....

oblomov fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

Ehh... I disagree. It's not just for Compile Hearts like stuff and MH clones on the system (some MH clones are great, try Toukiden). You can play all Persona games on the system and P3P/P4G are excellent. Atelier games are pretty good for crafting RPGs. If you want some good fighting games (on the go), its a great system. If you want indies on the go, it's a great system. Muramasa and Dragon's Crown are great action games. There are also couple Ninja Gaden which are great. There are a ton of games, but people keep bringing up "no gamez" thing. There are some nice platformers and most of other genres are represented decently enough.

For some specific genres there is not that much, but overall, the library is quite rich. And yeah, if one likes some "anime" JRPGs, there are a ton of them on the system (a lot aren't great admittedly).

I own a Vita. I play my Vita tons. The library is terrible. It is largely ports and ports that run significantly worse than they do on any other system. (Including games like Spelunky which I've none the less put countless hours into but which has no excuse for the massive slowdown present). Games like Borderlands or the Ninja Gaiden ports are kind of inexcusably terrible. Even games where the poor optimization doesn't impact the gameplay, like Atelier, still run pretty drat bad. The few games it has which are not ports are games which will drive people off due to either their content or their perceived content.

The library is rich if you are looking for two very specific thing: poorly optimized portable ports of games you can get cheaper elsewhere or incredibly Japanese JRPGs. This happens to work for my own needs so I play mine a bunch but I'm not under any illusions that makes it a good library despite it working for me.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 28, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I still disagree. Ports are mostly quite serviceable (i.e. Atelier has some frame drops but overall is great on Vita), but there are plenty of great ones (Rayman, FFX, DW8 for example) and some original games. Looking at my game library (in no particular order):

- Uncharted - performs great, awesome game, my favorite Uncharted after 2
- Gravity Rush - simply excellent game
- VLR - must have if you liked 999 on DS (better then 3DS version, IMO)
- Muramasa - excellent, excellent game, performs great
- Dragon's Crown - great game, slows down with lots of enemies, but that's how beat 'm ups supposed to be!
- P4G - enough said
- Sly Cooper - there are some frame rate drops but very serviceable and great game
- Sanic Racing - great Mario Cart clone
- Rayman Origins - performs great and looks excellent on Vita
- MK - looks like poo poo, but plays great
- DAO 5 Plus - looks great, plays great (best fighting game on any handheld)
- Blaz Blue - looks great, plays great
- Guilty Gear - looks great, plays great
- Akiba's Trip - looks pretty good, love the game play, loading times suck but they suck on PS3 too
- Danganronpa - looks great, plays great
- FF X - looks awesome, plays great
- SAO - looks great, plays great, ignore translation
- Atelier games - look great, play great, some frame drops but very very serviceable
- Guacamelee - looks great, plays great (have it on PS4, like it better on Vita)
- Ys Celceta - great game
- MSG HD Collection - love it on the platform, performs pretty well
- Killzone - best shooter on portable ever
- Toukiden - awesome MH like game, with great performance and gameplay
- Disgaea 3 - works great on vita (yes, old port, but 4 is out too and both work very very well on handheld)
- Demon Gaze (sold off at first, but then got it on sale and actually it turned out better then expected)
- Miku f - great game, plays very well

The above is not a full list, just my retail English games and digital currently loaded on the Vita. I am not including online games not loaded; ton of indies; Japanese imports; and PS1/PSP library. Having all Persona games on one platform is a bonus (will never ever replay the first one). Overall Vita provides (to me) a better library then my 3DS, for example. For MT thread, both handhelds are a must, IMO.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 28, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's funny because almost every game on that list is either a game I have on a platform where it runs better and is better suited for (Fighting games on handhelds are garbage and always will be.) or a game that is a worse version of a franchise that works better else were. The rest are okay platformers and P4G.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The mobile ports of Disgaea are invariably better than the console ones. I'm happy with my Vita, but I'm really not sure about calling VLR better on Vita if only because of the crash bugs and save deletion bugs.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

neongrey posted:

The mobile ports of Disgaea are invariably better than the console ones. I'm happy with my Vita, but I'm really not sure about calling VLR better on Vita if only because of the crash bugs and save deletion bugs.

Isn't it the 3DS version that has those bugs? I thought the Vita version was bug-free.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

I still disagree. Ports are mostly quite serviceable (i.e. Atelier has some frame drops but overall is great on Vita), but there are plenty of great ones (Rayman, FFX, DW8 for example) and some original games. Looking at my game library (in no particular order):

What?

Half the games you mentioned don't "run great." You're passing off terrible slowdown as "that is how beat 'em ups are supposed to be" or ignoring that the Atelier games often drop into single-digit FPS which only means they're not unplayable because they're slow-paced JRPGs. You have immensely low standards based off this list. There are a few on there that are better (the Disgaea games) but that's about it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

What?

Half the games you mentioned don't "run great." You're passing off terrible slowdown as "that is how beat 'em ups are supposed to be" or ignoring that the Atelier games often drop into single-digit FPS which only means they're not unplayable because they're slow-paced JRPGs. You have immensely low standards based off this list. There are a few on there that are better (the Disgaea games) but that's about it.

Well yeah, we're talking about how happy he is with the Vita library. I thought that was an assumed thing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
One of the biggest draws to the Vita to me is portability. Hell yeah I wanna be able to play Persona 4 Golden and Final Fantasy X in bed and not be chained to my TV for 100 hours. I want more appealing titles before I purchase one but Portable RPGs are a nice plus to me.

If that's not your thing though, I can understand a Vita being pretty lame.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Moltrey posted:

One of the biggest draws to the Vita to me is portability. Hell yeah I wanna be able to play Persona 4 Golden and Final Fantasy X in bed and not be chained to my TV for 100 hours. I want more appealing titles before I purchase one but Portable RPGs are a nice plus to me.

Portable RPGs are nice when you can just save anywhere and just pop it on and off, and that is not something SMT or FF is exactly known for. Hell, for portability the 3DS SMT games and RPGS are a lot better at that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Portable RPGs are a nice feature, especially with the Vita's sleep mode drawing like no energy so you can just turn it on and off at will. It's just that you have to be a pretty specific kind of gamer for that to make you shell out for the system + insane memory card prices.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Portable RPGs are nice when you can just save anywhere and just pop it on and off, and that is not something SMT or FF is exactly known for. Hell, for portability the 3DS SMT games and RPGS are a lot better at that.

But you can just pop the Vita on and off. Just push the power button and it goes into sleep which it can stay in for literally days with a game right where you left it when you turn it back on.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I am not sure what the heck are you guys talking about with standards here. We are in the Megaten thread where the next entrees encompass a fighting game, a chibi dungeon crawler with no continuity whatsoever, and a dancing rhythm game (yes, that whole P5 thing is coming sometimes next year). From performance standards, I haven't seen Atelier drop into single frames (Totori/Meruru) and framerate is not all that worse then PS3. DC drops, yeah, but again, if you look at beat 'm ups, it's pretty darn good game with a lot of re-playability, great options and ARPG skill trees.

Vanillaware is also a great company and DC is a great game with admittedly controversial art. It's actually a very small studio and DC with their $1mil budget was by far their most expensive games so take that into account. They'd be considered indie studio in the West.

Oh and the thing with Vita, yeah, portability with their suspend functionality and long battery life (esp. with flight mode on) is a winner with RPGs. Crafting RPGs like Atelier or games with episodic battles like Disgaea work very well with that. Heck, that's the reason I picked up FFX on the Vita as well. Would have loved to be able to play Nocturne like that mode (come on PS2 compatibility for PS4, suspend and vita remote play).

We need to get Vanillaware x Persona crossover, think of the possibilities. Oh, and this argument really should have been in the vita thread.

Edit: Also, on memory card prices, it's not that bad. You can get 16gb on sale for under $30 and that's enough if you clean your system (backup to PS3/Computer/PS+) and get bigger games on carts (SAO/Atelier are unfortunately digital only). You can get 64GB for $95 on Amazon right now and 32GB has been below $60 on sale.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 28, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like my Vita. I've got plenty of games on it that are fun and/or great. And since my PSP died I transferred all my digital PSP games to it, including my favorite game of all time Tactics Ogre.

I've got Persona 1, 2, 2, 3 and 4 on it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

oblomov posted:

We need to get Vanillaware x Persona crossover, think of the possibilities. Oh, and this argument really should have been in the vita thread.

You can just play Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters, coming soon to your Playstation Vita, since it combines the vaguely flash animation aesthetic of Vanillaware's catalog with the high schoolers fighting the supernatural aesthetic of Persona.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

I am not sure what the heck are you guys talking about with standards here. We are in the Megaten thread where the next entrees encompass a fighting game, a chibi dungeon crawler with no continuity whatsoever, and a dancing rhythm game (yes, that whole P5 thing is coming sometimes next year).

What does genre have to do with standards? Yes, the dungeon crawler is a silly game. It is also from a team who is known to make well-designed and generally well-regarded dungeon crawlers.

oblomov posted:

From performance standards, I haven't seen Atelier drop into single frames (Totori/Meruru) and framerate is not all that worse then PS3.

This is objectively untrue, straight-up. You may not notice it but it's extremely well documented and is pretty easily provable by having the two run right next to each other. Atelier's framerate isn't perfect on consoles but it is terrible on Vita.

oblomov posted:

Edit: Also, on memory card prices, it's not that bad. You can get 16gb on sale for under $30 and that's enough if you clean your system (backup to PS3/Computer/PS+) and get bigger games on carts (SAO/Atelier are unfortunately digital only). You can get 64GB for $95 on Amazon right now and 32GB has been below $60 on sale.

I have no idea how you can say "they're not that bad" and then follow it up with extremely terrible prices. 64gb for $95 is loving nuts. That is like at minimum 150% markup over other matching sizes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RPGs and platformers are great fits on a handheld and where I prefer to play them, but I'll never understand the appeal of portable shooters.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

RPGs and platformers are great fits on a handheld and where I prefer to play them, but I'll never understand the appeal of portable shooters.

Um Aya Brea's clothes fall off when she takes damage? Can you say the same thing about console/PC shooters?

(I didn't actually play The Third Birthday so I don't know if it really counts as a shooter or not.)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 28, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

What does genre have to do with standards? Yes, the dungeon crawler is a silly game. It is also from a team who is known to make well-designed and generally well-regarded dungeon crawlers.

This is objectively untrue, straight-up. You may not notice it but it's extremely well documented and is pretty easily provable by having the two run right next to each other. Atelier's framerate isn't perfect on consoles but it is terrible on Vita.

I have no idea how you can say "they're not that bad" and then follow it up with extremely terrible prices. 64gb for $95 is loving nuts. That is like at minimum 150% markup over other matching sizes.

Oh, I am not saying that PQ is going to be terrible (pre-ordered it and P4AU), but lets not put it on any sort of a pedestal, it's going to be a pretty silly game (nothing wrong with that). DC is a great game within beat'em ups genre. Muramasa is a great action game (on Vita, not sure how it was on Wii). Now, Code of Princess is very much mediocre in that same genre. P4A and P4A U are surprisingly good fighting games in that whole 2D fighting game club. I liked P4A better then say BlazBlue.

For Atelier, I am going to have to search the internets to see how it's done then. I honestly haven't noticed and played both for PS3 and Vita (most of Totori on vita and some Meruru). I couldn't tell you about the Rorona remake though.

For memory pricing, yes, it's higher then say microsd (for upcoming n3DS), but it's not insanely higher like it used to be. Also, 16GB and 32GB while higher are not that bad considering proprietary system and the fact that system price itself is pretty good for the handheld in question. It's all relative. Paying $25-30 for a memory card which is enough if you are somewhat diligent about housekeeping and don't go all digital is not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

TurnipFritter posted:

Um Aya Brea's clothes fall off when she takes damage? Can you say the same thing about console/PC shooters?

(I didn't actually play The Third Birthday so I don't know if it really counts as a shooter or not.)

Killzone is the only one which is decent so it's not like there is a huge amount of them. And yes, agree on this one, but then again, to me shooters belong on PCs.