Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I use $2 stiff plastic brushes similar to the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A metal brush should also, in theory, be fine.

It's cast iron.

It doesn't care.

Just cook with it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Safety Dance posted:

A metal brush should also, in theory, be fine.

You're theory's wrong.

The 'cook with it' mantra is for people trying to produce a useful layering of season but overthinking the process. And it's true.

In spite of what you say there's a point where you probably don't deliberately want to gently caress up a thing that takes time to develop. Seasoning is tough, but when you have the option of NOT even remotely possibly hurting it with a stiff plastic brush, why wouldn't you go with that?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 23, 2014

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I use a wire brush and my seasoning is fine. Maybe if you're just starting out the seasoning game, plastic would be better, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Drifter posted:

You're theory's wrong.

The 'cook with it' mantra is for people trying to produce a useful layering of season but overthinking the process. And it's true.

In spite of what you say there's a point where you probably don't deliberately want to gently caress up a thing that takes time to develop. Seasoning is tough, but when you have the option of NOT even remotely possibly hurting it with a stiff plastic brush, why wouldn't you go with that?

So is there a significant difference between using a metal brush and a metal spatula?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just boil a littler water to loosen up anything I burned on and just give it a light scrap with a plastic spatula. Dump it out, rinse it, put it back on the stove for a few minutes to dry.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Safety Dance posted:

So is there a significant difference between using a metal brush and a metal spatula?

yes. How on earth do you use your spatulas? Like a chisel?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If there's any similarity between how you use a brush and how you use a chisel, you're doing one or the other very wrong.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

I've always used a metal brush on my skillet since it was store bought and the seasoning has slowly improved as it should with time. Using a metal brush != scrubbing the hell out of it with a metal brush. You just want to gently remove stuck food particles and excess surface fat. Metal brushes are pretty efficient at this when you use a deft touch.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Drunkenly bought three wagener cast iron pans on e-bay that are at least 50 years old. While past Paper With Lines was annoyed with present Paper With Lines, I'm pretty happy that I get to compare old milled stuff to the modern Lodge pan (and dutch oven) that I use now.

Will keep the thread updated.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 24, 2014

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Were they all at least different sizes or something?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

yeah, for the most part. Two three inchers and a six incher.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Paper With Lines posted:

yeah, for the most part. Two three inchers and a six incher.

Tiny cast iron pans are the best. :3:

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Oh ha ha. I guess I was too dumb to even understand what the # meant when I bought them. I have two 5.5 pans and a 7.5 inch pan.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Paper With Lines posted:

Oh ha ha. I guess I was too dumb to even understand what the # meant when I bought them. I have two 5.5 pans and a 7.5 inch pan.

Was gonna say, I didn't know they made measuring cups in cast iron.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The thought of cleaning an iron measuring cup covered in honey or molasses is the stuff of nightmares.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Butch Cassidy posted:

The thought of cleaning an iron measuring cup covered in honey or molasses is the stuff of nightmares.

Just throw it in a fireplace overnight. :black101:

...and then a smelting pot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have a dinky iron skillet, don't know the size but about big enough for an egg. I don't use it.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I think most of the tiny skillets were sold as ashtrays.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

My parents gave me one of these melter things for Christmas last year. I have yet to use it but I think it's in that same category.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you ever need to melt down lead ingots for casting bullets, that'd be perfect.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Yep, that's it except mine has a thick coat of seasoning so someone was cooking with it. I have no idea where it came from, it just appeared in my life from out of nowhere.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
used for melting butter?? i usually melt butter in the microwave so i have no idea how other people do it

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
also if im doing "high heat" (lol electric stovetop in euroland) burgers with no/little oil in my cast iron and it gets really loving smokey and dry + burnt but how does that affect my seasoning because its really hard to tell for me( the burgers taste amazing btw). If I get a lot of burnt stuff I clean it with this stupid crystal salt that my mom left here and that works for the burnt stuff but I am not really sure how this affects the seasoning thats starting to build in my pan.

Its good enough that i can do eggs with almost no oil without them sticking so i guess its good enough but I would love to know more about it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Slaapaav posted:

used for melting butter?? i usually melt butter in the microwave so i have no idea how other people do it

Something I discovered about a month ago is that butter can be stored at room temperature. I've been told that room temperature is the way butter "should" be stored, that's how you can easily spread it on toast and things like that.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
if you use nice butter it will go bad a lot faster. poo poo butter made of oil can be left outside of the fridge. this is my understanding and it makes sense because nice butter has dairy in it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Butter has dairy in it. If it doesn't have dairy, it's not butter.

Keep you butter on the counter, protected from light and air and heat and it will be fine. Better yet get a butter bell.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Slaapaav posted:

if you use nice butter it will go bad a lot faster. poo poo butter made of oil can be left outside of the fridge. this is my understanding and it makes sense because nice butter has dairy in it.

Butter is made from dairy. Margarine is made from oil. There are many blends, which in some places cannot be called butter.

Consumer butter is pasteurized, very low moisture, and most of what people buy is salted. Those factors combine to be pretty resistant to bacteria growth. The fats can still go rancid when exposed to air, which is why butter bells are a thing.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Biscuit Joiner posted:

My parents have one they use for a spoon rest and it's pretty great.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I just keep the butter in the fridge because I only use it for cooking anyway so i dont need it that soft

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Slaapaav posted:

I just keep the butter in the fridge because I only use it for cooking anyway so i dont need it that soft

The best way to deal with cold butter is just to place a pat on your tongue and then shove the entire roll or slice of bread into your mouth. It's a life hack!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Butter has dairy in it. If it doesn't have dairy, it's not butter.

Keep you butter on the counter, protected from light and air and heat and it will be fine. Better yet get a butter bell.

Having just now learned of the butterbell, I need one in my life.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I've never cared for butter bells and just opt to leave a covered dish with a few tablespoons of butter in the cabinet. It gets used before it goes off and I don't have to care about changing water or my kitchen getting hot as balls and splorking a half bell of near melty butter into the water.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
BEHOLD! I have purchased an old, rusty cast iron pan from the flea market!

(this was after giving it a bit of work and going "Ooooh, this is going to take awhile")
It's stamped USA on the back, I can only hope that's not Usa province in China.

Not oil in the shot (about a gallon of elbow grease from the sanding though), just some water I had to spray on to flush the rust particulate after the first boil. After boiling the thing off a few times and getting it clean and dry, it's managed to take a nice first layer of seasoning! All in the grill too. I shall fry some bacon in it tomorrow. It's a pretty neat pan, once I sanded the rust off, the cooking surface was super smooth even without seasoning.

:10bux: well spent I think.

edit: Weird, looking at the back again, it says 10 1/4 INCH SKILLET MADE IN USA but the handle is stamped with an 8.

\/\/Bitchin!\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 28, 2014

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

(this was after giving it a bit of work and going "Ooooh, this is going to take awhile")

Not oil in the shot (about a gallon of elbow grease from the sanding though), just some water I had to spray on to flush the rust particulate after the first boil. After boiling the thing off a few times and getting it clean and dry, it's managed to take a nice first layer of seasoning! All in the grill too. I shall fry some bacon in it tomorrow. It's a pretty neat pan, once I sanded the rust off, the cooking surface was super smooth even without seasoning.

edit: Weird, looking at the back again, it says 10 1/4 INCH SKILLET MADE IN USA but the handle is stamped with an 8.

That is a fantastic purchase! I think it is probably a Griswold #8.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Suspect Bucket posted:

\/\/Bitchin!\/\/

That is a badass pan. I like the length of the handle - mine are all too short except for the 8'' that I use mainly for frying eggs.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My Griswald #8 is my favorite thing out of all of my stuff. My wife's grandmother was just going to junk it when she got a glass cooktop :stonk:

But I saved it and use it every day as it lives on the stovetop. Today, it will crank out some no-knead pizza with all of the anchovies.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I tested my pan with an omlette

It cooked in like 30 seconds. A little overdone, my own fault for getting the pan too hot. The seasoning is working fantastically.

Gonna make a stir fry tonight.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 28, 2014

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Just scored this from a lady at work. Not sure what I'll use it for but hey, its cast iron and was free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You can make one chicken pot pie at a time.

• Locked thread