Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Between the top 32 of Indy and Jersey combined to 64 decks, something like 12 didn't Courser/Caryatid I think.

I am willing to wait and see how things shake out but I don't think anyone who paid any remote attention is surprised by this development. I would be surprised if Courser/fetchland interaction isn't always relevant, and if you run that Caryatid typically makes a lot of sense too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Do you guys think that a Mono-red burn with prowess creatures can be a thing?
It sounds like it could work, you can have something like:
T1:Monastery Swiftspear
T2-T99: Burn while beating face with grown swiftspear

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Unsurprsingly, Dig Through Time was an all star every time I saw it cast.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
A most excellent thread title.

Also gently caress Azban and their loving 4/4 Lifelink Giraffe riders in draft.

Sultai (and soon Mardu) fo lyfe!

Edit: Going to try to get back into standard, really liking the cards that came out of khans. I'm thinking a token oriented deck with Rabblemaster, Mardu cards and some convoke stuff. Then just trumpet blast people down.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 28, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

superstepa posted:

there is too much good burn in colors besides red to make a mono red build viable

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Attorney at Funk posted:

No way, this is:

I actually know him... He works at TOGIT

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

LordSaturn posted:

Alex Bertoncini is one of the leading names in tournament magic cheating, in this age of video replays letting us all watch him cheat long after he's gotten away with it.

"Two Explores"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Jeskai Tempo vs. Mardu Midrange in the SCG Open Finals. So cool to see the wedges doing well.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Steam Augury on the finals table! :siren:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

Steam Augury on the finals table! :siren:

Narset is on the board and protected from crackling doom :siren:

Hits: Stoke the flames and 3 misses

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Devor posted:

:siren: DOUBLE STOKE THE FLAMES FOR MATCH POINT :siren:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

:siren: DOUBLE STOKE THE FLAMES FOR MATCH POINT :siren:

Narset....pretty loving good.

burntnorton
Mar 6, 2006

Devor posted:

Hits: Stoke the flames and 3 misses

Sarkhan wasn't a miss, had that not been lethal he could have played it post-combat.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

burntnorton posted:

Sarkhan wasn't a miss, had that not been lethal he could have played it post-combat.

Narset seems a lot better than I give her credit for now.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

burntnorton posted:

Oh man, I thought it was instants and sorceries, not 'noncreature'. Jesus Christ.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The only misses for Narset are Lands and Creatures. Everything else is a hit but still subject to normal "timing" rules for casting them.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Pretty good open. Wonder if/when/how control may develop. It would be pretty funny if it just didn't, and midrange ruled the roost. I think they'd make some quick (for magic) changes to removal, sweepers, counters if they just ended up killing aggro and control in one fell swoop. It may just be a quirk of this standard but Caryatid and Courser do so much to just stuff aggro, and green-X midrange can easily side in the 3cmc aggro sweepers in black and red. Woops.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

superstepa posted:

There is a deck like this, it's called SubSligh. Check the brewhaus. It's capable of turn 3 kills.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Pretty good open. Wonder if/when/how control may develop. It would be pretty funny if it just didn't, and midrange ruled the roost. I think they'd make some quick (for magic) changes to removal, sweepers, counters if they just ended up killing aggro and control in one fell swoop. It may just be a quirk of this standard but Caryatid and Courser do so much to just stuff aggro, and green-X midrange can easily side in the 3cmc aggro sweepers in black and red. Woops.

They've been pushing for just midrange durdles for the past few years though. Pure aggro, combo and control have been getting weaker while the G/B/x decks have gotten all the fun toys and push everyone into midrange because the best cards are in those colors.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm glad to see Narset win a tournament. The card seems to get underestimated because it's a 3-power creature for 6, but she really does do something fundamentally broken. She also seems to be in a good place right now since Crackling Doom and End Hostilities are about the only things that kill her. That Jeskai Deck looks so sick, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more copies of Narset.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 28, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There was one deck listed as "Control" in the top 50 (ie top 25 of NJ/IN) and it got 7th in NJ: R/W Control
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=73400

Interestingly, Anger was the main 4-of sweeper in the deck and the only copy of End Hostilities was a singleton in the sideboard.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

L0cke17 posted:

They've been pushing for just midrange durdles for the past few years though. Pure aggro, combo and control have been getting weaker while the G/B/x decks have gotten all the fun toys and push everyone into midrange because the best cards are in those colors.

I have noticed I guess I just don't get why. The outcome of such a thing is decks that are really similar. It gets closer to "what color do you like besides green?"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

I'm glad to see Narset win a tournament. The card seems to get underestimated because it's a 3-power creature for 6, but she really does do something fundamentally broken. She also seems to be in a good place right now since Crackling Doom and End Hostilities are about the only things that kill her.

Anger of the Gods, also.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lets Pickle posted:

She also seems to be in a good place right now since Crackling Doom and End Hostilities are about the only things that kill her.

Also Drown in Sorrow and Anger of the Gods. But forcing them to keep their sweepers meant for aggro against your burn deck is kind of a win.

E:f;b

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
The new control colours could go any way though, it's not obvious what the best setup is:

I suspect Mardu, because it has red for Anger of the Gods/Stoke the Flames, black for Drown in Sorrow, Bile Blight and Hero's Downfall, and white for Banishing Light and End Hostilities.
Then you have Elspeth and Sarkhan as finishers.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Lets Pickle posted:

I'm glad to see Narset win a tournament. The card seems to get underestimated because it's a 3-power creature for 6, but she really does do something fundamentally broken. She also seems to be in a good place right now since Crackling Doom and End Hostilities are about the only things that kill her. That Jeskai Deck looks so sick, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more copies of Narset.

If you listen to the guy who won, he said that she's just a 1 of in the sideboard for removal-heavy matchups. Making it out like Narset was the cornerstone of the deck is a bit inaccurate.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

If you listen to the guy who won, he said that she's just a 1 of in the sideboard for removal-heavy matchups. Making it out like Narset was the cornerstone of the deck is a bit inaccurate.

Yeah, when you have to get to 8 mana in a burn-heavy deck to really get to use her (6 drop + 2 for counter), there's just no way she can be considered anything other than a sideboard card. Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for the Narset kill both times it happened on camera, but it's clearly a cool niche finisher rather than anything amazing.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, Narset was just a fun one-of anti-control finisher, that's it. The cornerstone creature of the deck is mantis rider really, that card is absurdly good in the current format.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Jeskai Tempo looks sweet. Also funny in how it's playing none of the cards articles were harping on about.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ascendancy Combo 11th Andrew Baeckstrom StarCityGames.com Standard Open 2014-09-27 Indianapolis

So I guess this means that combo is a thing in standard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zorak posted:

Jeskai Tempo looks sweet. Also funny in how it's playing none of the cards articles were harping on about.

I just listened to the first Constructed Resources article where they're really down on Jeskai in general and say Mantis Riders looks OK but there just doesn't seem to be any deck for it. Constructed is way harder to predict than Limited.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Korak posted:

Ascendancy Combo 11th Andrew Baeckstrom StarCityGames.com Standard Open 2014-09-27 Indianapolis

So I guess this means that combo is a thing in standard.

I don't think you can say any deck is a "thing" in standard based on the first open of the block since nobody really knows whats in anyone else's deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Sure Narset was a SB card here, but seeing her win the finals on-screen means that people will at least be trying to make her work, so I'm sure we'll see more of her soon. When was the last time a "cast spells without using actual mana" mechanic wasn't really strong?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

I just listened to the first Constructed Resources article where they're really down on Jeskai in general and say Mantis Riders looks OK but there just doesn't seem to be any deck for it. Constructed is way harder to predict than Limited.

This. I'm sure that nobody consider a tempo deck that was 3 colors that centered on a 3 drop. Now that I look at it, its like slow UR delver, but since most other decks are durdly too, it works out.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Do these people not remember Lightning Angel? How can you look at Mantis Rider and not see an obviously playable card?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

jassi007 posted:

This. I'm sure that nobody consider a tempo deck that was 3 colors that centered on a 3 drop. Now that I look at it, its like slow UR delver, but since most other decks are durdly too, it works out.

It's not like mono colored aggro was absent.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

stinkles1112 posted:

Do these people not remember Lightning Angel? How can you look at Mantis Rider and not see an obviously playable card?

It was more of if there was a viable deck to put it in, not the card.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zorak posted:

I'll officially eat crow on it; good cost for the abilities, but didn't think non-control Jeskai would be a thing so early. Sidisi is also much better than I'd thought.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
BJPaskoff, the New Brewhaus thread is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668234

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Honestly I think the palming a Kira on camera was a better cheat but for reasons absolutely alien to me the guys is allowed to keep playing in big tournaments instead of receiving a lifetime ban.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 28, 2014

• Locked thread