Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Can anyone ID this tree? I saw it when I was running some errands earlier, and I don't think I've ever seen one like it before.

The fruits are about golf ball sized or maybe a bit larger, and spiny. They looked kind of like green rambutans, almost hairy. Not at all like the fruit from a sweetgum. This is in the Willamette Valley in Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Looks like a black walnut tree from this distance, although I wouldn't call their fruit spiny.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
The leaves look about right, but the fruits don't. These were about the size of just the the walnut without the fleshy outside part. Is that typical for a walnut this time of year, or is there maybe a related species with smaller fruits?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
The picture is a little blurry for both leaf and fruit detail but it could be a chestnut.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Horse chestnut.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah, sorry about the poor quality. I was driving out of the parking lot at my doctor's office at the time and just snapped one real quick. Either horse chestnut or one of the true chestnuts is a possibility. I'll try to remember to ask next time I go in.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I'm not sure... Chestnuts and black walnuts are both fairly upright trees, and they don't form clumps like that. Were the fruits hairy?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

I'm not sure... Chestnuts and black walnuts are both fairly upright trees, and they don't form clumps like that. Were the fruits hairy?

They appeared to be, but I was at least 8-10 feet away from it. Like I said, they reminded me a lot of rambutans, but they could have been more bristly like a chestnut casing is.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
If he's in the PNW, the sort of growth wouldn't be too uncommon, especially combined with a poor planting area. I would put money on it being some sort of Aesculus.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

stubblyhead posted:

Can anyone ID this tree? I saw it when I was running some errands earlier, and I don't think I've ever seen one like it before.

I'm thinking its one of the asian chestnuts, something like Chinese chestnut or Japanese chestnut. Similar leaves to the other chestnut species and very spiny fruit (like a ball of needles).

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009
I've recently acquired a sundew (Drosera capensis)which is my first sundew and I am a little worried about over feeding it.
As you can see in the picture below it has caught itself a large number gnats that have come out of some seedling pots near bye.
Is this going to be a problem for the plant, should I try and remove some of the gnats?

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

General Apathy posted:

I've recently acquired a sundew (Drosera capensis)which is my first sundew and I am a little worried about over feeding it.
As you can see in the picture below it has caught itself a large number gnats that have come out of some seedling pots near bye.
Is this going to be a problem for the plant, should I try and remove some of the gnats?

Nope, he'll be fine. Gnats are good food for them. They're tiny, so they digest fast and don't have time to rot or mold. Try to keep the humidity up, it'll help the tentacles stay sticky.

Is that a ghost capensis?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hello thread, last year quite a few of my plants nearly died due to leatherjackets and their chums munching away the roots - could you recommend something I could treat them with when I bring them in for the winter?

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009

Sun Dog posted:

Nope, he'll be fine. Gnats are good food for them. They're tiny, so they digest fast and don't have time to rot or mold. Try to keep the humidity up, it'll help the tentacles stay sticky.

Is that a ghost capensis?

Thanks for the info. If ghost is another name for albino or alba as this one was called, then yeah. It has the clear dew and no red pigmentation at all.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Actually, in high enough light conditions D. capensis 'Albino' develops pink tentacles. It's really cute.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
My Maranta has some flaky white stuff growing on the top of the soil. Same with my catnip plant. Is it mold, and how do I treat it?

I am worried my plants are gonna die.

Bina fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 2, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bina posted:

My Maranta has some flaky white stuff growing on the top of the soil. Same with my catnip plant. Is it mold, and how do I treat it?

I am worried my plants are gonna die.

How hard is your water? That could just be salt.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

kid sinister posted:

How hard is your water? That could just be salt.

If it is salt, would it hurt the plant? I use filtered water to water my plants. (Brita filtered)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bina posted:

If it is salt, would it hurt the plant? I use filtered water to water my plants. (Brita filtered)

Depends on that plant. If you filter it, then it's probably not salt.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

I have some questions about a couple of plants that I have. The first is an aloe vera. About 2 months ago, the leaves started to get droopy and some of the leaves are curling on the ends. I water it every couple of weeks. I live in Colorado, so it gets pretty dry here and I don't water again until it seems like the pot has dried out quite a bit. What am I doing wrong? Here are some pics of the plant.

The second plant that I am wondering about is one of my cacti. I bought it at walmart a little over a month ago. The base has turned brown and soggy, and I have already accepted that I will lose the plant, but it has tiny little buds that look like offshoots growing on it, and I'm wondering if I can save those? I'm not surprised that I'm going to lose it, the selection at the walmart I went to was awful so I'm just happy the other two cacti I bought there are doing ok.

Thanks everyone!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Sogginess indicates root rot, and likely means a soil with too much organic material. Even most store bought cacti mixes retain too much water. You can cut them more than 50% with something like perlite or pumice and let them really breath. I would repot everything and get them in as much direct sun as possible.

Do a flush cut right above the rotten section and pot it up. No reason the plant can't rebound over the next few months.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Somebody can correct me, but as I understand it, the colored part of the cactus is a strain of cactus that doesn't produce chlorophyll. It's then grafted onto the top of a healthy green cactus so it can get the chlorophyll juices from the other plant. Without the green cactus graft, it doesn't sound like the red shoots can survive.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

unprofessional posted:

Do a flush cut right above the rotten section and pot it up. No reason the plant can't rebound over the next few months.

The whole base is brown so I don't think I can save it :/

plumper fuckbus posted:

Somebody can correct me, but as I understand it, the colored part of the cactus is a strain of cactus that doesn't produce chlorophyll. It's then grafted onto the top of a healthy green cactus so it can get the chlorophyll juices from the other plant. Without the green cactus graft, it doesn't sound like the red shoots can survive.

I just did some more research and you're right. I had no idea! It's kind of a bummer cause it means unless I get another base cactus I can't do anything with the little offshoots.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I've been cutting down this 10 foot long row of Yucca trees, that must be 20-30 years old. Down at the base/root of the plants they are about 3 feet in diameter. What can I spray on the cut trunk to kill the roots? I think glyphosate needs to be sprayed on the leaves, right?

Any suggestions of a power tool that would help get rid of these roots/trunks?

e: to be clear, this is a 10+ foot long, 3+ foot wide SOLID row of Yucca plants. All I can think of is renting a really long chainsaw. Is there a tool better than this?

I've cut them down to about 2 or 3 foot tall stumps.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 10, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is fire an option? Don't use it near a building or with any kind of ground cover that could light up, of course, but if you have bare soil, you can burn out a stump pretty effectively.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Leperflesh posted:

Is fire an option? Don't use it near a building or with any kind of ground cover that could light up, of course, but if you have bare soil, you can burn out a stump pretty effectively.

Unfortunately no, the row is at the closest part, 4 feet from my house. And it is surrounded by wood chips.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I've been cutting down this 10 foot long row of Yucca trees, that must be 20-30 years old. Down at the base/root of the plants they are about 3 feet in diameter. What can I spray on the cut trunk to kill the roots? I think glyphosate needs to be sprayed on the leaves, right?

e: to be clear, this is a 10+ foot long, 3+ foot wide SOLID row of Yucca plants. All I can think of is renting a really long chainsaw. Is there a tool better than this?

The tool is a stump grinder, used to chip up the stump below the soil line. An arborist should be able to advise you on whether that would work or other methods available.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Fozzy The Bear posted:

As Cpt.Wacky just said, you want a stump grinder. Most tree companies have one, so call around and get multiple quotes.

Alternatively, get a chainsaw, cut the stumps close to the ground, and spray them with RoundUp (or similar product). You need to spray the fresh cut immediately after cutting, so do them 1 or 2 at a time. This obviously won't get rid of the stump in the ground, but will kill off the roots and prevent regrowth.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
We always used Tordon to keep stumps from growing back in our pastures. You just spray or paint it on the freshly cut stump and it won't come back guaranteed. Stump grinder might be better if you don't want a huge stump sitting around though.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Can somebody help me identify this thing?
I found it in a botanical garden, and that's literally all i know about it other than the fact it's crazy nuts and i want one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I asked google 'rose shaped succulent'

http://www.plantegrassefrontignan.fr/plantes%20grasses%20mediterranennes/anglais/HTML/succulents%205.html

http://www.ascotvalegardencentre.com.au/product/aeonium-arboreum/

Looks pretty close?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's an Aeonium with a summer rosette. They are winter-growing succulents from the Canary Islands, and during the summer sometimes the rosette gets all closed like that, especially if it's been particularly hot and dry. Once it cools down and rains a bit it will open up and start growing again.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Cpt.Wacky posted:

The tool is a stump grinder, used to chip up the stump below the soil line. An arborist should be able to advise you on whether that would work or other methods available.

I was trying to think about a joke involving a stump grinder and strip clubs, but couldn't think of anything. This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I've also heard of people having success by cutting the stump as low as possible, then drilling lots of small, deep holes to speed decay. Sounds like you situation is a little more severe.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Also fill the holes full of roundup

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
http://www.spectracide.com/Products-and-Solutions/All-Products/Spectracide-Stump-Remover.aspx

We have used this stuff (available at Lowes/Home Depot) three times now with success (two crab apple stumps, and a holly tree.) Be sure to drill holes, and dump this stuff in the holes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I just finished the 100th post on my carnivorous plant blog. In celebration I took a picture of every plant in my collection.

Check out the rest of the post here.

:toot:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
What can anyone tell me about false aralia? I bought one, and it's just losing leaves like crazy. I have it next to a window with soft light, I keep it misted, no drastic temperature extremes. Any tips? It cost me a fair amount of $ and I'd really like to keep it healthy. Mom had one back in the day and it did fine.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Planet X posted:

What can anyone tell me about false aralia? I bought one, and it's just losing leaves like crazy. I have it next to a window with soft light, I keep it misted, no drastic temperature extremes. Any tips? It cost me a fair amount of $ and I'd really like to keep it healthy. Mom had one back in the day and it did fine.

I've had 2 false aralias. Both had the same symptoms as yours and died. I moved on. That plant was probably the most finicky plant I've ever tried, along with lucky rabbit's foot ferns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Kenning posted:

I just finished the 100th post on my carnivorous plant blog. In celebration I took a picture of every plant in my collection.

Check out the rest of the post here.

:toot:

This is so awesome. I would have a field day at your house.