Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My iPhone 5 screen is popping out on the left side. If the battery is swolen should I bother taking it in or just replace it myself? Nearly 2 years old, no warranty, not part of the recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

FCKGW posted:

My iPhone 5 screen is popping out on the left side. If the battery is swolen should I bother taking it in or just replace it myself? Nearly 2 years old, no warranty, not part of the recall.

You should at least try. Worst case scenario, you can go with your other option. Best case, new free phone.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

So after I got my iPhone 5 battery replaced under the program the Apple store guy told me that I should not leave it plugged in all day/night. Is this real? I thought, like, use it until red once a month was the way?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

chaosbreather posted:

So after I got my iPhone 5 battery replaced under the program the Apple store guy told me that I should not leave it plugged in all day/night. Is this real? I thought, like, use it until red once a month was the way?

It doesn't really matter here in the glorious year of 2014.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
/\/\ this is actually the right answer. Convenience and lack of annoyance is a bigger deal than min/maxing the cycles you get out of your battery.

chaosbreather posted:

That's exactly the opposite of what you should do. Battery science says that it's ideal to keep your stuff charged between 20-80%, and it's absolutely to be avoided to keep it charged at around 100% for like 8 hours a day (like when you plug it in all night). The Apple Store guy is probably thinking of cycles alone, which don't make up the whole story.

Personally I charge mine when I get home for like an hour and top it up to 100% in the morning before I leave. It's pretty hassle free.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

I think girls put their phones in their back pocket because they only make 70% of what men make, but also because their front pockets are incredibly small.

Don't forget menses.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

various cheeses posted:

Dammit iphone 6, I'm about to get throttled on at&t's lovely unlimited plan.

How bad is this going to be?

loading web pages is ok but streaming is pretty bad.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

My girlfriend's iPhone 5s seems to have an issue with a lot of storage being taken up by "other". Around 5gb ish. Around tips for reducing and eliminating that?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

omg chael crash posted:

My girlfriend's iPhone 5s seems to have an issue with a lot of storage being taken up by "other". Around 5gb ish. Around tips for reducing and eliminating that?

Install fresh or get that iPhoneClean computer app and go wipe out a bunch of rando poo poo.

Gandhi Theft Auto
May 15, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Mailbox was suggested by some people in here to me and it's loving dope as hell. Slick interface and feels like an app as opposed to the gmail app which just felt like gmail through safari

Yeah but does it push because MY PUSH GMAIL

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Gandhi Theft Auto posted:

Yeah but does it push because MY PUSH GMAIL

Yes.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Honestly, there is no good reason why the default mail app doesn't support push Gmail. For whatever reason, it is missing IMAP IDLE (which is what every other mail client uses to push Gmail unless you are using Exchange). My loving Palm 755P had IMAP IDLE 7-8 years ago... Seems like its a middle finger to Google, plain and simple.

A tomato
Aug 16, 2014

by Ralp
Acting like push email isn't a 100% vital out-of-box feature for basically anyone with a real professional job is weird. Mailbox looks really slick and I bet the user experience is great. I'm not giving Dropbox (or any other company) unfettered access to my email account and the contents of my email.

Gandhi Theft Auto
May 15, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

Honestly, there is no good reason why the default mail app doesn't support push Gmail. For whatever reason, it is missing IMAP IDLE (which is what every other mail client uses to push Gmail unless you are using Exchange). My loving Palm 755P had IMAP IDLE 7-8 years ago... Seems like its a middle finger to Google, plain and simple.

I'm sure they'll announce it as some huge groundbreaking feature at a keynote at some point. Remember MMS?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Maybe I didn't understand how the new photo stream thing works, but is it supposed to be that all photos are stored in full quality in iCloud, and only ones that I favourite on a device are stored offline?

I want to have a big library of holiday and pet photos in the cloud but there's only a handful that I'd really like to have without needing Internet access. How do I do this, and will folders I make on one device become the same folders on another or do I need to organise everything twice?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That is how it is supposed to work but it was delayed and didn't actually ship with iOS 8. So it still works like it used to.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Pissingintowind posted:

You've got it backwards. Mail is capable of pushing gmail but Google won't allow it without whatever that call they're paid account. We all had it and then Google gave us the middle finger.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Suqit posted:

You've got it backwards. Mail is capable of pushing gmail but Google won't allow it without whatever that call they're paid account. We all had it and then Google gave us the middle finger.

No, he has it right. Gmail dropped support for push via Exchange, for everyone.

Meanwhile, they support IMAP-IDLE on Android handsets (and Windows, and Blackberry, I think) to push mail notifications.

iOS does not support IMAP-IDLE, and might never, for speculative reasons. But it could with some minor coding, I'm certain.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
iOS generally handles email horribly.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

maduin posted:

iOS generally handles email horribly.

Works fine for me.

Does everyone bitching about gmail not having push support use a free gmail account for work or something? Like why do you care so much about a personal gmail account getting emails instantly pushed to your device? My work email uses exchange like normal and I get emails pushed to my phone before Outlook sees them which is great, for work email.

Do you really need to be instantly notified of your Amazon and brazzers.com receipts or whatever the gently caress goes to your personal gmail?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I'm not sure what "real professional job" uses free Gmail accounts for business purposes.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

e. nvm

Gio fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 28, 2014

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I was using Mailbox but I get a lot of automated alert emails for sites that I manage (sometimes meaning hundreds of emails within a few minutes if some Chinese spam bot is trying to find vulnerabilities in a site that I run) and even after setting up a filter to automatically delete alerts about something I didn't have time to fix Mailbox was still depleting my battery like crazy, which made me speculate that it was still getting notified about the new filtered email and just declining to send me the notification. The desktop app also had an update that mangled my work signature, and since it doesn't actually let you SEE your signature I spent a whole day sending out emails to clients with a signature that had no line breaks. So yeah, Mailbox is a cool idea but it's not ready for prime time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

smackfu posted:

That is how it is supposed to work but it was delayed and didn't actually ship with iOS 8. So it still works like it used to.
Ah ok. I'll hold off tidying my photo library until it's patched back in then.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Ah ok. I'll hold off tidying my photo library until it's patched back in then.

Although I have it enabled on my iPhone 6 but it is marked as "beta". It pushes pictures to my iPad taken from my iPhone but I have no idea if it uploads to the cloud and deletes the full resolution image from my phone or not. I figured after enabling it would look at the 6gb of older photos and do some magic on them and reduce that number to 2-3gb, but it has not. :iiam:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

A tomato posted:

Acting like push email isn't a 100% vital out-of-box feature for basically anyone with a real professional job is weird. Mailbox looks really slick and I bet the user experience is great. I'm not giving Dropbox (or any other company) unfettered access to my email account and the contents of my email.

Hi I'm a real professional and set my email to poll once an hour because as an actual professional I don't need to instantly respond to some chucklefucks questions. They can wait a whole 1-60 minutes. By professional I wonder if you think that was interchangeable with sysadmin or something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

spunkshui posted:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

Consumer reports tested bendgazi out. I will now stop treating my phone like its a single stick of gum.

They actually found the plus to be stronger. It is a thicker phone after all.
Wait, so you're saying social media completely overreacted to an isolated anecdote, then traditional media took it even further because they're desperate for ad revenue?!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess it just seems like a really obvious fuckup to me. If they had done a 4-point test they would have known. Apple will be fine, but it's an embarrassment and I'm sure it will be fixed with a silent revision in 6 months or at the very worst with next year's model.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I just don't understand why people are concerned that a grown man can bend a phone in half using all his might... no one was snapping Razrs in half and claiming they had structural defects in 2006. Give me one of every cell phone model ever made and I will snap them all in half like the goddamn Vaudeville sideshow this has turned into (no candybar Nokias allowed).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pzy posted:

I just don't understand why people are concerned that a grown man can bend a phone in half using all his might... no one was snapping Razrs in half and claiming they had structural defects in 2006. Give me one of every cell phone model ever made and I will snap them all in half like the goddamn Vaudeville sideshow this has turned into (no candybar Nokias allowed).
But he used his "bare thumbs". Don't you know how weak thumbs are?!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I've developed a test to see if your pants will bend your iPhone. Fold a piece of paper into a 158.1 mm x 77.8 mm rectangle and put it in your pocket. Take it out at the end of the day. iPhone 6 Plus will bend similarly to this piece of paper, so now you know if bendghazi will personally affect you.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Countdown to artisan-bent iPhone 6+s becoming a new fashion statement.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

bobfather posted:

No, he has it right. Gmail dropped support for push via Exchange, for everyone.

Meanwhile, they support IMAP-IDLE on Android handsets (and Windows, and Blackberry, I think) to push mail notifications.

iOS does not support IMAP-IDLE, and might never, for speculative reasons. But it could with some minor coding, I'm certain.

The second i saw that push was going to stop working my wife and I jumped ship to an icloud email account. She need a new email for her new last name anyway.

Google could have just kept suporting exchange.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
Can you not buy an iPhone with ATT next at an Apple store, or is this just something goofy with my account?

It's not letting me do a personal pickup if I select next, and I'm not sure what exactly is going on there.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

cstine posted:

Can you not buy an iPhone with ATT next at an Apple store, or is this just something goofy with my account?

It's not letting me do a personal pickup if I select next, and I'm not sure what exactly is going on there.

Its trying to save you from paying twice for your phone.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Hasters posted:

Huh?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just a quick informal update about me and my BIGphone.

I've had it since Thursday and every day is less awkward than the last. There are still moments when I find it unwieldy, but those are increasingly rare.

Still curious on some (newer) games that I play if they just naturally have some stutters or if that would have been smooth on a regular 6.

OIS is nuts. I ran alongside my kid in the grass and the video looks like the camera is on a loving dolly or something.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Hasters posted:

Yeah that's not how it works at all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I need to stop reading comment threads about the CR testing. People who know literally nothing about mechanics hypothesizing about how the testing is or is not similar to sitting down with the phone in a pocket are giving me a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Hasters posted:

Unless I am missing something here, it amazes me that there are people who still think like this.