Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not really, though Adventure mode stages can get hard quick if you're using under levelled characters. It does seem like you have to pay a bit more attention than other Warriors games though because stuff gets taken over really loving quickly if you just let it slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

CappyBottoms posted:

A Suikoden Warriors game would be my dream game. With the Zelda one and Dragon Quest one I can only hope and pray.
So to get the golden ending you have to complete the campaign without a single friendly officer dying? :v:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Anybody with Hyrule Warriors want to be friends on Wii U so we can maybe get bonuses in Adventure mode? I use the same name on there.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

CappyBottoms posted:

A Suikoden Warriors game would be my dream game. With the Zelda one and Dragon Quest one I can only hope and pray.

With Hyrule Warriors in front of us and DQ Warriors imminent, Final Fantasy Warriors seems like a logical progression. Both Squeenix and KOEI like properties that arbitrarily print money.

edit: friend invites will come from ShockLobster, add also if anyone wants!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can add me if you like, my ID is: DeathShiki

5er posted:

With Hyrule Warriors in front of us and DQ Warriors imminent, Final Fantasy Warriors seems like a logical progression. Both Squeenix and KOEI like properties that arbitrarily print money.

There already an FF monster hunter game in the works so a Musou game is the next logical step.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

PureRok posted:

Anybody with Hyrule Warriors want to be friends on Wii U so we can maybe get bonuses in Adventure mode? I use the same name on there.

Sure, why not? Sent you an invite. My Nintendo ID is the same as my SA user name, if anyone wants to send an invite.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'll take some Hyrule Warriors friends. ID is iastSA

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

5er posted:

I'm stoked for 4 and I'm looking forward to seeing how the features I really liked from 3DS' 'Chronicles' integrated into this title.

Trying some pvp in Destiny got me so disgusted with the game that I impulsively picked up Hyrule Warriors for a palette cleanser :v: No regrets. I'm a few maps deep in both story and adventure modes and I'm really enjoying it! I'm kind of wondering at what's being considered so difficult about it so far, but then again I'm a veteran of so many of these titles. One thing I've learned from them, is to pay attention to the dialogue and chatter that occurs during a battle, as it often tells you where to go next, and not to ignore your allied officers when they screech for help.

If I had to guess, it's Volga's fault. After his first couple appearances, he suddenly decides to stop screwing around and starts really starts spamming big, sweeping, guard-breaking attacks and almost all of his Weak Points are either very short lived or after attacks hard to avoid. He's not that bad as long as your character has a weak launcher as their Charge 2 they can follow up but he's the first guy who demands you a) Learn to dodge and b) doesn't let you just sit and wait until the Weak Point icon shows up as an obvious HIT ME NOW sign.

Fittingly enough, he's still being played as pretty much the heaviest guy on the field whenever he shows up by a large margin, but I've only just wrapped up the first branched section of Legend Mode.

Some of the beefier leader monsters can be pretty mean too- the dragon-dudes are a lot like Volga in that they don't like to cause Weak Points much, so you often just gotta do the same thing and sock them in the jaw with short combos repeatedly.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I'm tooooooo_bad on wii u if anyone wants to add me. That's with 7 o's

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Although I haven't finished it, I'm going to say that "Beware Cucco's counterattack!" is probably the best line in Hyrule Warriors.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 28, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mr. Locke posted:

If I had to guess, it's Volga's fault. After his first couple appearances, he suddenly decides to stop screwing around and starts really starts spamming big, sweeping, guard-breaking attacks and almost all of his Weak Points are either very short lived or after attacks hard to avoid. He's not that bad as long as your character has a weak launcher as their Charge 2 they can follow up but he's the first guy who demands you a) Learn to dodge and b) doesn't let you just sit and wait until the Weak Point icon shows up as an obvious HIT ME NOW sign.

Fittingly enough, he's still being played as pretty much the heaviest guy on the field whenever he shows up by a large margin, but I've only just wrapped up the first branched section of Legend Mode.

Some of the beefier leader monsters can be pretty mean too- the dragon-dudes are a lot like Volga in that they don't like to cause Weak Points much, so you often just gotta do the same thing and sock them in the jaw with short combos repeatedly.

That's good quality advice. But my biggest tip to 'use dodge a lot and learn how it works,' was the 'Team Ninja' logo when I was first loading the game :v:

Volga's been a pushover on those first encounters but I didn't expect it to last.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I finished Legend Mode. The final boss was pretty great; it definitely felt like an actual Zelda boss. Now I get to replay the whole thing on Hard. :v:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Its like they intentionally made the Twilight Princess enemies and stages as annoying as possible

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I actually found the Darknut enemies to be one of the easier captains to take down, but yeah the Aerofalas or whatever are a huge pain, though the Hookshot helps a bit.

Personally I think the Moblins from the Skyward Sword levels are the worst. They just seem to have huge amounts of defense and even depleting their stamina gauge doesn't seem to do very much damage (or maybe I'm just underleveled).

5er
Jun 1, 2000

straight jerkers posted:

Its like they intentionally made the Twilight Princess enemies and stages as annoying as possible

I've noticed so far that the game is filled with lots of homage nods to the original games; this sounds very consistent.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Darknuts were a pain until I found my dodge button, but they're fine now unless I'm dealing with multiples.

Is there a way to sell extra weapons other than the "you can only have 10, pick some to toss" screen? I'd like to clean things up on my own terms.

And I've sent out friend requests, I'm also Bruceski on WiiU (man I'm happy we don't need friend codes anymore) is anyone wants to add me.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Is there a way to sell extra weapons other than the "you can only have 10, pick some to toss" screen? I'd like to clean things up on my own terms.

Well, fusing. Other than that, none that I can tell.

EDIT: Man, the checkpoint system in Hyrule Warriors is such a good idea. I hope it gets implemented into the rest of the franshise.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 28, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Finally beat Legend mode. That was pretty great, and that last boss was awesome too bad Lana was the only survivor other than Zelda so the Light Arrows were pretty weak. It's a little weird that you're still left with two blank spaces on that illustration even if you get every single one in the story mode, I figure they would have made it so finishing story mode got you one full pic.

I really hope that the Skulltulas help a bit of the annoyances I'm running into, such as not being able to overwrite stuff on a weapon, only put it into empty slots. Leveling up the Smithy so that's possible would be extremely useful. I have a feeling that it won't be able to add slots to a weapon like Warriors Orochi's fusion system does, otherwise the Apothecary mixes would be pointless.

Guess now I gotta go back and get all those heart pieces/containers from Legend mode. Not even going to try for the second Skulltulas until I get more levels and weapons from Adventure mode.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

CappyBottoms posted:

This, with all 108 Stars of Destiny as unlockable, playable characters. Make it so.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ScottyBomb posted:

This, with all 108 Stars of Destiny as unlockable, playable characters. Make it so.

108 per game (with a few overlaps, yes)

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
I've asked about this in a couple of places but to no avail right now, wondering if people here had some knowledge about the Support Skills for Bodyguards in DW8XLCE, and what determines how they get upgrades. You get an upgrade to their main skill like Fire Attack if you release enough officers, but sometimes the Support Skill changes by releasing a specific officer. I'm wondering if people have been documenting these skill upgrades and been able to figure out how they work. Even managed to upgrade a support skill more than once on Zhang He, but the same skill slot both times, so I'm wondering if one is always fixed or both can be upgraded. Any information on this will be appreciated.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
On a whim I decided to get WO3U for the ps4, its the first dynasty warriors game I have ever played. In the second mission, I'm getting one hit killed by the boss after 20ish minutes of the game being really easy. Am I doing something wrong? Is the game just that hard and I should bump the difficulty down to easy?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Billy Gnosis posted:

On a whim I decided to get WO3U for the ps4, its the first dynasty warriors game I have ever played. In the second mission, I'm getting one hit killed by the boss after 20ish minutes of the game being really easy. Am I doing something wrong? Is the game just that hard and I should bump the difficulty down to easy?
I forget, who is the boss of stage 2? Just a few characters have a super that can oneshot you, but in the early stages they will use them so infrequently that you have to be very unlucky to get hit by it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

Damage numbers are high all around. You can take a lot of damage if you're not careful but you can also dish out a lot of damage too. Just nail him with your Musou or Triple Musou.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

I forget, who is the boss of stage 2? Just a few characters have a super that can oneshot you, but in the early stages they will use them so infrequently that you have to be very unlucky to get hit by it.

I'm going to guess it's that son of a bitch Taira.

Billy, some advice- when you know you've got boss / difficult confrontations ahead, save your musou. I've developed a reflex where, with certain really dangerous characters, if I hear the unmistakable noise of a mosou go off, I'll set off mine. Mosous are pretty much sanctuary from boss mosous.

Keep on top of the mosou jugs / gold lion statues when you see them during risky fights, and try to let them sit until you need them for a quick refill.

Firing off mosou will also save you if you're getting just wailed on by a powerful hitter and letting them finish their combo means your rear end.

Also, do not forget your triple-mosou. In most cases the triple mosou is the 'gently caress this, I really don't want a fair fight' button. You ideally want to be using that for major confrontations anyways, because you'll get better rewards for doing so.

Final bit of advice, there's a little girl out there named Himiko whose mosou is the fastest one-shotter I've ever seen. Be careful around that little fucker.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Thanks all.

The game I don't think actually tells you how to do a triple musou attack. Apparently L2+R2? Ill have to try it. Yeah its definitely Taira.

The game isn't great at actually teaching you how to play, but I'm having mindless fun with it. (Well I was for the first stage + the first 90% of the second stage the two times I died on it).

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 28, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, the ones I can think of offhand that can kill you from full hit points on normal are Taira, Himiko, and Guan Yu.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, the ones I can think of offhand that can kill you from full hit points on normal are Taira, Himiko, and Guan Yu.

Motherfucking Masamune. I've lost a few Nagashino runs to that rear end in a top hat. :argh: He's probably less dangerous in Ultimate, though, due to being able to use air specials to escape.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Billy Gnosis posted:

Thanks all.

The game I don't think actually tells you how to do a triple musou attack. Apparently L2+R2? Ill have to try it. Yeah its definitely Taira.

The game isn't great at actually teaching you how to play, but I'm having mindless fun with it. (Well I was for the first stage + the first 90% of the second stage the two times I died on it).

Micah

There's a mid-mission save in the options, if you're approaching a boss and you're not sure how it's gonna go use it.

The exact same thing happened to me in the exact same place when I bought the PS4 version recently and I play tons of Warriors games and have even done that stage before in the original version, so it's a thing that happens. Or we're both idiots, I guess. :v:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
My roomate was a bid Zelda fan, and picked up Hyrule Warriors. It's pretty great, but he hasn't played ANY of the previous Warriors games. I think he's sold on the idea now. I've got a 360 and he has a ps3. It looks like DW8XL is still the new hotness. Does anyone know if it's better for either console? Does XL just have extra content?

I've not played a DW game since the Xox, and just found out I miss them!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

don't buy just xl. buy the normal dw8 first, xl is a sort of expansion pack. i don't know about those 2 consoles, but the ps4 and pc versions are cheaper cause they have the xl expansion and the base game bundled.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Get the PS3 version. The 360 doesn't have XL, so if you decide you want it you'll be out of luck. Alternately, the PC version is apparently quite good too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Maleketh posted:

Get the PS3 version. The 360 doesn't have XL, so if you decide you want it you'll be out of luck. Alternately, the PC version is apparently quite good too.
I still have unresolved minor problems with the controller though, but as a new player you may not notice; maybe I only notice because every DW game feels almost exactly the same and I have been playing them for a long time.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Davincie posted:

don't buy just xl. buy the normal dw8 first, xl is a sort of expansion pack. i don't know about those 2 consoles, but the ps4 and pc versions are cheaper cause they have the xl expansion and the base game bundled.

Maleketh posted:

Cool. Thanks for the advice!

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

5er posted:

I'm going to guess it's that son of a bitch Taira.

Billy, some advice- when you know you've got boss / difficult confrontations ahead, save your musou. I've developed a reflex where, with certain really dangerous characters, if I hear the unmistakable noise of a mosou go off, I'll set off mine. Mosous are pretty much sanctuary from boss mosous.

Keep on top of the mosou jugs / gold lion statues when you see them during risky fights, and try to let them sit until you need them for a quick refill.

Firing off mosou will also save you if you're getting just wailed on by a powerful hitter and letting them finish their combo means your rear end.

Also, do not forget your triple-mosou. In most cases the triple mosou is the 'gently caress this, I really don't want a fair fight' button. You ideally want to be using that for major confrontations anyways, because you'll get better rewards for doing so.

Final bit of advice, there's a little girl out there named Himiko whose mosou is the fastest one-shotter I've ever seen. Be careful around that little fucker.

I don't think I've used a mosou offensively in years. They're basically the perfect 'get-out-of-jail-free' cards.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still have unresolved minor problems with the controller though, but as a new player you may not notice; maybe I only notice because every DW game feels almost exactly the same and I have been playing them for a long time.

Are you talking about it not registering certain directions on the analog stick? At least for me, it only effects stuff inside the pre-mission base, and only towards the upper right. Can't say what it does to you though. Are you using a wired 360 controller or a PS3/4 one?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Are you talking about it not registering certain directions on the analog stick? At least for me, it only effects stuff inside the pre-mission base, and only towards the upper right. Can't say what it does to you though. Are you using a wired 360 controller or a PS3/4 one?
PS4 controller though the DS4 xinput tool. And yeah, besides the no diagonals thing, in combat sometimes it doesn't register inputs or that I have taken my finger off an input (maybe just limited to the block button, I can't tell). At the normal difficulty levels that's somewhat ok but at the higher difficulty levels, if I hit the musou button and a musou doesn't come out, I'm pretty hosed.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
That's pretty bad yea. I'm using a wired 360 controller and it gives me the problem I mentioned, but nothing as extreme as yours. I doubt its worth buying one whole controller for one game though. RIP Sanurai Sanders.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

That's pretty bad yea. I'm using a wired 360 controller and it gives me the problem I mentioned, but nothing as extreme as yours. I doubt its worth buying one whole controller for one game though. RIP Sanurai Sanders.
If it is due to the controller itself, it's the only game that has any problem with using the controller this way. The PS4 controller is the perfect thing otherwise. No games seem to know or care that it isn't a 360 controller.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Well its not actually due to the controller itself, that's for sure. Its just bad programming. You can purchase a wired 360 controller and be relatively less annoyed though :v:

sorry i called you sanurai