Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Hasters posted:

Its trying to save you from paying twice for your phone.

$200 upfront plus $25/mo for 24 months is more than $50 taxes upfront and 27.08/mo for 24 months. AT&T Next is a pretty great deal if you don't have to worry about a grandfathered data plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah I have a 128GB Plus on 12 month Next. Over 24 months I'm actually spending $12 more but have the option to upgrade next year if I want.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Feenix posted:

OIS is nuts. I ran alongside my kid in the grass and the video looks like the camera is on a loving dolly or something.

I tested the digital image stabilization on my 6 yesterday just walking on a train platform and it was creepy how much it smoothed out. I'm sure OIS is even that much better at it. It was actually kind of jarring to watch because it almost took the life out of it if that makes sense? Like if you watch a video someone took while hiking you sort of "feel" the footsteps that are represented by the shaking, etc. This just makes it seem like you're floating around like a spooky ghost or something. I find it odd that there doesn't seem to be a setting to turn it off anywhere because I'm sure some people might want to retain that effect.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

withak posted:

I need to stop reading comment threads about the CR testing. People who know literally nothing about mechanics hypothesizing about how the testing is or is not similar to sitting down with the phone in a pocket are giving me a headache.

No but look, man. You're not getting this! A three point test is clearly not enough. A four point test more closely resembles the conditions of a colossal butt slowly, deliberately, cruelly crushing our precious phones. Don't forget that in these real world scenarios, it isn't just a point load - butt load is applied over the entire surface of the phone. This is way worse for the structure of the phone for the same reasons why it hurts when you step on a floor tile and doesn't hurt when you step on a nail.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

is there any way to fix itunes wifi sync? ios8 seems to have hosed it for me

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CommanderApaul posted:

$200 upfront plus $25/mo for 24 months is more than $50 taxes upfront and 27.08/mo for 24 months. AT&T Next is a pretty great deal if you don't have to worry about a grandfathered data plan.

If you have a mobile share plan, which is everyone but a handful of grandfathered unlimited people, $25 of your $40/mo fee is to pay for the subsidy on your phone. You are also then paying an additional ~$40-$27 a month for one to two years for the privilege of not having to put $200 down. Plus if you only keep the phone for one year you'll have fully paid for it but have to turn it in to AT&T if you upgrade. It's a huge ripoff and no one should ever willingly agree to it.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4528404/att-next-phone-upgrade-plans-a-huge-ripoff

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Hasters posted:

If you have a mobile share plan, which is everyone but a handful of grandfathered unlimited people, $25 of your $40/mo fee is to pay for the subsidy on your phone. You are also then paying an additional ~$40-$27 a month for one to two years for the privilege of not having to put $200 down. Plus if you only keep the phone for one year you'll have fully paid for it but have to turn it in to AT&T if you upgrade. It's a huge ripoff and no one should ever willingly agree to it.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4528404/att-next-phone-upgrade-plans-a-huge-ripoff

That article is over a year old and AT&T has since made changes to the plan to actually be a pretty good deal. In fact it is better than a 2 year contract because AT&T gives you a monthly discount for being on Next.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Hasters posted:

Now if you have a mobile share plan above 10 gigs and Next you get $25 off your plan, so it's actually a pretty good deal. Next time make sure you're citing info that's not a year old.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phantom Limb posted:

Now if you have a mobile share plan above 10 gigs and Next you get $25 off your plan, so it's actually a pretty good deal. Next time make sure you're citing info that's not a year old.

It's only $15 off if you're on a plan with less than 10 GB, which is probably the bulk of people with only one line on their plan, in which case, the subsidy still works out a bit cheaper. (There's a bit of an oddity, though, where 6 GB and 10 GB cost the same if you're on Next or SIM-only, so that can help at least some heavy users.)

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
In other news, I saw a little person at the Big E (giant fair) yesterday navigating a 6+ without trouble. You have no excuses, goons

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

pzy posted:

In other news, I saw a little person at the Big E (giant fair) yesterday navigating a 6+ without trouble. You have no excuses, goons

Was it bent? Tell us about their jean pockets.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the name of the other popular keyboard app, not swift key?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's the name of the other popular keyboard app, not swift key?
Swype?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Swype or Fleksy.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Hasters posted:

Plus if you only keep the phone for one year you'll have fully paid for it but have to turn it in to AT&T if you upgrade.

This isn't true. You sound like the people I hear in line at the grocery store that heard a thing from a friend who heard a thing from a friend.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

TJChap2840 posted:

This isn't true. You sound like the people I hear in line at the grocery store that heard a thing from a friend who heard a thing from a friend.

Like my moms friend who told my mom to put the phone in airplane mode while charging since it makes the phone charge faster.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dutchbstrd posted:

Like my moms friend who told my mom to put the phone in airplane mode while charging since it makes the phone charge faster.

It might. The phone itself will use less power with the radios turned off, so the battery might get from 20% (or whatever) to 100% a little faster. Maybe there is some non-intuitive stuff going on in the way that the phone uses power when it is plugged in, but it is amazing how long the phone lasts in airplane mode with the screen not lit up.

Or you can just plug it in every night and never have to worry about it running out during the day.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 28, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fleksy. That's it. Thanks.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Google keyboard coming to iPhone anytime soon?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Have any of you had any experience with anything like this:

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/slickwraps/color-collection-white

I don't want/need an actual case (I've got carrier insurance, mainly to cover theft, and applecare) and only really need something that looks nice and can cover minor cosmetic damage. The thinner the better. This seems like it might be what I'm looking for, but if anyone has used it and thinks they're totally terrible I'd like to know.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TJChap2840 posted:

AT&T has a secret iPhone 6 fee! They'll change your plan to add it and you'll be paying $40 a month!!!

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
Well the math makes sense: It'll cost me $31.21 a month for 24 months for the 6/64gb, for a total of $749.04 on next.

If I do a contract, the service goes from $15 to $40 for the line, so it's $299 + $40 upgrade fee + ($25*24), or $939.

Taxes, of course, are not in either of these bits of math, but will make the contract worse.

So yeah, next is better.

But is there some reason I can't order that online?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

cstine posted:

Well the math makes sense: It'll cost me $31.21 a month for 24 months for the 6/64gb, for a total of $749.04 on next.

If I do a contract, the service goes from $15 to $40 for the line, so it's $299 + $40 upgrade fee + ($25*24), or $939.

Taxes, of course, are not in either of these bits of math, but will make the contract worse.

So yeah, next is better.

But is there some reason I can't order that online?

Next is like a lease and there are laws about where leased objects can be sent. ATT is the group providing the lease, so Apple can't act as an intermediary there but they can if you buy in store?

I'm sure I'm explaining this all wrong, but that's how it was explained to me at the Apple store.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Kaizoku posted:

Next is like a lease and there are laws about where leased objects can be sent. ATT is the group providing the lease, so Apple can't act as an intermediary there but they can if you buy in store?

I'm sure I'm explaining this all wrong, but that's how it was explained to me at the Apple store.

The weird part is Apple will ship it to me on next, but not let me pick it up.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Anyone experiencing little tiny pocket stuff getting caught in between the glass and aluminum?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

Well, it just took time to get whatever systems and legalese set for Apple to sell next. As of the 2nd week of September Apple can now sell next for existing customers. They cannot do new lines or do a next trade in or pay off. So can best buy and other places too.

There's a lot of confusion now though. The Apple reps at the store near me keep just telling people to do a two year contract "because it's better." I get the non commission thing, but you would think they would want to do the math on the plan options for the person so they get whichever one is cheaper.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 28, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

spunkshui posted:

The second i saw that push was going to stop working my wife and I jumped ship to an icloud email account. She need a new email for her new last name anyway.

Google could have just kept suporting exchange.

Ha, iCloud email, I'm sure that'll be reliable and secure :)

The reason Google wanted to stop supporting exchange on free accounts is that they have to pay Microsoft licensing fees to use it - presumably per device.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hey, guys! My wife has an iPhone 6 and whenever she takes a picture or video in landscape mode it comes out in portrait mode turned sideways. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? She is on the latest update and is using the generic camera app. Thanks!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Hey, guys! My wife has an iPhone 6 and whenever she takes a picture or video in landscape mode it comes out in portrait mode turned sideways. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? She is on the latest update and is using the generic camera app. Thanks!

Is ithe sideways when she looks at it on the phone, or when she opens it on a computer?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Has 8.0.2 fixed the Wifi issues yet? theres nothing in the notes that says it does.

I skipped 8.0.1 for obvious reasons.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Laserface posted:

Has 8.0.2 fixed the Wifi issues yet? theres nothing in the notes that says it does.

Nope.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sick of this piece of shite phone already. Why is iTunes so terrible when it comes to adding and deleting music? A full restore seeems to have fixed all other problems aside from the iTunes one. Now when I add music, I get 'preparing to update' constantly. Honestly, what a piece of shite.

Anyway, what program can I use to add/delete music from my device, aside from iTunes?

Aw fuckin hell no, now it's showing my phone as half full, consisting entirely of Other. gently caress sake. I need a replacement device.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Get an Android device, you're way too angry.

(I had the same thing happen, I restored the phone, restored from a backup, and resynced the music. I didn't have a shitfit about it though.)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TheJoker138 posted:

Have any of you had any experience with anything like this:

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/slickwraps/color-collection-white

I don't want/need an actual case (I've got carrier insurance, mainly to cover theft, and applecare) and only really need something that looks nice and can cover minor cosmetic damage. The thinner the better. This seems like it might be what I'm looking for, but if anyone has used it and thinks they're totally terrible I'd like to know.
In my experience all these wraps are crap. They're a pain to apply, never really apply perfectly, and inevitably start peeling away at the seams, which lets dirt in, which leads to more peeling, and eventually you just rip the poo poo off and enjoy your naked phone like god intended.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

withak posted:

Is ithe sideways when she looks at it on the phone, or when she opens it on a computer?

Both! She takes it correctly but as soon as the picture is produced its orientation is off.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Anyone experiencing little tiny pocket stuff getting caught in between the glass and aluminum?

We should be years past this considering everything is supposed to be fused together now. Very odd.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If my AT&T bill is currently $63 a month with 2gb of data, will Next make my bill higher or is it a better deal? I don't mind $200 for the new model upfront, more concerned over long term cost of Next. I'm looking at the base 16gb models of the 6 and 6 Plus.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Both! She takes it correctly but as soon as the picture is produced its orientation is off.

Congratulations, that is weird.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

When you open the camera app, do the icons rotate when you rotate the phone? Sometimes I've rotated the phone like a bus steering wheel when I'm taking a picture of something laying on a table and it doesn't rotate, and the picture comes out sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

IUG posted:

Get an Android device, you're way too angry.

(I had the same thing happen, I restored the phone, restored from a backup, and resynced the music. I didn't have a shitfit about it though.)

It's a complete loving joke. I'm within my rights to go abso mento and lose fifty plots, so I will.