Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Obviously the UK is going to laugh at us since they had chip and pin for decades before Canada ever did.

We now have contactless cards too. Just got one sent to me as a replacement for an expiring standard chip+pin card. Its gonna be fine until I get a second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Target has terminals that have a chip and pin slot, yet they have them blocked off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ikea had terminals with chip and pin slots way back in 2010.

Disabled, of course.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, in Phoenix, the apocalypse is happening. No electricity for hours, and there's half of a tree where my bug was parked this morning. Knocked both motorcycles over, too.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Geirskogul posted:

there's half of a tree where my bug was parked this morning.

Oh, drat. That hurts.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Geirskogul posted:

So, in Phoenix, the apocalypse is happening. No electricity for hours, and there's half of a tree where my bug was parked this morning. Knocked both motorcycles over, too.

drat dude. Say it isn't so :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, the bug is fine, but it was close.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

And of course today is a day when someone wanted to look at the Ranger :argh:

They made it after all, but their trip took at least twice as long as it should've.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Motherfucking previous owners.

Why the gently caress do you solder something that is not meant to be soldered? Oh wait, its because dumb fucks that make electrical problems worse. :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Why the gently caress do you solder something that is not meant to be soldered? Oh wait, its because dumb fucks that make electrical problems worse. :argh:

It's also how they fix radiators :negative:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Most terminals are PIN pads when you get into a decent sized or chain retailer, tied into the point of sale system. At least in the US, they're usually owned by the retailer with some kind of service agreement (where if one dies or gets broken, a new one gets sent out - larger places will keep a couple of spares on hand) - the only time I've seen them owned by the processor has been when it's a mom and pop place.* And even then, a decent chunk of mom and pop places have tied their card processing into their point of sale if they have anything beyond a basic cash register that they picked up from OfficeMax.

* Worked for a processor for a couple of years

:spergin:

It was like that here too, but in the mid '00s everyone except Wal-Mart and a couple others went to one of a small handful of standalone systems that are sometimes set up to talk to the POS via RS232 or some other serial/network bus. Basically any restaurant that isn't a major chain and most retail spots just expect the server/cashier to manually punch the amount in.
Have mobile debit machines caught on in the states? I was absolutely thrilled when those things started popping up in gut trucks, tool trucks, taxis etc.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My barber uses a mobile debit reader.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

oxygen sensor issues eh?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

oxygen sensor issues eh?

Alternator. They broke the connection to the battery some how. So instead of recrimping poo poo. They soldered it and made it weak as gently caress. Luckily a little help from the propane torch, swearing and all of the poo poo was out. Used a screw driver and pried the connector open, cleaned up some wire and bam. Fixed.

The o2 sensor has loving wire nuts. But its working so I'll leave well enough alone.

And on the plus side, I fixed an oil leak, put on a new power steering line. It dribbles a small small amount of engine oil but its acceptable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Quoting you again because I just looked at the radar. There's a third storm coming through now. :smithicide:

Also was (un)lucky enough to find yet more evidence that my mom's roof is really in dire need of replacement. She's known it has been due for a few years, but water coming inside around a windowframe that isn't getting any rain from the outside...yeah that roof is loving done :stonk:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Quoting you again because I just looked at the radar. There's a third storm coming through now. :smithicide:

Also was (un)lucky enough to find yet more evidence that my mom's roof is really in dire need of replacement. She's known it has been due for a few years, but water coming inside around a windowframe that isn't getting any rain from the outside...yeah that roof is loving done :stonk:

Just north of us a little hole called Moapa, NV got 6" in 2 hours. Which turned into 14' of flood waters.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tommychu posted:

It was like that here too, but in the mid '00s everyone except Wal-Mart and a couple others went to one of a small handful of standalone systems that are sometimes set up to talk to the POS via RS232 or some other serial/network bus. Basically any restaurant that isn't a major chain and most retail spots just expect the server/cashier to manually punch the amount in.
Have mobile debit machines caught on in the states? I was absolutely thrilled when those things started popping up in gut trucks, tool trucks, taxis etc.

A lot are connected via USB, though plenty of PC based POS systems still carry serial ports. Most of NCRs stuff is PC based.

The only mobile debit I've seen much of has been stuff like Square. I have an account with them myself; I've used it for stuff like garage sales - I see them a lot in food trucks, also at concerts for band merch. Their fees are downright reasonable.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 28, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Power is back, fourteen hours later.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Had to drive just over 100 miles, luckily most of it was motorway

It took 5 and a quarter hours

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

freelop posted:

It would have been just as fast on a bicycle.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

meatpimp posted:

It would have been just as fast on a bicycle.

Seriously. It takes us yanks about 1 1/4 hours to 2 hours mostly legally to drive 100 miles depending on local conditions, local speed limits, and/or effort levels of the local/state police departments

stump
Jan 19, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Seriously. It takes us yanks about 1 1/4 hours to 2 hours mostly legally to drive 100 miles depending on local conditions, local speed limits, and/or effort levels of the local/state police departments

1:30 - 1:45 per 100 miles pretty typical for the UK in my experience in you are on the motorway, but the Middle / South of England can sometimes get proper hosed by traffic jams.

The roads I typically drive in Scotland and I can reliably average 50-60 mph door to door despite being mostly single carriageway with a spattering of 30 limits through villages and towns. Although if you aren't willing to "make progress" that drops down to 45 ish.

stump fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 28, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So our HHR was driven through some deep water after an awesome deluge here, not deep enough to get into the intake, however now the idle is higher than normal (1k rpm), the car is vibrating like it has bad motor mounts, and the A/C compressor kicks on and off constantly with the A/C on. The compressor is the lowest accessory on the motor and was probably under water for a period of time, is it possible the compressor is causing the symptoms? The idle remains high whether the a/c is on or off.

Thinking about resetting the ecu but I'm not too hopeful that it will do anything.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

leica posted:

So our HHR was driven through some deep water after an awesome deluge here, not deep enough to get into the intake, however now the idle is higher than normal (1k rpm), the car is vibrating like it has bad motor mounts, and the A/C compressor kicks on and off constantly with the A/C on. The compressor is the lowest accessory on the motor and was probably under water for a period of time, is it possible the compressor is causing the symptoms? The idle remains high whether the a/c is on or off.

Thinking about resetting the ecu but I'm not too hopeful that it will do anything.

Check if the throttle position sensor (if cable throttle) got wet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's drive by wire.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 204 days!)

leica posted:

It's drive by wire.

Check if the wires got wet. :haw:

A lot are connected via USB, though plenty of PC based POS systems still carry serial ports. Most of NCRs stuff is PC based.

I used to do PCI compliance. To wrap this up: Don't use a card you care about or can't afford to lose on the internet. Period. Even when a company is fully compliant with regulations (none are), there is always, ALWAYS a MitM attack possible. I fear for the day when somehow root server DNS gets poisoned again and google-analytics.com magically goes off to Prague, or somewhere nearby.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Bad temp sensor causing it motor to stay in high idle to warm up?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Think I'll go ahead and have the codes read, CEL was already on for an oxy sensor that I haven't got to yet so I don't know if it's it's gonna throw any codes or not. Worth a shot I guess.

Viggen posted:

Check if the wires got wet. :haw:

lol

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 204 days!)

But really, it is an HHR. Check the wires. They're probably already exposed. Grounding, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

I once had one of those "Excuse us while the Wombles close the road completely" situations that saw me take 6 hours to drive... none miles. You have my sympathy.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Watched the Big Lebowski today with my wife. First time she'd ever seen it..loved it.

Was also drinking white Russians the entire time. I just discovered a couple weeks ago that I LOVE this drink.

e:I picked up a used Sony STR DG720 on ebay for less than $100 a few weeks ago. LOVE this receiver. Center channel/vocal sound is so much clearer than my outgoing Panasonic. Very impressed.

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 28, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is AI as gently caress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY73f1bRO6Q

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sombody send me an ello invite, please. Facebook scares me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Pretty sure there's not enough alcohol and/or drugs in the world to make me forget today (yesterday, technically) ever happened.

2 hour+ delivery times when we had the staff to handle the rush, mostly because the person running the cut table kept mixing up orders. Then the GM would get pissy and kick something/punch a hole in a wall and cuss everyone out.

GM is fine with me transferring to another store (I've talked to him about going to a store that does more delivery business, also closer to home, and specifically citing trying to get away from the bar - he said he has no issue with that), but the area manager is cockblocking the transfer. There's another store owned by the same franchise that's much closer to home that only does delco (delivery/carry out), and I'd make far more money there.

Made a decent amount of cash ($88 in 5 hours, on top of my hourly), but that would have easily been closer to $150-200 if they didn't keep loving up orders left and right (i.e. they'd kept orders organized). By 8pm, there was a stack of pizzas (no boxes, just pizzas piled up) on the floor that was about 5 ft high - the cut table just dumped them into a stack if they couldn't figure out what order they went with. :wtf:

2 servers walked out, 2 drivers walked out, and at least 5 tables walked. If I had enough in savings to go a couple of months, I would have walked too. The only way to fix this store is to fire everyone and start from scratch. Or if you go by the Yelp reviews, burn it to the ground.

I know this is old but jesus wept. I was a cook for a lot of years, and that description of the pile of pies just makes me weep. There's your food cost for the month poo poo away.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Oh god I laughing so hard I'm crying, these videos are incredible.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

I know this is old but jesus wept. I was a cook for a lot of years, and that description of the pile of pies just makes me weep. There's your food cost for the month poo poo away.

Funny, one of the managers and I were talking about this yesterday. He gave away over $600 in food that night - that's not counting the food cost of the tower of pizza.

And yeah, it wiped us out for the month. They want to see <$1000 in losses a month (preferably under $500) - that number includes customer satisfaction (free meals).

On that note, guess who's going on on his day off? :smith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
poo poo. Did they fire half your crew yet? Because it would cost them less to have been loving closed that night than to have that level of a poo poo show in their kitchen.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

That's pretty loving bad (even if a few of the points are pretty decent). Look up the Paul Hogan show, he did that a hell of a lot better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

loving scumbags.

Sums up my feelings right now pretty well.

Just came home from a very nice weekend with the family, only to discover that my motorcycle is gone. Like completely gone, they even took the loving lock and chain it was locked to a street sign with.

I am in a murderin' mood right now.

• Locked thread