Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

jassi007 posted:

I have noticed I guess I just don't get why. The outcome of such a thing is decks that are really similar. It gets closer to "what color do you like besides green?"

Its because they don't like the feel-bads when players don't get to cast spells, and WotC wants to focus people on on-board interactions and creature combat. Which since land destruction and countermagic are both sucky as hell in new sets, makes green the de facto best color because you have more mana than everyone else in a format where you can't efficiently counter spells or destroy lands to keep things off the table. Combine that with the fact that green almost always gets some of the best creatures and its stupid to not play that color. WotC wanted to reduce the feel-bads of never casting a relevant spell, and make everything focus on on-board interactions, and they sort of succeeded: but they keep printing better and better creatures without good spells to counteract their impact, reducing the number of playable archetypes to durdley base-green midrange, linear strategies (like mono-red, devotion strategies etc.), and control decks that every year have worse and worse options to fight goodstuff.dec and are slowly losing ground in modern magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Except UW Control was probably the best deck in last Standard? Sphinx's Rev, Detention Sphere, Supreme Verdict, and Aetherling were incredible cards.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

stinkles1112 posted:

Do these people not remember Lightning Angel? How can you look at Mantis Rider and not see an obviously playable card?

My brother was hyped about playing Jeskai and Mantis Rider because of his nostalgia for Lightning Angel in ye olden Type II. He's now excited that Jeskai is a thing he can feasibly do in Standard.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Zorak posted:

Except UW Control was probably the best deck in last Standard? Sphinx's Rev, Detention Sphere, Supreme Verdict, and Aetherling were incredible cards.

Even if you're not of the opinion that the deck was UW control, the top decks still weren't anything like Green dominated. G/R or Jund Monsters, sure, but then it was Mono-B (plus splashes for any other colour), Mono-U, and UW control.

(I know that's not your point, Locke, this is for a couple of the other complainers.)

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 28, 2014

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Blah, last night Mantis Riders were like 2.50 and I traded them for some Temples of Silence and now they've jumped up to like 8.00 a piece.

I knew one of those trades was going to go badly for me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mischalaniouse posted:

Blah, last night Mantis Riders were like 2.50 and I traded them for some Temples of Silence and now they've jumped up to like 8.00 a piece.

I knew one of those trades was going to go badly for me.

I knew they were going to rise, but gently caress thats a big gain.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Mostly unrelated to anything going on, but I was just thinking back to how when I first started playing ~ 2 years ago, people kept going on about how Red was the worst and Wizards just wouldn't let red decks ever be good or do anything interesting. Red's been pretty sweet as of late.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
There's cycles of that for every color in every new format. Since I started playing in the late 90's I've seen every color be decried as the 'red-headed stepchild' for some period of time. That's not to say that it wasn't a correct assessment sometimes, but mostly it's just sour grapes/totally subjective determinations.

Green really was bad for a long time though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah. Not every Standard Format can support every color equally.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zorak posted:

It wasn't the best deck but it pushed the format in certain ways that you had to have a gameplan against it. If this R/W/B Control deck becomes the sweeper-heavy deck of the format, then we'll see people probably push more towards siege rhino type cards. If sweepers don't get played as much, then Yisan type decks or tempo will probably take over.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zorak posted:

Mostly unrelated to anything going on, but I was just thinking back to how when I first started playing ~ 2 years ago, people kept going on about how Red was the worst and Wizards just wouldn't let red decks ever be good or do anything interesting. Red's been pretty sweet as of late.

Agree. I've been very happy with red cards lately. I wish the mono-red devotion deck last standard had panned out a little more, i really liked it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So there's some talk in control decks about running Perilous Vault since it can deal with EVERYTHING on turn 5 and the mana requirements are incredibly good, even if you're taking two turns off.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Are there any chances of ever seeing Counterspell back in standard?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If Perilous Vaults becomes "A Thing" we'll be seeing Destructive Revelry, Naturalize, Shatter, Sultai Charm (as if you wouldn't play this in a Sultai deck), and maybe Solemn Offering coming out of Sideboards.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Rinkles posted:

I don't think it will come back unless the designers/developers have a change of heart.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

<--

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd just like to once experience how it warps the game in a standard environment, but I suppose it's effect on modern would be unacceptable.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Rinkles posted:

I'd just like to once experience how it warps the game in a standard environment, but I suppose it's effect on modern would be unacceptable.

Lets put bolt, dark rit and swords to plow shares back too. Each color except green gets a crazy powerful thing! Green can have berserk maybe?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

Ban it in modern. Fin.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I think Red should continue to be interesting to watch for the near future as Wizards tries to figure out how best to use the Elkin Bottle tech. They seem to be still very carefully testing it, and Act On Impulse probably suffered for that, but I imagine they'll work out roughly where to go with it. I guess we just have to see whether the mistakes are more Act On Impulse or more Skullclamp.

Also we need a better name for it than Impulse (already taken) or Elkin Bottle tech.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Temporary draw?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
YOHO (you only have once). :v:

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I'd really like Fact or Fiction available in modern and think it'd be fine in an 18 month standard. I think it's a skill testing card that doesn't invalidate whole classes of cards like Sphinx' Revelation

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Lurchington posted:

I'd really like Fact or Fiction available in modern and think it'd be fine in an 18 month standard. I think it's a skill testing card that doesn't invalidate whole classes of cards like Sphinx' Revelation
We have fact or fiction its called Steam Augury. #thingsWOTCthinks

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Fact or Fiction is too good for Standard. The only way it could come back might be as 2UU instead of 3U, but honestly it's a 5+ mana effect under the current design paradigm.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

So wait people spent all of the last standard season bitching about revelation and now they want Fact or Fiction in standard?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

awesomebrah posted:

So wait people spent all of the last standard season bitching about revelation and now they want Fact or Fiction in standard?

F&F for Modern, and having it in Standard would be a consequence.

Alas, F&F is backbreaking with as powerful as cards are.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
How much play did Sphinx of Uthuun get? 'Cause that's Fact or Fiction strapped to a 5/6 Flier for 5UU.

I could see them maybe doing a Functional FoF reprint that's a Sorcery instead of Instant at some point in the future.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

How much play did Sphinx of Uthuun get?

It showed up in a few variants of Heartless Summoning so basically none.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

How much play did Sphinx of Uthuun get? 'Cause that's Fact or Fiction strapped to a 5/6 Flier for 5UU.
4 mana to 7 mana is a big difference, especially if you want the card draw effect particularly.

quote:

I could see them maybe doing a Functional FoF reprint that's a Sorcery instead of Instant at some point in the future.
Not what the word means. Though it would certainly help to avoid everything that EOTFOFYL meant when Fact or Fiction was last around.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rinkles posted:

bolt has a better chance of coming back and right now it's chance is pretty loving awful tbh

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Sleep of Bronze posted:

4 mana to 7 mana is a big difference, especially if you want the card draw effect particularly.

Not what the word means. Though it would certainly help to avoid everything that EOTFOFYL meant when Fact or Fiction was last around.
Well people have played Jace's Ingenuity and other pretty meh card draw before. 5 mana sorcery fact of fiction would see some play in standard, but it'd see zero play in modern.

Blue seems like it will be going through a slump in the current standard. I think a few decks are going to mostly be splashing blue for sideboard counter spells and main deck draw(treasure or dig).

quick edit: Speaking of Treasure Cruise, first on cam casting of it from a U/R Delver deck and it hits Bolt, Bolt, Mountain.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

stinkles1112 posted:

Do these people not remember Lightning Angel? How can you look at Mantis Rider and not see an obviously playable card?

I think the extra point of toughness was a big deal. You can't Lightning Strike a 3/4.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I didn't think the wedge names would trickle to Legacy where delver variant names are so ingrained, but sure enough there's a guy on Sultai Delver on stream right now.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I didn't think the wedge names would trickle to Legacy where delver variant names are so ingrained, but sure enough there's a guy on Sultai Delver on stream right now.

SCG has been doing that, regardless of what people put on their registration sheets. As soon as the wedge names got spoiled, they switched everything over.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

The wedge names are awful, BUG and RUG at least should remain BUG and RUG since they are both descriptive, and commonly known. MAYBE the names for Dega and Raka are more newb friendly, but they shouldn't replace their already dumbed down descriptive names they saddled us with over the past few years. I miss when they were called Team America and Canadian Threshold...

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

The wedge names are awful, BUG and RUG at least should remain BUG and RUG since they are both descriptive, and commonly known. MAYBE the names for Dega and Raka are more newb friendly, but they shouldn't replace their already dumbed down descriptive names they saddled us with over the past few years. I miss when they were called Team America and Canadian Threshold...
It's just SCG renaming them. Last time I heard on stream is that they prefer putting up BUG or RUG instead of fun names. So no fun allowed.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

SCG has been doing that, regardless of what people put on their registration sheets. As soon as the wedge names got spoiled, they switched everything over.

Yeah I assumed it was part of the same push of having all article authors consistently refer to wedges with clan names rather than acronyms to help with the release of Khans. It's just jarring to see for the first time in a non-Standard context. Figured it was them changing it, too, rather than players registering with the new names.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Goons, what is your preferred 5 drop for a Temur Monsters deck- Sarkhan, Stormbreath Dragon, Prognostic Sphinx, Surrak Dragonclaw, Keranos, God of Storms or Nissa Worldwaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Samael posted:

Goons, what is your preferred 5 drop for a Temur Monsters deck- Sarkhan, Stormbreath Dragon, Prognostic Sphinx, Surrak Dragonclaw, Keranos, God of Storms or Nissa Worldwaker?
Stormbreath.

• Locked thread