Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So it was like a one-handed Sonic Blast Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
He would have a robot steampunk arm of course.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

The sheer betrayal I would feel if Hitler wasn't back for the tutorial.... Well it would be a lot okay.

This, but unironically. :godwin:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Do it Goofus and Gallant style.

"Benito declares war before his troops are organized, and attacks into mountains without mountain divisions. Adolf advances quickly with his motorized units and circumvents the enemy defenses."

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

This, but unironically. :godwin:

Tutorial Hitler Did Nothing Wrong.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Randallteal posted:

"Benito declares war before his troops are organized, and attacks into mountains without mountain divisions. Adolf advances quickly with his motorized units and circumvents the enemy defenses."

This but unironically.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
It's going to be MacArthur or Montgomery just so I'll die of an aneurysm upon opening the tutorial.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Randallteal posted:

It's probably too late by now and they already have a (poor) tutorial concept, but YES - This is how you put Hitler into your tutorials, not whatever the hell that HoI3-thing was.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's going to be MacArthur or Montgomery just so I'll die of an aneurysm upon opening the tutorial.

No, it's obviously going to be Voroshilov and the tutorial will teach you how to play wrong as a joke.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It's time to bomb Pearl Harbor, Player-Sempai! Let's do our best! :keke:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hitler's tutorial on international diplomacy.
Mao's (little red) tutorial on IC development.
Stalin's tutorial on maintaining an officer corps.
Ghandi's tutorial on war.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Randallteal posted:

Even better if it's done with 1940s-style comics instead of the usual gameplay tutorial that has you clicking buttons and stuff.

This makes me long for the days when gimmicky game manuals were still a thing :corsair:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Ghandi's tutorial on war.

Putting IC and Research into Nuclear Reactors is pretty useful, tbf.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

podcat posted:

Autonomous Monster posted:

e: "We're going to be putting a lot more time into the tutorial this time."

YOU SAY THAT EVERY TIME

EVERY

TIME

:byodood:

we do though!
Will it reach the critical mass of time where it can be directly integrated into someone starting a game with any nation (or at least a few with good teaching predispositions like cores to be reclaimed or something) and jump in during "teachable moments" like when the player first has a revolt, goes to war, has inflation getting too high, can't get any of a particular resource to build a factory, has their demesne divided up due to inheritance rules, etc.?

Having a detailed tutorial is nice, but I feel like no amount of refinement to an ~hour long, minimal freedom of exploration tutorial will make it adequate to address much of the complexity of Paradox titles. Having mistake-triggered tutorials in a normal game (able to be turned off in options) could spread learning out over many hours and probably help immensely to prevent new players from being overwhelmed by things they don't understand.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Randallteal posted:

I have no real interest in HoI but I would buy the game anyway if this was in it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SkySteak posted:

Putting IC and Research into Nuclear Reactors is pretty useful, tbf.

:unsmigghh:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 26, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

First dev diary for Cities: Skylines is out: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?802639-Cities-Skylines-Dev-Diary-1-Roads

It's not Grand Strategy but it's a city sim which seems to attract a similar crowd, and it seems rude to throw it in the Citybound thread (and it looks actually good so it wouldn't belong in the Simcity thread)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

bUm posted:

Will it reach the critical mass of time where it can be directly integrated into someone starting a game with any nation (or at least a few with good teaching predispositions like cores to be reclaimed or something) and jump in during "teachable moments" like when the player first has a revolt, goes to war, has inflation getting too high, can't get any of a particular resource to build a factory, has their demesne divided up due to inheritance rules, etc.?

Having a detailed tutorial is nice, but I feel like no amount of refinement to an ~hour long, minimal freedom of exploration tutorial will make it adequate to address much of the complexity of Paradox titles. Having mistake-triggered tutorials in a normal game (able to be turned off in options) could spread learning out over many hours and probably help immensely to prevent new players from being overwhelmed by things they don't understand.

March of the Eagles and CK2 had some of this, iirc? At least one of them did.

It's a good system, but hard to set up & maintain.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 26, 2014

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Speaking of Paradox-published versions of things that EA has hosed up, is that Cartel game still being made?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

First dev diary for Cities: Skylines is out: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?802639-Cities-Skylines-Dev-Diary-1-Roads

It's not Grand Strategy but it's a city sim which seems to attract a similar crowd, and it seems rude to throw it in the Citybound thread (and it looks actually good so it wouldn't belong in the Simcity thread)

So far it looks like CiM2 with zoning stuff on top of it. I wonder how much it will get into actual city building economics and whatnot or if their goal is to essentially make a really fancy transportation simulator.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

Chief Savage Man posted:

Speaking of Paradox-published versions of things that EA has hosed up, is that Cartel game still being made?

Cartel was cancelled because Paradox didn't feel like they could do the concept justice at the time according to this video.

Matthaeus fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 26, 2014

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I have a question about Vicky 2 tech. How good/bad is the psychology branch of the culture tree? Reg. experience +5 doesn't exactly tell me much and the wiki doesn't explain it either.

Edit; also what is the difference beetween Permanent Prestige and Shared Prestige (current)? How is the prestige shared?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Trogdos! posted:

I have a question about Vicky 2 tech. How good/bad is the psychology branch of the culture tree? Reg. experience +5 doesn't exactly tell me much and the wiki doesn't explain it either.

I don't really know either, but all the Let's Players I've seen have studiously ignored that branch in favour of basically anything else. Here's what the wiki says about it:

Psychology: Each tech here increases brigade reinforcement rate by 5% and brigade starting experience by 5%.

This tech tree is beneficial for strength regain of regiments for fighting war. Note that brigades reinforce at 200% in friendly territory but at only 50% in enemy territory, making this especially important for armies on the offensive, as each 5% bonus will lead to 10% faster reinforcement.

Experience is a bonus to damage dealt in combat, with each 5% providing a 5% increase. Brigades reinforce at the current experience level, so higher levels of psychology will ensure that elite brigade experience isn't overly lowered by being reinforced with entirely green recruits.

Behaviorism: It has the invention required to build Radio Factories. The invention Mass Advertising will also give 25% Educational Efficiency

So it looks... OK, I guess? Nothing you'd rush for, but you might grab a few levels when they're cheap compared to your alternatives. I guess the real problem with it is that it's not something you NEED TO HAVE NOW as opposed to stuff like +100% research points, so there's never really a time when it's a must-research.

Gort fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 27, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Trogdos! posted:

Edit; also what is the difference beetween Permanent Prestige and Shared Prestige (current)? How is the prestige shared?

Doesn't that branch also give reinforcement speed? That's highly important in the lategame.
All prestige is permanent insofar as there's no constant decrease like in EU. Shared prestige just means whoever discovers the invention first gets the full value and everyone who discovers it later gets a reduced bonus, down to 1 prestige after the first few I think. So if you look at an invention before the tech becomes available it'll say +10 shared prestige but then when everyone has discovered the invention already it'll say +1 shared prestige.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GrossMurpel posted:

Doesn't that branch also give reinforcement speed? That's highly important in the lategame.
All prestige is permanent insofar as there's no constant decrease like in EU. Shared prestige just means whoever discovers the invention first gets the full value and everyone who discovers it later gets a reduced bonus, down to 1 prestige after the first few I think. So if you look at an invention before the tech becomes available it'll say +10 shared prestige but then when everyone has discovered the invention already it'll say +1 shared prestige.

This is correct, except that permanent prestige is granted by the middle economic tech tree (economic theory IIRC); that gives improved factory input efficiency and permanent prestige, permanent prestige being prestige you just cannot lose, so if you get hit by an event or lose a war or fail your wargoal your prestige won't drop under that amount. All in all not terribly useful unless you can't survive dropping from 10 prestige or however much permanent prestige you've got down to 0.

Shared prestige gets halved every time a country discovers the invention until it hits 1.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Experience in V1 was a direct multiplier on the base unit for attack and defence (like gas attacks or defending a mountain pass), so getting it up to 100% doubled the effectiveness of the unit in all situations. Assuming V2 is similar, a 5% bonus to starting experience would be pretty neato, but not as good as an extra military tech.

Starting stats for an infantry regiment are 4 attack and 4 defence, so 5% bonuses on those are a crappy +0.2 to each.
But once you get a bunch of the military techs that goes up. Looking at the UK in the 1861 start, infantry is on 6 attack and 8 defence, so the experience techs would be giving +0.3 and +0.6 to attack and defence. That's about equivalent to a military tech all in itself.

I just checked and it applies to mobilised regiments as well as the standing army.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Bearserker posted:

Cartel was cancelled because Paradox didn't feel like they could do the concept justice at the time according to this video.

Oh, that's too bad. Looked really interesting.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Ok, compatibility question. I got Vicky 2 on gamersgate back in the day when it was first released. I've heard good things about the expansions. If I buy the expansions on Steam are they going to work together with the Gamersgate version?

I seem to remember there being issues with gamersgate and steam stuff in the past.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
You can install Gamersgate expansions on a Steam base game, but not the other way around.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Littlefinger posted:

You can install Gamersgate expansions on a Steam base game, but not the other way around.

Hmm...I really don't want to buy anything else from Gamersgate. :saddowns:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Charlz Guybon posted:

Hmm...I really don't want to buy anything else from Gamersgate. :saddowns:

You may be able to see if someone bought an extra one of these when it was on sale a couple weeks ago.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I've run into a strange problem. During my first playthrough as Britain, I wanted to ditch as many of my colonial holdings as I possibly could (mostly so I wouldn't have to be bothered defending them) and focus on taking over Europe. I released every nation that was releasable, but then around the 1880s the communists rose up and took over and I lost all of my satellites/dominions. The sheer number of them made it impossible to get all of them back in my sphere of influence, and many of them refused to ally with me because of our now-differing government types. I figured I'd rectify this on my second playthrough by not releasing any of them until communist rebels rose up and took over, but it's 1901 and I don't even have an active communist party, let alone communist rebels. Am I inadvertently doing something that's keeping them from popping into existence, or have I just gotten really unlucky with the RNG or whatever it is that decides when they crop up?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
If there's no party then the event enabling them hasn't happened yet, which is just RNG magic at work, yeah

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Allyn posted:

If there's no party then the event enabling them hasn't happened yet, which is just RNG magic at work, yeah

Bummer. I guess I'd never paid attention to when they became active before and just assumed it was sometime in the 1880s. Time to restart that game, I suppose.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Spakstik posted:

Bummer. I guess I'd never paid attention to when they became active before and just assumed it was sometime in the 1880s. Time to restart that game, I suppose.

Find the message setting for political parties being formed/becoming defunct and turn it to pop-ups. That's really helpful if you have a lot of different parties in your country.

Or keep an eye on your secondary messages but what kind of nerd does that lol.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
The default message settings for V2 are horrendous. Most Paradox games require some small tweaking, but the settings for V2 needs a complete rewrite. You're swamped by a bunch of uninteresting pop-ups and icons, but you don't get any notice when huge things like an ally abandoning your alliance, someone taking over as war leader in a war you're in or even when the war is over and who won.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
You also don't get notices when someone joins the war, which is fine when El Salvador is coming to Mexico's aid in a war between the USA player and Mexico, but annoying when you suddenly look over and notice the UK has taken over all of New England because nothing ever told you a whole new front has opened up in the war.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DrProsek posted:

You also don't get notices when someone joins the war, which is fine when El Salvador is coming to Mexico's aid in a war between the USA player and Mexico, but annoying when you suddenly look over and notice the UK has taken over all of New England because nothing ever told you a whole new front has opened up in the war.

Which is compounded by the fact that V2 has no warscore indicator icon on the map screen like EU4 and CK2 have. You can be cruising along occupying some country on the other side of the world for a few months until you check the diplomacy screen and think "wait, why do I have -10 warscore?" Then you get to feel your heart sink when you notice the Union Jack and its 10,000 satellites on the other end of your war.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Haha, that's exactly what happened in my first game on my new computer yesterday. I stubbornly decided to keep it going until I got what I wanted, but it was way too costly. Cue constant Jacobin/reactionary revolts and getting tag-teamed by Mexcio/England until ACW happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

DrProsek posted:

thats a good point. Other than that if you could fix a bug or change one (not overly advanced) thing in V2 what would it be?

• Locked thread