Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Likewise the U.S. gave the head of Japan's bioweapon research division Unit 731 a free pass from any sort of prosecution in the hope that his experimentation would give them something useful against the Soviet Union (it didn't.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

StandardVC10 posted:

Likewise the U.S. gave the head of Japan's bioweapon research division Unit 731 a free pass from any sort of prosecution in the hope that his experimentation would give them something useful against the Soviet Union (it didn't.)

The only idea Shiro Oshii had that the US actually tried was dropping plague infected Gophers into Mongolia.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

The most upsetting thing is this intelligence operations were not just limited to information, but material support too. The CIA had a great many Nazi's working for it in the early days. They hired Otto Skozeny to train some of the first Middle Eastern terrorists, intending to train them to fight against communists in the middle east, but old habits die hard. (I'd like to note this is directly from Skorzeny himself, so he may have been full of poo poo, but based on what the CIA has done, I'd not be surprised if it was true).

Naziness aside, Skorzeny was a hell of a soldier. I wouldn't doubt it at all.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

twistedmentat posted:

Now did they all join because they wanted to burn all the jews and shoot all the slavs and make the world a Germanic dominated one? No, there's a great many primary sources showing that many of the scientific and industrial leaders who were members of the party were horrified at what they were doing beyond the conduct of the war. It's not like they could speak out against it in public, and they knew where their bread was buttered. They wanted contracts to build tanks and airplanes, so they'd keep any personal reservations to themselves, or just pretend they don't know what's going on. There are a few execs at Farben that clearly had convinced itself that Zyklon B was just a pesticide, even though it was more powerful than what would be needed to kill bugs and rats.

Except that Farben personnel supervised human experimentation in several concentration camps, experimentation started on their own advice, so quite a lot of the VIPs must have known but decided to ignore it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Von Braun also never expressed any sort of regret or remorse at what he was involved in. That the V2s were built by slave labor in well the conditions you could imagine the Nazis make their slaves live and work in, that he witnessed and made no comment on in his autobiography speaks a lot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KomradeX posted:

Von Braun also never expressed any sort of regret or remorse at what he was involved in. That the V2s were built by slave labor in well the conditions you could imagine the Nazis make their slaves live and work in, that he witnessed and made no comment on in his autobiography speaks a lot.

If you ever watch any of those Disney tv specials about space travel that Von Braun hosted, they are hilariously circumspect about World War II and the role that Nazi science played in developing the Saturn Program. I think he straight-up says something like, "The German Army built on advancements from the previous generation to give to the world a new sort of rocket," when covering the history of space exploration.

As a bonus, they have some incredibly racist cartoons mixed in there too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Since we've been talking about Alien Files Unsealed on netflix, I thought some of you might appreciate this crazy thing also on netflix:

Mystery of the Sphinx:
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70023310?trkid=13462100

It aired on NBC in 1993 and is hosted by Charlton Heston. For about an hour it's just a kind of dull debate between people who say that the sphinx's erosion was caused by wind and those who say it was caused by water. It acknowledges that water erosion would mean that it was several thousand years older than generally accepted, which is crazy and clearly wrong, but kind of boring.

But about 15 minutes before the end, the whole thing shifts into high-octane crazy. Heston summarizes the special up to that point with a CG movie showing the sphinx being built and covered with sand. Then he says that Edgar Cayce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Cayce), a loving psychic from the 1920s who predicted that records from Atlantis would be found under the sphinx, and says that mysterious chambers have been found beneath the sphinx. He says that Atlantis built the sphinx, no explanation and no qualification.

Then the show cuts to Richard Hoagland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_C._Hoagland), a crank too storied to get into here, who says without qualification that Atalntis built the sphinx and was inspired by a civilization on Mars who built the face on Mars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cydonia_%28region_of_Mars%29#.22Face_on_Mars.22). He shows clips from a lecture he says he gave at the UN, but there's no loving way they'd let that loon into the UN. In his lecture he explains that if you mirror the sides of the face on Mars it kind of looks like an ape face, and then if you mirror that mirrored face the image kind of looks like a lion. Ergo spacemen got Atlantis to build the sphinx.

Then it cuts to Edgar Mitchell, an Apollo Program astronaut who says that it's perfectly reasonable to believe in Atlantis and spacemen. And then it ends with a really exasperated Egyptologist who explains why it's unlikely that an unknown civilization existed 50,000 years ago and left no traced except for a single statue. It's nuts, and this thing was on broadcast television. God knows how many impressionable people are going around even now spouting this horseshit.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jack Gladney posted:

Then it cuts to Edgar Mitchell, an Apollo Program astronaut who says that it's perfectly reasonable to believe in Atlantis and spacemen. And then it ends with a really exasperated Egyptologist who explains why it's unlikely that an unknown civilization existed 50,000 years ago and left no traced except for a single statue. It's nuts, and this thing was on broadcast television. God knows how many impressionable people are going around even now spouting this horseshit.

Could you sum up why this is unlikely?

E: I don't doubt 50,000 as unlikely; although, there have been permanent settlements from that timeframe identified. I do believe the wet sahara hypothesis, and if a sphynx was built earlier, it would have undergone weathering from water during this period, aye?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 28, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

The Egyptologist is the only rational one in the special. He's trying to explain that it's basically impossible for a civilization to come into existence and leave no trace. He says that there were no civilizations that early and that the history of human settlement in Egypt is too well-documented for there to be room for Atalantis, but the show just glosses over him. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jack Gladney posted:

The Egyptologist is the only rational one in the special. He's trying to explain that it's basically impossible for a civilization to come into existence and leave no trace. He says that there were no civilizations that early and that the history of human settlement in Egypt is too well-documented for there to be room for Atalantis, but the show just glosses over him. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Er, I'm unsure if I've made my point clear: the existance of extensive civilization in pre-contact Americas can, at best, be described as a contentious issue.

Why would it be safe to assume no civilization existed during the time of the wet sahara, which then underwent collapse due to climate change or other environmental factors? The earliest known permanent settlement in the region can be dated to something like 40,000 BCE, and with settlement comes institutions and tradition.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

E: I don't doubt 50,000 as unlikely; although, there have been permanent settlements from that timeframe identified. I do believe the wet sahara hypothesis, and if a sphynx was built earlier, it would have undergone weathering from water during this period, aye?

I don't know all the buzz on what caused the erosion on the sphinx, but there's a pretty clear consensus against water erosion. The water erosion people don't seem crazy or unprofessional, but it seems like maybe the evidence is ambiguous. There's a much better sphinx documentary on netflix here that goes into it in more detail: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70299214?trkid=13752289

But like I said, the crazy part is claiming that human civilization is 50,000 years old, Atlantis is real, and Martians talked to them. And they squeeze it all together into about 15 minutes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tias posted:

Except that Farben personnel supervised human experimentation in several concentration camps, experimentation started on their own advice, so quite a lot of the VIPs must have known but decided to ignore it.

I thought that's what i said, they knew about it, but they did their best to ignore/forget it. There was a lot of that by the guys creating and building the Nazi war machine. Though someone like Porsche or the Heinkle brothers couldn't really deny what they were building, but at least their tanks and planes they knew would be used in traditional warfare.

These crackpot shows always do that, have some actual scientist on, and then make him look like the crazy one; ignoring all the evidence and beholden to the OFFICIAL STORY.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't know all the buzz on what caused the erosion on the sphinx, but there's a pretty clear consensus against water erosion. The water erosion people don't seem crazy or unprofessional, but it seems like maybe the evidence is ambiguous. There's a much better sphinx documentary on netflix here that goes into it in more detail: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70299214?trkid=13752289

But like I said, the crazy part is claiming that human civilization is 50,000 years old, Atlantis is real, and Martians talked to them. And they squeeze it all together into about 15 minutes.

All I see as essential for human civilization is fire and language. The rest is a product of population density. I completely agree with you on the wackjob portions re: Mars Talks and Atlantic, I disagree that civilizations have not existed which we are, presently, completely unaware of, and may forever never know.

Now, for conspiracy theory chat: Harold Washington was assassinated for building a black machine. Kennedy was in contact with Daley through a bisphoric contact to have a few boxes thrown into the river.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
He's not talking about simple community groups though, he's talking about a civilization complex enough to build epic monumental architecture. And the insane part is that the Sphinx would survive but literally zero other evidence. If you're a civilization complex enough to build the Sphinx, you're complex enough to have division of labor and dedicated artisans, and the work force would require large scale agriculture to keep the builders fed. Those are all things that would leave extremely large amounts of evidence in addition to the Sphinx.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

He's not talking about simple community groups though, he's talking about a civilization complex enough to build epic monumental architecture. And the insane part is that the Sphinx would survive but literally zero other evidence. If you're a civilization complex enough to build the Sphinx, you're complex enough to have division of labor and dedicated artisans, and the work force would require large scale agriculture to keep the builders fed. Those are all things that would leave extremely large amounts of evidence in addition to the Sphinx.

So, there's an extremely large amount of evidence in addition to Great Zimbabwe? poo poo happens, civilizations collapse.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
IIRC, the water erosion is only on the higher side of the sphinx. The thing is on a slope. Even if it doesn't rain much, water piles up on that side. So there's no reason to think it's extremely ancient.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

So, there's an extremely large amount of evidence in addition to Great Zimbabwe? poo poo happens, civilizations collapse.

Yeah, I think so? They had money and art at least, plus there was a related culture still there when the Portuguese showed up. This is not my field at all, but the oldest stone structures are like 12,000 years tops, and there's only a very few that old. Most of them are 5,000 to 2,000. Agriculture's only like 9,000 years old. And the people leave their broken plates and cups everywhere.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm curious to know how Great Zimbabwe in any way supports the idea of civilizations existing 50,000 years ago and leaving no trace considering that Great Zimbabwe:

- Isn't anywhere close to 50,000 years old
- Is dated to the Iron Age, newer than Stonehenge is believed to be
- Is a very obvious remnant showing a civilization existed

Also, we do have signs of human civilization from possibly tens of thousands of years ago:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteora#History
http://visitmeteora.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/theopetra-cave-inhabited-by-humans-130-000-years-ago/

Humans, and their precursors, did not exist in a capacity to built a structure like the Sphinx 50,000 years ago. Anyone who believes otherwise is doing so because it's what they want to be true. Any discovery of a civilization of that level existing that long ago would be bigger news than finding an untouched Pyramid.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 28, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Seventh Arrow posted:

I've been reading through Popular Mechanics' debunking of 9/11 conspiracy theories and what do you know, they left the comments open. And of course, loony truthers descended on it like ants at a picnic. An interesting read, no doubt.

*twitches* Must....not....respond....to....comments....

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Anyway, one thing I remember hearing about Project Paperclip was that the reports on German scientists all went through a thorough white washing to remove any stain of Nazism. Instead shockingly enough every scientist just happened to be apolitical, especially Von Braun. Just ignore that whole "SS Major" thing.
There's a rocket-nerd joke that goes "Why did the Saturn V have fins? So that Von Braun would have somewhere to put the swastikas!" (It's based on the fact that the fins on the Saturn V first stage are only barely big enough to be useful at all, and some wag came up with the idea that they're only for show.)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Animal-Mother posted:

Do these people think anything real ever happens? Do they think their life is the Truman Show?

They think they're the only ones watching it and everyone else is a character and has no clue how deep it all goes.

Jones has effectively changed conspiracy culture from a small group of mostly mentally unstable people, to thousands of insecure idiots that use it to convince themselves they're smarter than everyone else. Literally every major news event is a smokescreen for what really happened. I'm kind of amazed that Jones has been able to keep it going, but his followers seem to be quite persistent.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Oh come now, conspiracies have been a thing since the dawn of man. What makes the crowd bigger and stronger is we have the internet where any crank can post an argument that sounds like something people like whereas before they could only really soapbox among small groups in isolated areas. Hell, Elvis conspiracies are huge and were so long before the internet was a thing. Same with the Apollo landings and JFK.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You can't deny that Jones and others like him have made Conspiracy Theories mainstream. Before they were limited to crackpots and people who did lots of direct mail order books. The internet gave them a platform to get their messages out, but it was still on the fringes.

Now, thanks to Jones and Beck and others, CT's are mainstream and in every walk of life, and the GOP's entire platform is based on conspiracies. They always said "Democrats are going to raise your taxes and make you less safe!" but now they straight up say "Obama is a secret Muslim and wants to turn America into a second Caliphate and is going to take your guns!".

The idea of Sandy Hook being a false flag, along with everything else, is reported on mainstream news as if its a plausible alternative to what happened.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

The idea of Sandy Hook being a false flag, along with everything else, is reported on mainstream news as if its a plausible alternative to what happened.

I agree with conspiratorial thinking becoming an ever larger part of the typical conservative platform, but when did this happen?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

You can't deny that Jones and others like him have made Conspiracy Theories mainstream. Before they were limited to crackpots and people who did lots of direct mail order books. The internet gave them a platform to get their messages out, but it was still on the fringes.

Now, thanks to Jones and Beck and others, CT's are mainstream and in every walk of life, and the GOP's entire platform is based on conspiracies. They always said "Democrats are going to raise your taxes and make you less safe!" but now they straight up say "Obama is a secret Muslim and wants to turn America into a second Caliphate and is going to take your guns!".

That has kind of a long history in America too. The major parties have long accommodated Birchers and anti-Catholics and people who think the world is about to end. I do the the Internet has lowered the bar of entry into crazy belief systems, though. Teenage contrarianism has probably taken on some strange flavors in the last 10 years.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

StandardVC10 posted:

I agree with conspiratorial thinking becoming an ever larger part of the typical conservative platform, but when did this happen?

About 3 seconds after the shooting hit the news.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How about another conspiracy:

Ron Paul is a Russian sleeper agent in deep cover. Ron Paul is, more or less, a communist.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Everyone's a communist unless they toe the line. Also they're facists and Satan, and Muslim, and Foreign born, and *insert any other slam they have here*

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

twistedmentat posted:

They made specific conspiracy theories mainstream but the idea of conspiracy theories is present in most human circles (or other fictitious renderings on the truth).

They standardized the specific conspiracy theory spouted but they didn't make a new thing appealing to people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jack Gladney posted:

That has kind of a long history in America too. The major parties have long accommodated Birchers and anti-Catholics and people who think the world is about to end. I do the the Internet has lowered the bar of entry into crazy belief systems, though. Teenage contrarianism has probably taken on some strange flavors in the last 10 years.

Those tended to be at the local level though, nationally you'd never have a serious contender for President claiming the his opponent was going to hand the country over to the Pope.

Well, not since Al Smith. (Yes i know Kennedy had that, but Nixon was not running around going 'a vote for Kennedy is a vote for Catholic opresssion!'")

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I think that thinking conspiracies are more widespread now is part of the same general bias that makes people think the world is turning to poo poo. JFK assassination and Moon Landing have already been mentioned, but what about Goldwater? Sure, he lost. But the Birchers were able to learn from that and make Reagan the God-Emperor of America. Then we can go back to things like the Know-Nothings or the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It helps that secret societies were a big part of the nationalist push, so in a lot of places there were a lot of conspiracies. The Masons were a libertine group, an excuse for the wealthy to party but they also represented a booj push against the nobility and clergy to create an alternative association for power. Then you've got groups like the Black Hand or arguably Al Qaeda where a small group of people got together and loving delivered on their world-changing approach. Then you've got broader, more societally accepted conspiracy theories like the Dolchstosslegenden in Post-WWI Germany, Post-Vietnam America and Post-American Civil War South (plus many other places, I'm sure!).

They've been around for forever and, thankfully, they've also been mocked for forever. For every person talking about their secret passage to the Kingdom of Prester John, there were five people ragging on what scam artists people talking about Prester John were. It was notable when someone fell for that trick because it was buffoonery. The problem, right now, isn't that there are more conspiracy theories, it is that people in power are electing to look for the Kingdom of Prester John.

In short: Dear Sir or Madam, I am an exiled prince and need help accessing my fortune. I have reached out to you because I know you are a good and just Christian.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^In a way you could kind of list Mormonism in there

twistedmentat posted:

Those tended to be at the local level though, nationally you'd never have a serious contender for President claiming the his opponent was going to hand the country over to the Pope.

Well, not since Al Smith. (Yes i know Kennedy had that, but Nixon was not running around going 'a vote for Kennedy is a vote for Catholic opresssion!'")

No, instead you'd have one claiming his opponent was "a blind, bald, crippled, toothless man who is a hideous hermaphroditic character with neither the force and fitness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman." while the other retorted with "a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father.". John Adams vs Thomas Jefferson

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

I think that thinking conspiracies are more widespread now is part of the same general bias that makes people think the world is turning to poo poo. JFK assassination and Moon Landing have already been mentioned, but what about Goldwater? Sure, he lost. But the Birchers were able to learn from that and make Reagan the God-Emperor of America. Then we can go back to things like the Know-Nothings or the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It helps that secret societies were a big part of the nationalist push, so in a lot of places there were a lot of conspiracies. The Masons were a libertine group, an excuse for the wealthy to party but they also represented a booj push against the nobility and clergy to create an alternative association for power. Then you've got groups like the Black Hand or arguably Al Qaeda where a small group of people got together and loving delivered on their world-changing approach. Then you've got broader, more societally accepted conspiracy theories like the Dolchstosslegenden in Post-WWI Germany, Post-Vietnam America and Post-American Civil War South (plus many other places, I'm sure!).

I don't think you can minimize or leave out the effect that Watergate had on national cynicism. I mean, I'm sure people thought politicians were crooked before Nixon, but I think the idea that the President could do something serious enough to get impeached was quite a shock to a lot of people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Seventh Arrow posted:

I don't think you can minimize or leave out the effect that Watergate had on national cynicism. I mean, I'm sure people thought politicians were crooked before Nixon, but I think the idea that the President could do something serious enough to get impeached was quite a shock to a lot of people.

That just shows they forgot about Teapot Dome.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

When Nixon walked because he was immediately pardoned it pretty much threw out the notion of a president ever being punished, and Obama made sure to remind everyone with his "look forward, not back" poo poo to ignore Bush and not send most of the administration to a windowless cell for the rest of their lives.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

When Nixon walked because he was immediately pardoned it pretty much threw out the notion of a president ever being punished, and Obama made sure to remind everyone with his "look forward, not back" poo poo to ignore Bush and not send most of the administration to a windowless cell for the rest of their lives.

What did Bush do that you wouldn't if you were President?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wasn't Ford's rational that the country needed to focus on now instead of spending years prosecuting a President? Too bad the GOP didn't remember that when they spent years trying to prosecute Clinton.

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm not falling for your trap :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

-Start the war in Iraq
-Torture people
-Even if that wasn't him, trying to find a legal rationale for torturing people

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Having just been exposed to the wonderful world of Bin Laden's Death conspiracy theories, I gotta ask: Isn't it rather uncontroversial that he died in the raid? I thought there were some photos taken which were used to positively identify him, or DNA samples or something.

(My favorite theories are that they picked the exact time to dig out his already-dead corpse to coincide with the premiere for a Donald Trump show, to punish Trumpy for being a birther - or Alex Jonas insisting that they had Laden FROZEN IN NITROGEN for 10 years, to roll him out as needed :psyduck: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

StandardVC10 posted:

-Start the war in Iraq
-Torture people
-Even if that wasn't him, trying to find a legal rationale for torturing people

-Choke on a pretzel
-Fall off a Segway