Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

ICHIBAHN posted:

It's a complete loving joke. I'm within my rights to go abso mento and lose fifty plots, so I will.

Calm down weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
He is right about iTunes thoufh. It's a complete joke and nightmare to do anything with.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm completely calm, don't throw hurtful names around. You're better than that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

If my AT&T bill is currently $63 a month with 2gb of data, will Next make my bill higher or is it a better deal? I don't mind $200 for the new model upfront, more concerned over long term cost of Next. I'm looking at the base 16gb models of the 6 and 6 Plus.

Post your plan details here and I will answer them.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538927

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
edit: taking this to that AT&T thread instead.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Laserface posted:

Has 8.0.2 fixed the Wifi issues yet? theres nothing in the notes that says it does.

I skipped 8.0.1 for obvious reasons.
Are only certain people having issues with this? I didn't have any problems with WiFi on 8.0 or 8.0.2 across multiple different WiFi networks :confused:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
re: iTunes -- I use iTunes Match so I haven't done this in ages, but how long exactly is it sitting on 'preparing to update'? Because I seem to remember it taking forever when I was adding a lot of music.

e:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are only certain people having issues with this? I didn't have any problems with WiFi on 8.0 or 8.0.2 across multiple different WiFi networks :confused:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/22/ios-8-issues-battery-drain-wifi/

It's not affecting everyone and Apple hasn't acknowledged it but yeah it's a thing.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Hey, guys! My wife has an iPhone 6 and whenever she takes a picture or video in landscape mode it comes out in portrait mode turned sideways. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? She is on the latest update and is using the generic camera app. Thanks!

Dumb question, but is orientation lock on.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bottom Liner posted:

If my AT&T bill is currently $63 a month with 2gb of data, will Next make my bill higher or is it a better deal? I don't mind $200 for the new model upfront, more concerned over long term cost of Next. I'm looking at the base 16gb models of the 6 and 6 Plus.

You'll be paying like $30 - $45 extra a month for the phone alone. It's higher if you want to

EpicNemesis posted:

Dumb question, but is orientation lock on.

Shouldn't matter, I have portrait lock on all the time and take landscape pics of my body.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

He is right about iTunes thoufh. It's a complete joke and nightmare to do anything with.

I haven't had any issues with itunes wirelessly or wired. Years ago it had issues on windows but nothing in recent memory has effected me. The drag and drop to import folder that adds to your library works really. My phone and computer stay in sync. I have arround 30 gigs of music and it all moved over just fine.

My only complaint is anything you play gets added to the library so I dont use it as a default media player for playing random downloaded audio files.

wooger posted:

Ha, iCloud email, I'm sure that'll be reliable and secure :)

The reason Google wanted to stop supporting exchange on free accounts is that they have to pay Microsoft licensing fees to use it - presumably per device.

I have had zero issues with my new email being reliable. If google doesnt want to suport my needs then so be it.

You guys struggle with some pretty simple software

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I would prefer not to use iTunes but at least on paper it seemed like the most efficient way of getting 40GB of music onto my phone. I was wrong.

I aborted the sync in the very beginning because I forgot to turn on the setting that has it transcode down to 128Kbps AAC. Stopping the sync got the phone into a weird state where no apps would install from the store. The install button would turn into a spinning circle, but it'd never start downloading or turn into the progress indicator with the stop button like you'd expect. If you tried syncing through iTunes, would stay perpetually on "waiting for changes to be applied." As in, I let it sit that way overnight with no change.

I tried signing in and out of the app store, rebooting both the computer and the phone multiple times, etc. No dice. An "erase settings" didn't help. I caved and wiped it, and that solved it.

Luckily it happened on day 2 of owning the phone and I didn't really lose anything to speak of.

Once I did get it going, it did seem to sit for a while on "preparing to update" before it pushed a few thousand songs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Bottom Liner posted:

lol

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

What exactly is the wifi issue? Is it where your phone can't find a single loving wireless network? Between this and at&t's lovely throttled service which doesn't load pictures half the time, there may be some problems.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So when I got my iPhone 6 on launch day I did a clean install instead of from a back up because I figured it had been awhile. I already have 2.5 gigs of 'other' what the loving gently caress. I'm getting really sick of losing 3 gigs of space on my barely 12 gig iphone. Whats the deal? Phoneclean doesn't work any more and they want like 20 bucks for that poo poo so thats not happening either.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

Let me guess, you're a Windows user...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

I tested the digital image stabilization on my 6 yesterday just walking on a train platform and it was creepy how much it smoothed out. I'm sure OIS is even that much better at it. It was actually kind of jarring to watch because it almost took the life out of it if that makes sense? Like if you watch a video someone took while hiking you sort of "feel" the footsteps that are represented by the shaking, etc. This just makes it seem like you're floating around like a spooky ghost or something. I find it odd that there doesn't seem to be a setting to turn it off anywhere because I'm sure some people might want to retain that effect.
With the amount of manual controls they exposed in iOS 8 I wouldn't be surprised if that was an option to devs... which I'm sure will lead to a ShakyCam app for 99 cents.

(as far as 6 and 6+ video stabilization, I think one review mentioned the 6 did a little better there actually)

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Both! She takes it correctly but as soon as the picture is produced its orientation is off.
Tried just restarting the phone, or at least the camera app? My brother in law had what sounds like the same issue where the orientation just got stuck it something. I suggested a restart at the time so I figure he did that at some point, haven't heard him mention the issue since.

various cheeses posted:

What exactly is the wifi issue? Is it where your phone can't find a single loving wireless network? Between this and at&t's lovely throttled service which doesn't load pictures half the time, there may be some problems.
I've noticed something on my iPad at least (I don't use the phone as much while on WiFi), anything out to the web just dies periodically. Like I can remote into a computer on my LAN fine and see pages loading fine there but the iPad itself can't get out of the LAN. It comes back after waiting a bit or toggling WiFi off and on.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I've been on a Mac for years and never use iTunes for anything.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

lol

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yes, does that somehow invalidate the issue? Last time I tried to add music to my phone it put a bunch of greyed out tracks for every album that took up space on the phone but didn't actually become playable, and the only solution was to drag them from my iTunes library to the phone about 75 times and let it sync over and over until they finally transferred. Took about 30 minutes to do something that should have Just Worked.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

various cheeses posted:

It connects to wifi fine but doesnt load any data and my 6 gets warm and the battery level drops like mad.

beyond that the phone is fine in every aspect (although I too have had a few photos not rotate correctly when viewed on the phone)

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Let me guess, you're a Windows user...

It works fine on windows. My wifi and I both did full restors of our images made on our 4s and they "just worked".

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

Nice.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

spunkshui posted:

It works fine on windows. My wifi and I both did full restors of our images made on our 4s and they "just worked".

Don't you understand if it doesn't work correctly 100% of the time for a few edge cases it is a poo poo platform... or something.

I've been using iTunes since it came out on Windows and have had practically 0 problems with it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

japtor posted:

Tried just restarting the phone, or at least the camera app? My brother in law had what sounds like the same issue where the orientation just got stuck it something. I suggested a restart at the time so I figure he did that at some point, haven't heard him mention the issue since.

I have thought of myself as being a nerd for a long time now, but I am ashamed to say that I never thought of just turning the phone on and off. Evidently she hadnt powered it off since she bought it and now that she has the camera works like a charm. Thanks!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, does that somehow invalidate the issue? Last time I tried to add music to my phone it put a bunch of greyed out tracks for every album that took up space on the phone but didn't actually become playable, and the only solution was to drag them from my iTunes library to the phone about 75 times and let it sync over and over until they finally transferred. Took about 30 minutes to do something that should have Just Worked.

No, it was meant to imply that I more or less agree with you. I avoid iTunes at all costs.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Don't you understand if it doesn't work correctly 100% of the time for a few edge cases it is a poo poo platform... or something.

I've been using iTunes since it came out on Windows and have had practically 0 problems with it.

Well you use Windows, so your objective problems start there, bucko.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel sorry that so many people have had a poo poo experience with iTunes. It hasn't given me trouble for a very long time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
RDio for the win. I sign in, click download over wifi, music re downloads over night (although this im time it was finicky and took two separate nights). It isn't perfect, but it's the least amount of effort I've found so far.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I really like iTunes Match. $25/yr and my music library syncs between all my devices no problem.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Neither do I, what's wrong with that? Actually, I download free songs from the Starbucks app, so I need itunes to redeem them

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I haven't had any major problems with iTunes since switching to it, but it's still a kind of poo poo program. I thought that was universally accepted? That it sucks on Windows? It's a bloated, resource hogging mess. The one thing I really miss about my Zune is that the Zune software was amazing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, I thought it was widely known that iTunes was globally a piece of poo poo. Outside of restoring, iTunes remains hidden in the crevasses of my Applications folder. Spotify for music, phone itself for apps, etc for etc.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
iTunes works really well and yall need to chill out.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, I thought it was widely known that iTunes was globally a piece of poo poo. Outside of restoring, iTunes remains hidden in the crevasses of my Applications folder. Spotify for music, phone itself for apps, etc for etc.

It seems like you spend a lot of time in every Apple thread saying a different thing sucks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

iTunes works really well and yall need to chill out.

On my MacBook, when I had it, iTunes worked perfectly. On Windows, not so much.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

What exactly is the problem with using iTunes on a Mac? I'm listening to music right now and it works just fine. Keeps my music organized really well and I can control music playing from my MacBook with my iPhone.

Spotify either costs money to listen to music that you don't own(?) or it plasters ads all over the screen in random positions every other 3.5 minutes and albums per artists are in weird order and lots of other really bad design flaws.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

eddiewalker posted:

It seems like you spend a lot of time in every Apple thread saying a different thing sucks.

iOS 8 sucks and then today I said iTunes sucks, but outside of that...? I mean, these are commonly held opinions.

ShoogaSlim posted:

What exactly is the problem with using iTunes on a Mac? I'm listening to music right now and it works just fine. Keeps my music organized really well and I can control music playing from my MacBook with my iPhone.

Spotify either costs money to listen to music that you don't own(?) or it plasters ads all over the screen in random positions every other 3.5 minutes and albums per artists are in weird order and lots of other really bad design flaws.

That's the thing. If I get to organize and listen to an entire league of music for $5 a month, sign me up. That's all I need and it works well. Not sure about the design flaws, but the UX lends itself well.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
iTunes seems to be the only desktop music app with Airplay. For whatever reason doing system AirPlay stutters for me so iTunes is still my main music app.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don't mind iTunes because it's better than managing folders and Winamp playlists or whatever the cool kids are doing these days, but it's by far the least consistent, most annoying, buggiest piece of software I use on Windows. It feels like trying to teach a ten year old how to use text boxes in Word half the time.

On OS X (like everything else about using a Mac) it kicks rear end. I guess that's to be expected.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

So I just switched over from Android after 4 years or so. I don't get the Notification Center. What is it for? I have gotten texts, emails, and Facebook posts/comments all day but it keeps saying "No Notifications." It looks like things are right in the settings for it, do I need to turn something else on?

Also I have been sending myself emails to test it out, but since I turned off the red notification badges for gmail (since I had hundreds of unread emails) I have no way to know I got an email other than a non descript "bling."

e: I just got a "bling" and I have no idea what it was for. I have no notifications and no banners. :(

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

itunes running bad is commonly held like the idea PS3 has no games.

It was true, but hasent been so for quite some time.