Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Just got this and played a couple of hours to get the hang of it last night. I'm curious, though.

QUESTION: It says in the creation screen that males and females could be treated differently by different people in the wastes? What's the extent of this? I had an awesome Idea for an all-female or mostly-all-female team of rangers, but I don't want to potentially kneecap myself and accidentally remove some options :gonk:

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
thats nonsense because you can flip between chars mid-conversation as much as you want

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Verviticus posted:

thats nonsense because you can flip between chars mid-conversation as much as you want

Okay cool- I figured it was just nonsense. Thanks! I just wanted to make sure making an all female squad wouldn't cut off any options or dialogue for me. :3: The game is super awesome so far- I just had to get back into the mindset for the controls after all these years of not playing Baldur's Gate, etc.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 29, 2014

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

EricFate posted:

1) Finish the quest to uninfect yourself.
2) The gun is an energy weapon. Save it for things that are vulnerable to energy weapons (not plants).

2. Seems like the description was attached to the wrong weapon.

I just hope this isn't a situation like the original Fallout games were it takes a decade worth of fan patches to get the game working

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
alright i need someone to just spoil how to get through hollywood. i did the funeral, and then the gauntlet, but didnt do anything in bastion. also did the chili quest

heidi wants me to talk to veronica. veronica wont tell me anything. nothing else really triggers. is veronica's quest seriously just a one-time 8 kiss rear end skill check and if you miss it you lose?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Roobanguy posted:

He's actually inside the cathedraly area. Also I don't know if the one outside the gates supposed to dissapear because he never did for me!

(still griffith's park)
Did the one in the cathedral talk at all? Because mine is stone silent, and I can't find Victoria anywhere now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

I just hope this isn't a situation like the original Fallout games were it takes a decade worth of fan patches to get the game working

The weapon is the result of a scientist-of-questionable-sanity deciding that the best way to remove (ordinary, non-homicidal) weeds from a garden is with plasma. Result: Homemade plasma gun called 'Herbicide'.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The game works fine for me! :waycool:

Well, as far as I've played anyway. Other folks are bumping into issues. Thing is, it *just* got released to the world and there's now a patch out to clean up a fair number of outright bugs and balance a few things here and there. I suspect the programming team still has some maintenance programmers on staff that will be working long hours to clean things up. It may take a full month of patches but the game is fully playable now and I don't think you need to wait around.

As for Herbicide, look at it - it's an energy weapon. Anything with 2 Armor or above it's going to knock down pretty hard. After you finish the Ag Center you're going to bump into a bunch of dudes who are going to hate your pew pew space laser.

The horrible green foliage you can't blow up? Stop wasting ammo on it like I did. It all melts away after you completely finish the Ag Center. Just remember what parts are blocked so you can go back. If you don't want to bother, just head there later on, the safes and crates will still be around.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you can just hit it with a melee weapon too

CuddleChunks posted:

Well, as far as I've played anyway. Other folks are bumping into issues. Thing is, it *just* got released to the world and there's now a patch out to clean up a fair number of outright bugs and balance a few things here and there. I suspect the programming team still has some maintenance programmers on staff that will be working long hours to clean things up. It may take a full month of patches but the game is fully playable now and I don't think you need to wait around.

hollywood, at the least, is just garbage from top to bottom

perception level 10 should not loving fail to find a trap on a goddamn chest sitting in a field. who the gently caress is trapping random boxes with ultra-high tech

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 29, 2014

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

disable shadows and SSAO, the engine is bad

Or just shut off motion blur, that was a massive increase for me.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Save really, really often in Hollywood. It's a massive mess with broken triggers, multiple copies of the same person roaming around, and a complete lack of responsiveness to what you do. Kill somebody in the first 5 minutes of getting into the area because you walked down into a sewer? Nobody cares! Or mentions it ever.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Save really, really often in Hollywood. It's a massive mess with broken triggers, multiple copies of the same person roaming around, and a complete lack of responsiveness to what you do. Kill somebody in the first 5 minutes of getting into the area because you walked down into a sewer? Nobody cares! Or mentions it ever.

i dunno how many conversations ive had with npcs that are essentially

tell me about x

"blah blah x"

i dealt with x

"blah blah x"

tell me about x

"blah blah x"

good bye

its a shame because all of the factions in california (who are all loving fantastic) and the sheer density of action creates a really good feeling of Being The Desert Rangers In A New And Weird Land and there's a lot of urgency that's really hard to create in a game like this and hollywood is just a cesspool

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

This kind of a game is a nightmare to bugfix. inXile released it early, but I'm not sure that there's a "non early" release date. Fallout/2 had bugs for well over a decade. I think California is still too buggy (Matthias approached me through a television screen and told me to kill my parentsRodia, and I just responded that it had already been destroyed - that was my only option. I killed the leather jerks in Rodia, sure, but overall rescued the town and none of its important people died, etc.)

I'm going to wait for one more patch before I re-visit California :(

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CuddleChunks posted:

It may take a full month of patches but the game is fully playable now and I don't think you need to wait around.

That's assuming you can keep it running. The patch has made it literally unplayable for some rare people, because something under the hood just shits itself a couple of minutes after launch.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

arizona is all about just being kicked in the balls from start to finish and california feels the exact opposite, like you're making headway in a warzone, and then you get to hollywood and you realize, gently caress hollywood *flies back to arizona*

also i really like the voice acting for matthias and mr manners - not that its particularly good acting but they just both have such weird cool voices

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 29, 2014

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

it hurts plant based enemies more, aka pod people

for the other stuff you're trying to get through, when you finish the quest, all the overgrown vegetation dries out and you can just break it with a melee weapon

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Can I quickly and easily edit my save to change character portraits, and if so, how?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

also i really like the voice acting for matthias and mr manners - not that its particularly good acting but they just both have such weird cool voices

Matthias basically sounds like Peter Fonda.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

precision posted:

Can I quickly and easily edit my save to change character portraits, and if so, how?

http://home.comcast.net/~cinful75/WL2/

Use that.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

(still griffith's park)
Did the one in the cathedral talk at all? Because mine is stone silent, and I can't find Victoria anywhere now.

Yeah, he should be. Also basically everyone should be there to sign the peace treaty.

You may have to reload an earlier save. Hollywood is real buggy.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Verviticus posted:

alright i need someone to just spoil how to get through hollywood. i did the funeral, and then the gauntlet, but didnt do anything in bastion. also did the chili quest

heidi wants me to talk to veronica. veronica wont tell me anything. nothing else really triggers. is veronica's quest seriously just a one-time 8 kiss rear end skill check and if you miss it you lose?

You need to find her proof of slavery. Blow away either the diner owner, or the slavers in the room with the manhole entrance in the east corner of hollywood. Proof will be in a locked container

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
How the loving hell do I beat the ambush at Whittier?!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kenshin posted:

I found rockets, grenades, and extensive use of cover to be helpful.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Take your armour off. The most dangerous enemies are armed with energy weapons, which don't hurt (much) if you're naked. Then prioritise anyone armed with a conventional weapon (your big three threats are the Synth, the Heavy Gunner to the right, and the Lobber to the left).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some of this game's art direction, oy. The Ag Center is a nightmare on my eyes, I turned texture quality down just to make it less horrifying to squint at. Whoever designed the environments apparently never read the memo from the guy who designed the engine that was titled "Most Players Will Be Constantly Zoomed Very Far Out".

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Verviticus posted:

hollywood, at the least, is just garbage from top to bottom

So the war and the decades following the war really haven't changed it much.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

The Insect Court posted:

You need to find her proof of slavery. Blow away either the diner owner, or the slavers in the room with the manhole entrance in the east corner of hollywood. Proof will be in a locked container

i did this but she never gave me the quest because i wasnt close enough to her. do i need to have kiss rear end at 8 to get it?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Kenshin posted:

whats your setup, gunwise?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
To get into the prison, I can't find a track for the robot (which, I assume, kills the turrets). I've tried the radio tower, like the one where ace was killed. Where else should I check?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

redreader posted:

To get into the prison, I can't find a track for the robot (which, I assume, kills the turrets). I've tried the radio tower, like the one where ace was killed. Where else should I check?

You need to go to Damonta to finish the prison storyline. If you haven't already learned where to get upgraded rad suits you need to talk to Red on the first prison map.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Is there way to gain cybernetic limbs? I met the NPC who can install them, but she won't give them to me.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

Is there way to gain cybernetic limbs? I met the NPC who can install them, but she won't give them to me.

i dont think there is

Mushball
May 23, 2012

redreader posted:

I don't have a chance to fix the robot yet but if they haven't changed it too much since the beta you need to know where to get some rad suits in the prison before Vargas will mention that some weird robots are hanging around the radio tower. I assume all you have to do is go there, kill the robots, pull a track from one of their corpses, and head back to the prison to fix your robot.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Mushball posted:

I don't have a chance to fix the robot yet but if they haven't changed it too much since the beta you need to know where to get some rad suits in the prison before Vargas will mention that some weird robots are hanging around the radio tower. I assume all you have to do is go there, kill the robots, pull a track from one of their corpses, and head back to the prison to fix your robot.

Nah, this is wrong now, you can't do it that early. You get the item you need after you finish the main portion of Damonta. It won't drop randomly.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Nothing to do with Gameplay, but I was making portraits just for the hell of it, if anyone'd like some custom ones. They didn't have enough variety for me so I messed around for a couple of hours fixing up some pictures. :shobon:

http://imgur.com/a/PAN9Y

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 29, 2014

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OK I'm in the canyon, near to checkpoint 3 and I've found a blocked wall that looks like it leads to a mine because there's an abandoned mine cart outside. How do I get in? None of my skills work (they all say invalid target} and neither does trying to blow it up.

edit: nvm! found the object that controls the wall.

Helith fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 29, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

heres a cool example of every single quest in hollywood

you come across two people who need help clearing out a store of roaches. you go in and there are no roaches, just a friendly npc who joins you instead. you go out and say "i did the thing" and they go inside

later you need them to do something for you and they go "ok ill do it, but first you have to clean out my store of roaches" while they are STANDING IN THE STORE. close convo, open convo, "i did it" "great! we'll help you"

this is the least bugged quest in the zone

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Mr. Lobe posted:

(still griffith's park)

Make sure every hostile is dead both inside and outside the Bastion, including the guy guarding the tower gate, and also make sure you talk to the penitents and free them. I had to talk to Luis Bermudez (I think was the name) twice, one time he ignored me and the second time he thanked me for freeing them and they walked out. Once I did that the quest updated to say nothing is standing in the way of peace anymore and I should head to the chapel.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Possible dumb question: where/when do I get the quest to go to the mines? I think Vargas mentions it in one sentence somewhere but no one has placed it on my map. Currently I'm on order to return to the Citadel, I've just finished Damonta and omw to clear Prison before returning. Is next stop the mine or have I missed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Where's the dish that I attach the repeater unit to in Highpool (after saving the town)?

• Locked thread