Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fucknag posted:

E: Serious question, how hard would it be to make a ground-attack craft using the F-35's airframe? That lift fan cavity could hold one hell of a magazine for an Avenger or similar type cannon.

That's exactly what the version that has the lift fan is supposed to be.

Makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

It makes me sick that we're using live sharks as organic guides for bombs and we just leave these sharks to dry out, and also that we leave their papery skeletons next to the bombs

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Whats the story with this?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Breaky posted:

Bomb got dropped, bomb didn't go boom, someone took a picture.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Breaky posted:

Very good guidance system, less than stellar fusing system, and a fair number of ruined pairs of underwear.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oh sorry, I meant more, where / when / who kind of thing.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Ukraine, recently, "separatists" totally not getting support from Russia

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Craptacular posted:

Ukraine, recently, "separatists" totally not getting support from Russia

That's just when they aren't just actual Russian soldiers out of uniform.

There's supposed to be a ceasefire but the Russians aren't following it, surprise surprise.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

I will put money down those planes aren't going anywhere near Syria. Also, going to be interesting to see where they end up basing them.

Yeah it's only news because of the "ZOMG DEPLOYING AIRCRAFT THEY WANT TO GET RID OF" angle...they're going to the place we've had A-10s at pretty much continuously for the past 13 years, and as far as I know are swapping out with a unit that's currently out there, with A-10s. That would be the same place with a public facebook page that currently has a big ol' picture of A-10s as its cover image...also it's nowhere near Syria.

I think the only reason this even got any news attention in the first place is because it's the first time in a while that we're sending a complete Guard unit out for an entire 6 month rotation. I assume that once a couple news stories got published about that angle other news agencies picked up and spun it with the "ZOMG DEPLOYING AIRCRAFT THEY WANT TO CAN" angle. Of course the whole sending a complete ANG unit for an entire 6 months thing speaks volumes about how thin we are stretched.

e: Scrolling through that facebook page makes me so glad I'm never going to have to deploy back to the complete clown show of an air force installation in an actual combat zone where people lob rockets at you occasionally.

THIS IS COMBAT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY

*Gathers a couple hundred people together in one big group, in order to support the 8th fun run that month*

*Puts a couple billion dollars worth of combat assets on the ramp in one spot where a single rocket could blow them all up, for 12 hours, just to support a bunch of photo ops*

THIS IS COMBAT PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO KILL US

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 29, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

Of course the whole sending a complete ANG unit for an entire 6 months thing speaks volumes about how thin we are stretched.

This right here is why the Air Force is adorable.

e: It reminds me of when a Marine took to Google because he didn't believe me when I said that we deployed for 12 months, typically, and went beyond that when things got weird after he whined nonstop about how he got extended from 7 months to 9 months.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

It would not surprise me if there is some Top Secret behavioral study that shows that even if the big A-10 gun kills very few enemies, ground troops behave like super soldiers after they hear it, regardless of race, creed, or religion.
Rip-Its and Copenhagen have the same effect, are cheaper, and have a predictable acquisition and development cycle through 2050.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Taste like poo poo. But they're free on USAF bases, so I drank the hell out of them when I could.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Of course the whole sending a complete ANG unit for an entire 6 months thing speaks volumes about how thin we are stretched.

:lol: Guard CRCs were deploying in pairs a few years ago.

mlmp08 posted:

This right here is why the Air Force is adorable.

Total Force is bullshit and no guard units should be deploying for a loving year unless it's WWIII.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Total Force is bullshit and no guard units should be deploying for a loving year unless it's WWIII.

Agreed, but getting upset because a guard unit spent 6 months deployed is funny.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

I will put money down those planes aren't going anywhere near Syria. Also, going to be interesting to see where they end up basing them.

Almost certainly Bahrain or the very north part of Saudi.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If they do, it's going to suck, since that is a long drive from The ISIS Zone. Not that being a logistical nightmare ever stopped CENTCOM's great ideas before.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Acknowledging that iyaayas already said they weren't going anywhere near ISIS, an A-10 is particularly susceptible to the MANPADS that we already know ISIS has in droves and has been smacking Syrian rotary and fixed wing attack craft with.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
A-10s can chill up high and drop LGB too.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

Acknowledging that iyaayas already said they weren't going anywhere near ISIS

Where did you see that?

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 29, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Where did you see that? Or did you just make that up?

Read his post like ten posts up and figure out what he's talking about

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

Read his post like ten posts up and figure out what he's talking about

I think you might be confusing Syria and ISIS.

edit to clarify:
It's entirely possible said A-10s won't fight ISIS, but that isn't clear right now at all in open-source media or in the posts above.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 29, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I think you might be confusing Syria and ISIS.

edit to clarify:
It's entirely possible said A-10s won't fight ISIS, but that isn't clear right now at all in open-source media or in the posts above.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/455th-Air-Expeditionary-Wing-Bagram-Airfield/133592286657075

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I'd say "but ISIS is everywhere" as a joke, but I guess I'll just say I misread iyaayas' post earlier instead.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Not exactly airpower, but adjacent perhaps- Apparently the Kurds are cobbling together some irregular armored vehicles to fight ISIS. The link has some video of a couple of them rolling around.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It looks like their painter to welder/machinist ratio is way off.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Fucknag posted:

E: Serious question, how hard would it be to make a ground-attack craft using the F-35's airframe? That lift fan cavity could hold one hell of a magazine for an Avenger or similar type cannon.

Shithead answer is 'how hard is it to make a dump truck out of a Honda Civic?' As I understand it, it would really depend on what what sort of resources you are willing to spend, what specific capabilities you want, and how good/bad a ground attack job you are willing to accept out of it.

I would personally not be very optimistic regardless of the answers to those questions.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Not that being a logistical nightmare ever stopped CENTCOM's great ideas before.

There's some dudes at CENTCOM and AFCENT who need to be punched in the face due to some attacks of the good idea fairy after our anti-ISIS campaign kicked off.

Yeah, there's still a standing Hawg rotation to BAF, the Guard unit in the linked story is (I'm assuming) going to replace the Reserve dudes out of Whiteman who are currently there.

Here's a decent WaPo story that discusses among other things at BAF, those guys. The whole series that guy has been doing is well worth reading/looking, actually.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Shithead answer is 'how hard is it to make a dump truck out of a Honda Civic?' As I understand it, it would really depend on what what sort of resources you are willing to spend, what specific capabilities you want, and how good/bad a ground attack job you are willing to accept out of it.

I would personally not be very optimistic regardless of the answers to those questions.

The gun is probably one of the most overrated parts of the A-10's capabilities. Strafing has historically been one of the statistically least useful means of ground attack.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

If you ever really want to piss off a marine just point out that the army saved their asses at the 'Canal and the Navy took more casualties.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smiling Jack posted:

If you ever really want to piss off a marine just point out that the army saved their asses at the 'Canal and the Navy took more casualties.

The Marines should have been phased out in 1948 but their PR people tugged at the heartstrings of guys who would later dance to McCarthy's tune.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

No joke the penal system down there is only a step above antebellum slave plantation status. Some plantations have had generations of the same families working as over...prison guards.

The state prison outside of Atmore, Alabama has a farm work program where they farm cotton fields. No joke.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

Leif. posted:

Anyone know any good reading material about the two shootdowns?
It's been a while since I've read it, but I'm pretty sure this book covers the Desert Storm stuff.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Panzeh posted:

The gun is probably one of the most overrated parts of the A-10's capabilities. Strafing has historically been one of the statistically least useful means of ground attack.

Setting aside the Avenger cannon, a Skyraider ends up looking very different from a Starfighter because their roles call for different design criteria.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
As much as the A-10 is a beautiful aircraft, it does seem much more reasonable to fill its role with drones.

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), but "close air support" doesn't necessarily necessitate "giant airplane buzzing in at low altitude with 30mm blazing" anymore. Especially with the proliferation of MANPADS. Something with precision, exceptional loiter time, and large weapons capacity seem to be the main requirements for the job.

Even if there was a Fulda Gap tomorrow, my impression is that the aggressor force would wreck any low flying aircraft with AA.

I guess my larger question is "is there enough in the interim to cover any deficiencies with the A-10 retirement?" For example, are there plans to field more CAS drone aircraft in a timely manner or should the A-10 retirement be DELAYED?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You'd think the psychological impact of the occasional 30mm strafing run on your poo poo would at least count for something.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Insane Totoro posted:

As much as the A-10 is a beautiful aircraft, it does seem much more reasonable to fill its role with drones.

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), but "close air support" doesn't necessarily necessitate "giant airplane buzzing in at low altitude with 30mm blazing" anymore. Especially with the proliferation of MANPADS. Something with precision, exceptional loiter time, and large weapons capacity seem to be the main requirements for the job.

Even if there was a Fulda Gap tomorrow, my impression is that the aggressor force would wreck any low flying aircraft with AA.

I guess my larger question is "is there enough in the interim to cover any deficiencies with the A-10 retirement?" For example, are there plans to field more CAS drone aircraft in a timely manner or should the A-10 retirement be DELAYED?

By the end of the decade CAS is going to be limited to releasing a munition from a point in the sky that allows said munition to guide itself to a mensurated target whose position was passed up to the munition digitally. Same process should be in place for delivering precision surface to surface munitions also. The idea of pilots being guided into target areas by voice and then visually acquiring targets is pretty obsolete.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Breaky posted:

You'd think the psychological impact of the occasional 30mm strafing run on your poo poo would at least count for something.

I was always under the impression that specific weapon systems have a limited psychological impact since the aggressor eventually finds ways to "cope" with it.

Seeing people around you killed consistently? Now that's a little different. Whether it's a SDB or Grover Laser (tm) or a 30mm autocannon, you're not going to care HOW you get killed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
One of the problems with drones, as they are now, is response time. A-10s are very slow to get to the battle compared with other fighters and bombers, but they're still faster than a predator or reaper. And they can fly in far worse weather than most drones.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Breaky posted:

It's probably less psychologically significant than seeing an A-10 get blown the gently caress out of the sky on its gun run, which is what will happen with any modern SHORAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

bewbies posted:

By the end of the decade CAS is going to be limited to releasing a munition from a point in the sky that allows said munition to guide itself to a mensurated target whose position was passed up to the munition digitally. Same process should be in place for delivering precision surface to surface munitions also. The idea of pilots being guided into target areas by voice and then visually acquiring targets is pretty obsolete.
This is a good ideal to shoot for (heh) as much as possible, but it seems to me to be a similar argument to "we don't need guns on fighters since we have BVR missiles". What about when that ideal situation isn't available for any number of possible reasons?

It seems to me that a gun like the Avenger or something on an AC-130 fills a niche that isn't really covered otherwise. I can't think of anything else (please enlighten me if you can) that has that particular combination of being able to hit both relatively precise (often armored or otherwise hardened) and area targets (generally soft) with reasonably low collateral damage. In the case of current conflicts, it also would seem to be much more cost effective to fire a few Avenger rounds at some poor Taliban than using a Hellfire (or anything larger) that was designed to kill armor or fixed installations. On top of all that, I would imagine some scenarios where an A-10 pilot with the target in sight would be able to get some cannon rounds off much more quickly than either they or any other type of aircraft would be able to launch a PGM.