Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's also why I use the Marvel and DC specific apps. Saves the main Comixology one for just non-Big Two books, so things are less cluttered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Gaz-L posted:

That's also why I use the Marvel and DC specific apps. Saves the main Comixology one for just non-Big Two books, so things are less cluttered.

Thank you so much for posting this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Massive Valiant sale at Humble Bundle. I know they have sales all the time, but not this steep.

EDIT: with a link now that I'm not on my phone.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 17, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uthor posted:

Massive Valiant sale at Humble Bundle. I know they have sales all the time, but not this steep.

That's sick, what format do those come in?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Last time I got something, it was PDF, CBZ and ePub. And it looks like there's an option to send them straight to Google Books.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 17, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Uthor posted:

Last time I got something, it was PDF, CBZ and ePub. And it looks like there's an option to send them straight to Google Books.

Vaguely. It's just a dropdown box of instruction on how to upload your files to Google Books.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, I didn't actually click it. Thought it was like Image linking to your Dropbox.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Double post!

More DRM-free comics on comiXology.
http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/97740731593/new-drm-free-publishers-at-comixology

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PoshAlligator posted:

Vaguely. It's just a dropdown box of instruction on how to upload your files to Google Books.

And I believe there's a size limit, so anything that's not a single issue is unlikely to fit. There's a great reader for Android that I use, it'll read pretty much anything, up to and including folders full of plain old image files. It's very basic, but it's also lightweight, and as long as you don't mind uploading stuff to your device already organised, it's easy to use.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I hadn't thought about it until now: is there an Android reader that can connect to Dropbox/OneDrive/GDrive and "stream" the comics to your device? I've seen apps out there that do that for mp3's (and maybe video?) so you can turn your files into a personal cloud music server without having to actually host your own server.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

And I believe there's a size limit, so anything that's not a single issue is unlikely to fit. There's a great reader for Android that I use, it'll read pretty much anything, up to and including folders full of plain old image files. It's very basic, but it's also lightweight, and as long as you don't mind uploading stuff to your device already organised, it's easy to use.

I really need Cloud stuff.

The file limit is 100Mb. Most (but not all) PDFs Humble gives are less than that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I know literally nothing about Valiant comics. What kind of stories are those and are they considered good for relatively mainstream readers?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Syrinxx posted:

I know literally nothing about Valiant comics. What kind of stories are those and are they considered good for relatively mainstream readers?

I know barely more, and it's a bunch of reboots of older, really 90's comics that are actually supposed to be alright. A good portion seem to be self serious but Archer and Armstrong as well as Quantum and Woody are supposed to be more lighthearted and comedic. There's apparently a new series teaming up both of these team-ups called the Delinquents that's about them and a map printed on a hobo's skinned rear end.

If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go all in on this bundle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

X-O Manowar is a guy from a few thousand years in the past getting picked up by aliens, getting their soldier exoskeleton, and eventually ending up in modern times on Earth.

Harbinger follows (to use an X-Men term) Omega level telepath fighting against a corporation full of powered people with his own band of misfit "mutants".

Eternal Warrior is an immortal guy tasked with protecting Earth. He shows up in X-O, has a bit of stuff happen in the present, then jumps to a post apocalyptic future trying to save a small band of humans.

Rai is a future cop in a Tokyo that has been built up as a tower that reaches up above the clouds (with pretty obvious class distinctions arising from that). He's trying to solve the fist murder in centuries.

Haven't read Quantum & Woody or Archer & Armstrong.

With the other titles (except Rai), there's a bit of crossover and shared universe building leading up to Harbinger Wars. They all have that vibe of being set in the "real" world and go for a grim and serious tone a lot of the time.

I know a lot of people really like the books. My friend does and is lending me his copies. From what I've read, I find a lot of the main characters unsympathetic and it's very hard for me to care about them or root for them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archer & Armstrong is really good and the only Valiant book I've kept up with. People seem pretty high on Quantum & Woody, too.

I wish I could describe A&A except to say it's about a guy who was raised as a fundamentalist Christian and has the power to copy any ability ever used, whether he's seen it or not and an immortal Roman drunkard who are caught up in a worldwide conspiracy.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Does anyone else see the valiant comics cbz files displaying in an odd order? The ads and contents are scattered in the middle. The last few pages are near the beginning. It worked out for 'Quantum and Wood' (which is excellent btw) but I am worried that the rest are like that.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
E: never mind; wrong thread

nelson fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 18, 2014

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I figured out the issue with the valiant comics bundle. The cbz files have pages numbered like 'page1, page2, page3' instead of 'page001, page002, page003'. This confuses all of the comic readers I have tried and is not how they are supposed to be named.

Is there a method of fixing this myself other than opening and renaming everything?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's awful. I have a bulk renaming tool for Windows that you make fixing it slightly easier (I'll have to wait until I get home to get its name).

Maybe try emailing Humble Bundle/Valiant and getting them to fix it on their end? Then just redownload the messed up files?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Uthor posted:

That's awful. I have a bulk renaming tool for Windows that you make fixing it slightly easier (I'll have to wait until I get home to get its name).

Maybe try emailing Humble Bundle/Valiant and getting them to fix it on their end? Then just redownload the messed up files?

I contacted them on Twitter and they said a fix is incoming. Since this is apparently their DRM-free debut, I'll give them the benefit of doubt. So far their comics are awesome, which is saying something considering I've been reading the pages out of order. Great bundle.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Heads up on a non-banner sale of Deadpool Classic Vol 1, 10 issues for $3.99: https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Collections-Sale-Up-to-60-off/list/3696
(also Daredevil Vol 1, 6 issues for the $4, obviously great but not exactly a complete story)

I assume this might be worth it for some folks!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Ugh why do they have such great sales on Marvel which I can just read in Marvel Unlimited but I am tempted to buy anyway

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

onefish posted:

Heads up on a non-banner sale of Deadpool Classic Vol 1, 10 issues for $3.99: https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Collections-Sale-Up-to-60-off/list/3696
(also Daredevil Vol 1, 6 issues for the $4, obviously great but not exactly a complete story)

I assume this might be worth it for some folks!

That is the start of Waids run and its loving awesome. If I remember correctly it sets up a bunch of Waids run.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

This is great!

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Ugh why do they have such great sales on Marvel which I can just read in Marvel Unlimited but I am tempted to buy anyway

Honestly if I consider my time to be worth more than about $2/hr it's probably worth it just to avoid wasting my life on the marvel unlimited interface.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fraction/Allred FF on sale (also F4)
https://www.comixology.com/Fantastic-Four-by-Matt-Fraction-Sale/page/3536/?tid=B140919001_Marvel_Fantastic_Four_Sale

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Out of curiosity, is "I'm not Daredevil" in those first six issues? I bought it anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Solaris Knight posted:

Out of curiosity, is "I'm not Daredevil" in those first six issues? I bought it anyway.

Its issue 7

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I got some free comics codes I don't really want.

The first is Halo: Escalation 1-3 that I got from LootCrate. It's a code for Dark Horse's digital service.

The second I got with the Captain America: Winter Soldier DVD. It's a code that gives Captain America #8 (part 1 of Winter Soldier, I believe) and Avengers #1 by Hickman. It also gives you the ability to buy some plushie toys and "a bonus offer from Marvel Unlimited" (don't know what).

If someone wants to email me at turkosza on the Google mail service, I'll give them the code.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

The Batgirl sale at comixology doesn't include the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run which is a shame as I've been planning to pick that up for a while. What is the current Batgirl run like? I've only read the first issue and it seemed ok.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dsmif posted:

The Batgirl sale at comixology doesn't include the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run which is a shame as I've been planning to pick that up for a while. What is the current Batgirl run like? I've only read the first issue and it seemed ok.

Loaded question. General reaction seems to be it's solid work with some nice attempts to treat the trauma of Barbara's paralysis seriously and a decently well represented trans character on the supporting cast. (I made it about 6 issues in before dropping it because it was pretty unspectacular) But BSS goonthink isn't terribly kind to Gail Simone, so I assume the response on here specifically isn't quite so positive.

Thinkin' about picking up some stuff from the GI Joe sale as it should end just after I get paid... Is the new IDW stuff any good? It's a shame the classics trades aren't part of the sale, as I've been interested in reading that stuff for a while.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

https://www.comixology.com/National-Comic-Day/page/3587

Free comics today, hooray. There's a few in here I've been meaning to check out, like Southern Bastards and Lumberjanes, and a few others I've been hearing about.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Check out Stumptown. It's volume 3, but all the stories are standalone. It's the only issue out so far, but might strike your interest.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

So, did they just not update their artwork template, or is there some reason that this is "The Nth Annual National Comic Book Day"?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A little research turned up that it's unclear when it began, so there's not an official number.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
For anyone sitting on the fence about that valiant comics bundle, they have fixed the issue. Everything shows up in the right order. Also they have added the third trade of most of their series.

This is a very worth while bundle for fans of comics. Even Valiant's worst stuff is well above average, in my opinion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You can also get the 4th and 5th Bloodshot trades for like half off at Comixology this weekend, too.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
"The Li'l Depressed Boy" Sale.

Bundle includes all 16 current issues plus a 100 page story that introduces him.

The previews look alright, but fellow goons, is it worthwhile getting?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

SomeJazzyRat posted:

"The Li'l Depressed Boy" Sale.

Bundle includes all 16 current issues plus a 100 page story that introduces him.

The previews look alright, but fellow goons, is it worthwhile getting?

Yeah I'm thinking about this, too. The description text makes it sound like Manic Pixie Dream Girl: The Comic, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I really like it. It's nice stuff. Not extremely powerful but, yeah, a nice, pleasant read.