Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
He also had some history of citing laws that do not exist in arrests or fumbling up DUI checks and poo poo like that.
Once again, not justifying his actions, but it does seem like the dude was a just a twitchy goober and not some cold blooded killer with malice. He just seems like to be a dude that can't handle stress at all nor is he very fit for learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Then the fucker shouldn't have applied to be a loving cop. Because he went into a high stress career when he obviously can't handle it, someone's dead.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
The guy isn't dead

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Throw that fucker in jail, no excuse for assuming that some random guy is going for a gun.

e: of course it wasn't just some random guy it was a random black guy

Miltank fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 25, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

deratomicdog posted:

The guy isn't dead

That's what I get for being too quick on the posting trigger. Thank god nobody'll take my posting badge. :shobon:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Kitfox88 posted:

That's what I get for being too quick on the posting trigger. Thank god nobody'll take my posting badge. :shobon:

I'm sorry, your going to be fired and your probably going to forums jail now. Oh well.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Untagged posted:

I'm sorry, your going to be fired and your probably going to forums jail now. Oh well.

Please, at worse he's going to get put on GBS duty for a few weeks while AI investigates then turns up nothing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Idiot + training for idiots by idiots + total fear of blacks.

This is the literal reason for I AM REACHING VERY SLOWLY FOR MY LICENSE BECAUSE YOU HAVE ASKED ME TO OFFICER.

Or I AM KEEPING MY HANDS ABOVE MY HEAD OFFICER, MY LICENSE IS IN MY WALLET WHICH IS LOCATED IN MY BACK POCKET.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
It's Columbia. The PD there is more focused on busting drunk USC kids than doing any real police work.

vvv My b.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 26, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's not the Columbia PD though if you'd read the article.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Why don't cops look me in the eye when they talk to me?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Applies to most people anywhere.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

However, not looking the police officer in the eyes is considered suspicious behavior.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Vahakyla posted:

That is what makes it so weird. Do you have to be somewhere on the autism spectrum to be a cop or is there some reasons for this behavior?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://www.ted.com/conversations/5813/why_don_t_people_look_into_eac.html

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

First answer in that thread: Political Correctness took away eye-contact....

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah it sucks. I just pointed out that there seems to be no real answer to the cause, but people do avoid it in other professions and interactions, too.

drat PC police!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

It's relatively minor but it's a city I live right by, so I'm mildly happy to see he's at least not getting paid vacation for causing a man to die via burning to death in his own car. :toot:

Maybe he'll even get jail time since he's up for charges of vehicular homicide and involuntary manslaughter!

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
I'm not sure where this site gets its data, but if they are to be believed, the reason it seems like the police have been killing a lot of people lately is because they have.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What's more confusing to me is they've got 394 listed as unknown race of decent. Were they all illegal immigrants or something or how does that work? :psyduck:

EDIT: Nevermind, after checking the about section I noticed that his sourcing effort is kinda scatterbrained. Unknown simply means that the source didn't mention the race of decent.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 29, 2014

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That chart is misleading as gently caress. Not necessarily saying that it's entirely wrong, but the width of the bars is so out of whack that two high data points completely drown out like 3-5 points of data between them.

You can see what I'm talking about if you actually go to that page and hover over the bar chart, there are points in that chart that are completely invisible because neighboring data completely envelops it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you think all cops that freak out and shoot someone are out for murder? We have so many unarmed people killed by cops it's practically SOP so I don't see any motive for murder, just another cop making sure he goes home that night. No chances.

He intentionally fired a gun at someone, that's intent to kill right there, full stop. There's no need to prove anything more than that. He may well be successful in his defense of it being justified (because ACAB), but that's a completely separate issue.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Firing a weapon is not the intent to kill necessarily and neither is it even established that he fired the first shot on purpose.

Pre-meditated act of killing is kinda big thing and is certainly not all homicided no matter how outraged you are.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
"Firing a weapon" is not the same as firing a weapon at someone in particular. This aspect of the event is pretty legally simplistic: The cop pointed his weapon at the victim and fired. If he wants to make the argument that it was reckless negligence (i.e. a negligent discharge) then that's his option but it's pretty unlikely that anyone is going to buy it. What he's looking at is that he either shot the man with the intention to kill him, or with the knowledge that he probably would kill him, and the prosecution doesn't distinguish between the two when looking at attempted murder. Y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill here. His legal defense will have nothing to do with whether shooting someone is the same as trying to kill them.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm not arguing in the legal sense, in which you are correct.
We were responding to a person saying that the trooper pulled the dude over intending to shoot him.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Let's put it this way: If the victim had walked up to the cop at a gas station, asked for his ID and then shot him when he reached into his truck, the prosecution would be charging him with attempted murder - along with a slew of other charges.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
No one doubts that.

Still, it is really unlikely the trooper pulled the man over to kill him. Which was the argument.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kaal posted:

Let's put it this way: If the victim had walked up to the cop at a gas station, asked for his ID and then shot him when he reached into his truck, the prosecution would be charging him with attempted murder - along with a slew of other charges.
Attempted murder in South Carolina requires premeditation.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Attempted murder in South Carolina requires premeditation.

Pulling out the gun and pointing it at someone constitutes premeditation. There's plenty of examples of South Carolinians being convicted for attempted murder in extremely similar circumstances to this event. Putting together a bunch of stalker photos like in the movies isn't required.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/25592401/easley-man-sentenced-for-2012-attempted-murder-of-officer

http://www.wistv.com/story/5996618/shreveporter-gets-150-sentence-on-attempted-murder-conviction

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kaal posted:

Pulling out the gun and pointing it at someone constitutes premeditation.
No, it really doesn't.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No, it really doesn't.

You should probably call up the South Carolina justice department and let them know that they're making some dreadful mistakes.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

SC Code
SECTION 16-3-29. Attempted murder.

A person who, with intent to kill, attempts to kill another person with malice aforethought, either expressed or implied, commits the offense of attempted murder.

I don't think an officer pulling a firearm will be enough grounds for malice aforethought, but I am not a lawyer.

This still ignores that the argument was that the trooper did not plan to kill when pulling the man over.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 29, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

I don't think an officer pulling a firearm will be enough grounds for malice aforethought, but I am not a lawyer.

Here's the South Carolina Court of Appeals chatting about "malice aforethought" (alternatively known as mens rea or premeditation). In particular I'll direct your attention to their discussion of the jury instructions (charge) of the same:

quote:

In this matter the trial court instructed the jury thusly:

"Assault and battery with intent to kill has 4 elements. It’s an unlawful act of violent injury to the person of another accompanied with malice aforethought. …Malice is an essential element of assault and battery with intent to kill. The malice must be aforethought. Thought of just before and at the time the blow was struck.

So what do we mean by malice? Malice imports wickedness, and it excludes any just cause or legal excuse. Malice springs from depravity, from a depraved spirit, from a heart devoid of social duty and fatally bent on mischief. It does not necessarily import ill will towards the specific person who is injured, but rather it signifies a general malignancy towards and recklessness for the life and safety of another or a condition of the mind that shows a heart devoid of social duty and fatally bent on mischief. There has to be a combination between this evil intent existing aforethought, just before and at the commission of the battery, and the act producing the battery. . . .

Now obviously, folks, malice is a state of mind. The State has to prove to you that the element of malice existed by either direct evidence or circumstantial evidence or a combination of both."

In its charge, the court went on to explain that the jury could infer malice from the use of a deadly weapon and explained the difference between ABIK and assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature (ABHAN). The court summed up the instructions and noted ABHAN, unlike ABIK, did not require malice aforethought.

http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/opinions/displayOpinion.cfm?caseNo=4242

"Malice aforethought" can occur just seconds prior to the act in question (dependent on the jurisdiction, of course). It essentially constitutes the act of rationally planning out the steps required to do violence. "Malice aforethought" is a component of virtually all violent crimes (excepting ones done in an irrational state of mind, or ones that occur due to accident or negligence). One should further note that our modern concept of "malice aforethought" has been heavily influenced by the 1970 Model Penal Code. The MPC had wide-ranging effects on the laws of different states, and the concept of mens rea in particular. A lot of the common terminology used in public discussions of crimes, and even in state statutes, is now functionally obsolete as a result. This is particularly important in the state of South Carolina, which has particularly vague statutes and relies heavily on court interpretation.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Zamujasa posted:

That chart is misleading as gently caress. Not necessarily saying that it's entirely wrong, but the width of the bars is so out of whack that two high data points completely drown out like 3-5 points of data between them.

You can see what I'm talking about if you actually go to that page and hover over the bar chart, there are points in that chart that are completely invisible because neighboring data completely envelops it.

Yeah, the overlapping bars are pretty terrible, but if you go to the tabulated data, you'll still see ~4x uptick since 2010.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

What's more confusing to me is they've got 394 listed as unknown race of decent. Were they all illegal immigrants or something or how does that work? :psyduck:

EDIT: Nevermind, after checking the about section I noticed that his sourcing effort is kinda scatterbrained. Unknown simply means that the source didn't mention the race of decent.

To be fair, police departments make the statistic of "how many people were killed by cops" basically impossible to track so I can understand the scatterbrained sourcing.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
The Tallahassee Police Department has managed to get yet another situation on their hands. The same guys who brought you Rachel Hoffman, Jameis Winston, and Christina West, were just caught on tape tasering a 62 year old woman in the back.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/277701991.html

Officers are on "administrative leave" and will probably get away with this as well.

Some of their recent fuckups:

Rachael Hoffman was shot and killed at 22 years old during a coerced drug buy. She was an FSU student and had to cooperate or lose her financial aid after getting arrested with .9 oz of :420: during a traffic stop. The officers involved were suspended WITH pay. The city settled the ensuing wrongful death suit for 2.6 million

Christina West at a whole 5'3" 130 pounds was being admittedly non-cooperative during a DUI arrest. The 6'4" cop Slammed her face down into the pavement hard enough to fracture her orbital bone.

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2267232.ece/alternates/s615/Christina-West.jpg :NSFL:

The cops involved were suspended without pay for 2 weeks. The city paid out a 400k settlement.

Although the stories swirling about are all over the place from stone cold rape to morning after regret, TPD did a mostly poo poo job of investigating (or not) Jameis Winston in the midst of a National Title run by FSU.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Not necessarily a cops on the street thing, but holy poo poo:

Government Set Up A Fake Facebook Page In This Woman’s Name

quote:

The Justice Department is claiming, in a little-noticed court filing, that a federal agent had the right to impersonate a young woman online by creating a Facebook page in her name without her knowledge. Government lawyers also are defending the agent’s right to scour the woman’s seized cell phone and to post photographs — including racy pictures of her and even one of her young son and niece — to the phony social media account, which the agent was using to communicate with suspected criminals.

The woman, Sondra Arquiett, who then went by the name Sondra Prince, first learned her identity had been commandeered in 2010 when a friend asked about the pictures she was posting on her Facebook page. There she was, for anyone with an account to see — posing on the hood of a BMW, legs spread, or, in another, wearing only skimpy attire. She was surprised; she hadn’t even set up a Facebook page.

The account was actually set up by U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration Special Agent Timothy Sinnigen.

quote:

In a court filing, a U.S. attorney acknowledges that, unbeknownst to Arquiett, Sinnigen created the fake Facebook account, posed as her, posted photos, sent a friend request to a fugitive, accepted other friend requests, and used the account “for a legitimate law enforcement purpose.”

The government’s response lays out an argument justifying Sinnigen’s actions: “Defendants admit that Plaintiff did not give express permission for the use of photographs contained on her phone on an undercover Facebook page, but state the Plaintiff implicitly consented by granting access to the information stored in her cell phone and by consenting to the use of that information to aid in an ongoing criminal investigations [sic].”

The DEA has been the source of a lot of incredibly reckless behavior before, but this is really gross. How does it never cross anyone's mind that posting images of her young son and niece on account that is just a front for communicating with suspected narcotics traffickers was remotely reasonable? I mean, I can see how someone might briefly think "Hey, this should look like a real Facebook page, so let's get a picture of the kids", but how does no one stop to think of what could be the repercussions of posting pictures of children related to someone they've set up (without her consent) to look like a snitch?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
http://www.salon.com/2014/10/10/it_breaks_my_heart_how_a_swat_team_upended_our_lives_and_got_away_with_it/

quote:

My son will be 2 years old next week. He’s recovering from a total of eight surgeries, one of which was to reattach his nose to his face.

For those who don’t know, it’s been over five months since the night a SWAT team broke into the house in which we were staying. It was the middle of the night, and even though our minivan with car seats inside was parked in the driveway and our children’s toys were in the yard, the SWAT officers claimed they had no way of knowing there were kids inside. We were staying with relatives and my whole family was sleeping in one room. My husband and I, our three daughters and our baby (nicknamed “Baby Bou Bou”) in his crib.

Dressed like soldiers, they broke down the door. The SWAT officers tossed a flashbang grenade into the room. It landed in Baby Bou Bou’s crib, blowing a hole in his face and chest that took months to heal and covering his entire body with scars.

On Monday, we were devastated and heartbroken by the grand jury’s decision to not charge any of the officers involved in injuring our son. I relive that night every time I hold my son, see my daughters afraid and watch my husband in pain. Bou Bou will be 2 years old next week, and my gift to him will be my continued commitment to demand justice for what was done to him. We will not give up, we will not remain silent – we will continue to fight.

Bou Bou’s birthday is October 14. We are very happy we can celebrate with him — after the raid, we weren’t sure if he would make it. But our joy and relief he is alive can’t take away any of the psychological damage done by that raid. We’ve been trying to find a new normal ever since. But it’s been hard.

First Bou Bou was in intensive care and we spent all our time at the hospital, not knowing whether he would live. He came out of the medically induced coma only to be subjected to surgery after surgery. My tiny son has had eight operations in the last five months. In the most recent one, surgeons opened up his chest to scrape away all the scar tissue that was attached to the bone and reopened his face to reattach his nose. And it’s far from over. Doctors tell us that my son will have to have double reconstructive surgeries twice a year, every year for the next 20 years.

He’s not even 2. No child should have to endure what he’s going through. This shouldn’t have to be his new normal.

The SWAT officers were searching for a relative who did not live in the home where we were staying. They suspected he might have some drugs, and for that reason alone, they raided the house, armed for war. They never found what they were looking for. But they crippled my family.

Not only did they blow up my son, but they also violently threw my husband to the floor. His shoulder is still so injured that he cannot care for our kids alone and awaits surgery himself. Before this happened, my husband and I worked vigorously the last 10 years to be free of debt. But now I have to stay home, and in five short months our family has taken on nearly $900,000 in medical bills, some of which have now gone into collections.

The SWAT team raid happened while we were staying in Habersham County, Georgia. After initially offering to cover the medical expenses, the county has since refused to cover any of our medical costs, all of which would never have happened if the SWAT team hadn’t broken into the home. The county refusing to pay has been very hurtful.

My kids have nightmares all the time. We all find ourselves waking up in a cold sweat, remembering that night.

Baby Bou Bou will not leave my husband’s and my side, even at our house. He wants to be constantly held. Our 3-year-old daughter is also very clingy and it is very hard for her to go to school. Bou Bou and I have been going with her and sitting at school all day. Otherwise she won’t stay.

Our days are really difficult. There are no words that can describe the hurt I feel in my heart when I try to explain to my kids what happened. As a mother, I just don’t know what to do some days. Everything’s just been so difficult and it feels like it will never get better.

I can’t explain to my kids that the cops are there to help them. They know otherwise, and they’ve been traumatized by it. My kids don’t even feel like I can protect them. When we’re at the mall and see security guards, they’re scared. It breaks my heart.

But I know that we are not the only ones suffering. I watched what happened in Ferguson this summer. It’s a tragedy, but I want the people there to know that the battle they’re fighting, they’re not alone. My family is standing with them and fighting with them. And all across the country, I know we need to get the grenades and the other military equipment out of the cops’ hands. It doesn’t matter how well law enforcement is trained to use military weaponry; it has a lot to do with their views and culture — if there’s a culture of racism, training will not make a difference.

My family is struggling, but we thank everyone for their prayers and their support and we’ll continue to fight until we get justice. This is not a one-person battle, but a community fight. We need to stop the militarization of police.

Alecia Phonesavanh is the mother of Bounkham Phonesavanh, nicknamed "Baby Bou Bou." She and her family live in Atlanta. For more information about Bou Bou, go to https://www.justiceforbabyboubou.com.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
How fuckin' splendid, 900K in hospital bills. :bravo:

Though I prefer this photo:

It's only due to questions of (other people's) taste and heroic self-control that I haven't photoshopped MAC-10s into his hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

quote:

Bad things can happen. That’s just the world we live in. Bad things happen to good people.

Said by the person creating the world where these bad things happen and then the justice system claims were handled responsibly.

We should be used to it, but every time the police shoot or explode random citizens and the justice system says that's just the price we have to pay as a society for [reason] it shakes me up that is the reality in which we are living and constantly crowing about how we are the freest country in the world. I mean remove the horrible wounded baby aspect from this story. The POLICE are using flashbang grenades to storm houses of people where the suspect they are looking for isn't even there. How does that not deserve more outrage?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 16, 2014

• Locked thread