Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Anyone got any views on Heroes of Normandie? It looks a fun and simple wargame to try and play with my kids. Im a miniature wargamer so I can live with dice rolls and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Serotonin posted:

Anyone got any views on Heroes of Normandie? It looks a fun and simple wargame to try and play with my kids. Im a miniature wargamer so I can live with dice rolls and stuff.

I've only read the rules, but it looks like a great intro Wargame. Not super complicated, the scenarios looked like they did a good job of ramping up the complexity. Didn't actually get to play it though, so.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Whoops, I should mention that any description of any game that I play always includes the house rule "once seen, always seen". ALWAYS. It has yet to break any game we've played, and we've played hundreds. GrandpaPants, our scores are not as close as yours with experienced players. However I would never tell anyone to keep playing a game that they weren't impressed with. Life is too short for that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lorini posted:

GrandpaPants, our scores are not as close as yours with experienced players. However I would never tell anyone to keep playing a game that they weren't impressed with. Life is too short for that.

I definitely recognize it as "not a bad game," and I wouldn't actively discourage anyone else from trying it like, say, Munchkin. It's just not to my taste, which is sort of par for the course for Euros.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Lorini posted:

Whoops, I should mention that any description of any game that I play always includes the house rule "once seen, always seen". ALWAYS. It has yet to break any game we've played, and we've played hundreds. GrandpaPants, our scores are not as close as yours with experienced players. However I would never tell anyone to keep playing a game that they weren't impressed with. Life is too short for that.

Honestly, I think this sort of "semi-hidden information" is mostly there to mitigate AP. If there are no AP-prone players in your group then that's a pretty good house rule. (Also, you're ridiculously lucky.)

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

So my buddy got Twilight Struggle. We played our first game last night, took us five hours and we called it at the end of turn 7.

I don't know what can of worms we've opened but I want more.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

Honestly, I think this sort of "semi-hidden information" is mostly there to mitigate AP. If there are no AP-prone players in your group then that's a pretty good house rule. (Also, you're ridiculously lucky.)

Whatever they think they are doing, it's silly to do it in a gamer's game. I was fortunate to spend some time with Richard Breese, and he feels as if the hidden information (such as what you see in Keyflower) is important to keep a 'family style' game moving. But we played Keyflower with the "What's seen stays seen" and he was impressed with how much it made Keyflower a gamer's game. So he included the variant as a gamer's game variant for the first expansion. And that's how I think it should be. If you are designing a game for people who like hard core or heavier games, they are most likely going to ignore the hidden stuff (that's been previously exposed) anyway because they want to beat the people at the table with thought, not memory.

There are certainly games that can aggravate AP, but as far as I'm concerned AP as an activity is the height of selfishness (my time is more valuable than yours; it's more important to me that I win than you have a good time) and I call people out on it. If they insist then either I don't play with them, or I bring my IPad out and play Carcasonne while they are thinking.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lorini posted:

There are certainly games that can aggravate AP, but as far as I'm concerned AP as an activity is the height of selfishness (my time is more valuable than yours; it's more important to me that I win than you have a good time) and I call people out on it.

This is certainly not always the case. Some people just aren't very smart, but still want to enjoy this activity. Like its important to prod people people with AP along, but calling it "the height of selfishness" implies that everyone is able to process information similarly to you, and that often just isn't the case. I mean, have you never zoned out on a puzzle or piece of information while trying to solve it? I certainly have, rarely while playing a game; but certainly in analogous situations involving puzzles.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Aston posted:

So my buddy got Twilight Struggle. We played our first game last night, took us five hours and we called it at the end of turn 7.

I don't know what can of worms we've opened but I want more.

I can assure you this one does get faster on repeated plays.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Madmarker posted:

This is certainly not always the case. Some people just aren't very smart, but still want to enjoy this activity. Like its important to prod people people with AP along, but calling it "the height of selfishness" implies that everyone is able to process information similarly to you, and that often just isn't the case. I mean, have you never zoned out on a puzzle or piece of information while trying to solve it? I certainly have, rarely while playing a game; but certainly in analogous situations involving puzzles.

I agree. I've had several times where I take longer than usual on a turn not because I'm doing mad calculations but because I'm going durrrrrr.

I do like that Kemet specifically mentions in the rulebook that the group should decide whether battle cards are discarded face-up or face-down. We decided face-down because we "don't feel like spending time rifling through other people's discard piles."

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Madmarker posted:

OK then they should play a game where they don't have to AP. I'm sorry but four people sitting around waiting for one person to take a turn while that person calculates and re-calculates etc, etc, is not fun for those not involved. I'm sure I'm mean or whatever, but no, they need to change themselves. I've had people change when I've called them out as well. Either play games that you can play and keep up with the tempo of the game, or make a by-the-butt decision and move on. People want to play games, not watch one person go into an AP funk. And people's time is important to them, the worst thing about AP is that it prevents people from playing more games in the same space of time. A long time ago I posted a letter I got from a guy who was impressed with the number of games he was able to play at a session at my place. No, I don't rush people, we don't speed play. However the first rule of playing at my place is to respect the other people around you and do what you can to make sure they are having a good time just like you. This includes not continually AP'ing, among a bunch of other stuff.

Puzzles are completely different. Sure, I might take an hour to work a puzzle, but I'm by myself!!!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Well go ahead and call them out. People will take as much time as you allow them. It's unfortunately not obvious to everyone that it's rude to think for excessive amounts of time unless you make it clear that you'd rather they move it along.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lorini posted:

Whatever they think they are doing, it's silly to do it in a gamer's game. I was fortunate to spend some time with Richard Breese, and he feels as if the hidden information (such as what you see in Keyflower) is important to keep a 'family style' game moving. But we played Keyflower with the "What's seen stays seen" and he was impressed with how much it made Keyflower a gamer's game. So he included the variant as a gamer's game variant for the first expansion. And that's how I think it should be. If you are designing a game for people who like hard core or heavier games, they are most likely going to ignore the hidden stuff (that's been previously exposed) anyway because they want to beat the people at the table with thought, not memory.

Did you tell him to loving reprint Key Market already?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

Did you tell him to loving reprint Key Market already?

I did! But he won't do it. It was kind of funny, he visited my home to play games, and he wanted to know why I didn't have Key Market. I told him that I'd sold it for $150 and he was offended. Who knew???

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Some good finds at the flea market today! Not a single missing piece :)

Yahtzee Free For All
Multiplayer competitive Yahtzee. You try to make combinations to score victory points or steal points from other players. Pretty similar to King of Tokyo.

Sharp Shooters
This one is quite similar to the last one; kind of a competitive Yahtzee. This one has "quest" cards that you add dice one at time instead of making entire combos, kind of like Elder Sign. There are also penalty combos that you can force other people to take.

Inside Moves
An old 70's abstract strategy game kind of like Hnefatafl. The object of the game is to get your king across the field or to capture all opposing pieces. The components are really nice; they are half the reason I picked this one up. They just made stuff better in the 70s.

Kings Crib
Some sort of unholy fusion of Cribbage and Scrabble.

C&O/B&O Railroading
A old school 1969 Avalon Hill game about trains. Move over Ticket To Ride C&O/B&O Railroading is clearly superior! This one came with a board 50% longer than the base Arkham Horror board. There are several hundred chits each with a specific train on it and all kinds of complicated charts. This game scares me :psyduck:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 29, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Rutibex posted:

C&O/B&O Railroading
A old school 1969 Avalon Hill game about trains. Move over Ticket To Ride C&O/B&O Railroading is clearly superior! This one came with a board 50% longer than the base Arkham Horror board. There are several hundred chits each with a specific train on it and all kinds of complicated charts. This game scares me :psyduck:

Reviews of this sound pretty bad. :getin:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
it's happening.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I don't have an iPad. :(

Maybe someday. Maybe someday.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
That and twilight struggle will absolutely kill any use my ipad may have ever had as a productivity device.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Rutibex posted:

Some good finds at the flea market today! Not a single missing piece :)

C&O/B&O Railroading

I'm extremely jealous - I have nostalgic memories of playing this with my dad when I was young, but over the years we apparently lost the rules and some of the pieces and it's practically impossible to find for a reasonable price now.

(Also, it's a terrible game that should never be played as a competitive exercise, but spending an hour setting up a copy with my dad would be awesome for purely sentimental reasons so I keep an eye out for a deal on a semi-regular basis)

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

andrew smash posted:

That and twilight struggle will absolutely kill any use my ipad may have ever had as a productivity device.

Whoa whoa whoa, they're making an app for Twilight Struggle?

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Big McHuge posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, they're making an app for Twilight Struggle?

Already made I'm pretty sure. First heard of on a Dice Tower boardgame breakfast video.

It looks, functional.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Serotonin posted:

I like Heroes of Normandie, but the rulebook is a mess. Like, all the rules are there, there aren't any holes in the rules, it is just finding the answer to your question isn't always the easiest thing.

Otherwise it's super baller as hell.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Right now I'm looking at Dungeon Roll and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game as options. they both look like they don't take up too much space and play in a decent amount of time.

If you have an iPhone/iPad, there are a lot of great boardgames available. I think Android has less of an offer, but there may be something interesting in there as well.

EDIT: Should read to the end of the thread before posting. Any reviews of Galaxy Trucker on the iPad?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 29, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

andrew smash posted:

Look at this guy who didn't specifically buy his iPad as a mobile board gaming platform, and actually thought you could do anything productive with it.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
So I played Mahjong for the first time tonight at board games night. I found it fun, even if every single rule seems completely arbitrary (I'm sure it made sense if you were a Chinese person 4000 years ago or whenever they came up with it). Would you folks consider it to be a strategy game or is it mostly just luck? (Also if this game is too traditional for this thread, you can ignore this post!)

Fat Samurai posted:

If you have an iPhone/iPad, there are a lot of great boardgames available. I think Android has less of an offer, but there may be something interesting in there as well

You can get Templar Assault for Android which is a clone of/similar to Space Hulk, if that's your type of thing.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

EvilChameleon posted:

So I played Mahjong for the first time tonight at board games night. I found it fun, even if every single rule seems completely arbitrary (I'm sure it made sense if you were a Chinese person 4000 years ago or whenever they came up with it). Would you folks consider it to be a strategy game or is it mostly just luck? (Also if this game is too traditional for this thread, you can ignore this post!)

We have discussed Mahjong in the thread before, so it's fair game. I also really enjoy the game as a light game, and I think it does have some depth too. And I haven't felt the need to even add the actual scoring bit, we just play to see who says "mahjong" first. You have to figure out what the other guys are collecting and collect something else, and obviously bluff to prevent other people from doing the same. It is pretty luck based though.
The basic rules (draw one then put one back, four sets and a pair to win and the various ways of taking discards) seem pretty solid to me, but there are some sillyness, such as the flowers which I strongly suspect are feng-shui related (The walls are 18 pieces long, 18=9*2, 9 is awesome energy), and the whole wall breaking dice randomness which essentially does nothing but looks cool.

Edit: I keep forgetting about the mahjong dialects, but I believe I am playing Chinese standard.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 29, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

EvilChameleon posted:

Do you know what variant of mahjong you were playing? "Rummy with tiles" is the core mechanic but there are a whole lot of variations that play very differently.

I would probably call mahjong a strategy game, unless you were only playing a single hand for some reason (which would turn more on luck).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

Reviews of this sound pretty bad. :getin:

It instinctively feels like it is a bad game. The rules have a single player setup; I don't know if I can actually learn a game from 40 year old instruction manual?

blackmongoose posted:

I'm extremely jealous - I have nostalgic memories of playing this with my dad when I was young, but over the years we apparently lost the rules and some of the pieces and it's practically impossible to find for a reasonable price now.

(Also, it's a terrible game that should never be played as a competitive exercise, but spending an hour setting up a copy with my dad would be awesome for purely sentimental reasons so I keep an eye out for a deal on a semi-regular basis)

:eyepop: I just checked ebay; wow I didn't know it was so rare! Its pretty much mint; all the chits are there. Some of them weren't even punched out. I got all these games for $2 a piece :v:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Already made I'm pretty sure. First heard of on a Dice Tower boardgame breakfast video.

It looks, functional.

It's still in production after a Kickstarter.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Galaxy Trucker for ipad owns bones. That is all.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

EvilChameleon posted:

You can get Templar Assault for Android which is a clone of/similar to Space Hulk, if that's your type of thing.

Mah Jongg is definitely a real game; the main variants are Chinese (mad dash to go out, paying some attention to which hand you're going for, actual scoring varies between fuckin villages much less provinces) and Japanese (extremely, extremely strategic game, with a rigid scoring mechanism, paying full attention to which tiles people have discarded, needing some sort of shapely hand to go out, and a "I am one tile from going out, I'm betting extra that I will go out first" mechanic that is super super cool).

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Crackbone posted:

Galaxy Trucker for ipad owns bones. That is all.

I concur. This is the best board game port I've ever seen. At $4.99, it's a steal. With iOS 8 Family Sharing, it's highway robbery for my wife and me.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My mom plays a version of Mahjong that has a different card every year that shows the legal hands. Pretty sure it's an American version. I like it well enough, but all the wall-breaking and stuff starts to get old after a bit. I'd rather just mess all the tiles around, take my starting hand and start playing.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
So, after a month delay, Temporum finally has a release date. October 15.

What's Temporum? Donald X. Vaccarino's Time Travel Board Game Which Has Nothing To Do With Tragedy Looper, It's Only a Coincidence that plays like a cross between Dominion and Kingdom Builder. It's a little more random than both, but it plays a little more traditionally even if it's a little weird.

During setup, you draw 10 cards to dominate the game, Dominion-style. They come from 4 different Ages, and you draw a number of cards equal to the Age number. There are Path markers which show the flow of history, and a single deck (ick) of Player cards which provide supplementary actions that remain somewhat consistent from game to game (2 copies of 30 cards in a 60-card deck).

The way it all works is that on your turn you can change history immediately following your Age, move to anywhere in "real" history (the path from A1-A4 on the board), and do the action wherever you end up. You're trying to get all your score thingies down to Age 4, but this requires you generally to be in the more volatile time periods or trying to use cards from the deck. I wasn't sold until I saw that the individual action cards rather elegantly can all be used for scoring, income, OR actions, thus reducing the variance of the deck. Also, having more of your scoring things in a single Age means you "Rule" it and sometimes get stronger versions of that Age's actions. It all comes across as an attempt at making Dominion without the deckbuilding and with a theme more appealing to lowest common denominators.

Perceived issues I may have with the game: Not much to do off your turn it seems, but hopefully turns should be quick. I have no idea how long the game will be and I hope the average length is 30 minutes or less. Single-deck.

The rules are available for reading on RGG's site. If Tragedy Looper continues to be sold out each time payday hits for me, I'll keep my hopes up for this.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

medchem posted:

I concur. This is the best board game port I've ever seen.

They've done a great job of converting the board game to digital form, but I'd hesitate to call it the "best board game port" when as far as I can see it doesn't have friend invites or allow you to set up private games :(

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Temporum stuff

Age of Cats

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

One of the action cards is "violently crush a butterfly" and it loving scrambles history when you do it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

One of the action cards is "violently crush a butterfly" and it loving scrambles history when you do it.

A few other amazing cards are listed in the rules sheet, including Nuclear Wasteland, Age of Cults, Robot Uprising, and Anubis Statuette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Elenkis posted:

They've done a great job of converting the board game to digital form, but I'd hesitate to call it the "best board game port" when as far as I can see it doesn't have friend invites or allow you to set up private games :(

I suppose if the lack of a feature knocks this game down to being worse than some other board game port you've ever seen, then so be it. However, I will add this comment, regarding private games, by Vlaada himself:

Vlaada on BGG posted:

We know it is a useful feature, and preparing it for an update. As well as some other multiplayer improvements. We just had to say "enough" and release the app at some moment...

Meanwhile, I suggest you name the game like "For (your_friend_name)" or "Jay, (friend1) and (friend2)" etc. Lets hope the other players will respect that.

• Locked thread