Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Maybe I should stick to speedrunning slightly less anime RPGs

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

People keep trying to justify his behavior this way, but he's just an rear end to everyone- it doesn't matter how annoying or stupid they are. People that are trying to be nice to him or trying to actually engage him beyond giving him orders get just as much attitude.

Also, Cloud was never as bad as Squall. Cloud started off very "mercenary"- he was just doing a job, but he wasn't going to get personally invested in the cause no matter how much Barrett yelled. And he mostly knocked it off after the first 20 minutes or so. Squall is just generally rude and pouty for no real reason. It's later handwaved as a "fear of attachment" thing, but because he apparently can't remember anything past a few years ago, he wouldn't even remember the abandonment. I'll also point out that everyone else in the story were ALSO orphans, and all got separated from each other, and none of them (except Seifer) turned into dickbags.
Fair points.

Barudak posted:

She's a terrible, terrible instructor and not a leader which in SeeD's weirdo military academy/mercenary highschool is kind of a big draw back for a person who is supposed to be both. Also while not entirely her fault she has difficulty processing what emotion she's actually feeling towards Squall which causes her to break numerous SeeD ethics violations which I'm assuming exist but they may have been written in the future and not yet made it back in time.
Yup. For further evidence of her being a fuckup, please see the Assassination sequence in which she leaves her post in order to apologize to a pouty teenager.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Maybe I stick to speedrunning slightly less anime RPGs
Even as a huge apologist, I can't blame you in the least.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Nihilarian posted:

Fair points.
Yup. For further evidence of her being a fuckup, please see the Assassination sequence in which she leaves her post in order to apologize to a pouty teenager.

Oh god that part. That part is just bewildering, and then she tells the other two to stay put so they can close the gate and what do they do? loving go after her.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Endorph posted:

Even as a huge apologist, I can't blame you in the least.

Don't give up so easily! Tell him how in the second game you can power up your attacks to such an insane degree that the damage wraps around and heals enemies!

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
In the end, it doesn't matter whether his attitude is justified or not, or whether the writers intended for it to have a justification at all. All that matters is it's not fun for the viewer. While Quistis is undoubtedly a bad teacher and role model, at least she's not intolerable for the entirety of the game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Isn't Quistis supposed to be like only a year older than Squall or something.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, she's only 18. She never really had business being a teacher in the first place.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Anyway older than 21 in a jrpg is taken out back and killed.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Yes, she's a child prodigy. But if you're a teacher it doesn't matter how close to your age they are. It's not very professional to get all up on your student's dick.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The game never really elaborates on why Quistis is fired, and we don't see enough of her teaching to say she sucks at it. It's also not like we see her hit on Squall while she's a teacher, so the claims of her being so terrible at her job don't have a lot of support.

Her leaving the mission to apologize to Rinoa was stupid, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quistis being 18 is the weirdest age-thing in RPG history. There's 29-30 year olds who go on about how old they are, but at least they look like they could be 29-30. Quistis looks like she's 29-30 and nobody in the game really comments on her being that young if I recall so 'wait she's 18' is a real shock.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

Quistis being 18 is the weirdest age-thing in RPG history. There's 29-30 year olds who go on about how old they are, but at least they look like they could be 29-30. Quistis looks like she's 29-30 and nobody in the game really comments on her being that young if I recall so 'wait she's 18' is a real shock.

I think I remember a couple of NPCs saying "She became an instructor at a young age!", but that's about it.

Also Treppies was a good name for her fan-club.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Selphie's the best character because 1. She never complains, unlike the rest of the characters. 2. "Blow it to smithereens with a rocket launcher!"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

Oh god that part. That part is just bewildering, and then she tells the other two to stay put so they can close the gate and what do they do? loving go after her.

I noticed on my last playthrough that, if you have Quistis in your party, you get a good deal of extra dialogue with her at certain times. For example, if you take her with you into space, or have her in your party when you revisit Edea's Orphanage after rescuing Rinoa from the Sorceress Memorial. I usually have Selphie in my party and she doesn't say poo poo But Quistis will talk a great deal witH Squall or about Squall at those moments and make her a bit more interesting.

My take on her going to apologize to Rinoa is that she felt bad about being jealous. Yes, on the surface it was about her yelling at Rinoa for being childish but I recall in those optional scenes with her she talks about being jealous of Rinoa and if you talk to her during the oprhanage bullshit, she says she had "given up" on Squall as soon as Rinoa came around. So I say she yelled at Rinoa because she felt Rinoa was competition. But she was self-aware enough to realize this and thus went to apologize.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 29, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

How Rude posted:

Selphie's the best character because 1. She never complains, unlike the rest of the characters. 2. "Blow it to smithereens with a rocket launcher!"

Also she likes trains. A lot.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I noticed on my last playthrough that, if you have Quistis in your party, you get a good deal of extra dialogue with her at certain times. For example, if you take her with you into space, or have her in your party when you revisit Edea's Orphanage after rescuing Rinoa from the Sorceress Memorial. I usually have Selphie in my party and she doesn't say poo poo But Quistis will talk a great deal witH Squall or about Squall at those moments and make her a bit more interesting.

My take on her going to apologize to Rinoa is that she felt bad about being jealous. Yes, on the surface it was about her yelling at Rinoa for being childish but I recall in those optional scenes with her she talks about being jealous of Rinoa and if you talk to her during the oprhanage bullshit, she says she had "given up" on Squall as soon as Rinoa came around. So I say she yelled at Rinoa because she felt Rinoa was competition. But she was self-aware enough to realize this and thus went to apologize.

It's kind of a shame how fast Quistis becomes irrelevant. She's probably the character I could stand the most and after the assassination attempt I don't recall her doing anything important ever again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also she likes trains. A lot.

"Train Train Take Us Away.
Take Us Away Far Away.
To the Future We Will Go.
Where It Leads No One Knows."

I demand FFVIII-2 where Selphie is a pop-star and some poor, poor voice actress has to belt that out like she means it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, she has a lot to say, but I wasn't sure if some of it was just filler talk like other characters would say stuff too or if it was just unique to her since she was in my party as much as possible.

How Rude posted:

She's also the reason you're even able to fly the Ragnarok around once you get it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kanfy posted:

Seifer will always remain in my heart as the guy who performed the most badass feat in Final Fantasy since Sabin's train suplex:

He out-Zantetsuken'd Odin.

Even if he gets blown away by Gilgamesh afterwards, that is hella :black101:

How do you get that to happen? I don't remember that at all.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's actually a pretty fun game so Iunno.

Nah man, the WR is under 3 hrs. I'm a WAY WAY long way off of that.

What. The. gently caress.

I mean, I know there's a lot of poo poo you can skip but that's loving bananas.

I'm not sure, I might be reaching, but I think there was some mild sexual innuendo there.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 29, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'm not sure, I might be reaching, but I think there was some mild sexual innuendo there.

The Seifer Odin thing happens way way later in the game, pretty much the very end of disc 3. And it is actually Seifer doing that, not Gilgamesh.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So like you can get most of the poo poo done in the first town on the first night since you can actually guess the code very easily. The 3rd digit is always 0. The first one is 1-3, the second is 4-6, and the fourth is 7-9. So getting one number seriously makes it easy to just guess poo poo. There's tons of time saving poo poo in here.

Here have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkwRGit1XCg.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'm pretty sure all you have to do is have obtained Odin before you fight Seifer for the last time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Has nothing on Rogue Galaxy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhJfg9IxpI8

RagnarokAngel posted:

Anyway older than 21 in a jrpg is taken out back and killed.

Everyone not named Cid, you mean. :eng101:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 is 50% Anime Bullshit, 30% STUPID Anime Bullshit, and 20% genuinely interesting and good character development, as well as some cool songs. It's kinda frustrating.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Terper posted:

Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 is 50% Anime Bullshit, 30% STUPID Anime Bullshit, and 20% genuinely interesting and good character development, as well as some cool songs. It's kinda frustrating.

I started playing the first cause of this thread and the RPG thread and I'm about four hours in. The crafting system and magic uh, diving, system seems like it could be really cool. There looks like there could be some exploiting there once I get off this stupid island.

The english va is terrible. Just plain terrible. And then the introduction of the diving system is so full of innuendo. It's not subtle at all, and it just keeps going with it, and suddenly the innuendo just stops and it's all serious again. Game is weird.

Also tired of fighting stupid regenerating healing people, so if this poo poo keeps going on I'm probably gonna just drop it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The first game is kinda slow paced and weird. They were clearly still trying to figure out a working formula. It also, like actually pretty much every single other game in the series, is incredibly breakable and you end up wildly overpowered.

The entire series is kind of frustrating because there's constant glimpses of brilliance in it. For all its fanservice, the series is rather impressively feminist, with female characters being universally the big movers and shakers of the story, with male characters relegated mostly to being combat machines and emotional support for the girls. The Cosmosphere/Genometrics idea is a brilliant way of getting more character depth that gets sadly too often used for wrong purposes. Hymmnos is brilliant, and the crafting systems tend to be fairly neat, though kinda simple compared to the Atelier series. There's just so much good stuff, but also so much BAD or creepy stuff, to the point where it's just a very difficult recommendation to make.

Honestly if they just toned down the fanservice and innuendo a couple of notches, I could see the entire series being actually really respectable. Unfortunately, Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think female characters are the movers and shakers of the story because 90% of the cast is female, and 90% of the cast is female because anime titties.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

The cosmosphere seems like it's literally just "A man enters a woman and empowers her." That's it. Like the first dive is just the dude going "Ok I'm going in this spot" and then she goes "Oh thank you for going to that spot, now I can make this spell!"

There is absolutely nothing feminist about it. It is all pro guy, pro woman needs a guy, all the way.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

I think female characters are the movers and shakers of the story because 90% of the cast is female, and 90% of the cast is female because anime titties.

Not incorrect, but maybe we can just be happy they were accidentally feminist? I mean honestly by the end game of AT2 Croix is entirely pointless. I'd never seen a supposed protagonist get shut out of his own games plot so hard. And it's not like something that has an exclusively female cast that still manages to make the female cast weak and powerless, the characters in AT have a tendency to grow and become less lovely people and eventually use power responsibly and poo poo. The series does tend to flip-flop with this and I may be just thinking of AT2 when I say all of these things.

(Also I should mention as a sideline that any praise I give to the series is implicitly excluding Qoga. gently caress that game.)

^^^^^^
That changes pretty quick... Though honestly I think the first dive is with Aurica and she's just kinda terrible overall. Plus, it's the first dive in the first game. It's pretty much a tutorial.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You wanna know a real feminist game series?

Senran Kagura.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It isn't as bad about it's female characters as it COULD be and a couple of them have decent arcs, but it's still a series where 80% of the female cast is in love with the protagonist and both literally and metaphorically lay themselves bare for him at the drop of a hat, come the gently caress on dude.

Oh, and pretty much all of the promotional art is ridiculous cheesecake.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

It isn't as bad about it's female characters as it COULD be and a couple of them have decent arcs, but it's still a series where 80% of the female cast is in love with the protagonist and both literally and metaphorically lay themselves bare for him at the drop of a hat, come the gently caress on dude.

Oh, and pretty much all of the promotional art is ridiculous cheesecake.

I guess you have a point. I just try to be optimistic about this sort of thing, I guess.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Any goodwill Ar Tonelico might have had was lost when they decided AT3 was something that needed to happen.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Edit: misread

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

"A man enters a woman and empowers her."

What the hell am I reading here

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ARRRRGGHHHHHH!!! Why did you have to post that!? Now all the memories come rushing back! Goddamn Mio!
I had to go through two bullshit dungeons because of her! :argh:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Any goodwill Ar Tonelico might have had was lost when they decided AT3 was something that needed to happen.

Thankfully AnS exists and we can try to pretend that AT3 didn't happen. It's even got an almost AT2-style battle system too.

SSNeoman posted:

Don't give up so easily! Tell him how in the second game you can power up your attacks to such an insane degree that the damage wraps around and heals enemies!

You don't even need to wait until AT2 to do that. The AT1 weapon improvement system is so ridiculously busted that at a certain point you start getting seven hits with each attack, each doing an extra 100% extra damage in every element with various status effects. For each of your three characters, before even using magic or skills.

Then the series started trying to shift towards magic in AT2 (still busted but on both ends), further in AT3 (where magic was the only thing that mattered), and now AnS where you wipe out entire fields of enemies in one spell. Oh Gust.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Schwartzcough posted:

Squall is just generally rude and pouty for no real reason.

No, there's a reason which I bothered to spell out for you earlier, you just choose to ignore it because it wasn't explicitly pointed out in the game the way Cloud's issues were in FFVII. One of the problems with FFVIII's writing is that there is some stuff beyond what's presented on the surface, but it requires you to actually stop and analyze it, and nobody wants to do that while playing the game, so they just ignore it and whine about the bad writing and terrible characters.

quote:

I'll also point out that everyone else in the story were ALSO orphans, and all got separated from each other, and none of them (except Seifer) turned into dickbags.

Yeah, that's because not everybody reacts to traumatic situations the exact same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Even as a little kid though, Squall was a moody little rear end in a top hat who shunned the other kids who were trying to play with him in favor of Ellone.

What I'm trying to say is that Squall never grew up, he's a total manchild.