Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

supermikhail posted:

Can someone recommend me a game from the series? I haven't played any of them, but I recently listened to a history audiobook and thought I might like to try a history videogame. The thing is, the book made me especially fascinated with Rome, but then I looked, and Rome: Total War is pretty old, and there are prettier games. At the same time, I feel less enthusistic about Empire's historical period, for example. I have also looked at Medieval 2, and that one seems to strike a good balance, between graphics and my interests... Eh, they are on a Steam sale right now, and you can probably get the whole series for the price of a single new release, but I'm not even sure that's a type of game for me (as time goes by, I play less and less, and I think I'm turning into a dirty casual). Anyway, help?

Rome 2 was pretty rough around the edges (to put it mildly) on release but most kinks have been ironed out by now and I'd say it's currently a very good game (though it's not part of Steam's offer). The objectively best game in the series is probably Shogun 2, but Medieval 2 still holds up pretty well if you prefer that setting.

edit: oh, apparently Rome 2 is free to play on Steam until tomorrow, so you could give that a shot.

peer fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

They goddamn better in the next decade at least. I really loved Napoleon and FOTS and some elements of Empire, hopefully we'll see something like that after they give us another Medieval.

I am sure they will do either an Empire 2 or a Napoleon 2 (or both) within the next decade

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Hahaha, both my Doge and his heir died on the same day, both do to old age. That fucker was 81 and his son was like 61.

e: some dude I adopted became the reagent and if no-one of royal blood is born from my princess than apparently my 61 year old battle hardened grizzled general will be the new king.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 27, 2014

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

peer posted:

Rome 2 was pretty rough around the edges (to put it mildly) on release but most kinks have been ironed out by now and I'd say it's currently a very good game (though it's not part of Steam's offer). The objectively best game in the series is probably Shogun 2, but Medieval 2 still holds up pretty well if you prefer that setting.

edit: oh, apparently Rome 2 is free to play on Steam until tomorrow, so you could give that a shot.

Holy disk space! It's gonna be over before I download the whole thing. (Guess it shows how much out of touch I am if disk space requirements surprised me.) I also just discovered the concept of demo, so I'm gonna look at that and see if I'm into this genre.

My problem with Medieval II is that Middle Ages' religion makes me unhappy. I know, I'm a weirdo.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

What does it say about me that I've never played a Total War game longer than an hour, but now that I'm playing Hyrule: Total War I can't stop? :ohdear:

I used the sale to buy Kingdoms and try it out and now I'm obsessed.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

A Medieval III would be fantastic. Dealing with the tedious (non-existent) replenishment system of Medieval II is a dealbreaker but I miss my feudal knights charging down peasants badly.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
That and putting the local militia in full chainmail. I miss visible upgrades.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Doomsayer posted:

What does it say about me that I've never played a Total War game longer than an hour, but now that I'm playing Hyrule: Total War I can't stop? :ohdear:

I used the sale to buy Kingdoms and try it out and now I'm obsessed.

Hyrule Total War is so incredibly boring at first, but as soon as big armies start rolling around it is the best.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

supermikhail posted:

My problem with Medieval II is that Middle Ages' religion makes me unhappy. I know, I'm a weirdo.
Great news, you can bring back paganism via the Lithuanians and fight back the western hordes as the native Americans in the Kingdoms expasion!

You can also download Hyrule, the Lord of the Rings or the Warhammer mod!

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Except the demo for Medieval II (I didn't expect aztecs! Aztecs were a pleasant surprise!) crashed with "an unspecified error" and a Steam discussion suggested a lot of faffing about with files and archives. It crashed only once (haven't tried running again), but I have a bad feeling about it. :(

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

supermikhail posted:

Can someone recommend me a game from the series? I haven't played any of them, but I recently listened to a history audiobook and thought I might like to try a history videogame. The thing is, the book made me especially fascinated with Rome, but then I looked, and Rome: Total War is pretty old, and there are prettier games. At the same time, I feel less enthusistic about Empire's historical period, for example. I have also looked at Medieval 2, and that one seems to strike a good balance, between graphics and my interests... Eh, they are on a Steam sale right now, and you can probably get the whole series for the price of a single new release, but I'm not even sure that's a type of game for me (as time goes by, I play less and less, and I think I'm turning into a dirty casual). Anyway, help?

I bought the grandmaster pack a couple years ago. It had every game, and all DLC in a GMG sale for $33 :whatup:

I think I approached it in the worst way possible.
Shogun 2 and expansions were the newest games, so I thought I'd start out with Rise of the Samurai! Terrible idea. The battles are super hard and unintuitive, and the agents are mega confusing.
OK, start over per thread advice with Shogun 2. It was initially pretty difficult for me to keep the Japanese words straight and especially how to use agents, raise armies, etc. Two hours of frustration, and ultimately I got trapped on an island with no money to build ships and get out :smith:

I started up Napoleon in a last ditch to try to get my money's worth for the gazillion games I bought that I don't like. I'd argue that starting with Napoleon is probably the best way to start.

The first mini campaign in Napoleon acts as a sort of tutorial and eases you into the mechanics.
The unit names and place names are mostly in English (or French). The tactics are a lot more intuitive (point the most possible guns at your enemy, and remember your ABCs - Always Bring Cannons). The empire management and use of agents is so much simpler. Naval battles are a colossal pain but can mostly be ignored in the Europe map.

From there, I went straight to Shogun 2 and played that plus Fall of the Samurai. Then Rome 2 a little bit and back to Shogun. I'd have a hard time picking a favorite between Rise, Shogun 2, and Napoleon.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I Downloaded the Rome II 4-day free access and liked the general gist of it, but $60 is still too much for my budget and how little I'd be playing it, plus some of the strategy level stuff is too wonky for me. I'm thinking of picking up the Napoleon and Shogun 2 collections (no FotS because I'm a dirty mac-haver).

I know Shogun 2 is good, but how well-regarded is Napoleon? I know it's effectively "Empire, but not as terrible" but that doesn't give me much of an idea as an outsider to the TW franchise. Are there any mods that start the game in the French Republic era? There doesn't seem to be much diversity in terms of faction choices in Napoleon, so should I just bite the bullet and get the Empire collection instead?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azran posted:

Did a mod ever come out that fixed the broken pike/musket behaviour in Medieval 2? I just want to play in a medieval setting again. :(

Dunno about muskets, but several Medieval 2 mods fix pikemen simply by removing their second weapon. With only pikes, they maintain their phalanx and don't immediately switch to butter knives the moment they make contact with the enemy.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Spiderfist Island posted:

I Downloaded the Rome II 4-day free access and liked the general gist of it, but $60 is still too much for my budget and how little I'd be playing it, plus some of the strategy level stuff is too wonky for me. I'm thinking of picking up the Napoleon and Shogun 2 collections (no FotS because I'm a dirty mac-haver).

I know Shogun 2 is good, but how well-regarded is Napoleon? I know it's effectively "Empire, but not as terrible" but that doesn't give me much of an idea as an outsider to the TW franchise. Are there any mods that start the game in the French Republic era? There doesn't seem to be much diversity in terms of faction choices in Napoleon, so should I just bite the bullet and get the Empire collection instead?

Napoleon is a lot of fun and has more faction-to-faction diversity than Empire does. It and Shogun 2 are easily the strongest Total War games (though I suspect Medieval 1 would still stand up pretty well these days apart from the graphics and controls).

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

John Charity Spring posted:

Napoleon is a lot of fun and has more faction-to-faction diversity than Empire does. It and Shogun 2 are easily the strongest Total War games (though I suspect Medieval 1 would still stand up pretty well these days apart from the graphics and controls).

Medieval 1 has a level of immersion to it that has only been matched by Shogun 2 to date. I seriously like it more than Medieval 2 which feels lifeless and empty to me after all these years.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Spiderfist Island posted:

I Downloaded the Rome II 4-day free access and liked the general gist of it, but $60 is still too much for my budget

Definitely don't spend $60 on it. It's already gotten as low as $25-30 in previous sales. Get the other games now while they're on sale and wait for another sale on Rome 2.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Athropos posted:

Medieval 1 has a level of immersion to it that has only been matched by Shogun 2 to date. I seriously like it more than Medieval 2 which feels lifeless and empty to me after all these years.

Too bad Medieval 1 is loving impossible to get working on a modern PC.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

THS posted:

Too bad Medieval 1 is loving impossible to get working on a modern PC.

You are gay.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Athropos posted:

Yeah I haven't played it in years - last time I tried I couldn't get it running at all - but this is my memory of it, certainly. A very particular atmosphere which hasn't been replicated by any of the subsequent games, and some flat-out great gameplay mechanics too (like each unit having its own leader with stats and even the potential for traits, or the crusades harvesting troops as they passed through provinces so that you ended up with a complete ragged hotch-potch army by the time you reached the crusade target - I loved that).

I can't get on with Medieval 2 these days. It feels horrible to play, not helped by the interface being ugly as sin.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Medieval 1 also had the best civil war mechanic.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Medieval 1 also had the best civil war mechanic.

It boggles the mind that they haven't repeated it since. Imagine realm divide in Shogun 2 but it gives you the option to play as the Emperor.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I can never understand why they never brought back the feature to ransom, recruit or kill off the wounded from battles too.

This is especially jarring in the gun powder games, when you kill entire armies to the last man. Age of reason my rear end.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
If I pick up Napoleon in the sale, is it worth it to get the DLC too, or is vanilla fine on its own?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just purchased Medieval 2 over 10 years after loving Medieval 1 to death. Should I start playing vanilla and then move to mods or jump in with mods right away

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
If anyone's wanting to play the original Medieval, I got it working on 64-bit Windows 7 using this and didn't have any problems for the short while that I played it, worked with or without Viking Invasion, still no widescreen though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wocobob posted:

If I pick up Napoleon in the sale, is it worth it to get the DLC too, or is vanilla fine on its own?

Vanilla Napoleon is great but I thought the Iberian campaign was a lot of fun as well.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I bought both of them + expansions. I'm looking forwards to playing them once I'm done with all my gradschool work this coming week. :negative:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Well, I, too, got Medieval II off the sale. And... both tutorials broke. In the battle tutorial Harold, er, of the English, refused to die when scripted, but otherwise it ran fine. The campaign tutorial is unplayable because Rufus refuses to get on the boat! :gonk: But it's the important tutorial. That's where I don't understand what's going on! ...That's I understand less of what's going on!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I suggest looking up the tutorial on YouTube if the tutorial is broken in game.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I can never understand why they never brought back the feature to ransom, recruit or kill off the wounded from battles too.

This is especially jarring in the gun powder games, when you kill entire armies to the last man. Age of reason my rear end.

In Rome 2 it's kill, enslave or release! I expect Attila will add a ransom in there somewhere, maybe in place of enslave, now that family trees are a thing again. Recruit could be fun, though I could see why they wouldn't have it in a system with replenishment.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeanBeansShako posted:

I could spare listening to someone beg for their lives after every single battle followed by hearing someone having their throat slit right after.

My generals ended up being super noble because of that.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Mans posted:

I could spare listening to someone beg for their lives after every single battle followed by hearing someone having their throat slit right after.

My generals ended up being super noble because of that.

Same, but it's not my fault their lords won't pony up. :colbert:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
just got Rome II what do I need to know?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Miltank posted:

hate it with every fibre of your being but also you keep playing it

What kinda tips are you looking for exactly? Like level of familiarity with other TW games, etc.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Miltank posted:

Get a mod that reduces or stops AI use of agents.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Did shalcar evr write up that final summary of the economy in Shogun 2? The forth post just says "summary coming soon."

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

StashAugustine posted:

Did shalcar evr write up that final summary of the economy in Shogun 2? The forth post just says "summary coming soon."

It's not written yet on account of life conspiring to barely give me time to get my main LP updates out, let alone get any bonus ones done and the maths heavy posts tend to kill the thread a bit, so I like to have a little momentum up before I drop one.

It's a good point though, I'll see if I can't get it written up this week to wrap up my economy series of posts.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there a way to get food in Shogun beyond +1 per farm building? If I need a surplus (for high-level markets, for example) I have to short one province a town size?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a way to get food in Shogun beyond +1 per farm building? If I need a surplus (for high-level markets, for example) I have to short one province a town size?

There is a chi art that gives you bonus food but other than that you are correct in that you need to choose between fortifications and the extra building slots or bigger markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

shalcar posted:

There is a chi art that gives you bonus food but other than that you are correct in that you need to choose between fortifications and the extra building slots or bigger markets.

Thanks. As Date, is it possible to go all-in on charge/weapons for my no-dachis or do they need a little armor?