Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Clan Play a Better Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ok I think we have enuf names thanks ppl lots of good suggestions cheers

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
For me at least my thing was I wanted a new mechwarrior 4 type game. I have basically memorized the games. I was one of those super disheartened when it was a f2p online only game. Hell mechwarrior 2 mercs remake would have been aces. Alas :smith:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Last night with three lights, two Jenner-Fs and a Raven, we rocked hard by running up behind the enemy boats and instantly dropping a warhawk with alphas to the back. Then we killed two kit foxes, and an all lrm stormcrow, then we did the same instant back core again to a stalker boat.

In short goon lights carried it was sick.

But yeah kit foxes do go down hard when caught alone.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

Last night with three lights, two Jenner-Fs and a Raven, we rocked hard by running up behind the enemy boats and instantly dropping a warhawk with alphas to the back. Then we killed two kit foxes, and an all lrm stormcrow, then we did the same instant back core again to a stalker boat.

In short goon lights carried it was sick.

That was fun as hell. I couldn't stop laughing after that warhawk crumpled with full armor on everything but his back CT.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paramemetic posted:

Pretty much any mech out alone can get wolf packed.

There's something very satisfying about landing all shots out of 6 C-AC/5s into some poor mechs head. 800 ammo feels like a lot until you start clicking.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

That's a damage potential of 1200+ iirc. Should be enough for a match.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

various cheeses posted:

That was fun as hell. I couldn't stop laughing after that warhawk crumpled with full armor on everything but his back CT.

Sounds pretty amazing, was it with only one salvo each or was it several?

quote:

Here is a referral to Heavy Gear if anyone wants to help me get some keys: http://heavygear.com/register?ref=de54d3d3

Even if you don't care about this game maybe you could register to help me get some keys for goons that want to?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This referral begging is seriously getting out of hand. If you hate MWO why don't you just post somewhere else? :colbert:

http://www.heavygear.com/register?ref=3ca731ae

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Koorisch posted:

Sounds pretty amazing, was it with only one salvo each or was it several?

It was a single salvo. 80 points of alpha right up his rear end. We went in through the tunnel on frozen city, went up behind the LRM boats, I gave the countdown, and we all shot him in the back.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

lol

Also I wonder why the Pyrrhic Victory achievement didn't go off for this??

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 29, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Watching TheB33f has made me say 2spooky4u whenever I kill someone stealthily from behind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nNZKP9WMLY&list=UUmxv6LmrmYXZxX0mt-cNQiA

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I remember getting rolled by him and his friends when we were dropping one night. Not even mad, they brawled hard and were cool bros, that guy plays the game right.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

I need some help - currently waffling between two Flame builds, neither of which I'm happy with:

Build 1: 4x large laser, XL engine. Mostly just peek around corners and fire a single arm at a time. Really boring to play as it's basically a lovely Atlas RS.

Build 2: AC 20, SRM 6, 4x medium laser, standard engine. More fun as it's a brawler and can popsicle ok, but at 72 kph I'm too slow to get out of bad situations.

Suggestions?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

OptimusWang posted:

Suggestions?

Pilot a better robot :v:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
With a flame I'd definitely try to keep my distance, especially if you're only going 72km/s. Back in the Squawk days, 4LL Flames were half decent at least, but if that's boring, play a better robot. ;)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I had a Flame that went something like 110kph, had 4x MPL, and an SSRM2 or SRM4. A little slow and bulky for a light mech, but more armor than you'd expect.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Flame is one of the Dragon heroes.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I have developed an unhealthy obsession with twin IS UAC/5 weaponry, it started with the Victor currently on trial, and now I try to fit that poo poo everywhere. It's not good, a single AC/20 is lighter and more reliable but I can't help trying to fit that whereever I can find enough ballistic hardpoints.

I'm the worst mechwarrior. Or should I say Mechkrieger?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
After spending some time with the Kit Fox, I've basically come to the conclusion that there's never a reason to not be packing the -C right arm (for ECM and AMS) or the -S side torsos (for JJs; the -S legs not only lose the structure bonus from the Primes but have a turning penalty, so gently caress that noise) which means most of your variation will come from your LA choice.

I might dump 600k later and try a Mini-Splatfox out. 39-point alpha with ECM and JJs? :getin:

What camo pattern is that? I really like it.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 29, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Flame is one of the Dragon heroes.

Yup. One of my favorite 60 ton light mechs.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

WarLocke posted:

What camo pattern is that? I really like it.

It's my Founder Hunchback. :smith:

Edit:
Like Hero Mechs (and the Champion/Hero Equivalents of the other preorder/moneygrab packs) they come with their own paint pattern that can't be changed for something else, I just changed the colors around a bit.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 29, 2014

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
We're changin' yall.

"I've got a bridge to clan warfare to sell you."

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

With a flame I'd definitely try to keep my distance, especially if you're only going 72km/s. Back in the Squawk days, 4LL Flames were half decent at least, but if that's boring, play a better robot. ;)

lol yeah, I'll probably go back to ghost dad and my Ilya. Just wanted to see if the hive mind had a better build.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DiHK posted:

We're changin' yall.

That needs to be a 'Change' poster. Possibly even a 'Hope'.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DiHK posted:

We're changin' yall.

I killed Paul AllenInouye with an axe. In the face. His body is dissolving in a bathtuba sink in Hell's Kitchen the Chongqing Restaurant.

Edit: In case Niko is reading, this is me paraphrasing American Psycho because your CEO's picture looks like a $10 Patrick Bateman.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I killed Paul AllenInouye with an axe. In the face. His body is dissolving in a bathtuba sink in Hell's Kitchen the Chongqing Restaurant.

Edit: In case Niko is reading, this is me paraphrasing American Psycho because your CEO's picture looks like a $10 Patrick Bateman.

Niko is always lurking. He's the creeper in the Free Candy van of mwo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

OptimusWang posted:

Niko is always lurking. He's the creeper in the Free Candy van of mwo.

Yeah, just making it clear that it was neither an admission of murder or a death threat, just in case I actually want to log in and play with my robots at some point in the future.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, just making it clear that it was neither an admission of murder or a death threat, just in case I actually want to log in and play with my robots at some point in the future.

Too late, it's going to be used in their upcoming "we got death threats, please give us more time" speech when the blow past the deadline for CW.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Fil5000 posted:

What, you're saying that Niko can't tell the difference between a joke and a serious comment?

...I'm sorry that you're account got banned (soon). :smith:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Go with the old Final Form build from the wiki. Max engine, 4 mediums and a gauss with 3 tons of ammo. You also need ferro + endo + doubles.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

Too late, it's going to be used in their upcoming "we got death threats, please give us more time" speech when the blow past the deadline for CW.

"We had to spend all the clan pack money on firebomb protection for the office."

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Paramemetic posted:

This. If I want to play a boat I'll play a boat, if I want to play an ECM bubble I'll do that, but if I want to light I want to go fast and die hard.

It's a hard life for the kitfox pilot. Neither glory nor excitement is there for you. You aren't there to run around, you're there to be a big boring impenetrable bubble of four ECM's and 16 anti missile systems. Maligned, you guard assault butts and take pinch hits at the spiders and ravens which have circled around to try to get LOS on your group. Life is boring, and you're bored. You remember that Paramemetic guy, how he ran screaming down the assault column, pulling everyone's attention away and sending a hail of ordinance and laser fire desperately after him as he yelled something about shitlords. How he subtracted the weakest of your numbers from the lot by tempting him into an ambush column and then, once they looked up and saw two timberwolves, parked himself right in his reverse path. But no, this life is not given to you.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

imperialparadox posted:

What, you're saying that Niko can't tell the difference between a joke and a serious comment?

...I'm sorry that you're account got banned (soon). :smith:

Isn't that how we lost Dance Commander Kerensky?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, I just started playing this game last night and I'm currently in the market for some advice. So, I'm thinking about using either a light or a (preferably fast) medium mech, as I prefer flanking and speed over being slow and powerful, but seeing as I'm not actually all that familiar with the MW games (blasphemy, I know) I'm not sure which one to go for. At the moment after looking through the descriptions on the MWO wiki and this thread's OP I'm leaning towards either the Jenner or the Firestarter - preferably equipped primarily (if not entirely - unless this is strongly unrecommended, of course) with lasers. But yeah, I'm also considering going for a medium mech, although if I do, are there any that just have arm slot weapons? Since the way I've played so far, I'm very infrequently facing/shooting forwards, as I tend to just hoon around shooting enemies over my mech's shoulder.

So yeah, if anyone would care to help out an inexperienced MWOer, I would greatly appreciate it! :shobon:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Major Isoor posted:

Hey all, I just started playing this game last night and I'm currently in the market for some advice. So, I'm thinking about using either a light or a (preferably fast) medium mech, as I prefer flanking and speed over being slow and powerful, but seeing as I'm not actually all that familiar with the MW games (blasphemy, I know) I'm not sure which one to go for. At the moment after looking through the descriptions on the MWO wiki and this thread's OP I'm leaning towards either the Jenner or the Firestarter - preferably equipped primarily (if not entirely - unless this is strongly unrecommended, of course) with lasers. But yeah, I'm also considering going for a medium mech, although if I do, are there any that just have arm slot weapons? Since the way I've played so far, I'm very infrequently facing/shooting forwards, as I tend to just hoon around shooting enemies over my mech's shoulder.

So yeah, if anyone would care to help out an inexperienced MWOer, I would greatly appreciate it! :shobon:

Jenner-F is p. high-quality and easy to play. Stick the biggest engine you can in it (XL300 I think), six medium lasers, JJs, and lurk around the edges of a fight dumping two or three alphas into the backs of assaults. When they notice you, run away hooting.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Don't listen to him, buy a commando.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Major Isoor posted:

Jenner is a reliable classic and sorta neat looking. Lot of fun to play, and it has missile options.

The Firestarter does pretty much everything the Jenner does better because it has magic hitboxes, unlike the Jenner which is about 45% center torso. It doesn't have a missile variant though, and the best version is cash-only. According to Kiiyor's data though, the cash Firestarter is the best light in the game, and all the Firestarters do well.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
The Jenner-F is a 'mech version of a fighter jet made of biceps. With the fit Patton mentioned, it's fast (152kph tops after you unlock everything), can hit pretty hard, and tear away before whatever you're shooting at has time to do anything about it.

The Cicada is probably the fastest medium (I've been a bit out of the loop, but I think this is still the case), and can load a similar weapon set (4 energy and 1 ballistic hardpoints), while going a similar speed (151kph tops), but with the bonus of having ECM. This comes with the drawback of having no jump jets, and being fatter / easier to hit.

The Centurion is a butt punching devil with 3 SRM6s. It has big arms that you don't put weapons in in order to use them as shields. You run a big standard engine so you can zombie with your 2 CT medium lasers. This used to be the newbie 'mech of choice for Goons who played this game, and though the current meta is harsh on mediums, it'll teach you to torso twist like a boss and can pump out a lot of damage.

However, none of these options have arms that move from side to side (or in the case of the cent, that you use), and if you're new, the Jenner and Cicada will set you back a decent chunk of cash because the XL engines you'll want in them, along with the ferro and endo upgrades, get pricey.

If you gotta have the sideways mobile arms, in a 'mech that won't make goons teamkill you, the firestarter is probably your best bet for a light. For mediums, you have more choices (and I'm not very familiar with mediums as I rarely play them) but people seem to say good things about the Shadow Hawk, and the Wolverine and Griffon supposedly play like a Centurion with jump jets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

aniviron posted:

The Firestarter does pretty much everything the Jenner does better because it has magic hitboxes, unlike the Jenner which is about 45% center torso. It doesn't have a missile variant though, and the best version is cash-only. According to Kiiyor's data though, the cash Firestarter is the best light in the game, and all the Firestarters do well.

I loving hate Embers with a passion. They're big enough to not die easily at the speeds they can get to, and they can mount 4x medium laser and 4x machine guns. loving vultures come in and carve you up once you have open internals. :mad:

• Locked thread