Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

This is the world the year I was born.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtB5TPgAXW8

I literally existed at the same time as this commercial was on tv.

He's a boomer! Get him! :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Technically I'm Gen X.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

corn in the bible posted:

Il and Un have popular acclaim as the figurehead of the country; theres statues and posters of them everywhere. but apart from having lovely vanity films made or important expensive cars they probably don't get in the military's way -- they get the stability of a constant leader that a military coup would disrupt

Yeah. How much "governing" does the NK regime actually do? There's the violent repression of all dissent, there's the importing massive amounts of Hennessy,, but it ain't like they're passing lots of new laws.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
West Wing trivia: Sidney Poitier was the first choice for President Bartlet and Eugene Levy nearly got the Toby role.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

This is the world the year I was born.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtB5TPgAXW8

I literally existed at the same time as this commercial was on tv.
I remember that commercial. :corsair:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

corn in the bible posted:

Il and Un have popular acclaim as the figurehead of the country; theres statues and posters of them everywhere. but apart from having lovely vanity films made or important expensive cars they probably don't get in the military's way -- they get the stability of a constant leader that a military coup would disrupt

The Generals et al can simply make themselves the new figureheads. Lord knows they've gotten away with that in more "western-approved" military dictatorships in the past. There's even Jong-Il's Military First policies to base the changeover off of.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I'm honestly surprised it took this long to reach Peak Politico.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to regurgitate press releases.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Technically I'm Gen X.

Exactly. Spend a little more time practicing arithmetic and a little less time honing snark, futureless bereft millenials :smugdog:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

Candidate A with "Bipartisanship" word balloon
Candidate B with "Bipartisanship" word balloon
67% of Politico readers think Candidate B SAID IT BEST.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
apparently DPRK propaganda is run like a matriarchy with dear leader as the mother figure.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Does anyone have any good resources on the relationship between Spain and Catalonia and Catalonian separatism?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Actually Peak Politico would have been Mike Allen selling sponsorship spots for the astrologer and then asking them questions about US energy policy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

Does anyone have any good resources on the relationship between Spain and Catalonia and Catalonian separatism?

Have you considered Wikipedia.Com?

Also if yall wanna see what I consider to be the best depiction of trans and gender issues on TV ever check out Transparent on Prime.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

Have you considered Wikipedia.Com?

Also if yall wanna see what I consider to be the best depiction of trans and gender issues on TV ever check out Transparent on Prime.

I meant more along the lines of books or articles. I'm familiar with it on a Wikipedia-grade level, but I want to sharpen up and go further in depth.

Are any of the other new shows this "season" worth a drat?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno I don't watch first season shows until they get renewed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did you say...meme :iamafag:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"put a spider in your dumpling" is a good one

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Andrew James McDowell of San Jose, CA registered this PAC with the FEC:

PEOPLES COALITIONS FOR MEGA-EVIL AND THE OVERTHROW OF THE MODERN AMERICAN GOVERNMENT; THE

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Joementum posted:

If we're being honest, I liked Silent D better.

lol well im glad youre happy with your sex life

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

this may be true for power but it sure as poo poo ain't true for wealth

All of the wealthiest people I've ever met have been very quiet about it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it is pronounced meh-may

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWhfVq3vPzQ
:ohdear:

btw he still has a weekly show where he points out how everything in the news was foretold by biblical prophecy.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 29, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tbp posted:

All of the wealthiest people I've ever met have been very quiet about it

on the other hand, the people one step below are quite loud

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

on the other hand, the people one step below are quite loud

Idk I guess some are but its really more of a personality thing than a "making or having money makes you obnoxious" thing

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The dry cleaning bill for a suit-wearing man who carries around trussed pigs has got to be expensive.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Man, Archer's new season is just trying to be edgy a little too hard.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I am currently drinking a free small coffee from mcdonalds. I'm basically out of money because of my life choices

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

The dry cleaning bill for a suit-wearing man who carries around trussed pigs has got to be expensive.

That's Quality Comics' T-Man, the premiere anti-communism comic book of the 1950's!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tbp posted:

Idk I guess some are but its really more of a personality thing than a "making or having money makes you obnoxious" thing

that's my point yeah. a lot of people like to spout the "oh well wealthy people won't tell you how wealthy they are" stuff but in reality wealthy people have the same proportion of people who'll have braggart personalities.

people who would brag about what they got whether it was their second villa or their second used geo metro.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SedanChair posted:

I am currently drinking a free small coffee from mcdonalds. I'm basically out of money because of my life choices

You never really had any choices. None of us did.

zoux posted:

That's Quality Comics' T-Man, the premiere anti-communism comic book of the 1950's!

http://www.mohammadmossadegh.com/news/t-man-comic-book-propaganda/

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

that's my point yeah. a lot of people like to spout the "oh well wealthy people won't tell you how wealthy they are" stuff but in reality wealthy people have the same proportion of people who'll have braggart personalities.

people who would brag about what they got whether it was their second villa or their second used geo metro.

Yeah i agree with this

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Have you considered loans?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why do people hate Guns Germs and Steel so much. I read it a few years ago and I'd paraphrase the theme of the book as "quirks of geology, climate and disease gave Europeans an overwhelming advantage which is how they came to dominate so much of the globe during the colonial era" but people talk about it like it's a pro eugenics treatise.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

someone in my neighborhood has posted a missing poster for their cat, named "white cat"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Why do people hate Guns Germs and Steel so much. I read it a few years ago and I'd paraphrase the theme of the book as "quirks of geology, climate and disease gave Europeans an overwhelming advantage which is how they came to dominate so much of the globe during the colonial era" but people talk about it like it's a pro eugenics treatise.

Its poo poo. That argument is poo poo. Europe had an advantage from Rome's people's assemblies, which due to random chance, continued in England and evolved into parliamentary democracy leading directly to America.

E

Badger of Basra posted:

someone in my neighborhood has posted a missing poster for their cat, named "white cat"

What if the kitty's name is Abdullah? Would you post pictures for a lost kitty named Abdullah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its poo poo. That argument is poo poo. Europe had an advantage from Rome's people's assemblies, which due to random chance, continued in England and evolved into parliamentary democracy leading directly to America.

E

What if the kitty's name is Abdullah? Would you post pictures for a lost kitty named Abdullah?

Ok I can see that as a counterargument but when I see crit of the book it's that the book is racist.

• Locked thread