Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DrPain posted:

How would you fine denizens of GWS rate this 7 piece set of Wusthof Classic Ikon?

Get a chef knife, a paring knife, and a third knife of your choosing (usually bread knife or santoku). Blow the $200 you save on a bachelor party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Knife blocks are fine.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

hoshkwon posted:

So I saw one of these while watching Mind of a Chef:

Breville's Fast Slow cooker. Basically a counter-top pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, etc. all in one. I've been meaning to get both a nice slow cooker and rice cooker, and also have always wanted a pressure cooker. This seems like the perfect all in one package. I know Breville makes quality products and this unit is ~$170 on Amazon. While perusing Amazon, I found more or less the same products of different brands with 4.5 star reviews (with hundreds of reviewers) that are alot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I...pressure+cooker

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KLFU02W?psc=1

Has anyone tried these things? Is Breville's product price just inflated because of the brand name? Even the cheapest one at ~90 bucks seems to have 4.5 stars..

P.S. - One pretty cool feature of these machines is that you can brown your meats right inside the cooker. Saves the hassle of having to brown my meat in a pan and transfer it over to the crock pot like I used to.

This: http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G is what I have and has worked really well for my purposes. Which are cooking for myself on a fairly regular basis. I probably use it a couple of times a month, mostly just for the rice cooker function, but the pressure cooker and slow cooker have also served me well. If anything it's bigger than I really need.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Knife blocks are fine.
That block keeps the edge off any pressure as well which I think is the argument against.

I have some different wusthofs which I like. Honestly go to a store and ask to try them out, my friend loves global and hates my knives.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I'm looking for two things: a toaster oven and a slow cooker. What's a good, small (I live alone in an apartment) option for both of these?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The Breville Smart Oven is pretty hard to beat.

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV800XL-1800-Watt-Convection-Toaster/dp/B001L5TVGW/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have the next smaller one and it works great too, fits a whole chicken
http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV6...s=breville+oven

As far as slow cookers go, any cheapo $15-20 one should do the job.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/midnightscoop/the-midnight-scoop

This ice cream scoop looks awesome but gently caress paying $45 for one

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Steve Yun posted:

What a scam, all you have to do is microwave your cheap metal scoop for 15 seconds. Save your money, kids!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

This: http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G is what I have and has worked really well for my purposes. Which are cooking for myself on a fairly regular basis. I probably use it a couple of times a month, mostly just for the rice cooker function, but the pressure cooker and slow cooker have also served me well. If anything it's bigger than I really need.
I have this and recommend it as well.

I've never actually used the slow cooker mode, though, because pressure cooking gets similar results so much more conveniently.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Che Delilas posted:

What a scam, all you have to do is microwave your cheap metal scoop for 15 seconds. Save your money, kids!

Ummm, I'm pretty sure putting metal inside a microwave is a bad idea.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

1redflag posted:

Ummm, I'm pretty sure putting metal inside a microwave is a bad idea.

You're so cute.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

" Through an engineer's understanding of ergonomic design and mechanical force . . ."

It would have to be a mechanical engineer that designed and created a new ice cream scoop instead of turning the old one over and using your bicep for force.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

You're so cute.

Thanks, but I hardly see how that's relevant.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

1redflag posted:

Thanks, but I hardly see how that's relevant.

As long as the metal isn't touching the walls or top of the microwave, you're probably fine to put metal in there. The issue is that the magnetron will arc on a grounding source, and that'll damage it rather spectacularly.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

As long as the metal isn't touching the walls or top of the microwave, you're probably fine to put metal in there. The issue is that the magnetron will arc on a grounding source, and that'll damage it rather spectacularly.

Arcing can occur whether or not the metal is touching the walls or top of the microwave depending on the shape and position of the metal, as it's caused by the metal reflecting the energy rather than absorbing it.

quote:

Metals, on the other hand, are great conductors of electricity, being packed with electrons that can move freely. Depending on the shape/type/thickness/distribution/etc. of metal, you may observe some heating of the metal itself in the microwave or none at all. You may also observe some arcing of electricity or none at all. In any event, when these microwaves hit the metal, free electrons on the surface of the metal end up moving from side to side very rapidly. This, in turn, prevents the electric wave from entering the metal; thus, the waves end up being reflected instead. However, there is also the potential that this ends up creating a sufficient charge density that the electrical potential in the metal object exceeds the dielectric breakdown of air. When this happens, it will result in arcing inside your microwave, from that metal to another electrical conductor with lower potential (often the wall of the microwave).

Unless you have a piece of metal kitchenware that specifically, outright tells you it's microwave safe, it's probably best to not microwave it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
It was a joke, you goons (try running it under hot water, you don't need to spend 45 bucks to scoop ice cream).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

phthalocyanine posted:

Arcing can occur whether or not the metal is touching the walls or top of the microwave depending on the shape and position of the metal, as it's caused by the metal reflecting the energy rather than absorbing it.

Unless you have a piece of metal kitchenware that specifically, outright tells you it's microwave safe, it's probably best to not microwave it.
Thanks for the info - I wasn't entirely informed, apparently :shobon:

On the other hand, I have a $10 microwave, and sometimes I really want to microwave some metal. While I don't make it a part of my daily life, I haven't had any problems with the occasional metal spoon in a glass of water or whatever.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

It was a joke, you goons (try running it under hot water, you don't need to spend 45 bucks to scoop ice cream).

You sure seem defensive for someone just making a joke.

Anyways, looking for good options for storing homemade chili, soup, etc.in the freezer and then being able to defrost overnight and microwave at work. I was looking into some of the Pyrex containers with matching plastic lids, but I've heard the quality has gone down as of late (no more borosilicate glass or something). I've thought about getting a few corningware mugs for the reheating and some cheap tupperware for the freezing, but it would be great if I could do it all in one (why clean two pieces when I can just clean one, etc.). Thoughts?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Metal also heats up like 1000*F per minute in a microwave.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

1redflag posted:

Mostly I'm a little taken aback; I assumed that the whole thing was common knowledge, so I posted something deliberately ridiculous, but apparently a lot of people don't know.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://gizmodo.com/what-actually-happens-when-you-put-metal-in-a-microwave-1569906393

You can put metal in a microwave, with some conditions

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
You actually can put metal in the microwave, but it absolutely can't touch anything that would ground it. My LG microwave actually has a metal rack that you can slide in, but it's careful to have big plastic holders that grab it and keep it from touching the sides. There are lots of warnings in the manual on how to properly insert it and keep it from touching the metal sides and grounding out.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

You actually can put metal in the microwave, but it absolutely can't touch anything that would ground it. My LG microwave actually has a metal rack that you can slide in, but it's careful to have big plastic holders that grab it and keep it from touching the sides. There are lots of warnings in the manual on how to properly insert it and keep it from touching the metal sides and grounding out.

How are you supposed to use those things? Or when is it better to use those things over the rotating bottom?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
No idea, I have never used mine. :) I guess it's useful if you're heating a lot of stuff up at once, like two big dishes full of food.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

1redflag posted:

Anyways, looking for good options for storing homemade chili, soup, etc.in the freezer and then being able to defrost overnight and microwave at work. I was looking into some of the Pyrex containers with matching plastic lids, but I've heard the quality has gone down as of late (no more borosilicate glass or something). I've thought about getting a few corningware mugs for the reheating and some cheap tupperware for the freezing, but it would be great if I could do it all in one (why clean two pieces when I can just clean one, etc.). Thoughts?

What part of your chili freezing/defrosting needs borosilicate glass containers exactly? And where would you even find any?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Amazon has borosilicate glass cookware made by Marinex.

In 1998 Corning licensed use of the Pyrex name in the American market to another company which used soda lime glass instead of borosilicate.

Pyrex is still made of borosilicate in other countries, but they police their license and Amazon will not ship UK Pyrex borosilicate glassware to the US.

Borosilicate is thermally stronger than soda lime glass, but soda lime is physically stronger (against bumps and drops)

That said,

US Pyrex is perfectly fine for going from the fridge to microwave.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, it's only worse for serious thermal shocks. Putting it in the fridge/freezer or the microwave is fine. Just don't pull it scorching hot out of the oven and drop it onto a cold wet dishtowel. You would be fine with either US Pyrex or with Corelle. Unless the cover options suck, I would go with Corelle because it's so much lighter.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think I remember reading something someone posted in this thread or another GWS thread about borosilicate glass having a finite number of heat cycles, something like the fatigue from the cycle of heating and cooling eventually culminates in the dish exploding in your oven. Does anyone know anything about that? Is that a false memory? Am I hallucinating?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Yes.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
My parents recently rearranged their kitchen and they now have about three to four feet of space to add a table along one wall that my mom wants to use for cooking. She really wants a stainless steel prep table but we haven't been able to find anything near our $150 limit locally. I've found a few tables online but I don't know enough about these restaurant supply websites or these table brands to be willing to buy one online. If they had more forgiving return policies I would just go for it, but I don't want to buy a flimsy table and be stuck with it.

Can anyone recommend a reliable restaurant supply site or reliable brand of stainless steel table?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
German IKEA has a table. But the availability may vary in your region.

http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/80059652/

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anybody have any suggestions to "adapt" non-magnetic pans for induction tops?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

krnhotwings posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions to "adapt" non-magnetic pans for induction tops?
Just get magnetic pans. Go to Goodwill

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

krnhotwings posted:

So they make these things, which are literally just metal disks you put on the induction top with your pan on top - the induction heats the disk, which then transfers the heat to your pan. Hooray? I agree with the above though, unless you have some very specific cookware you are trying to use, you could just spend the money on getting pans that work on an induction top in the first place.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, I guess it's about time for an upgrade. Seems more worthwhile to get new pans than use that induction disk. Will I be fine getting stainless clad cookware? Is Tramontina still the go-to best value set? I'm not sure if clad stuff makes any difference with induction tops.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are old clads which don't have a magnetic layer which won't work on induction. Most/all modern ones do. I just picked up this Cuisinart set which I am happy with.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
throw out your induction cooktop and put in gas, problem solved :)

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

throw out your induction cooktop and put in gas, problem solved :)
I wish I could.. It's extremely rare around my area to find a rented place with gas. But I'm hoping that induction will be better (probably will) than traditional electric coils 'cause gently caress that poo poo.

Also, I might just splurge and invest in a nice pot and pan instead of buying a whole set. I don't use the other pieces of my current set very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

krnhotwings posted:

Also, I might just splurge and invest in a nice pot and pan instead of buying a whole set. I don't use the other pieces of my current set very often.

So much truth in this post. Do this exactly.

• Locked thread