Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

17 and 18 are Bernard Baudry. Solid choice, if you like that sort of thing.
ETA and the 10 looks much in the same vein, though there's many producers.

2 is Egly-Ouriet?
4 appears to be Domaine Arlaud
13 is Alain Graillot
14 is Clos Fantine
19 is probably Huet

So, definitely go for 13 and 19. I've had 14 and it is weird as hell. I'm not sure that I like it, but it is definitely interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

17 and 18 are Bernard Baudry. Solid choice, if you like that sort of thing.
ETA and the 10 looks much in the same vein, though there's many producers.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

2 is Egly-Ouriet?
4 appears to be Domaine Arlaud
13 is Alain Graillot
14 is Clos Fantine
19 is probably Huet

So, definitely go for 13 and 19. I've had 14 and it is weird as hell. I'm not sure that I like it, but it is definitely interesting.

Brilliant, you guys are awesome.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

Stringent posted:

So a friend of mine has a hook up on a bunch of bottles from France (I'm in Japan) and I went in for 6. I know a lot of them are a little short on details (price for one), but I'm trying to get together an initial list to send him.

So far I'm thinking 1, 3, 7, 12, 14, 16 but I'd really appreciate any advice/recommendations any of you might have.

1. Champagne Grand Cru Ay Tradition Brut
  2. Champagne Premier Cru Vignes de Vrigny Brut
  3. Vosne Romanee
  4. Bourgogne Ronceive
  5. Nuits Saint Georges
  6. Bourgogne Vieilles Vignes Blanc
  7. Marsannay Blanc Vieilles Vignes
  8. Bourgogne La Combe Blanc (2012)
  9. St Aubin 1er Cru Les Murgers des Dents de Chien Blonc (2011)
  10. Moulin a Vent Fut de Chene
  11. Crozes Hermitage La Guiraude Rouge
  12. Saint Joseph Rouge
  13. Crozes Hermitage Cuvee Alberic Bouvet Rouge
  14. Faugeres Cuvee Courtiol
  15. Coteaux du Languedoc Pic St Loup Manon Blanc
  16. Coteaux du Languedoc Pic St Loup Orivette Rouge
  17. Chinon Les Granges
  18. Chinon La Croix Broisse
  19. Vouvray Le Clos du Bourg Moelleux

Seconding 19. 3 will be a crapshoot. Good chance of it being spectacular, good chance of it being poor. 9 too, though I'd happily take my chance on both. I would suggest avoiding 14-16 unless you know you like those wines. 13 is not Graillot, 11 is, and I would strongly recommend the latter over the former. You're probably going to have better luck with the village Burgs (3, 5, 7, 9) than the more general ones, but who knows. 17 and 18 are top-tier Chinon, although Chinon isn't everyone's thing...

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Kasumeat posted:

13 is not Graillot, 11 is, and I would strongly recommend the latter over the former. You're probably going to have better luck with the village Burgs (3, 5, 7, 9) than the more general ones, but who knows. 17 and 18 are top-tier Chinon, although Chinon isn't everyone's thing...

Oops. You're right. Got the two Crozes Hermitage numbers mixed up. Graillot is really good.

Kasumeat posted:

You're probably going to have better luck with the village Burgs (3, 5, 7, 9) than the more general ones, but who knows.

I would avoid the Burgs altogether without producers and vintages listed. Too big a chance to spend a lot of money on a dud IMO.

Kasumeat posted:

17 and 18 are top-tier Chinon, although Chinon isn't everyone's thing...

Absolutely worth a try unless Stringent already knows that he/she does not like Chinon.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Well, I sent the guy a tentative list for 1, 10, 11, 16, 18, and 19.

As far as whether I like Chinon or the Pic St Loup, I've never tried them, so I guess we'll see.

Thanks much for the information!

*edit* I have had (and liked) Saint Chinian Pin des Marguerite Lou Gabel, I assumed the Pic St Loup might be similar?

Stringent fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 18, 2014

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Baudry will be awesome :)
Or you won't like it, but then you'll know!

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
You passed on Egly Ouriet my friend. Big mistake.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Crimson posted:

You passed on Egly Ouriet my friend. Big mistake.

:)
If all goes well this will be a recurring thing so I'll get it next time.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Why don't people just talk about what they drink? I feel like there's not a lot of interesting wine prompted here.

Today we mostly had Loire wine, a chidaine red with Franc, cot, and pineau d'aunis, but also a beautiful bottle of pascal jolivet "attitude" cheverny blanc. Mostly I tricked my dad into ordering this crap but there we are. As long as I drink it...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I know I for one am self-conscious about not knowing much about wine, but fwiw I had a bottle of Cave de Vire Cremant de Bourgogne tonight. :)

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Stringent posted:

I know I for one am self-conscious about not knowing much about wine, but fwiw I had a bottle of Cave de Vire Cremant de Bourgogne tonight. :)

Same. I'm not that used to talking about wine since I'm sorta new to it and don't have that many friends who are into wine. Maybe posting in this thread will make me more comfortable about it, I'll try and make it more of a habit for my sake and to maybe liven up the thread a bit?

I'm going to take Overwined's advice and pick up some Gigondas tonight while I'm at Total Wine, looking at this list (set pickup/browse to Bellevue, WA) is there a fairly typical example that I should grab so I know p much what I should expect from the appellation if I'm expecting to drink it this weekend? Same deal with Lirac and Rasteau? Trying to hone in on my Grenache preference.

Also, I'm trying to figure out a way to create opportunities to drink my "medium" level wines that are building up in my collection. I've found quite a few "go to" sub $10-15 whites and sub $15-20 reds that I like drinking on normal occasions that fill most low-pressure "bring a bottle" sort of scenarios but as I buy more and more wine, I've noticed that I'm getting a buildup of $35-$60 wines that are really too fancy for things like Thursday night bbq or watching the Seahawks or GoT or whatever in mixed company, but not really the sort of thing I would break out for a special occasion treat on a birthday or anniversary. Is this a sign that I need to have more dinner parties?

On the same note, how pissed would a restaurant be if I brought like 3 bottles of wine? Is that a sign I should just host a dinner at my place if I have 3 bottles that I want to drink in 1 sitting?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Lirac is a good thing to taste if you want to experience the cooler-climate side of the Rhone spectrum. In fact, against Gigondas it'd be a nice contrast.

The best ways to drink your wines is to drink your wines. Who says drinking alone will make you an alcoholic. Whoever says that IMA FIGHT DEM!!!

The number one absolute rule with bringing wine to a restaurant is to call ahead. Try to talk to a manager and gauge how irritated they sound. It is 100% unacceptable to bring the same or very similar wine to one they have on the list. There are some notable exceptions regarding restaurants (some are VERY outside wine friendly and some the exact opposite). So again, call ahead.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

himajinga posted:

On the same note, how pissed would a restaurant be if I brought like 3 bottles of wine? Is that a sign I should just host a dinner at my place if I have 3 bottles that I want to drink in 1 sitting?

Like Overwined said, call ahead, each place has its own rules and some restaurants don't allow it at all. You may have to pay a corkage fee on each one. You still need to tip based on the service you're receiving. Etiquette suggests offering a partial glass of the wine to the somm or the chef. I generally tell people that unless it's really rare or really old, it's not worth taking your own to restaurants and is often rude.

A notable exception (legal here in TN, your mileage may vary) is for restaurants that don't sell wine or liquor but are fine with BYOB. Often this means BYOGAC (bring your own glassware and corkscrew). Or a brand new restaurant that does not have its liquor license will let you bring your own without a corkage fee for the first couple of weeks. My favorite way to do this is knowing the chef and working out a deal where you leave a glass or two leftover in each bottle for staff training (and refreshment) after the place closes. I've done this with some industry meals where we'd go through a mixed case and barely make a dent in each bottle. This method is favored by those who are not paying for the wine they are sampling. (We left 35 partial bottles at a Thai restaurant in Lodi a few months ago.)

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Well, I guess it's technically not drinking alone if my partner and I split a bottle or two while catching up on Breaking Bad. Sounds like it's time to plan some dinner parties :)

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

himajinga posted:

Also, I'm trying to figure out a way to create opportunities to drink my "medium" level wines that are building up in my collection. I've found quite a few "go to" sub $10-15 whites and sub $15-20 reds that I like drinking on normal occasions that fill most low-pressure "bring a bottle" sort of scenarios but as I buy more and more wine, I've noticed that I'm getting a buildup of $35-$60 wines that are really too fancy for things like Thursday night bbq or watching the Seahawks or GoT or whatever in mixed company, but not really the sort of thing I would break out for a special occasion treat on a birthday or anniversary. Is this a sign that I need to have more dinner parties?

I actually think that a Thursday night bbq or catching up on GoT is almost the perfect setting to drink the fancy stuff. I often save bottles for special occasions, and then the special occasion rolls round and I open the fancy thing, but because it's a special occasion I don't pay much attention to the wine and therefore miss some of the experience, or I zoom in on the wine and ignore whatever the occasion is. I prefer drinking expensive bottles with a burger and the TV and 1-2 people who will appreciate it than at a dinner party where it primarily ends up impressing (or not!) the guests. And this completely ignores the fact that by saving the thing up for some fancy occasion, you run the risk of souring the occasion itself by having wine that doesn't live up.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

himajinga posted:

Overwined posted:

The number one absolute rule with bringing wine to a restaurant is to call ahead. Try to talk to a manager and gauge how irritated they sound. It is 100% unacceptable to bring the same or very similar wine to one they have on the list. There are some notable exceptions regarding restaurants (some are VERY outside wine friendly and some the exact opposite). So again, call ahead.

benito posted:

Like Overwined said, call ahead, each place has its own rules and some restaurants don't allow it at all. You may have to pay a corkage fee on each one. You still need to tip based on the service you're receiving. Etiquette suggests offering a partial glass of the wine to the somm or the chef. I generally tell people that unless it's really rare or really old, it's not worth taking your own to restaurants and is often rude.

Check on the corkage policy, either on the website or by phone. If there is a stated corkage policy and you are acting within the bounds of that policy, then you should feel 100% percent comfortable about bringing wine. Be aware that you will have to either pay full wine-list price or won't be able to open a bottle if it's the same as one on the restaurant's wine list. Do your research (most restaurants have their lists online) and don't bring something they already have. As benito said, it's good practice to offer a pour for the somm or kitchen, though not necessary. If anyone at said restaurant acts irritated that you brought wine or suggests that you are rude for bringing it in spite of the corkage policy, that's shittiness of the highest order and you should not return. Overwined, I seriously hope you aren't suggesting that a manager's annoyance at getting corkage fees rather than a 200%+ markup on wine list bottles should ever influence one's decision to bring wine. "We allow you to bring wine and we'll charge you for it, but we're going to be dicks about it," should never be tolerated.

Himajinga, keep in mind that corkage usually runs in the $15 - $30 range for a mid-level restaurant. Are the wines you are opening really worth an extra $45 - $90 in corkage fees? Something to consider.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

No, I was more making a comment on how some (probably less than should be) price their wines well and painstakingly choose their list only to have someone bring Simi Cab to their restaurant.

But regarding your comments about pricing, I totally agree. I hate the system that's in place now. It's done nothing by breed in this smug sense of entitlement to otherwise inept and uncaring restaurant managers.

I work for a fine wine distribution house and I come across many instances of people bitching about wholesale prices who then turn around to mark the wine up 5x. It always seems to be the lazier clients who have little to no interest in building a good wine list.

To explain the mathematics to people, if you mark a $100 on a list wine up "normally" the winery will get about $17 of that, the distributor will get about $10, and the restaurant will get about $67. If you mark it up 5x, those numbers are more like $12/$7/$80 with the rest going to taxes and freight.

I would love to see total reform in this way, but I have no idea what it would look like. I do particularly like hybrid restaurants that have some retail there where you can pay retail prices for wine + a small corkage. And even though I rarely partake, I admire restaurants with lenient corkage policies. Some of my clients state they have a corkage publicly, but 9 times out of 10 they will waive it. They tell me it's only in place to keep people from bringing swill into their restaurants. And people will do that!

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Put together a rad dinner tonight with Whitcraft Winery. Drake Whitcraft donated a killer vertical of mid 90s Hirsch Pinot Noir, 94 out of a Jeroboam, and 95/96 out of magnum. Fun lineup of wines, and striking in how different they are. His winemaking style really reflects vintage/terroir and even clonal selection to an amazing degree.

Edit: oops, breakin tables.

Crimson fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 24, 2014

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

I'm sure most people here have a fairly dim view of Garagiste given his track record, but since I'm local I'll occasionally pick up WA wines I'm already familiar with through him and have had decent luck. I rolled the dice and got a mystery case from their garage sale the other day and feel pretty good about what I got v. what I paid, thought I'd post the list for those that are curious. If anyone's had any of these I'd love your impressions as they're all new to me.

2001 Domaine Lignier-Michelot Chambolle-Musigny Vieilles Vignes (Burgundy)
2004 Orlando Abrigo Barbaresco Vigna Montersino Nebbiolo (Piedmont)
2004 Malvira' Roero Superiore Mombeltramo Nebbiolo (Piedmont)
2005 Domaine Léon Boesch Riesling Breitenberg Vallée Noble (Alsace)
2005 Château Vieux Robin Médoc (Bordeaux)
2006 Domaine Des Hauts Chassis Crozes-Hermitage Les Galets (N. Rhone)
2007 Collovray & Terrier Mâcon-Villages Tradition (Burgundy)
2007 Celler Vall Llach Priorat Vall Llach (Priorat)
2008 Francesco Rinaldi e Figli Barolo Le Brunate (Piedmont)
2009 Casar de Burbia Bierzo Casar (Bierzo)
2011 Pian dell'Orino Rosso di Montalcino (Tuscany)
2011 Bünchen Riesling Spätlese (Mosel Saar Ruwer)

I drank the Chambolle-Musigny w/ neapolitan style pizza last night, it was awesome, smoky, earth, licorice, spices, a little barnyard-y at first, blew off after a while in the decanter. I was worried it was getting a little long in the tooth but it was great, right up my alley. I'm worried about the Chardonnay but the color looks good, so it's getting drank this weekend. Thoughts on if some of the others are coming due/past?

E: Crimson, that vertical looks awesome, I love some older Pinot.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 26, 2014

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I recently opened a should-have-been-nice bottle of unfiltered 2009 El Dorado syrah only to find out it was vinegar. It's been stored on its side in a closet in my home for the last two or three years in a relatively mildly temperatured area, ranging from about 65-70 degrees fahrenheit. Yes, I know this is too warm to store wine, but should this have caused this flaw or was this something that would have existed from bottling? Would it be inappropriate to go to the winemaker I bought it from at this point, or not?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

2009 Syrah should likely not be vinegar after only 5 years even at room temp. It's definitely not expected. And unfortunately it's not really appropriate to go back to the winemaker after a few years. Wine is an organic product and unpredictable things happen to it over time. We just sort of accept it as the cost of great enjoyment. There's likely nothing the winemaker did wrong, either.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Plenty of factors could have killed the Syrah, but I assume it was under cork? That chunk of bark has killed more decent wines that it has any right to.

For contrast, this 1996 Katnook bottle I was gifted by my boss on a "best of luck, it's probably dead" basis was surprising still very drinkable. Despite the cork totally self-destructing. I got my daily requirement of splinters yesterday!

Even the colour hadn't faded too badly. Somewhat porty nose, but still alive. A '94 opened today for a staff tasting was beyond saving, though.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Fair enough, and yeah it's under cork. Thanks.

I take it this is different from wine shops where I've been encouraged to bring back flawed bottles because the winemaker has no one to pass the cost on to (whereas the shop gives it back to the distributor), or is it some other reason?

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 29, 2014

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

It's because you left it in your closet for 3 years. Single day spikes in heat (or your closet being hotter than you think it is) could all ruin wine easily, and have it be your fault and nothing to do with the winemaker. Even if you bought the wine from a store, it's 3 years later. No store I know of encourages returns after that period!

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

I work in a winery, and we've been happy to replace bottles brought back directly to us, but it's a case-by-case basis when age is the factor. It's also a large (by New Zealand standards) company, whereas a tiny winery might be less likely to. Since we switched to screw caps back in '03, the rate of faults has dropped massively, of course. I've probably replaced 1 or 2 bottles each year for cracked or badly sealed screw caps, as opposed to the bottle each day I'd find corked in the tasting room.

But if someone turned up with a bottle that was 5 years old, it becomes hard to tell if it was faulty, or just fell over with age. I managed to keep a couple of bottles of our 2007 high-end red blend too long, and discovered it had gotten dull and faded by 2014. I have one left which I should open in case it was just bottle variation, but I suspect it'll be the same deal.

I did once have someone bring in a 10-year-old Cab/Merlot which he thought was oxidised. As he was a regular and a nice guy to boot, I replaced it with a new vintage and sent the bottle to our winemaker, who confirmed it was just old age that had killed it.

Wine stores will probably depend on the company policy. Big chain stores vs tiny independents will certainly have differing policies.

Looking online, it seems that oxidation is one of the more common wine faults, and can start right at the winery.

My worst wine fault I've experienced? A magnum of Pol Roger Champagne, both slightly cork tainted and heat damaged. Luckily there was several people at the staff dinner who'd had enough aperitifs to not notice, so myself and a French colleague let them share that, while we magnanimously shared a (perfect) reserve bottle of the same.

I love me some Pol.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Just got a job leading a wine sensory panel. I'm more of a beer guy but now I gotta become a wine guy... a challenge I look forward to :)

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Jerome Louis posted:

Just got a job leading a wine sensory panel. I'm more of a beer guy but now I gotta become a wine guy... a challenge I look forward to :)

Well, beer is nigh-near compulsory as a palate cleanser after a day of tasting wine.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

himajinga posted:

General corkage etiquette, at least that I try to stick to, is to never expect free corkage, always share tastes with the staff, and to generally try to purchase a bottle or two off their list depending on the size of the group. Oh, and do your server a favor and tip based (loosely) off the missing cost of the wine you brought - $20-30 corkage is not the same as a $70 bottle. I usually only bring wines to restaurants I frequent, and that in combination with the above typically gets my corkage comped.

If you have a larger group and you buy a couple bottles off the list I could see three bottles. Otherwise definitely expect to pay full corkage on all three bottles, or expect to possibly be turned down depending on restaurant policy. Calling ahead is def. a good plan.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Why don't people just talk about what they drink? I feel like there's not a lot of interesting wine prompted here.

Today we mostly had Loire wine, a chidaine red with Franc, cot, and pineau d'aunis, but also a beautiful bottle of pascal jolivet "attitude" cheverny blanc. Mostly I tricked my dad into ordering this crap but there we are. As long as I drink it...
I had a taste of that Chidaine at Heirloom Cafe the other day! It was pretty loving rad, really nice weight to it. Not heavy or ponderous, just really solid. Rest of the night was split between '99 Renaissance Cuvee Barrique and '01 Carema white label. I doubt many (if any) people have the Renaissance, but it is loving sick right now. Took about 30-45 minutes to get up to speed but once it had a little air it was off to the races. The Carema was good, too, but might've been better served by a decant. Also tasted a '94? '96? Clape (or maybe Chave? Night was getting fuzzy) that had been open for a few days; it was in a pretty interesting spot.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 12, 2014

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

idiotsavant posted:

General corkage etiquette, at least that I try to stick to, is to never expect free corkage, always share tastes with the staff, and to generally try to purchase a bottle or two off their list depending on the size of the group. Oh, and do your server a favor and tip based (loosely) off the missing cost of the wine you brought - $20-30 corkage is not the same as a $70 bottle. I usually only bring wines to restaurants I frequent, and that in combination with the above typically gets my corkage comped.

If you have a larger group and you buy a couple bottles off the list I could see three bottles. Otherwise definitely expect to pay full corkage on all three bottles, or expect to possibly be turned down depending on restaurant policy. Calling ahead is def. a good plan.

I had a schmuck come in tonight with 5 bottles. I approached the table and asked him all about preparing his wines, and if he was aware of our corkage policy. He cut me off and made an idiotic joke about not having to pay on one of them because it's a screw top. His party thought this was hilarious. He did not have a screw top wine. After the laughter died down he assured me he was aware of our policy. When he got the bill he flipped his poo poo about being charged, and let us know he's the GM of a nice hotel in the area. The manager comped all corkage, and I will never be caught dead in his property.

Do not be that guy, and I think you'll be fine.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Crimson posted:

Hahahaha whaaaaaaat. He's basically industry and pulling that kind of poo poo? gently caress that guy. What a stupid piece-of-poo poo move.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

Crimson posted:

I had a schmuck come in tonight with 5 bottles. I approached the table and asked him all about preparing his wines, and if he was aware of our corkage policy. He cut me off and made an idiotic joke about not having to pay on one of them because it's a screw top. His party thought this was hilarious. He did not have a screw top wine. After the laughter died down he assured me he was aware of our policy. When he got the bill he flipped his poo poo about being charged, and let us know he's the GM of a nice hotel in the area. The manager comped all corkage, and I will never be caught dead in his property.

Are you sure? It sounds like a good place to hold your next tasting group. I'm sure they'll be happy to take care of the corkage.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Crimson posted:

Jesus Christ.

I've just resolved to drink my mid-level wine more often at home which is about as foolproof a plan as I've ever heard, so far it's going great! ;)

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...

Distorted Kiwi posted:

I work in a winery, and we've been happy to replace bottles brought back directly to us, but it's a case-by-case basis when age is the factor. It's also a large (by New Zealand standards) company, whereas a tiny winery might be less likely to. Since we switched to screw caps back in '03, the rate of faults has dropped massively, of course. I've probably replaced 1 or 2 bottles each year for cracked or badly sealed screw caps, as opposed to the bottle each day I'd find corked in the tasting room.

But if someone turned up with a bottle that was 5 years old, it becomes hard to tell if it was faulty, or just fell over with age. I managed to keep a couple of bottles of our 2007 high-end red blend too long, and discovered it had gotten dull and faded by 2014. I have one left which I should open in case it was just bottle variation, but I suspect it'll be the same deal.

I did once have someone bring in a 10-year-old Cab/Merlot which he thought was oxidised. As he was a regular and a nice guy to boot, I replaced it with a new vintage and sent the bottle to our winemaker, who confirmed it was just old age that had killed it.

Wine stores will probably depend on the company policy. Big chain stores vs tiny independents will certainly have differing policies.

Looking online, it seems that oxidation is one of the more common wine faults, and can start right at the winery.

My worst wine fault I've experienced? A magnum of Pol Roger Champagne, both slightly cork tainted and heat damaged. Luckily there was several people at the staff dinner who'd had enough aperitifs to not notice, so myself and a French colleague let them share that, while we magnanimously shared a (perfect) reserve bottle of the same.

I love me some Pol.

What winery are you working for? Or the region, if you prefer? I'm finishing a vintage in the Russian River Valley in Sonoma right now.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Drunk some semi-sweet wine from Alsace last night, and it had a distinct aroma of old books.
Does this problem have a name ?

edit: not the same as corked wine, much much less offensive.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

What winery are you working for? Or the region, if you prefer? I'm finishing a vintage in the Russian River Valley in Sonoma right now.

At the risk of compromising my Net Anonymity, I'm at a large (by New Zealand standards) winery based in Auckland, with holdings all over the country. Not Villa Maria or Nobilos. First producer of kiwi Sauvignon Blanc, and no, that ain't Montana.

Biggest hint: Used to produce this 5-alarm fire of a Chardonnay:

(Fake edit: Aussie Shiraz+Auckland Port+busy day at cellar door=most typo-hunting I've had to do since I joined SA)

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Spatule posted:

Drunk some semi-sweet wine from Alsace last night, and it had a distinct aroma of old books.
Does this problem have a name ?

edit: not the same as corked wine, much much less offensive.

Does actually sounds like mild cork taint, which gets the "wet cardboard" or "musty old book" descriptor from a lot of writers.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i was lucky enough to go to the battane+dessauve experience in london for free through my grad school.

some truly exceptional wines on display, although almost all of the whites were disappointing.

the best wine (according to not only myself), however, was the voerzio roberto langhe nebbiolo . It was far superior to the barbera and barolo varietals from the same winery (even an 05 vintage barolo). This is also not an expensive wine. I'd highly recommend it.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
So we're getting in the swing of things for our sensory panel, one of the things I've been needing to focus on is experiencing a wide range of different sensories in wines. I'm very familiar with the beer world and the sensories there but in wine it's a new thing for me, and since I'll be leading the panel, I really need to learn my poo poo ASAP. Part of that effort in learning is to sample as many different wines as possible encompassing the entire range of sensories, and if possible find reference standards for those sensories that we can use for the panel itself.

Since I know there are goons here who know their poo poo I wanted to ask for your assistance. Does anyone have any suggestions for wines that exemplify any of these sensory clusters:

-Citrus (grapefruit, lemon/lime, orange, mandarin, tangerine, etc.)
-Tropical fruit (pineapple, melon, banana, mango, lychee, kiwi)
-White Floral (Jasmine, Gardenia, Orange Blossom, Honeysuckle, lilac)
-Fresh Green Veg (Stemmy, Cut grass, Ivy, Bell Pepper, Jalapeno)
-Cooked Veg
-Eucalyptus/Mint
-Herbaceous/Dried (dried herbs, hat, straw, tea)
-Brown Spice (Clove, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice)
-Black Spice (Licorice, anise, black pepper)
-Resinous (Pine, fir, sap, pitch, fresh rosemary)
-Wood shavings
-Butter/Cream
-Chemical (references for this would be great! Sulfides, Petroleum, Band-aid, Wet paper/cardboard)
-Earthy (soil, earth, mushroomn
-Moldy
-Mineral (very helpful to have a reference here!)
-Any kind of mouthfeel extremes, i.e. extremely burning, astringent, rough on the mouth, extremely viscous, anything that coats the mouth very well, chalky or oily/greasy would be great)

That's a lot of stuff I know but if there is anything off the top of your head that you've had recently that you thought "Woah that is all clove/cinnamon" or anything like that for the sensories posted above (or not posted above), it would be great to know so I can go get some so I can try it for myself. I'm kind of getting a crash course in wine in a short amount of time, and I can't drink through the wine world in only a few weeks... no matter how much I may try. Any of your help or guidance would be truly appreciated and in a few months here I'll hopefully be able to post some interesting sensory stuff in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Just generally speaking based on my experiences:
-White Floral - it might be hard to find but I recall a Hungarian grape called Zeta made very floral wines, otherwise a muscat blanc

-Eucalyptus/Mint - any red from the Clare Valley

-Resinous - retsina

-Chemical - it might be easier to adulterate some generic wines with the chemicals for this, it is quite common to do this for sensory training because tainted wines often don't make it to market.

-Moldy - you can sometimes pick this character up in cheap botrytised wines
-Mineral - Pikes 'The Merle' Clare Valley Riesling
-Any kind of mouthfeel extremes - again, this is probably easiest to do by adding tannin or something a generic wine