Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inspector_666 posted:

Isn't there a federal body going after these people? The FTC or something?

It only took, what, 4 years of the car warranty scammers literally war-dialing every single number in America over and over again to actually do something about it, right?

They'll be taking action any day now. I've heard that there are top men on it. Top men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

flosofl posted:

But yours is way edgier and more counter-culture, so there's that.

capitalism is bad

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That would be a fun lawsuit. Well you see, your honor, after I illegally installed malware on her computer, she agreed to let me remove it for her. Ipso facto, quid pro quo, quod erat demonstratum, I want the 200 dollars I scammed her out of back.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Farecoal posted:

capitalism is bad
If my post was edgy and counter-culture, this is sure to send him into an apoplectic fit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

If my post was edgy and counter-culture, this is sure to send him into an apoplectic fit.

YOU drat HIPPIES!

e: haven't been able to sleep more than 2 hours straight without phone going off (on call this weekend), so I'm a bit of a prick this weekend. Sorry about that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

The federal government would never deign to impair free market capitalism in the form of these brave entrepreneurs.

Volmarias posted:

It only took, what, 4 years of the car warranty scammers literally war-dialing every single number in America over and over again to actually do something about it, right?

They'll be taking action any day now. I've heard that there are top men on it. Top men.

Oh look at that.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

OWLS! posted:

My boss is literally Dilbert as gently caress about twenty years down the line.

Long since dead from heart failure?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Trying to bribe people with SSDs to write his homework essays?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Oh wow, a CASH settlement! So basically, IF you're caught after performing numerous counts of fraud, you give up the money you stole and pay a small fine. Otherwise, you keep all of it.

Those scammers SURE learned their lessons, I'm sure. Just like the bankers!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
So there's a whole-building fire system testing all weekend where our HQ is. The notice was sent out to all staff that the power would be out most of Saturday and part of today, as well as constant triggering of alarm systems. When the alarms are activated on a floor AC will also shut down so the server room needs to be taken offline during the event. The building owners specified that no tenants are to be onsite during the testing.

And today there's a C-level executive and a senior VP who are pissed off because they have planned a whole day's work with their staff and everything's down. Who the gently caress plans to work during the weekend when the goddamn power will be up and down along with the systems? I have to go in now to get everything turned back up knowing full well that between now and 4pm it will all be getting shut off again at least twice.

EDIT: And now one of the staff is arguing with me over email because the testing ended early despite what the notice from the building said. The SVP has asked that I stay onsite for the next test so if it concludes early I can have all the systems ready should someone want to come in to work.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

So there's a whole-building fire system testing all weekend where our HQ is. The notice was sent out to all staff that the power would be out most of Saturday and part of today, as well as constant triggering of alarm systems. When the alarms are activated on a floor AC will also shut down so the server room needs to be taken offline during the event. The building owners specified that no tenants are to be onsite during the testing.

And today there's a C-level executive and a senior VP who are pissed off because they have planned a whole day's work with their staff and everything's down. Who the gently caress plans to work during the weekend when the goddamn power will be up and down along with the systems? I have to go in now to get everything turned back up knowing full well that between now and 4pm it will all be getting shut off again at least twice.

EDIT: And now one of the staff is arguing with me over email because the testing ended early despite what the notice from the building said. The SVP has asked that I stay onsite for the next test so if it concludes early I can have all the systems ready should someone want to come in to work.

Tell them no. To goddamn everything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My poor server room was baking. The dedicated A/C didn't come back on after the last shutdown so I had to delay turning everything up for the idiots. Once it got down to around 78 I gave it a shot. Unfortunately the VP/Controller complained to the CEO who sent me an email reminding me that back in April they specified that the phone system was never supposed to be down for any reason, ever. Since the fire testing ended two hours early and the phone system was not available at that time I failed to hold up my end. He thinks I should've been here the whole time, cooking in my office waiting for the off-chance that things should wrap up early.

I didn't reply because there's no point. They stopped listening a long time ago.

That said it was nice to see all systems boot up smoothly. I built them a really nice setup that outside of the router problem back in the Spring has been extremely reliable, especially compared to a place like Tony's where the email could be down for up to three days at a time. I'm looking forward to what skills I have left being put to work somewhere where I'm not treated like the enemy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of our service manager people pulled us into a meeting after a customers on-site mail server poo poo the bed and they lost email access for half a day, and asked what we were going to do to ensure it never happened again. Answering "have more than one of something" wasn't the correct answer.

I've given up trying to explain to people how you can't guarantee uptimes, only work towards them.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

One of our service manager people pulled us into a meeting after a customers on-site mail server poo poo the bed and they lost email access for half a day, and asked what we were going to do to ensure it never happened again. Answering "have more than one of something" wasn't the correct answer.

I've given up trying to explain to people how you can't guarantee uptimes, only work towards them.

It's the 20-10s the answer is always ~~:yayclod:~~

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thanks Ants posted:

Next time they ask, just flip the table, scream while beating your chest and then shout "THIS IS HOW STUPID YOU LOOK".

Then report back, ta.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I have a 3rd party based on site who want broadband

I work in a secure environment its not just a case of patch it about the site, even if it was possible, there would be a cost in doing so to consider (fibre converters etc, the place is huge)

The 3rd party are moaning to their contact in my company where is there broadband, therefore said contact is moaning at me

I've already asked the first time round who is paying for it and I think the contact is assuming we will. We already provide them with 2 lines and we only need to provide them with 1 (contractual agreement) plus if we install this line we will be installing additional data points, who is paying for that??

My impression is the contact here thinks she has a bit more authority than she realises and I'm about to put the thought in the finance managers head that this is a bad idea.

I like fighting with stupid senior management (well when I'm going to win anyway...:))

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

My poor server room was baking. The dedicated A/C didn't come back on after the last shutdown so I had to delay turning everything up for the idiots. Once it got down to around 78 I gave it a shot. Unfortunately the VP/Controller complained to the CEO who sent me an email reminding me that back in April they specified that the phone system was never supposed to be down for any reason, ever. Since the fire testing ended two hours early and the phone system was not available at that time I failed to hold up my end. He thinks I should've been here the whole time, cooking in my office waiting for the off-chance that things should wrap up early.

I didn't reply because there's no point. They stopped listening a long time ago.

That said it was nice to see all systems boot up smoothly. I built them a really nice setup that outside of the router problem back in the Spring has been extremely reliable, especially compared to a place like Tony's where the email could be down for up to three days at a time. I'm looking forward to what skills I have left being put to work somewhere where I'm not treated like the enemy.

DT, it's time to burn out in style. Call them on their bullshit - every last one of them - and point out that their poo poo stinks just like everyone else's. You are not required to lay there and get beat like an abused dog, then come back with your tail between your legs. Tell them to piss off until they actually know what the gently caress they're talking about rather than spew so much hot air. Remind them that they are a tenant, and the building owner gets to make decisions about their property, and if the people complaining are unable to comprehend written directives then they need to go back to elementary school for a refresher.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

DT, it's time to burn out in style. Call them on their bullshit - every last one of them - and point out that their poo poo stinks just like everyone else's. You are not required to lay there and get beat like an abused dog, then come back with your tail between your legs. Tell them to piss off until they actually know what the gently caress they're talking about rather than spew so much hot air. Remind them that they are a tenant, and the building owner gets to make decisions about their property, and if the people complaining are unable to comprehend written directives then they need to go back to elementary school for a refresher.

...and then fight to collect unemployment when they fire him for insubordination. Yes, He will win, but will he have enough saved up to not be out on the streets till then?

The only real winning move here is not to play. (or go play somewhere else.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't really feel beat down anymore because it stopped being a place I wanted to be. I'm disappointed that what could've been a great opportunity didn't pan out and that once again I have a bunch of boobs for bosses.

I look back at the person that replaced me at my last I.T. Director job and he's still there. My staff said he was a worthless shitheel that did literally no work and over ten years later he's still there. Tony has been I.T. Director at the last place for something like twelve years.

It frustrates me that I haven't felt at home in a job since that Director position so long ago. I've felt like the people I report to have made it a point to emphasize how disposable I am despite always getting solid performance reviews, bonuses, etc. I've never had an actual write up, never been fired but drat, I haven't felt valued in ages.

So that's really what I'm looking for. I'm old now and with having to start supporting my parents I really can't throw this job away until I have another. It took me two years last time, I have to plan on that being possible which means looking for ways to not lose this job until I'm ready. Until then I'm working really hard to not give a drat. It's important to me to not take any emotional punishment from this nonsense.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yep, very sensible to keep getting paid while you look.

And there's advantages to not caring about the present place while you do.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Looks like there's some IT job openings in the Chicago area!

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2014/09/28/chicago-airports-trying-to-resume-normal-flights

quote:

Chicago airport delays ongoing as FAA replaces computer network at sabotaged control center

CHICAGO (AP) — The Federal Aviation Administration says it's replacing the entire central computer network at a Chicago-area control center where an act of sabotage brought the city's two international airports to a halt.

The Chicago Department of Aviation says 500 flights were canceled at O'Hare and 50 at Midway on Sunday, though the FAA expects improvements on Monday.

The agency says it's also improving direct communications between other facilities now handling Chicago's air traffic.

At the height of the travel misery Friday, more than 2,000 flights in and out of the airports were canceled, disrupting travel nationwide.

Authorities say a contract employee started a fire in the basement telecommunications room of a regional control center in suburban Aurora and then attempted to commit suicide.

Thirty-six-year-old Brian Howard of Naperville faces felony charges.

What that article doesn't say but what I just heard on the morning news was the guy was their contract sysadmin, and took out 23 of 29 racks in the server room, through cutting wires, dumping water, setting things on fire and bleeding on them. It's going to take them two weeks to replace everything.

Hope they had good backups. :psyduck:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

What that article doesn't say but what I just heard on the morning news was the guy was their contract sysadmin, and took out 23 of 29 racks in the server room, through cutting wires, dumping water, setting things on fire and bleeding on them. It's going to take them two weeks to replace everything.

Hope they had good backups. :psyduck:

Jesus. You don't have to literally burn your bridges.

Looks like jail time for that admin. :geno:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

HR have organized an employee deal where staff can buy iphones, ipads and laptops for a not very good discount. Fine, nothing to do with us. Except a whole bunch of staff asked for them to be delivered to head office and HR told us to store them in the server room (the only large secure room on site) until they're picked up. My manager OKd this.

Now we have a bunch of peoples' personal belongings cluttering up our server room. Some of these have been sitting there for a month or more. Why would you ask for a package to be delivered to an office you never visit? Why would you wait so long to pick up your new stuff (especially as these are mostly low earners and expensive toys)? At least one item belongs to someone who says they've collected what they ordered and of course we'll get blamed when something isn't there that should be.

Most of these people don't have company phones or email and we're now doing detective work trying to find out who and where they are.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

...somewhere where I'm not treated like the enemy.

Time to start trolling - ask the 4 managers to agree a date for performance management between them and request that the 4 of them do it together as this would be better for the business as you would only be putting the phone system at risk for one meeting's worth of time rather than four. After all if they are being unreasonble nothing is more fun than letting them deal with the fallout from their decisions. You on the other hand are trying to minimise the impact and being overly reasonable - remember to copy the CEO or whoever came up with the stupid phone directive so he can see how helpful you are.

Sit back watch managers fight over who gets to decide the date.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Our VP just sent out an email saying that although the main office has had x policy in place for two years, we're not doing it. We're like PILOTS and need to be alert and have zero alcohol in our systems while we work.

:rolleyes:

Goons, I need someone to stop me from asking when we'll have maximum hours worked per day at 9 like pilots. I'm so tempted. Must not show sarcasm...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So they're saying you should unionize?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

meanieface posted:

Our VP just sent out an email saying that although the main office has had x policy in place for two years, we're not doing it. We're like PILOTS and need to be alert and have zero alcohol in our systems while we work.

:rolleyes:

Goons, I need someone to stop me from asking when we'll have maximum hours worked per day at 9 like pilots. I'm so tempted. Must not show sarcasm...

Lock your office door, put on headphones, and stare out the window.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Volmarias posted:

Don't even need to do that. VW sells the list of those who got financing for a car to these people who then try to sell you an extended warranty... on a car that is a lease and under 2 years old.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
A Sql error came in and... I went to go check and it's not sql. As soon as I sat down I saw both monitors plastered with crypto wall notifications

Fortunately, it appears that only the local machine was affected

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 29, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
At 2:30: "These tests need to be done by 3:30, no exceptions".

"These tests usually take a couple of hours, but i'll try. Can I at least come off the phones for a bit then?"

"Nope, you have to stay on the phones, we're short staffed".

Oh look at that, it's almost half 3 and i've only done 6 of the tests because my clients rang in with tickets for me to do. Sorry man, don't let two thirds of the team go on holiday at once during a busy period next time.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

meanieface posted:

We're like PILOTS

Eject! Eject! Eject!

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 29, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I hate headhunters.

quote:

Hi Anthony

I am working on a search for several job openings ranging from entry level on up, these positions are in medical, electro-mechanical industries specifically but I also have one position for a field service technician for a windows and doors distributor.

Why should someone be interested in this opportunity?

If any of these positions interest you or you know someone who might be interested, please respond to this email or give me a call at (503) xxx-xxxx
:catstare:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

anthonypants posted:

I hate headhunters.
:catstare:

Really. Why SHOULD someone be interested in that opportunity?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Never heard of doors, is it some kind of embedded OS?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I used to work at a place that uses a program called "Doors" to manage the key-card access system. It was pretty niche, but I imagine knowing the program will might pay decently enough. It ran on Windows servers, so :shrug:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Does anyone here have any experience of Kronos (the staff rostering tool on the off chance there is more than one!)

It is causing political debate in my company and therefore mysterious questions landing in my inbox.

We use Kronos to give people their shift patterns, we then took over another site who let the staff pick their own shift patterns. The boss of new site is committed to allowing this practice to continue

But because our existing sites have a rostering department to arrange everyone's shifts, we didn't buy licenses for staff to log onto the system and view their shifts because someone decided it was unnecessary (presumably)

On top of all this, let's call the guy Director of Rostering manages Kronos for our company, he is no way IT literate but because Kronos is his baby he is not really letting anyone explore the options (as far as I understand)

So my question to anyone who knows how Kronos works is if we buy these licenses for staff that are apparently available would Kronos be able to facilitate a system where we say 'staff member x - go to PC, tell us when you want work, tell us when you want rest, tell us when you want leave and it shall be so,' (within reason)

If this is a derail from the topic I would be more than happy to take this to pm should anyone know what I'm talking about :)

mewse
May 2, 2006

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Eject! Eject! Eject!

Sysadmin bravely navigating an outage:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Network admins won't let me login to a linux server on our network to update bash, because it's vendor managed. I don't think they've even contacted the vendor yet. "It's not on the internet so it's not as big a deal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mewse posted:

Network admins won't let me login to a linux server on our network to update bash, because it's vendor managed. I don't think they've even contacted the vendor yet. "It's not on the internet so it's not as big a deal"

This is actually true. If it's not exposed to the internet or not running CGI (or, not and -- it doesn't matter if it's running CGI inside your network unless you expect people to try to break a vendor appliance internally), it's not a big deal.