Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

Well Ade did get dropped from both NiN and KC in 2014 so he would have some right to be unhappy since he'd basically cleared his work calendar for something like a 16 months period to tour with Trent, and then not to be asked back to the KC tour... hence the Crimson Project extended tour and now the ABPT tour. Man's gotta pay bills.

ABPT rules in concert. I'd like to see this Crimson lineup for the novelty of it, but dollar for dollar and given the relative sizes of the venues they play in, I'd pick ABPT any day.

By the same calculus, I'm sure Ade would take the NIN summer shed/King Crimson theater gate any day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I recall when the Disciple rehearsals started in 81, Fripp had some lyric sheets, but after a few days Fripp and Belew came to an agreement that if Adrian was going to sing, it was going to be thru words that he wrote. I feel that's an explicit agreement still being upheld today. "Ade's not here, so we won't sing his words" where as with Sinfeld's words there was no question that there would be a revolving door of vocalists.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Based on an interview with Tony Levin, I grabbed a copy of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's debut album 'Grand Opening and Grand Closing' and it is amazing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

Based on an interview with Tony Levin, I grabbed a copy of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's debut album 'Grand Opening and Grand Closing' and it is amazing.

I think their second album is better and the third album rules too. SGM was a great band.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BigFactory posted:

I think their second album is better and the third album rules too. SGM was a great band.
Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi still play together, and just last month released what's basically a SGM reunion track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlKjpLa8KCw

Rabbit Rabbit is kind of the Kayo Dot to SGM's maudlin of the Well, I guess.

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Rabbit Rabbit is kind of the Kayo Dot to SGM's maudlin of the Well, I guess.

Speaking of Kayo Dot, they've just released the opening track of their new album. It sounds unlike anything they've recorded before.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Mellomeh posted:

Speaking of Kayo Dot, they've just released the opening track of their new album. It sounds unlike anything they've recorded before.

Thanks for sharing - that track was amazing and I went straight to The Flenser's store to order the LP. If none of their previous work sounds like that song, what bands do? I want more!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

BigFactory posted:

ABPT rules in concert. I'd like to see this Crimson lineup for the novelty of it, but dollar for dollar and given the relative sizes of the venues they play in, I'd pick ABPT any day.

By the same calculus, I'm sure Ade would take the NIN summer shed/King Crimson theater gate any day!

King Crimson is coming nowhere near me on this tour, but ABPT will be here in December so I guess that is a decent tradeoff!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Possibly Chicken posted:

King Crimson is coming nowhere near me on this tour, but ABPT will be here in December so I guess that is a decent tradeoff!

They're really good and there's definitely a good chance to meet the band before or after the show.

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Thanks for sharing - that track was amazing and I went straight to The Flenser's store to order the LP. If none of their previous work sounds like that song, what bands do? I want more!

I'm not so familiar with this particular subgenre of prog so I don't know about other bands, but it’s worth looking into Kayo Dot and maudlin of the Well’s back catalogues anyway. It's probably best to start with Kayo Dot's first album Choirs of the Eye and work forwards from there, and to work backwards from maudlin of the Well's final album Part the Second.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

BigFactory posted:

They're really good and there's definitely a good chance to meet the band before or after the show.

Also a Stick Men tour is in the next couple months in the U.S.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

Also a Stick Men tour is in the next couple months in the U.S.

Are they any good? I went to a Tony Levin Band show once, and it was fine (actually really good cause Kaki King was the opener and I had never heard her before), but Tony's songwriting runs the gamut of super cheesy to holy poo poo this is super cheesy.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Are they any good? I went to a Tony Levin Band show once, and it was fine (actually really good cause Kaki King was the opener and I had never heard her before), but Tony's songwriting runs the gamut of super cheesy to holy poo poo this is super cheesy.

At this point I'm going to see three almost-friends play. After the last Niagara Falls show we ended up drinking with them in the bar for a few hours. Tony had a veggieburger.

Pics exist.

I tipped the guitarist they had playing to perform 'In Your Eyes' and she had no idea it was TL sitting 5 feet away.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

BigFactory posted:

Even when Stick Men get into cheese territory it's goofy fun prog compositions, like "Supercollider" which has tony doing elephant talk-esqe rambling vocals about atom smashing.

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah

Possibly Chicken posted:

ABPT is in LA in november, Crimson tonight though. Should be a fun show, I found tickets for $50 on craigslist in the middle of the balcony.
E: Phone-quality recording of Red:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Rub4K8cBAw

Y2J fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 2, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/celebrity-news/phil-collins-genesis-reunion-might-4348448

Genesis is teasing a 5 man reunion again. I've learned not to get my hopes up. Been burned too many times. I won't take it seriously until Peter Gabriel says something affirmative. It's become clear to me that 4 of them will pretty much all do it at the drop of a hat as long as Pete's on board. But Pete never is... :(

I blame Tony and Pete. They've tried the five man reunion a few times, and they probably tried working on new material but I'm guessing he and Tony just don't work well together anymore. Tony and Pete were always at odds creatively, and Tony doesn't like others playing any sort of keyboard instrument. He's a keyboard dictator. I think that's one of the main reasons Peter left the band in the first place, and now, in his solo stuff, keyboards is Peter's main instrument. I doubt he'll just want to give that up just because Tony's a keyboard control freak. But who knows, maybe they've matured with age and will be able to work past that. I also doubt that Genesis will want to tour again without recording a new album. Still, here's hoping they can do something.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

Tony and Pete were always at odds creatively, and Tony doesn't like others playing any sort of keyboard instrument. He's a keyboard dictator. I think that's one of the main reasons Peter left the band in the first place, and now, in his solo stuff, keyboards is Peter's main instrument..

Is there some good backstory on this to read somewhere? I watched a Genesis documentary a while back, and it was made pretty clear that the reason for Peter leaving was creative tension between him and Tony, but it was more framed such that Tony wanted to go in a more commercial pop/ballad oriented direction while Peter wanted to keep doing weird art prog music with costumes etc. and make it even more theatrical. Didn't realize it was because Peter wanted to play some keyboards! As a keyboardist I find that kind of funny because it is historically considered one of the least glorious positions in a rock band.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Earwicker posted:

Is there some good backstory on this to read somewhere? I watched a Genesis documentary a while back, and it was made pretty clear that the reason for Peter leaving was creative tension between him and Tony, but it was more framed such that Tony wanted to go in a more commercial pop/ballad oriented direction while Peter wanted to keep doing weird art prog music with costumes etc. and make it even more theatrical. Didn't realize it was because Peter wanted to play some keyboards! As a keyboardist I find that kind of funny because it is historically considered one of the least glorious positions in a rock band.

I've based this on the interviews from the genesis remix box set. I think they're all up on youtube. Tony wanting to go in a more commercial/pop direction in 1975 is not true at all. If anything, Tony was into the proggy symphonic stuff more than any of them. Based on those interviews, he also considered Steve Hackett to be his biggest ally in this regard (which kind of went against the popular notion that Tony forced Hackett out of the band). That being said, Tony was always the most dominant presence musically in the band, and if there was ever a leader of Genesis, he's it. I think he had the most veto power when it came to which ideas made it to the records and which ideas didn't. Hackett had a lot of great ideas that didn't make it (if you listen to his solo albums from the time). The cutting of the majority of the material of the stuff that would eventually appear on "Please Don't Touch" was the final straw for him, I think (Hackett got the Hatchet, lol). It's a shame because if he had stayed for one more year, he would have had time for his solo projects and still would have been able to remain in Genesis since the rest of the band all took time out for solo albums in 1979 while Collins was trying to save his marriage.

Gabriel leaving had more to do with him butting heads with Tony. I think, when the band started, Anthony Phillips was the leader, with Tony, Mike and Peter being on equal footing. But after Anthony Phillips left that balance was disturbed and the three of them, though they had been close friends since they were children, had difficulty adjusting. Mike Rutherford tended to side more Tony, and Peter isolated himself more with his weird ideas and his increasingly flamboyant costumes that the rest of the band often didn't agree with. Phil and Steve were junior members and didn't really have much clout early on. Steve had some great songwriting ideas from the get go, but he had to fight for them. Phil's talents lay more in his drumming and vocals, he didn't really blossom as a songwriter until well after Peter left. I'm not sure how they fit into the politics of Genesis. Perhaps Steve tended to side with Peter and Phil tended side with Mike and Tony, but it probably wasn't that simple. They were all talented songwriters with great ideas trying to compete for time on a relatively short record running time. Creative differences were inevitable.

There were several reasons why Peter Gabriel left in 1975. The biggest reason was probably because of his family. His wife had a very difficult childbirth and his daughter had nearly died. He wanted to spend time with them (he was the first Genesis member to have a family). He didn't want to tour every year anymore. If you notice Peter Gabriel didn't do anything in the music business for about two years after he left Genesis. He just spent time with his family. The parting with Genesis was amicable, though. He decided to leave after The Lamb was recorded but agreed to do the tour. He and Tony, though they fought quite a bit, had been close friends since childhood, and all their fights were over the music never personal. As far as I know, there were never any personal differences in Genesis. I would love to see what these guys could come up with today.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 8, 2014

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Has Peter ever done any Genesis material live after he left the band? I know it'd be difficult to do a full concert with one solo album's worth of material.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

Has Peter ever done any Genesis material live after he left the band? I know it'd be difficult to do a full concert with one solo album's worth of material.

He's done stuff from The Lamb on some of his early tours. Then there was the Milton Keynes reunion in 1982 where he performed a whole show with Genesis. A bootleg of it is up on youtube, and it starts off pretty rough but gets better as it goes on. It was a last minute reunion, sort of thrown together to save Peter Gabriel's WOMAD project from bankruptcy. Peter has admitted that they were under rehearsed and recordings of the concert were never officially released to the public. He appeared in one concert with Steve Hackett in 1983 and performed a surprise performance of I Know What I Like. But after that, he was done with Genesis material in live shows.

But more recently he's warmed to the idea of revisiting Genesis. On the last tour he rehearsed bits of Supper's Ready with his band but didn't actually perform any of it live. His reason? Not enough time to rehearse and get it right. He gave the same excuse when Trey Anastasio approached him and asked if he would sing the vocals for Phish's Halloween show where they would don the musical costume of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". This leads me to believe that he's not opposed to performing Genesis music. But he's afraid of not being able to pull it off the way he wants to. The guy's a perfectionist. It takes him ages to a complete a project nowadays. It's a shame, it would be awesome seeing his band play Supper's ready. Tony Levin would rock the gently caress out of that song. And Phish playing the Lamb with Peter on vocals? Dream come true for me personally.

Then there was the 1998-99 "reunion". The 1998 archive box set has a lot of Peter Gabriel vocal overdubs over live stuff that was recorded in 1975 and 1973 (you can tell because his voice has matured considerably in the ensuing years, but if you ask me, I think sounds better in a lot of ways). Plus there's a whole new studio version of "it." which was recorded in 1998. Additionally there's Carpet Crawlers 1999 which was released on "Turn it on Again: The Hits". Fun fact: it was originally supposed to feature Ray Wilson recording the "porcelain mannequin" verse, but his departure from the band didn't end amicably so that verse is not in the 1999 version of the song. As far as I know, Carpet Crawlers 1999 is the last studio recording Genesis completed. It's kind of fitting that the last recording was with the 5 man lineup and that it was an old classic like Carpet Crawlers.

One of the things they'd have to do if they ever did a Genesis reunion tour is drop the key on a lot of songs to suit Peter's voice. This is something they probably should have done even when he was in the band in the early 70s. They often had him singing at the very top of his range and he was often struggling to hit the notes. It's most apparent at the end of Supper's Ready (one of the songs that they did actually have to drop the key as early as 1973). Phil, who has a higher voice naturally, could hit the higher notes more easily so he had an easier time with it when he took over the vocals. But even he had to stick with the dropped key on Supper's Ready, and on the 1986-87 tour even had to start dropping keys on songs that he had recorded a year prior. By the 2007 tour, nearly every song had dropped keys.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 18, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Heads up for British Genegoons: 90min documentary on Genesis, band and members, aired on BBC2 tonight:

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/202...r=#.VDADNvldU5k

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Heads up for British Genegoons: 90min documentary on Genesis, band and members, aired on BBC2 tonight:

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/202...r=#.VDADNvldU5k

Wish there was a way to watch it here. I think it airs on Showtime October 10th.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

In a radio interview this week Banks, Rutherford and Collins said no reunion due to Collins's inability to play drums. That sounds true for the 3 and 5 member versions. In a 3 member version Collins could sing and Thompson could drum but in a 5-member version playing PG-era material Collins would have nothing to do as he can't play and there are only a couple of songs he sang lead vocals on. Bank and Rutherford seem not entirely to rule out the possibility but obviously being loyal to Collins, they can't go ahead without him. So, short version: 3-member version (plus Sturmer and Thompson) possible but unlikely; 5-member version virtually impossible.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

In a radio interview this week Banks, Rutherford and Collins said no reunion due to Collins's inability to play drums. That sounds true for the 3 and 5 member versions. In a 3 member version Collins could sing and Thompson could drum but in a 5-member version playing PG-era material Collins would have nothing to do as he can't play and there are only a couple of songs he sang lead vocals on. Bank and Rutherford seem not entirely to rule out the possibility but obviously being loyal to Collins, they can't go ahead without him. So, short version: 3-member version (plus Sturmer and Thompson) possible but unlikely; 5-member version virtually impossible.

I wish they didn't take such a narrow view. It's not like those are the only two options. They can still record an album with Chester or someone else on drums. Collins and Gabriel can share vocal lead duties in concert. There was also an awful lot of harmony that they shared on the early material, and a lot of the collins era songs can be adapted to have vocal harmony. It's not like Collins only knows how to play one instrument either (although with his hand injury other instruments like piano might be even more difficult). I wish they would just write new music and worry about how to perform it later. These guys were always songwriters first and foremost.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 4, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Unfortunately if Phil doesn't play drums his only other realistic option is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g78ziuc55x4

oh no

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I loving love Against All Odds.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

Unfortunately if Phil doesn't play drums his only other realistic option is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g78ziuc55x4

oh no

Tony Banks would throw a fit. Both Peter and Phil playing Keyboards in his band? NEVER!

I'm surprised he can play piano at all after his wrist injury. He said in the interview I linked that he can't move his fingers very well, but this video was recorded after the injury. I think Phil is exaggerating his injury a bit. He did play drums on that motown album a few years back. He had to tape the drum sticks to his hands, but he got through it. If he really wanted to, he could do it.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 4, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Gianthogweed posted:

I think Phil is exaggerating his injury a bit. He did play drums on that motown album a few years back. He had to tape the drum sticks to his hands, but he got through it. If he really wanted to, he could do it.

Well, recording tracks individually in a studio with breaks and retakes is not the same as performing for 90-120 min live on a demanding schedule.

Yes, I think Collins might be able to record drums in the studio but he may feel that loss of dexterity and being out of practice has reduced his capacity. Maybe also the drive has gone a bit. If bandmates are dithering about new material, have their own projects and so on then there no reason for him to push himself. No one would love it more than me if Genesis recorded new material and/or toured but I don't think Collins will ever drum again, sadly. :(

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Well, recording tracks individually in a studio with breaks and retakes is not the same as performing for 90-120 min live on a demanding schedule.

Well that's what I was talking about, recording a new album, not going on tour. I really just want to hear a new Genesis album with the classic lineup. If they tour, great. But I'm not expecting to have Phil play drums the whole time. That's what Chester's for. But like I said, they're songwriters first. Just try and make an album and worry about performing it later.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What's bill bruford doing these days? Wasn't he in genesis for a tour when Phil wanted to just sing? Just have two drummers so Phil doesn't need to actually do much.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

What's bill bruford doing these days? Wasn't he in genesis for a tour when Phil wanted to just sing? Just have two drummers so Phil doesn't need to actually do much.

Bill's retired too. He's doing lectures.
http://youtu.be/EJd59a47ewY

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Yes, I think Collins might be able to record drums in the studio but he may feel that loss of dexterity and being out of practice has reduced his capacity. Maybe also the drive has gone a bit. If bandmates are dithering about new material, have their own projects and so on then there no reason for him to push himself. No one would love it more than me if Genesis recorded new material and/or toured but I don't think Collins will ever drum again, sadly. :(

Even if he does I don't think he'd want to tackle Los Endos with a pair of 5As taped to his hands

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

Even if he does I don't think he'd want to tackle Los Endos with a pair of 5As taped to his hands

gently caress, I was kicking around the house one day and I decided to gently caress around with Los Endos and I kinda wanted to die after a really sloppy thirty seconds or so. And my hands work fine.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Just saw the documentary. 90min long. All members interviewed (incl. Hackett and Philips). Time given to all periods and solo work - except Philips and Hackett's solo work missed out. Nothing amazingly new if you've seen the archive set interviews but a bit more on the band politics. Too many talking heads not connected to the band. Why documentaries can't have voiceovers with narrative to replace these interviewees I don't know... A lot of ground covered in 90min, worth seeing and nice to have the 5-member group in one studio for photos and interviews.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
There's a video of Steven Wilson & band in the studio with previews of some new stuff, not really sure how I feel about what's in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHxl5Q3pIA

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Just saw the documentary. 90min long. All members interviewed (incl. Hackett and Philips). Time given to all periods and solo work - except Philips and Hackett's solo work missed out. Nothing amazingly new if you've seen the archive set interviews but a bit more on the band politics. Too many talking heads not connected to the band. Why documentaries can't have voiceovers with narrative to replace these interviewees I don't know... A lot of ground covered in 90min, worth seeing and nice to have the 5-member group in one studio for photos and interviews.

Sounds like Hackett got the hatchet again. Apparently they're going to release a Bluray in november that's going to be 4 hours long or something, so maybe they'll do him and Phillips a little more justice then. The guys must need money or something. Steve, I know went through a pricy divorce recently, but at least he's doing a kickass tour to cover his debts.

http://youtu.be/j8JkNq_Ilq8

Gonna catch his Genesis revisited show this november. I saw it last year too, one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

He posted this letter on his website

Steve Hackett posted:

My thanks for all the messages of support which I really appreciate regarding the problem with the BBC Genesis documentary.

It's certainly a biased account of Genesis history and totally ignores my solo work. It does not deliver the theme of "Together and Apart". In interview I spoke at length as much about my solo career as my time in Genesis, but was not given any editorial involvement.

Whilst the documentary's sister project, the R-KIVE box set represents us all equally, the documentary does the opposite. I know the documentary will soon be on sale via various outlets, but I won't be selling this via my own website.

On a positive note, I've just finished my new album due out early next year, and I look forward to seeing everyone again on the upcoming leg of the Genesis Extended tour.

Warmest wishes,

Steve

I like what Steve said in the intro to the interview "this band has a promising past".

As for the reunion? I guess I was wrong. It sounds as if Peter is the one that wants the reunion this time around, but Phil is the holdout.
http://youtu.be/nP4yM_y54n8

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 5, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

http://youtu.be/_FBcz3tBH74?t=45m38s

I really want to make a gif of this. Peter's dance and Phil's reaction. It makes me laugh so hard every time.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

strap on revenge posted:

There's a video of Steven Wilson & band in the studio with previews of some new stuff, not really sure how I feel about what's in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHxl5Q3pIA

Sounds interesting, looking forward to it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Chocobo posted:

Sounds interesting, looking forward to it.

I thought the opening music was the middle bit from Cinema Show. Hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Saw Hawkwind again the other night, they announced they've got a new album coming in March. Along with a new tour - which I've just bought tickets for.

Again, they're not strictly prog. But they're proggy enough to belong in this thread.